Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

When you buy new Clothes, do you wash them first?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
I'm always curious about the habits of other people. Especially when it comes to things that my husband and I are opposite about. When I buy new clothes, I always wash them first before wearing them for the first time. Sure, I try them on before washing them to decide if I'm going to keep them, but that's for only a very short period of time. It's just a thing, that I feel that even though they are "new" they need to be washed to get rid of some of the residues on them, both chemical and biological. Plus all the dust, transportation, all the places it's been, how many people have touched them or tried them on (perhaps even returned them) etc. etc. While on the other hand, my husband always just always puts them on as soon as he gets them and wears them for a full day or so, and then washes them with the next cycle. He never even wears underwear either. I don't know, maybe I'm the "weird" one, thinking that "new" doesn't necessarily mean "clean", or maybe he's the weird one. I don't know.
Antonia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:33 pm      Reply with quote
Embarassed Er, well, um, I have to confess to being one of the gross ones who comes out with my La Senza pretties and just wears them. Something tells me that, after reading your email, I won't be doing that any more...

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:20 pm      Reply with quote
Nope, I wear them first. It saves on laundry Very Happy and I'm just not that paranoid about cleanliness.

Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:30 pm      Reply with quote
I wear them first as well. I hate ironing and the clothes I buy generally come ironed like they never will be again Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:33 am      Reply with quote
I wear them at first as well.Unless they are underwears,bra or lingerie like that.
Rufus
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:05 am      Reply with quote
I can't help myself, I wash anything that lots of people may have pawed through. Embarassed

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:34 am      Reply with quote
Back in the 1980s, a friend of mine used to work in a clothing factory. After she described the factory conditions, I always wash first. Clothes are thrown on a dusty floor during the manufacturing process.

Occasionally, when I'm in a hurry, I'll go ahead and wear the new outfit without washing. I'm not paranoid about it, just reasonably careful, IMHO.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:01 pm      Reply with quote
Paranoid here o/

Especially underthings I wash first, but lately everything. I don't like to buy things that aren't washable either.

One time a friend was trying on some clothes in the fitting room of an upscale store and reached into the pockets to check the fit, as we all seem to do.....I cannot even say here what she found in there.....it was too gross for words... (an article that had been in an internal cavity of a female body).

So, yeah, I wash first, and shake out the pockets before trying on....

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:20 pm      Reply with quote
OK, so I'm not sooo crazy. I know I am more paranoid then most people though. I never used to do this, but then I read some articles about the residues, and noticed how when I bought new sheets or towels, it always instructed me to wash them before first use. And once I bought some jeans on sale that I ended up taking back because when I got home I noticed that they just reeked of perfume, in a really bad way.
Antonia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:40 pm      Reply with quote
Fawnie...eeeeoooow! Gah! :-& Actually, I was thinking about this question while out today buying sheets. I always wash sheets first. I'm a little obsessive over clean sheets but everything else, undies included, I just wear.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:06 pm      Reply with quote
I wash everything before wearing them, both because you don't know who else all tried them on first (and how clean they were) and also for the same reason that you mentioned - to get rid of any chemicals, etc that remain from the manufacturing process. And also I find that new clothes have that crispiness feel to them and I prefer the softer feel you get after washing.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:48 pm      Reply with quote
I wash things first, except socks. New clothes sometimes has a synthetic type smell that's icky.

You know, they used to coat clothing in perservatives to prevent fading under store lights. I don't know if they still do.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:05 am      Reply with quote
It all depends on the type of retail store that I would purchase it from. With upscale, designer clothes, there is no need to wash them first, with exception of lingerie. Even when they cost $500 for a nice French sexy set, I still feel the need to wash them.
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:35 am      Reply with quote
Underwear and sheets I always wash first, but not clothes.

However, when shopping for clothes, after trying something on and I decide to buy it, then I ask for a new one from out the back, which I then try on again to be sure it fits the same. I can be quite a nuisance customer... LOL
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:01 am      Reply with quote
I always wash everything first. For packaged stuff it is to get rid of chemical residue from fabric processing and for rack clothes.. well, anyone who has stood around long enough in a shop to people watch would question wearing new stuff.
All that sweat.. BO.. dead skin... and god knows what else... (horrible little critters have I found..) LOL I must admit to even hating trying on bras in shop and always try to get one that is fresh off the hanger.

Yep, more and more paranoid as I get older....

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:40 pm      Reply with quote
I don't but now reading this forum, I think I'll be washing new items before wearing.
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:50 pm      Reply with quote
I`m also paranoid Laughing
I wash everything that will come in touch with my skin, except socks/stockings.
I can`t stand the idea of wearing smth after smb tried it on...sweat, bacteria, dead skin... or while manufacturing - the clothes were touched by smb`s hands or were lying on the floor...

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:10 pm      Reply with quote
im not too particular about clothes.....but for underwear and chamisoles i do.....i mean other people may have tried it on or something for all i know Confused

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:49 am      Reply with quote
I only wash underwear first. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy and do not wash coats,pants and sweater etc.
yobi
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:17 am      Reply with quote
I wash everything before I wear it.
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:59 am      Reply with quote
I have worked in retail off and on through the years from upscale department stores on down and I have one word for you to consider: RETURNS. Merchandise returns go right back on the rack. Yes, please, do wash clothes before wearing.

Ari

p.s. While in college I worked part-time in a department store that sent returns out to the dry cleaner's. I haven't seen that practice since.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:46 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
While in college I worked part-time in a department store that sent returns out to the dry cleaner's. I haven't seen that practice since.

I've read that some of the most dangerous chemicals are in dry cleaning solutions. Darned if we do; darned if we don't.

I wear mine before washing them. Wish I hadn't read this post because now I'll probably be more OCD about it than I was. It's a germy world. I could easily end up like Howard Hughes........

I’m 60, never smoked, eat healthy, fitness center + hiking, lots of water and nutrients, size 4 jeans Smile, some lower facial sagging, but it’s improving with AALS, Clarisonic, Remergent, L2K, (including her new hand held devices), Ageless exercises, peels, OCM, etc. “This is my face; deal with it.” Annette Bening
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:12 pm      Reply with quote
I always wash first.

You dont know if someone bought it, wore it and then returned it. Also sometimes finishes are applied to clothes to keep them fresh and that can cause an allergic reaction.

A friend once got some kind of rash from trying on bras. Who ever had tried them on before had something contagious. Yuck!
flyflyonly
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:56 pm      Reply with quote
I do not wash coat, but I do wash other clothes which would touch my skin.
The whole process of making clothes are dirty, and be filled with dust.
alphazy
5% products discount

Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:12 am      Reply with quote
It depends on where I buy my clothes from.. if it's from a big department store and it's totally new in the transparent wrapper, I might just now wash it first. I prefer it this way and I found that the colour of it (before any washing) is the most vibrant Smile

Sometimes, the texture of the material is also much better...

I would wash it if I buy it from stores where I know that others have tried this before..
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:57 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |