Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

MOISTURIZERS COULD CAUSE CANCER!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:46 am      Reply with quote
Heard this on the news last week.Many moisturizers contain estrogen which if used daily could possibly cause cancer.....however the moisturizer companies do not list estrogen in the ingredients so there is no way to know WHICH ones have it! Isnt that illegal to NOT list estrogen?
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:36 am      Reply with quote
This is not good news, but thank you for sharing.
Here is a news article with more information about the findings (note that this is a preliminary study that is not yet published in a peer-reviewed journal):

http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/SABCS/12153

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:41 am      Reply with quote
I just read this news, as well. It would be nice if they listed what products they tested! Pretty scary stuff, that is for sure.
Lucia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:35 am      Reply with quote
Hmm might be me but I read this as the estrogens could be a problem for existing estrogen dependant tumours as opposed to causing tumours as such?
Personally while this is certainly concerning I think that the increased prevalence of fortified foods like bread that is fortified with soya (recommended to women here in the uk during menopause as soya contains phyto estrogens) is more of a concern. If you look at labels on breads, certain dairy produce/spreads etc soya has been added. While it has many beneficial effects like most things it can cause problems in certain people.
I am not a doctor nor a scentist, but my personal view on this is similar to my view on parabens (also proported to cause cancer) in that in tiny amounts these will not cause a problem (as hormone like ingredients are in our diet and we are exposed to them all the time - especially our water due to the amount of women on the pill/HRT etc!). Its the continual exposure to these substances over a long period of time with out us being aware of it; that add up to present a potential problem?
Confused

I think its a case of being a smart consumer and making sure you know what you are eating/applying to your skin an weighing up the benfits against the possible issues.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:42 am      Reply with quote
well, not to open ANOTHER can of worms but I had also heard soy is really bad for you! Embarassed I used to always think it was really healthy but there was a whole radio show once devoted to healthful living talking about the evils of soy.
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:49 am      Reply with quote
http://www.the7thfire.com/health_and_nutrition/truth_about_soy.html heres one article on why soy is bad for you.
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:14 pm      Reply with quote
Lucia wrote:
Hmm might be me but I read this as the estrogens could be a problem for existing estrogen dependant tumours as opposed to causing tumours as such?

Yes, it's apparently more problematic for breast cancer patients, but the researcher also points out that healthy patients are at risk in a news article provided by Reuters.

Quote:

Women without breast cancer are also at risk, she added. If they use estrogen -containing topical moisturizers, they may be dosing themselves daily with estrogen for extended periods, thereby boosting their risk of breast cancer.

http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUSTRE4BE5WR20081215

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:40 pm      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:

Yes, it's apparently more problematic for breast cancer patients, but the researcher also points out that healthy patients are at risk in a news article provided by Reuters.

Well, I meant to say healthy people.
Eh?

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
If anybody gets more information on which exact products were tested to have estrogen hormones in them, could they please post the link?
simran
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
this really sounds scary but that particular ingrediant can be in other products other then just moisturizers!

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:29 pm      Reply with quote
Just to add to the soy controversy. I became hypothyroid when I started drinking soy milk and a couple months after I stopped I was back to making normal thyroid levels. So soy is pretty harmful.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:46 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |