Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)
Can I stop Obagi?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:42 pm      Reply with quote
I have been on Obagi Nu Derm for 2 months. I am 26 and I had good skin to begin with. My pores are now smaller and my tone and texture is now MUCH improved. The texture on my cheeks is great in particular. The reasons I want to stop Obagi are as follows:
-my skin wasnt too bad to begin with, and I feel i've hit a plateau
-Obagi still makes my skin burnt looking, although the peeling now isnt't as bad as before
-Obagi makes my skin sensitive and prone to damage ex. it nicks easily, and i get more sleep creases while using Nu Derm. I switched to a satin pillowcase but I still get some creases, and one of them has stayed and it is a small wrinkle now. Sad

Am I ready to stop yet? I was thinking of putting the products away for now, and doing some Vitalize peels (to see if I can repair some of the depressed acne scars I have) as well as my new sleep crease Rolling Eyes .

I would still use Retin A or Tazorac, and would still use the Obagi C serum if I stopped, as maintenance.

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts. Thanks!
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:06 pm      Reply with quote
It sounds like your skin might need some down time, as opposed to some peels.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:16 pm      Reply with quote
I was thinking of using nothing for 2 weeks to allow my skin to get back to normal. I find that when I stop Obagi for 2 days the redness is gone and my skin looks great and glowing again! However when Im using the products my skin is red and people ask me if I am burnt. When I started Obagi I didnt expect to be red past the 6 weeks and I didn't really expect my skin to get so easily damaged. Do you think 2 weeks is enough to wait for peels, or should I wait a long time? The doctor who performs the vitalize peels says to discontinue Retin A, Vit C, glycolic acid etc. 3 days prior to the peel.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:30 pm      Reply with quote
I seriously doubt that your skin is damaged...Nu Derm is a clinically proven rejuvenation program. But it certainly might be traumatized!

And if you didn't realize that you were going to be red the whole time, well...you are not alone. A lot of people start it without researching what they are REALLY getting into. Heck...you made it 8 weeks, which is 6 weeks longer than me, lol. I knew how bad it was going in, but my skin could not handle it.

I would suggest skipping the peels for now...you just did a ton of exfoliation, and I am betting that you still have some significant inflammation. I would personally wait a wonth, stay on your maintenance program, and make a decision about what you still need after a month.

In the meantime, I would research some other options for your scars like dermarolling.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:42 am      Reply with quote
Sorry I didn't really mean my skin is damaged. It is just very sensitive and prone to damage. Which is why I think I keep getting these sleep creases. But my face looks really good, better than before. I just dont want any new permanent marks to show up. Confused
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:38 am      Reply with quote
amonavis, you are very young and sound to have good skin. Why did you start Nu Derm (I don't remember if you had pigmentation problems or not)? If you don't have any pigmentation issues that you are still working on, you could stop. Like you said, continue using the retinoid at night (every other night or less is fine at your age), a topical C in the morning, and most importantly sunscreen every day.

That said, you will hit a plateau with Nu Derm. Your skin can only "turn over" so fast. So you are finished with the "out with the old" cycle, and are in the "in with the new" cycle. You won't see much improvement externally in the coming weeks, but your skin will continue to improve on a deeper level and become healthier. As for the redness, I think that is coming from the Exfoderm and if you decide to continue on with the Nu Derm, then cut that down to only 1-2 times a week. Your redness will greatly improve if you do that and since you have already done the important first cycle, you won't hinder any progress.
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:39 am      Reply with quote
I think you'ver used a lot of Exfoliation cream on your face! Use just a small amount like a pea-size on the whole of the face. Once you start using Obagi products and your skin is "better", you have to maintain the results, otherwise, the "bad" skin that you are trying to improve will come back (not good!).

amonavis wrote:
I have been on Obagi Nu Derm for 2 months. I am 26 and I had good skin to begin with. My pores are now smaller and my tone and texture is now MUCH improved. The texture on my cheeks is great in particular. The reasons I want to stop Obagi are as follows:
-my skin wasnt too bad to begin with, and I feel i've hit a plateau
-Obagi still makes my skin burnt looking, although the peeling now isnt't as bad as before
-Obagi makes my skin sensitive and prone to damage ex. it nicks easily, and i get more sleep creases while using Nu Derm. I switched to a satin pillowcase but I still get some creases, and one of them has stayed and it is a small wrinkle now. Sad

Am I ready to stop yet? I was thinking of putting the products away for now, and doing some Vitalize peels (to see if I can repair some of the depressed acne scars I have) as well as my new sleep crease Rolling Eyes .

I would still use Retin A or Tazorac, and would still use the Obagi C serum if I stopped, as maintenance.

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts. Thanks!
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
amonavis, you are very young and sound to have good skin. Why did you start Nu Derm (I don't remember if you had pigmentation problems or not)? If you don't have any pigmentation issues that you are still working on, you could stop. Like you said, continue using the retinoid at night (every other night or less is fine at your age), a topical C in the morning, and most importantly sunscreen every day.

That said, you will hit a plateau with Nu Derm. Your skin can only "turn over" so fast. So you are finished with the "out with the old" cycle, and are in the "in with the new" cycle. You won't see much improvement externally in the coming weeks, but your skin will continue to improve on a deeper level and become healthier. As for the redness, I think that is coming from the Exfoderm and if you decide to continue on with the Nu Derm, then cut that down to only 1-2 times a week. Your redness will greatly improve if you do that and since you have already done the important first cycle, you won't hinder any progress.

Hi Rileygirl,

Yes the whole reason I actually started this program was to fix bad skin texture and mild but bothersome hyperpigmentation. I think it resulted from too many weekly lactic acid chemical peels. At the time I was using an unstable sunscreen, which I found out later. Anywho, the peeling has given me my old skin texture back and my skin is lighter and babylike, but ONLY when I stop using the products for 3 days. When I am on the products, I look like hell Bad Grin

There is still one small area of pigmentation that I have on my cheek. I never actually noticed it until a month after I started with Obagi. I think this is because you are forced to examine your skin and obsess over your skin more than you would otherwise. It is not really noticeable, and I'm not sure what it is. I doubt it is melasma, it might be a small patch of PIH. It is so light that I doubt that anyone can see it, and I can only sort of see it in certain lighting. I thought it should be gone after 2 months since I hear some people saying their pigmentation fades in like 2 weeks. So maybe its just too deep to fade?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:38 pm      Reply with quote
amonavis, I have to tell you that my pigmentation did not even start to fade until I hit the 3 month mark! It really is an individual thing in how long it takes for the fading to start. Again, though, if you are happy with your skin now and don't want to go through the "uglies" then just keep using your actives and good sunscreen and see how you get on. You may want to give a break to your skin and see how you are looking before deciding if you want to continue or not.

I know it is rough going through it and one doesn't always look too pretty through the process, but I think in the end probably 99% of the people who have used Nu Derm (the right way!) the 18 weeks say they are glad they kept it up and it really improved their skin. Keep us posted what you are doing and how it is going!
mtview
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:44 pm      Reply with quote
I am another one who didn't benefit from obagi. I was red from beginning to the end (3 months or 4 months). I got tired of people asking me if I was ok or if I had a fever.

My flushing and sensitivity didn't go away until much later, I think maybe 6 months after I stopped the whole obagi routine.

I would definitely wait longer than 2 weeks before trying another tx or peels.

Good luck!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:23 am      Reply with quote
I agree with Rileygirl Smile I would say 99% who have used Obagi is happy with the results, including me of course. For my age (don't ask!), I think I looked pretty good. People thought that I am in my early late 20's to 30's which I am not.... Proper diet, exercise, no stress, sleep well all contribute to good health of mind and skin, but of course, don't forget OBAGI!!! THEY ARE THE BEST IN THE MARKET!!!! AND THE PRICE IS REASONABLE Smile Smile Smile

Once you get the results, please maintain by using the Obagi products (don't stop!) and your skin will thank you for it, believe me Smile

rileygirl wrote:
amonavis, I have to tell you that my pigmentation did not even start to fade until I hit the 3 month mark! It really is an individual thing in how long it takes for the fading to start. Again, though, if you are happy with your skin now and don't want to go through the "uglies" then just keep using your actives and good sunscreen and see how you get on. You may want to give a break to your skin and see how you are looking before deciding if you want to continue or not.

I know it is rough going through it and one doesn't always look too pretty through the process, but I think in the end probably 99% of the people who have used Nu Derm (the right way!) the 18 weeks say they are glad they kept it up and it really improved their skin. Keep us posted what you are doing and how it is going!
isa09
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:14 pm      Reply with quote
Amonavis,
I empathize with you. I too had redness and peeling into to my 8th week. I decided to decrease the amount of product that i was using. i thought i was using a pea size amount--must have been monster sized peas.
what a difference with less! less flushing sensitivity, better color tone. I still have some peeling but my skin looks healthier.
sometimes less is more!
baby
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:43 pm      Reply with quote
I wouldn't stop it completely. Maybe use it every couple days and use more if you feel that you need it.
lilybear
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:47 pm      Reply with quote
It is when you look at the ingredient list that you want to stop Obagi... there is a reason you have the age old " I hit the plateau " response. When you start to read about silicones, well it sure made sense to me. If you want a great product line without the nonsense that will start to protect you for aging, look at the NaturDerm products. You probably don't need to start the non botox, theirs is one of few that doesn't use the preservative filled Argireline but pure AH 3 and is called Naturdermx. The Chrysalyx is fabulous, nothing smells as great as it does and it does it all, the Triple Lavender Face Foam is fabulous too.
yangten01

Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:23 am      Reply with quote
My dermatologist gave me obagi clear and blender with retin A 1% that i have been using everyday for brown spots i had all over my body, chest, back, hands and legs. I applied the clear am/pm and used the blender with Retin A every night. Im into my third week and now i look like a monster, its summer time while all my friends are wearing open clothing i am wearing full length clothing to cover up what i am starting to look like. I have read a lot of the comments here and it motivated me to keep using it but now im starting to get really scared since my body is peeling, redness, itching and new looking scabs are appearing on places that i didnt even have the brown spots to start with. I am asian and i have pretty good and healthy skin and I am 21. I dont know what is causing this but now i have starting to pick on them and they look worse I think i am ready to stop using it. I have an appointment on Monday and hoping my skin will get back to normal. Now i am regretting buying this product, id rather have my old scars back than to look like this. Someone whose been in this situation pleaszzzzz hellllppppp!!!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:55 am      Reply with quote
yangten01, you definitely need to talk to your dermatologist. They should be monitoring you and telling you how much to apply and when, as well as watching for any reactions you might have to the products. You said you are in your 3rd week, so you are very early into the cycle if your derm has you on an 18 week plan, which is normal. Things will look worse before they look better. That is how the Nu Derm is. You are going through the 1st 6 week cycle of "out with the old". My 2 cents though, if your skin is good and healthy like you say, and you are only 21, you should not be on Nu Derm.
yangten01

Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:26 am      Reply with quote
Thank you rileygirl. Yea i understand that im on the first stages of out with the old but new sores appearing everywhere just does not seem normal. For the past couple days it is also starting to hurt. How long do you thing it will take for the redness and everything to go away if i completly stop using this product.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:26 am      Reply with quote
I really am not sure how long it will take for the sores to go away, yangten01. I would definitely make sure your derm sees the areas and he/she should have something for you to use on the areas to help them heal. In the meantime, you could try a zinc diaper rash cream on the areas. That may relieve some of the soreness. I am sure you will heal quickly being young and healthy! Very Happy
azumma
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:18 pm      Reply with quote
yangten01 wrote:
My dermatologist gave me obagi clear and blender with retin A 1% that i have been using everyday for brown spots i had all over my body, chest, back, hands and legs. I applied the clear am/pm and used the blender with Retin A every night. Im into my third week and now i look like a monster, its summer time while all my friends are wearing open clothing i am wearing full length clothing to cover up what i am starting to look like. I have read a lot of the comments here and it motivated me to keep using it but now im starting to get really scared since my body is peeling, redness, itching and new looking scabs are appearing on places that i didnt even have the brown spots to start with. I am asian and i have pretty good and healthy skin and I am 21. I dont know what is causing this but now i have starting to pick on them and they look worse I think i am ready to stop using it. I have an appointment on Monday and hoping my skin will get back to normal. Now i am regretting buying this product, id rather have my old scars back than to look like this. Someone whose been in this situation pleaszzzzz hellllppppp!!!

Yangtan01, you need to wait to see the results.
chyi
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:36 am      Reply with quote
it seems your skin need down time, but donnot chang skincare at one time, try other crean fiest, then, toner, serum..
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:45 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |