Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Garden of Wisdom 70% glycolic
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
kylesmom9

Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:27 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Everyone,

I've never posted here (usually on another DIY board,) but I've been lurking for some time. Thanks! You are all a wealth of knowledge! Smile

I tried the "70% glycolic" from Ingredients to die for and received something smelling of vinegar that turned out not to be full strength glycolic.

I am looking for glycolic that is comparable to platinum skincare or MUAC 70% glycolic without the hefty price tag. Has anyone actually used the version from the Garden of Wisdom, and can you tell me if it is any good?
pinkberry
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:53 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry I don't know. But you sure about its 70% and meant for at-home use? I thought peel at such strength, even that, 70%?, can only be performed at doctor's office.
kylesmom9

Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:22 pm      Reply with quote
The Garden of Wisdom product is actually meant for use in a finished product...like a DIY glycolic lotion or toner...incorporated at a lower %. The 70% from platinum and MUAC is meant to be diluted for home peel use.

But cosmetic grade glycolic should be the same across the board no matter what the finished product would be. I am just wondering if anyone knows if the quality is the same. Smile
planeart

Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:13 am      Reply with quote
I have ordered Glycolic from GOW many times. (I too first ordered from MUAC and was shocked to know I could get it for so much less.) I have about 3 bottles in my closet right now and am about to make a toner today.

You could always e-mail Markey and ask if it is cosmetic/medical grade but I would be very surprised if she sold anything but. I am confident that it is. She does not tout the 70% as a peel b/c she does not want it being misused by those who don't know what they are doing. Read the info that comes with her product. It won't allow me to post the link here but go to GOW and read the link at the glycolic product listing.

The pH is 1.7 which is good for a strong peel. Read the info about buffering the pH to a higher level.

I have used the Glycolic in everything from cleansers, toners, creams and peels. I do straight peels w/ the 70% and have never had a problem. I would never be without it and having the 70% gives me total DIY freedom. HOWEVER, I know my skin and know what I am doing. I imagine if you are asking you know as well.

Good luck!
kylesmom9

Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:00 am      Reply with quote
Thank you so much planeart! I will order some today. I understand the "no peel" clause from ingredient providers. I have purchased the 88% lactic from other sources with the same warning, it works well in toners and as a peel. I also use a 50% pH 1 glycolic peel, and know my skin well as you do.

Always looking for a good deal as long as it is quality. GOW has a lot of other things I am interested in, so it looks like I have an additional supplier. Very Happy

Thanks again!
planeart

Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:22 pm      Reply with quote
No problem! I have ordered a range of ingredients from her except her ready-made producrts. (only because I like to do my own)

I have never been disappointed. Great prices, great variety, shipping etc.... Also, at the home website there is a link to their user forum which is outstanding. Wonderful, intelligent ladies and no fussing. : )

Have Fun!
obsessedwithskincare

Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:51 pm      Reply with quote
planeart wrote:
No problem! I have ordered a range of ingredients from her except her ready-made producrts. (only because I like to do my own)

I have never been disappointed. Great prices, great variety, shipping etc.... Also, at the home website there is a link to their user forum which is outstanding. Wonderful, intelligent ladies and no fussing. : )

Have Fun!

Hi I am currently using Murad Night Reform Glycolic Treatment, and I am looking for something stronger. Does anyone have any suggestions?
mb935
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:11 pm      Reply with quote
I have the same question and just want to make sure I have this correct from what Ive read:

I too have the MUAC 70% kit.

I am running out of the glycolic and went to GOW's site. I did email Markey but she didnt know what I meant by "acid reducer".

So basically I CAN use the MUAC acid reducer with GOW's glycolic and mix it to the strength I need?

THANKS for any help
kylesmom9

Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:20 pm      Reply with quote
I received the 70% from GOW earlier this week, and yes you can use the same acid reducer to dilute...or just use distilled water for a slightly stronger peel. I have been using one that is unbuffered 50%, and dilluted with distilled water the GOW glycolic is comparably the same thing.

So happy to have found such a great product at a fantastic price. She has some other goodies I am eyeing as well...isn't that always the case? Very Happy
mb935
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:21 pm      Reply with quote
thanks for the info - but now im a bit confused.

distilled water makes the 70% solution stronger??

I will need something to mix with the glycolic once i run out of the acid reducer - i would try distilled water - but not if it makes the solution stronger!!

Thanks...
kylesmom9

Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:12 pm      Reply with quote
The acid reducer from MUAC includes a buffer, so if you use distilled water instead of the acid reducer you will end up with a stronger version of a 50% peel. Does that make sense?

The pH will be higher. It won't be stronger than the original 70% of course. Wink
mb935
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:56 pm      Reply with quote
uh....sorry. I dont get that actually.

Will it burn more with distilled water? Thats what I really want to know??? Smile

and will it have the same effect on the skin.

THANKS AGAIN!
kylesmom9

Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:25 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry Embarassed I was running on assumption that the MUAC acid reducer had some sort of buffer in it. I checked the ingredients and it is mostly deionized water anyhow:
Ing~
Deionized Water, Green Tea Extract, Witch Hazel, Propylparaben.

You should be fine using distilled water.

Wow, I'm glad I didn't go into a whole lesson about pH. Laughing
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:35 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |