Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)
Skin adjusting to retinol
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
LadyStardust
5% products discount

Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:39 pm      Reply with quote
Hello Smile

I've just upgraded from green cream level 3 to level 6 and my skin is going through the dreaded red and flaky stage.
I have pretty sensitive skin and my skin got irritated even at level 3, but adjusted after around 6 weeks and I had no problems with it after that. I was on level 3 for about 8 months.
As soon as I switched to level 6 the same thing happened and I just hate the idea of looking like a sundried tomato for another couple of months.
So this leads me to what might be a really stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway. Laughing If one part of your body gets adjusted to retinol, will the rest of it automatically be as well? Say, if I only use level 6 on my neck until the acclimation period is over and then start using it on my face?
I don't mind a red neck as much as I mind a red face!
tigerlily1997
5% products discount

Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:41 pm      Reply with quote
Laughing
That is a funny question.
If I was a betting woman, I'd say no way.
Every inch of you is new territory for GC discovery.

It does sound like you have very sensitive skin though. Have you tried either emu oil, camellia oil or any other of those healing oils? (seems everyone has their favorite)
They can help you through the tough times.
Idea
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:10 am      Reply with quote
Afraid not.... the body doesn't work like that unfortunately, because each area of you is different it reacts differently when a topical is applied to it... and Green Cream is the same. Some people start out applying it every other day and if you do get peeling then resting the skin with an oil usually helps. Or you could try something like a copper peptide (protect and restore or bioheal for example).
tigerlily1997
5% products discount

Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:43 am      Reply with quote
I think Seany is right. I have read time and time again about copper peptides helping people acclimate themselves to Retin A or retinols in general.
For me it was sort of the reverse. The GC helped me cope with the copper peptides.
At any rate, I am a believer that they seem to work well in conjunction with one another.
But with your sensitive skin, you should go for one of the weaker % of copper peptides like Protect and Restore as suggested.
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:26 am      Reply with quote
i want to be able to start using Retin A but whenever i begin to start, my skin gets very, very dry and flaky. It looks horrible when it is flaky, and make-up does not cover it. So i always end up dis-regarding Retin A

5% products discount

Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:37 am      Reply with quote
SeanySeanUK wrote:
Afraid not.... the body doesn't work like that unfortunately, because each area of you is different it reacts differently when a topical is applied to it... and Green Cream is the same. Some people start out applying it every other day and if you do get peeling then resting the skin with an oil usually helps. Or you could try something like a copper peptide (protect and restore or bioheal for example).

That's what I was afraid of, but I had to ask just in case. Laughing

Tigerlily, I've heard about so many people having awful reactions to CPs lately that I'm terrified of trying them. Confused I got a sample of camellia oil with my Green Cream, I'll try that out.
Thank you both for helping.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:06 pm      Reply with quote
BCgirl wrote:
i want to be able to start using Retin A but whenever i begin to start, my skin gets very, very dry and flaky. It looks horrible when it is flaky, and make-up does not cover it. So i always end up dis-regarding Retin A

You could try a tiny amount of Retin A and only use it 1-2 times a week. Have you tried anything like that?
FinancialLasVegasBrokerNV

Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:19 pm      Reply with quote
Hi members,

Just wanted to say "greetings" and let you know that I'm glad to be a member - I've been a lurker long enough Smile

Looking forward to contributing some and also gaining some knowledge along the way.... mods, feel free to move this if
you need to - thanks.
MystyPines
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:48 am      Reply with quote
Hi LadyStardust!

All I can say is I feel for you. I am going through pretty much the same thing. But, I am told to keep with it, and I will eventually reap the benefits.

I was prescribed Retin-A (Atralin) gel 0.05% and it has been about 1 week now I have been using it. Although, I have no redness yet (other than 1 outside corner of my eye one morning was swollen and red with irritation probably from the Retin-A migrating there while sleeping during the night), I am mostly flakey around the mouth, chin and under nose area. My skin which is usually very oily and slick, is now dry to the touch, and getting itchy in areas. My undereye areas are starting to get dry and look crepey, which I am not happy about. I look like I aged 10 years in 1 week.

My Derm instructed me to use every other night. Now, my skin feels very senstive when I put a moisturizer or sunscreen on. It starts stinging very badly. And, using my Vit. C serum in the morning has become difficult because of the stinging. And, believe me, I can take stinging, I have used AHA 12% Serums, and Juice Beauty Green Apple Peel before. But, this is pretty bad. I have given up using my AHA 12% serumm on my face on the nights in between the Retin-A, to give my face a break.

Please tell me that my undereye areas are not ruined for life. Sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:27 pm      Reply with quote
MystyPines wrote:
Hi LadyStardust!

All I can say is I feel for you. I am going through pretty much the same thing. But, I am told to keep with it, and I will eventually reap the benefits.

I was prescribed Retin-A (Atralin) gel 0.05% and it has been about 1 week now I have been using it. Although, I have no redness yet (other than 1 outside corner of my eye one morning was swollen and red with irritation probably from the Retin-A migrating there while sleeping during the night), I am mostly flakey around the mouth, chin and under nose area. My skin which is usually very oily and slick, is now dry to the touch, and getting itchy in areas. My undereye areas are starting to get dry and look crepey, which I am not happy about. I look like I aged 10 years in 1 week.

My Derm instructed me to use every other night. Now, my skin feels very senstive when I put a moisturizer or sunscreen on. It starts stinging very badly. And, using my Vit. C serum in the morning has become difficult because of the stinging. And, believe me, I can take stinging, I have used AHA 12% Serums, and Juice Beauty Green Apple Peel before. But, this is pretty bad. I have given up using my AHA 12% serumm on my face on the nights in between the Retin-A, to give my face a break.

Please tell me that my undereye areas are not ruined for life. Sad

Hi MystyPines, I just want to commiserate with you, I'm going through the same thing. I just started using Retin A Micro. I used it two nights in a row. The first day after using it I didn't have any problems but after the second night of using it my skin stung whenever I put anything on it and felt dry and was very pink. My face is really peeling, I have all kinds of flakes, mostly around the areas you mentioned the mouth, chin and nose, but today, after not using it for 2 nights my forehead is peeling a little. I am going start using it every other night or every three nights. I hope the flakies, itchies and pinkness subside soon. I'm not sure about what to do for these symptoms. I've been using moisturizer in the morning and peeling skin from my face all day!
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:37 pm      Reply with quote
MystyPines, you have my sympathy. I'm afraid I was never able to acclimatize to Retin A myself so I use only an OTC retinoid. Have you asked your derm for a cream based version of Retin A? I've heard that gel based retinoids are more likely to cause irritation.
MystyPines
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:45 am      Reply with quote
Well, the Retin-A I am using is the lowest percentage and it is supposed to be moisturizing according to the website (see below).

I realized that my eye cream (Skinceuticals Eye Balm) has AHA's in it, I didn't realize it, I thought it was just a basic moisturizing eye cream. So I may have to look for a moisturizing eye cream only, while using Retin-A. Also, my only face moisturizer is the Skinceuticals Hydrating B5 Gel, so I may have to actually get a lotion as my moisturizer now since my skin is becoming flakey and dry.

ATRALIN™ (tretinoin) Gel 0.05% contains tretinoin, an effective ingredient for treating acne breakouts and preventing future breakouts from happening.1 In fact, many dermatologists prescribe a tretinoin because it works so well—even on tough acne. But unlike other acne medications, ATRALIN™ Gel is the only tretinoin formulation that features a unique combination of ingredients that are known to moisturize and hydrate skin.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:27 pm      Reply with quote
Retin A Micro is supposed to have more moisturizing ingredients in it than regular Retin A too, but I guess that doesn't help with the side effects for some people.
bren21
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:39 pm      Reply with quote
I have been on retin-a .05% cream for almost a month. I first started a retinoid last year with Green Cream Lv3 for about a month and then quickly upped to Lv6 for about 4 or 5 months. I think the Green Cream really prepped my skin for retin-a as I had no problems what so ever with any reaction to the Green Cream.

I use retin-a nightly all over, under my eyes etc...and have had no reactions to report except for flakies under the nose, the chin and around my mouth which seems to be the area that most have reactions. I also had a few red patches on my chin. I simply just slacked off applying on those areas until they cleared up and have begun applying there again. Still have slight flaking, but no redness again as of yet.

If you are having trouble with switching to GC Lv6, I would keep using the Lv3 and throw in a LV6 night every few days or so, then slowly build up until you are completely switched over to LV6. That may give your skin time to acclimate itself to the stronger level.....Green Cream is awesome though and I am certainly glad I used it.

Female: 42...Fair/Dry...Brown Hair/Green Eyes...Using: Born Again MSM Cream...Country Divine Emu Serum...Juvederm...Botox...Retin-A .05%...Easy Eye Solutions...Started 2/9/12 with Skin Bio Skin Signals Cream and TTT, Spot treating with TriRed
madeline
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:21 pm      Reply with quote
I started using poetry in lotion (contain 1.0% retinol). I put it on two nights in a row without irritation. On the third night I started to feel a sunburning sensation so I skipped that night and used it the next night despite the irritation. I had a tough day today. I woke up with the corner of my eye burning and my face was swollen, pink and flaking a bit. I washed it with a mild cleanser and some cold water. I really want this to work but I feel a little discouraged. My eyes look like shriveled poop. I will try the camelia oil but are there any other remedies? Please share your success story to give the retinol newbies a little motivation. I need it right now.

P.S. My husband thinks I'm out of my mind! Sad
bren21
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:33 pm      Reply with quote
I was able to start retinol right away every night with Green Cream...my skin tolerated it well. Some people cannot tolerate it that often right away and need to start out every other or even 2 to 3 days apart. That will give you skin time to adjust. Don't try and do it every night right away if your skin is reacting that way......give your irritated skin a rest now and wait until the redness and swelling go away and then start out every 2 or 3 days and work your way to every night from there....

Just take it slow:)

Female: 42...Fair/Dry...Brown Hair/Green Eyes...Using: Born Again MSM Cream...Country Divine Emu Serum...Juvederm...Botox...Retin-A .05%...Easy Eye Solutions...Started 2/9/12 with Skin Bio Skin Signals Cream and TTT, Spot treating with TriRed
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:04 pm      Reply with quote
madeline wrote:
I started using poetry in lotion (contain 1.0% retinol). I put it on two nights in a row without irritation. On the third night I started to feel a sunburning sensation so I skipped that night and used it the next night despite the irritation. I had a tough day today. I woke up with the corner of my eye burning and my face was swollen, pink and flaking a bit. I washed it with a mild cleanser and some cold water. I really want this to work but I feel a little discouraged. My eyes look like shriveled poop. I will try the camelia oil but are there any other remedies? Please share your success story to give the retinol newbies a little motivation. I need it right now.

P.S. My husband thinks I'm out of my mind! Sad

Try some aloe vera gel, Epicuren makes a good one. You can keep it in the refigerator so it feels cool on your skin when you put it on.
Barksdale
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:52 am      Reply with quote
It takes about 3-6 weeks.
madeline
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:16 am      Reply with quote
I will try the aloe vera. This morning my skin didn't feel as bad as yesterday but it looks a lot worse. Lines in my forehead that I never knew existed are visible, and the skin under my eye is red, dry and shriveled. I don't want to leave the house. Rose water is very helpful in soothing the area. That and olive oil feel nice on my skin. Has anyone else had dry shriveled skin under there eye from retinol that went away? It looks and feels burned. I am going to Califonia in a week and a half. Should I stop using it until I come back or would that mess me up even more. I'm thinking that using every four days might be ok. What do you think? I would also like to know why this happens with retinol. What is it doing that makes the skin act this way? I know it increases cell turnover but why is it so drying?
bren21
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:01 pm      Reply with quote
Believe me....I have had this happen before. It was right before my trip to Mexico last month. I had "burnt" the skin under my eye and certain areas on my face about 2 weeks prior. I think the culprit may have been either the 40% glycolic I tried or a combo of a few products. It does look terrible, red shriveled up and I thought I was scarred for life!!! I just gave my skin a rest and it calmed down after a week or so, just in time for my vacation.

I would apply the retin after all has calmed down and take it slow like every 3rd night. I would not apply under my eye area all that often as they do say that retin-a will migrate a bit even if you don't put it directly under the eye area (this was told to me about Green Cream as well) so technically your eye is getting a bit if you still apply on the upper cheek bone but not directly under the eye....do that for a while then throw in a retin night under the eye say once a week while doing the rest of the face every 3rd. Then just work your way up from that.....

I don't think this is permanent so chin up and don't worry!! Believe me, I have been there done that!!! Very Happy

madeline
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:31 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
I had "burnt" the skin under my eye and certain areas on my face about 2 weeks prior. I think the culprit may have been either the 40% glycolic I tried or a combo of a few products. It does look terrible, red shriveled up and I thought I was scarred for life!!!

Oh good! I was worried all day. My eyes look like they aged 10 years but they're not as sensitive as they were this morning. I'm taking your advice and skipping the retinol tonight and keeping it away from my eyes for good. Thank you!!! Very Happy
luvyourskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:21 pm      Reply with quote
I have been using Retinol A for about 20 years, and I use the strongest concentration. The last 10 years, I have only been using it about twice a week, and only at night. This keeps me in the maintenance mode.
Al ways remember the trick is to only use a small amount the size of a pea for your entire face. People do tend to think that more is better but with Ret.A this is not the case. To make the small amount cover your face smooth with a very light touch. Sometimes I dab tiny dots on my cheeks forehead and chin, and then gently blend.
When I first started, I used it every other day and only at night. If you find that is still irritating, try every 2 days. You will see that your skin will adjust and just play it by ear.
Just for the record I have always used it only at night.
summer2004
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:45 am      Reply with quote
MystyPines wrote:
......I am mostly flakey around the mouth, chin and under nose area. My skin which is usually very oily and slick, is now dry to the touch, and getting itchy in areas. My undereye areas are starting to get dry and look crepey, which I am not happy about. I look like I aged 10 years in 1 week.

My Derm instructed me to use every other night. Now, my skin feels very senstive when I put a moisturizer or sunscreen on. It starts stinging very badly. And, using my Vit. C serum in the morning has become difficult because of the stinging......(

Hi MystyPines,

My skin reaction to Taz is 100% same as yours to Retin A: oily skin turned to dry, no redness but itchy & flakey. I can take the said side effects but not the stinging feeling when applying sunscreen and Vit C serum.

1 month ago I followed the advice in the forum to apply Taz (0.05% gel) twice a week and then moved up to 3 times a week 2 weeks later.

Few days ago I stopped Taz completely as I really couldn't bear the burning sensation when applying sunscreen and Vit C serum. Even without Taz, my skin still feels like burning & dry.

I'd like to know if you have gone through the "adjustment" period. If so, how long? Also, any tip of reducing the stinging sensation? For you info, I have already put moisturizer on my skin before Taz.
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:13 am      Reply with quote
While I see that this is an old post that has been resurrected, I do hope everyone's skin has adjusted to their new routines.

I just wanted to add some things to this discussion that might help someone else with this issue.

Whenever you try out a new product, it is always a good idea to take things slowly. Esp if your skin is telling you to slow down by showing signs of irritation (redness, flakiness).

Ladystartdust - you, for example, could introduce your Level 6 GC by using it once per week that first week (along w/ your level 3 on the other days) and adding a day in every week or so until your skin got use to the higher strength.

For others that try out retinols or retinoids (like Retin A), try them every other day or 3X/wk until your skin gets acclimated to the product. The first year you use Retin A, you can use it daily, and then drop down to a maintenance schedule like 2 or 3X per wk. But you have to build up to a daily use (and you may not even need to get to that daily one, since an every other day use is just fine for most ppl).

This same advice can apply to CPs too. Go slowly with them and/or start w/ the most gentle product. The gentlest is the Super GHK, then the P & R. (The Bioheal is not recommended for the face) I found that using CPs worked great w/ my Retin A/Tazorac at diminishing the redness/flakiness. AND, the retinoids give that exfoliation that the CPs need.

Also, w/ retinoids (and this might apply to the stronger retinols, like GC Level 6) -if you are showing the irritation, then you should also try to wait about 30 minutes after cleansing before applying the product. Applying to moist skin can cause more irritation.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:18 am      Reply with quote
Mystypines - if you were experiencing irritation while trying the retinoid, it was probably due to your ALSO using an AHA. That was too much for your skin. The Vit C would also cause irritation due to the low pH of the product. Way too many acids at once. Better to move slowly and alternate days w/ products. Esp try just one active/day.

Glad that you realized your eye cream had an AHA in it (and that you stopped using it). I hope all is well now.

Quote:

Please tell me that my undereye areas are not ruined for life.

Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:37 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |