Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
Any recommendations for hair rollers (hot ones) please?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Mabsy

Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:44 am      Reply with quote
This is what happens when you're sick or have an injury that keeps you home - you make up new things that you absolutely "NEED". I have three hair straighteners and at my last hairdresser appointment the girl used some big rollers to give my fine limp hair a LOT of volume. So, out with the straighteners and I bought some velcro jumbo rollers but, of course, that requires a lot of time and/or blowdrying. I've been looking at heated ceramic (maybe also ionic?) rollers and have convinced myself that they are my latest NEED item... Rolling Eyes

I'm looking at the Babyliss Pro Ceramic Ion 30 Roller Hairsetter at the moment but given the price I am hoping that someone can persuade me otherwise, in the direction of something cheaper and better (the Babyliss are about $180 in Australia....).

Any recs? TIA!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:59 am      Reply with quote
Hello! The only thing I use to style my hair with is heated rollers (don't use a blow drier, iron or straightner...or hairspray or gel for that matter!) and have done so for the past several years. Over the course I time I have discovered the following:

- look for large sizes with a fuzzy or flocked covering on the roller, rather than a metal or plastic surface to the roller. I find that the ends of my hair don't get dried out with the flocked rollers. However, to be fair, my hair sees the rollers every third day or so (don't wash my hair daily), and if you are only using them occasionally then a 'bare' roller will likely be just fine

- I haven't had the best luck with anything labelled 'quick heat'. I plug mine in and leave them for 20 minutes to heat up. Somehow the fast heating ones do not get as hot, and consequently don't curl my hair as well.

- purchase a set with LARGEJUMBO rollers in them...if I use sets with the largest size being 1 inch, I look like a poodle...the ends of my hair curl tightly but the roots stay flat. The large rollers (1 3/4 or 1 1/2") work well in my chin to shoulder lenght hair to give it a lot of body but not poodle curl the ends up. Search out the details on the set you are looking at as some companies say they have jumbo size rollers in the set, but that roller is only 1 1/4" which isn't big enough (for me!)

- purchase some roller 'jaw clips' if they are available. They do not leave clip marks in your hair and hold the rollers in place securely...my routine in the morning is to put my rollers in and then do my make-up etc. while they are cooling (I leave mine in for 0.5 hr, but that's just how long it takes me to eat breakfast and put on my sunscreen etc.)

- My favourite set of rollers is made by Revlon (in North America) and Vidal Sassoon in the UK. Its the same set of rollers, I can even interchange them between the heating units...I have more than one set as I liked them so much I bought a back-up. This set is fantastic because there are 6 super-size rollers (1 3/4 inch...where most sets the largest size is 1 1/2) 8 regular size and 4 mini.

- All of that said, this particular set has been discontinued but you can still get them on ebay - perhaps a bonus for you in Australia as it might be cheaper? The UK ebay site (www.ebay.co.uk) has a set of the Vidal Sassoon ones so you can see what they look like if you are interested. Item listing number is 350146173357 and the seller is silverdolphin723. Hot rollers are known as 'heated rollers' in some places so if you are performing an internet search for them try both those terms.

- Conair makes a set called 'Big Curls' and they were my second favourite. Largest size roller is 1 1/5" and they do have a flocked cover on the rollers. I have not tried the Baybliss ones.

Let me know if you have any questions or would like some other informaion. I really don't know what I would do without my rollers as I enjoy them that much!
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:28 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy - I have been thinking about getting some myself, so this is very timely!

Myamax - What an AWESOME reply...VERY informative!!

My only question is for people that DO use hair product, doesn't it build up on the flocked rollers? If so, how can you clean them?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:52 pm      Reply with quote
Okay I am the roller queen, I have all rollers mentioned. My hair is a style with layers and it is the length is half way down my neck. My hair is fine but thick and needs(HEAT and products to perform). I generally use a curling iron(or flat iron) after blowing with a round brush to get lots of volume. I think the rollers are healthier for the hair but for me they are harder to get an update style unless your hair is longer. I go through periods of going back to the rollers but it doesn't last long because of two reasons. One is takes time to heat them up, they take counter space, and I end up spending a lot of time trying to get a style that does look lumpy. It could be my hair cut, my hair texture, or my lack of skill but rollers just don't get the style for me. All the rollers mentioned are the best but I would be careful about putting that much money in something that might just be a passing fancy.
Bethany the product doesn't build up on the rollers and for those in the US Sallys carries most of the rollers mentioned.
Toby

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:02 pm      Reply with quote
Toby wrote:
but for me they are harder to get an update style unless your hair is longer.

Hmm...that is a good point. Maybe I'll just stick to my regular non-heated rollers for the time being.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:11 pm      Reply with quote
Bethany if you are getting the look with regular curlers then thes might really work for
you. Sally's has the ones mentioned and the others, I would buy them try them and take them back if not satisfied. Sally's has 60 days return on appliances. You honestly can't tell unless you try. I am all into trying and if I don't like it-----back it goes!!!!If you aren't in the US and shipping is an issue that is a different story.
Toby

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:23 pm      Reply with quote
Toby wrote:
Bethany if you are getting the look with regular curlers then thes might really work for
you. Sally's has the ones mentioned and the others, I would buy them try them and take them back if not satisfied. Sally's has 60 days return on appliances. You honestly can't tell unless you try. I am all into trying and if I don't like it-----back it goes!!!!If you aren't in the US and shipping is an issue that is a different story.
Toby

I think the non-heated ones may work because they don't lock the curl in the way the heated ones do.

But I am growing my hair out, and may rethink my non-heated decision when it gets longer.

Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:38 am      Reply with quote
You guys are the best! Thank you! Myamax, I could kiss you! Smile

What you all have posted is a HUUUUGE help. It basically tells me that I should not really bother with a set of 30 rollers in different sizes, or at least not a set that costs $180 because of it. I'm after volume, so a set of jumbo rollers would be enough for that by the sounds of what myamax wrote. I'll definitely make sure they're covered with something and will get the proper clips. What Toby said makes perfect sense as well, given that I already have three ceramic irons that have now been pushed to the back of the shelf. Who knows how long this "need" will last or how well the rollers will work on my hair.

I'll head to the shops tomorrow and look for the Revlon or VS ones, they will definitely be way cheaper than the Babyliss set. Thank you again!

Now, one last question. How important is whether the rollers are ionic or not? I have very fine hair that likes to get rather frizzy. Do you think it would make a significant difference? Has anyone tried an ionic/ceramic and a standard ceramic set by any chance?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:27 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy wrote:
You guys are the best! Thank you! Myamax, I could kiss you! Smile

Now, one last question. How important is whether the rollers are ionic or not? I have very fine hair that likes to get rather frizzy. Do you think it would make a significant difference? Has anyone tried an ionic/ceramic and a standard ceramic set by any chance?

This is a question that I have also. I have recently read it does make a difference to have the ionic, I would like to know more about this.
Toby

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:56 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy, I am not sure if you have seen this site but they do have a variety of rollers, including sets of just large rollers. I was looking at it only a few days ago.
http://www.myhaircare.com.au/display_sub_cat.php?cat=Electricals&&sub_cat=Hot_Rollers&&g=26&gclid=CNvOz8XV-ZcCFQhJagod5QmcDg

Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:51 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Bushy. I have come across it when I was searching for Babyliss - have you ordered from them at all? I went in to Kmart and BigW today - their offerings in the hot roller department were pretty much non-existent. I'll check out Myer later this week but I think it might end up being an online purchase in the end.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:30 am      Reply with quote
Just today I asked my hairdresser which one they would recommend and I was advised that the best solution for me was a body wave. My hairdresser knows how lazy I am of a morning with my hair as I just want to get out of bed, run my hands through my hair and go. So I think I will go with the body wave.

Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:48 am      Reply with quote
Bushy, please let me know if you end up getting one done. My hair is terrible with perms. The body wave perm I had many years ago literally disappeared in weeks and a tighter one that the hairdresser promised would definitely relax on my hair never relaxed and lasted for MONTHS. Nothing like coming home and your parents telling each other "oh look, we have a second Poodle". Also, my hair has NEVER been the same since, at the time the hairdresser was in awe of my hair and how glossy and smooth it was (she even called the other hairdressers to have a look at it), since then it's been a frizzy dry mess. So for me I think rollers might be best though I also have that morning lazyness trait and hate to do much to my hair...

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:36 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy wrote:
Also, my hair has NEVER been the same since, at the time the hairdresser was in awe of my hair and how glossy and smooth it was (she even called the other hairdressers to have a look at it), since then it's been a frizzy dry mess. So for me I think rollers might be best though I also have that morning lazyness trait and hate to do much to my hair...

That's kinda funny in a sad way, the hairdressed wanted to admire your hair before she destroyed it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:38 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy, I am going to have it done in a couple of weeks time so I will certainly let you know how it goes. I have previously almost had my hair ruined by another hairdresser with a perm and my current hairdresser knows that I will exact retribution if it doesn't turn out properly or makes my hair frizzy and dry.

Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:07 am      Reply with quote
Good luck! I hope it turns out well.

bushy wrote:
Mabsy, I am going to have it done in a couple of weeks time so I will certainly let you know how it goes. I have previously almost had my hair ruined by another hairdresser with a perm and my current hairdresser knows that I will exact retribution if it doesn't turn out properly or makes my hair frizzy and dry.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:35 am      Reply with quote
A roller update!

Afterposting about the different curlers I went back pulled them out and here is my current opinion with broken off damaged hair.

The curlers are much less stress on the hair and the volume they give hides a multitude of sins with the broken off hair. The body they create cause the layers to blend well and give a healthy look. Also the curl and body stay in well and can allow me to go several days without washing my hair which is less stress on the hair. I do however use the rollers daily. So with my current hair issues going back to the rollers is good for now. The rollers I am using are the Babybliss(but Conair makes the same exact set) The are jumbo size and large(jumbo is 1 1/2". These rollers heat up within several minutes and are so hot you have to lay tissue where the roller touches your head. Although they are hot, they aren't a problem in handling to roll the hair. Also the heat isn't too hot for the hair, it sets a lot of volume. I don't leave the curlers in more than five to 8 minutes because I don't want a solid curl. If my hair were longer or didn't have a perm I might need the longer time to set the body and curl.
Conair does have a new set out that you can get on Amazon and Target(on line) for around 23.00 and it has the Jumbo and extra jumbo(12 rollers). This is what I am wanting to get next because it would give great body and a slight curl. http://www.amazon.com/Conair-CHV14J-Instant-Jumbo-Sized-Rollers/dp/B00005A441
Toby

Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:33 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks so much Toby! I'm still on the search for a good set - just keeping my eye out for a good deal actually. I really wish that we had the same prices as in the US, as it is the little travel set of 5 big rollers here costs $50 from Babyliss or Conair.

Of course your post now puts Babyliss in the running again for me. Argh... Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:23 pm      Reply with quote
Mabsy, I had the perm done today and I am ecstatic with the result. It is exactly what I wanted and my hair feels wonderful.
I had it done at a Stefan salon and have been quite impressed at how professional the staff are at assessing the condition of my hair and using the correct products. It wasn't cheap but I was given a home care kit which contains 3 treatments to be done fortnightly until my next visit in 6 weeks time for a trim. They also applied a treatment after the perm was done. It is the first time I have ever had a perm where there was no smell and no irritation on my scalp.
I changed over to Stefans a couple of months ago after having had a very bad hair experience at a beauty salon which almost ruined my hair.

Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:29 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you, Bushy, for following up on this and posting your experience! I'm so glad you're happy with the result! I ended up buying the Big Curls curler set and I'm still trying to get the hang of it. It does work but my hair ends up a bit messy (I've got to work on my technique).

Ironically, it was a Stefan hair salon that had ruined my hair years ago with my first ever perm. I've not gone back there since, which I suppose is a bit unfair since it's not the salon chain but the individual hairdresser that is either bad or good.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:47 am      Reply with quote
I think that some Stefan stores have probably upped their game when there is a lot of competition. When I first visited this store I was asked to sit in a lounge, provided with coffee and biscuits and they spent about 20 minutes discussing my hair and scalp, what had been done to it, what products I was using, whether I had any allergies, whether I had back or neck problems and much more. I do have neck problems but they provide a very comfortable support for my neck and are always checking that everything is ok back/neck wise no matter where I am sitting.
I just love going to this hairdresser whereas, in the past, I found it a necessary chore.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:49 pm      Reply with quote
Mabsy wrote:
Thank you, Bushy, for following up on this and posting your experience! I'm so glad you're happy with the result! I ended up buying the Big Curls curler set and I'm still trying to get the hang of it. It does work but my hair ends up a bit messy (I've got to work on my technique).

Hi Mabsy,
I am not sure what you are utilizing to hold the rollers in your hair - just wanted to note the Conair Super Clips (sold separately from hot rollers) are what I use to keep the rollers secure in my hair. Have had the same set of clips for about 8years now so the $10 spent in purchasing them was a great investment.

I can keep my hair 'tidy' while its in the rollers and they are secure enough to allow movement (bending over a sink to wash your face, get dressed etc.) The rollers cool while you go through your morning routine so to speak, and for that reason they really make it easy to multitask in the morning!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:26 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |