Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Scared to stop Retin A..
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Anastasia111

Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:01 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone, Ive been using Trenitoin 0.1% for about a year and a half now and have just recently noticed a lot of redness occurring on my nose and cheeks. Also a slight burning sensation. My doctor said i should try Differin 0.1% and see how that works. He said i would also be less sensitive to the sun. What i was wondering is, Does Differin help with fine lines and wrinkles like Retin A does? Im scared to get off Retin A but i dont want a Red face either. Thank you sooo much!
Yiying
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:14 pm      Reply with quote
I heard Products containing retinol are the most effective things for anti-aging skincare,but retinol may bring irritation and inflammation,make your skin peeling and dry. It is not good if you have fore-mentioned symptoms.

If the symptoms lasts, it's better to stop using the product or chang to a product containing less retinol.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:27 pm      Reply with quote
Differin is a retinoid, so it may have some of the same anti-wrinkle benefits of Retin A.

You can read about it here:

http://www.smartskincare.com/treatments/topical/retinoids.html
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:32 pm      Reply with quote
Anastasia111 wrote:
Hi everyone, Ive been using Trenitoin 0.1% for about a year and a half now and have just recently noticed a lot of redness occurring on my nose and cheeks. Also a slight burning sensation. My doctor said i should try Differin 0.1% and see how that works. He said i would also be less sensitive to the sun. What i was wondering is, Does Differin help with fine lines and wrinkles like Retin A does? Im scared to get off Retin A but i dont want a Red face either. Thank you sooo much!

Your doctor is right. You would be less sensitive to the sun with Differin. It also has some anti-ageing effects similar to tretinoin but may be a bit weaker than tretinoin since it works on a smaller range of receptors in the skin compared to tretinoin.

Are you on Tretinoin for acne? 0.1% is a strong dose just for lines and wrinkles. An alternative is for you to drop down the % to 0.05%. And to get a less drying formulation. Renova is more emollient, less irritating to the skin compared to Retin A.
beautylove
5% products discount

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:13 am      Reply with quote
retinoid is too strong for sensitive skin. I suggest retinol or retinaldehyde . They are safe even though slow and slight.
Oakview
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:49 am      Reply with quote
I used Retin A nightly for over a year. I now use it several times a week and a retinol containing product on the other nights. Could you reduce your useage and maintain the same positive effects? It works for me.
keli13
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:20 am      Reply with quote
I agree with mlrox, if you are using Retin-A for anti aging and not acne you might want to drop down to the next lower dose and see how your skin does, otherwise give the Differin a shot. If your not happy with it go back to Retin-A.
Anastasia111

Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:16 am      Reply with quote
The other thing that has worried me is that i have these patches of small veins on my face after using retin a in which i stated in a previous post. Im only 21 and my brothers and sisters who are in their 30's don't have these red veins on their face. I'm concerned the retin a has caused these lines even though my derm insists that there is absolutely no way that retin a could cause these. Im considering getting them removed but he also said there is a 40 percent chance they will come back. Im stuck between a rock and a hard place because i love what retin a has done for my skin, but at the same time i dont want to have a face full of broken capillaries. I finally found something that made my face look good (blackhead/acne free and smooth) and now im back to square one. This is so frustrating its making me miserable.
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:54 pm      Reply with quote
Since Retin A helps with fine wrinkles, can you dab retin A under eyes to help with fine lines?

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:08 pm      Reply with quote
If you can get hold of it, Renova is better for using under the eyes. It has an emollient base and is free of alcohol (unlike retin A which does contain alcohol). And use a lower concentration. The lowest that you can get. 0.025% or 0.01%. Note that most doctors prescribe 0.1% for acne. This is TOO STRONG to be using under the eyes. So please check the concentration before you purchase. And also be warned that the skin under the eyes will get worse initially ("crepey" look). This is expected and will improve over time. It may take up to a year for you to get visible improvements with using tretinoin under the eyes but it does get better if you persist. There are many people who have posted about this on other forums.
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:10 pm      Reply with quote
Anastasia111 wrote:
The other thing that has worried me is that i have these patches of small veins on my face after using retin a in which i stated in a previous post. Im only 21 and my brothers and sisters who are in their 30's don't have these red veins on their face. I'm concerned the retin a has caused these lines even though my derm insists that there is absolutely no way that retin a could cause these. Im considering getting them removed but he also said there is a 40 percent chance they will come back. Im stuck between a rock and a hard place because i love what retin a has done for my skin, but at the same time i dont want to have a face full of broken capillaries. I finally found something that made my face look good (blackhead/acne free and smooth) and now im back to square one. This is so frustrating its making me miserable.

Are you using any other strong actives apart from retin A? It seems unlikely that retin A would cause the problem with the capillaries. Usually it would be strong AHA (acids) because they thin the skin.

Are you using a high protection sunblock? You must use a photostable sunblock with good blocking of UVA rays. Otherwise your skin is more sensitive to damage from the sun while you're on retin A.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:44 pm      Reply with quote
Anastasia111 wrote:

I'm older than you, but I have the broken caps, as well. I did not notice them until after I had been on Retin A. My nurse told me that Retin A was what caused the broken caps, but a forum member (Keliu) pointed out a website that said Retin A actually helps with the broken caps. I think what is happening is that you are just now able to see the caps since using Retin A due to the Retin A getting rid of any sun damage you may have had.
SkinCareJunkie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:22 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Anastasia111 wrote:

I'm older than you, but I have the broken caps, as well. I did not notice them until after I had been on Retin A. My nurse told me that Retin A was what caused the broken caps, but a forum member (Keliu) pointed out a website that said Retin A actually helps with the broken caps. I think what is happening is that you are just now able to see the caps since using Retin A due to the Retin A getting rid of any sun damage you may have had.

I post on the Skin Type Solution forum and Dr. Baumann stated that retinoids can cause telangesctasia (broken blood vessels) She said they can be removed with IPL.
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:26 pm      Reply with quote
I have heard about Retin A causing these blood vessels. I think the strength you were on was pretty strong. Since you are only 21 and you have seen improvement, why not switch to a lower dose? I think it might cause less blood vessel formation. I would not worry too much about Differin vs Retin A either. I think both would be fine. Retain A type products definately increase blood flow in the skin. They make my skin glowing although sometimes slightly pink at times. This probably would be due to the increased vessel formation. I have had V beam laser on a few of them in the past. It was quick, painless, cheap, and it worked.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:18 am      Reply with quote
Amonavis, that is what I am looking to do, the V-beam laser. Can you send me a PM telling me more about it?
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:01 am      Reply with quote
Last week when I went for a peel the cosmetician noticed brokens caps on my cheeks. She saw them using a high powered magnifying glass (which I will not be running out to buy thank you very much Mad She also suggested a light treatment called IPL Photorejuvenation. She gave me literature on it but I haven't read it yet.

Amonavis how many treatments did you have before finding results?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:16 pm      Reply with quote
Alley, please let me know what you find out about the IPL. I called 2 places and 1 said V-beam, the other said IPL! I have read somewhere that some people had success with the IPL, while others did not, but I have not heard really anything about the v-beam (at least that I can remember!).
Anastasia111

Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:36 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you guys alot. i think im gonna stick on the retin a and drop down to .04 micro. Do you still use retin a Rileygirl? And can i use a spray on tan (mystic tan) while on retin a? Thanks yall!!! Smile
mandm
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:08 pm      Reply with quote
Anastasia111 wrote:
Thank you guys alot. i think im gonna stick on the retin a and drop down to .04 micro. Do you still use retin a Rileygirl? And can i use a spray on tan (mystic tan) while on retin a? Thanks yall!!! Smile

In my opinion, the suggestion that your doctor mentioned is wise.
It would be best avoid use a spray tan while on retin a.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:15 am      Reply with quote
Anastasia111 wrote:
Do you still use retin a Rileygirl?

I do still use Retin A, Anastasia111. I use Retin A every other night, and the ZO Skin Health Radical Night Repair on the "off" nights.
vigirl
5% products discount

Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:43 am      Reply with quote
Hi Anastasia 111 -
I can tell you from personal experience that sunless tanners (I don't think it would matter if they are spray or lotion) are a bad idea with retin a. The retin a bleaches the fake tan in an ugly stripey patchy orange kind of way. I suppose if you stopped the retin a a few days before and exfoliated really well, and then didn't use it again until the tan had worn off it might work - but I looked like the great pumpkin on a really bad day Sad

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:57 am      Reply with quote
Anastasia111 wrote:

You might want to buy a LED(photo rejuvenation lighttherapy) device against rosacea, they have them against acne too.

here they sellt hem:http://www.lightstim.com/rosacea-light.html
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:40 am      Reply with quote
OK well with Trenitoin, 0.1% is the high strength stuff, and most people start out with lower dose (such as the 0.5%). Also can I just double check that you are using sun protection here… as the Trenitoin can make your skin much more susceptible to UVA/UVB damage.

What kind were you using? Gel, Cream, MicroGel. The microgel is my personal favourite (and it comes in the 0.1% but also 0.04% as well) but its better for oily skinned people, as it is kind of time released, so it doesn’t hit the skin’s derma levels with the full 0.1% strength trenitoin, but others prefer the cream, and some like the regular gels… so it really depends on the condition of your skin.

But your doing the best thing with talking with your doctor, as he will no doubt be able to guide you based on your general health and skin type… and Differin is a retinoid, so will do a similar thing to the trenitoin, just may need a little longer, but the most important thing with Trnitoin or Retinoids, is that you need to use them regularly. Stopping and starting is never a good idea. I see you say you have used it for a year and half now… and am guessing it might have just been too strong a level for you to use, but its worth while asking your doctor if you could get it in a weaker preparation, such as 0.25% or even 0.5% as these are low strengths but don’t overpower the skin as much as the 0.1% would.
baby
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:30 pm      Reply with quote
I would stay on retin A. My doc told me that differin reddens the skin. It didn't work for me. My skin's clear and i'm on retin A
masaholly
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:16 pm      Reply with quote
i am also facing the problem that the cap appear over my nose and I hv do several time of vbeam , the the nose become less redness but acne come out again....I just want to know will the cap form again even I stop the use of retin a? I dare not use both retin a and AHA any more and theredness over my nose is quite weird
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:13 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |