Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.
 
 back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in



pH Advantage Basics, One-Step Cleanser Fragrance-Free (236 ml / 8 floz) Dr Dennis Gross Clinical Concentrate Radiance Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) glotherapeutics Gentle Enzyme Exfoliant (73 ml / 2.5 floz)
Skin advice for very newly preggers lady
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Author Message
Teabags
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 11 Sep 2008
Posts: 98
Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:32 am      Reply with quote
Hello all

As ever, i'm after your valuable advice. After six years of trying and several years of test, i have discovered i am very newly pregnant

I'm trying not to get tooooooo excited as i've miscarried before - however, that's a whole other story! But I'm obviously immediately concerned about taking away any external factors that may harm the pregnancy, such as blue cheeses, pate, alcohol, caffeine etc.

But, i'm stumped with my beauty routine. I'm a complete lover of everything essential oil related! I DIY a lot and use eo's in everything, but even my "normal" skincare brands have essential oils in them, such as my dermalogica clay cleanser, microfoliant and my dr houschka cleansing cream.

I know i'm supposed to avoid essential oils whilst pregnant and will probably have to give up my beloved products for now. It's worth it! However, has anybody got any good suggestions as to branded products i can use in the meantime and/or which DIY ingredients are still okay to use?

I'm also completely into as organic, chemical-free and eco-friendly as possible. Don't want much do i?!

TIA
Very Happy
One very happy preggy lady

_________________
Don't worry what people think - they don't do it very often. 36 year old light brunette with oily/congested skin - but no wrinkles yet though! Tan quite easily and like natural organic stuff on my skin - even better if it's homemade - and i'm a firm believer that beauty comes from within.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 24 May 2008
Posts: 2390
Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:12 am      Reply with quote
Check out garden of wisdom. They have many nice products w/o EO's but you may want to double some of the ingreidents just to be sure.
Magica
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 20 Nov 2008
Posts: 66
Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:11 am      Reply with quote
I don't have any recommendations for you, just wanted to say congratulations!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

_________________
33, Norwegian, combination skin, pale as a ghost. Using Skinceuticals retinol and Phloretin CF
Gerilee
New Member

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 02 Aug 2006
Posts: 5
Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:52 pm      Reply with quote
Congratulations!!!

No BHAs.

I'm pregnant now and my skin has become very dry, sensitive, and itchy. I even managed to rub my skin raw with just a wash cloth.

If you begin to experience the same thing...

I've been using squalane and jojoba oil. And I'm waiting for my order from Garden of Wisdom of squalane, jojoba, rosehip seed oil, camellia, and apricot kernal..the prices are great and I can buy everything from one place. All these oils have transdermal qualities so they are great for dry skin and in my battle against stretch marks. I'm slightly allergic (extremely allergic now that I'm pregnant) to topical vitamin E so I stay away from any oils high in vitamin E or emu oil that uses vitamin E as a preservative.

Again, congratulations, and take care of you.
Teabags
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 11 Sep 2008
Posts: 98
Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:13 am      Reply with quote
Ahhhhhh, thank you!

It hasn't really sunk in yet - i'm only 5 weeks and i have no symptoms at all yet whatsoever, so i'm struggling to really believe it!

I've got jojoba oil which i'll try, thanks. not suffering with my skin yet - other than it being its usual oily, spotty blob!

I got v confused as i succumbed and bought a baby mag yesterday - just to clarify exactly the best things to do/stop doing etc to help avoid another miscarriage. And all the toiletry recommendations in it include essential oils! All the stretch mark creams, mummy-to-be ranges, they all included essential oils. they advocated mandarin eo for skin elastacity, lavender eo in your bath to help you relax etc. So, now i'm just plain confused! Do i chance them or not? I'm thinking not?

I definitely have to give up my beloved dr h cleansing cream as it contains peanut oil and, as my partner suffers from eczema AND asthma, my baby has double the risk of a nut allegy. But, a small price to pay!

Congratulations to you too Gerilee Very Happy

_________________
Don't worry what people think - they don't do it very often. 36 year old light brunette with oily/congested skin - but no wrinkles yet though! Tan quite easily and like natural organic stuff on my skin - even better if it's homemade - and i'm a firm believer that beauty comes from within.
KBLang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 21 Jun 2008
Posts: 348
Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:20 pm      Reply with quote
Congratulations! I just came across this blog entry while researching something else and remembered your post, thought it might give a good overview: http://www.futurederm.com/2007/11/03/skin-care-ingredients-and-supplements-pregnant-or-nursing-women-should-not-use/

Congrats again, and best wishes to you!

_________________
early 30s; combo skin: medium-fair pale with freckles, controlled breakouts. Love: argan and tamanu oil, Devita SS, NCN rhassoul cleansing bar, pumpkin peel, DIY Vit C serum. Getting into more DIY... Fan of natural/organic products.
pinkberry
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 30 Jul 2008
Posts: 146
Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:37 pm      Reply with quote
Congratulations Teabag. I can totally relate to your story. I wish you the best on your pregancy.
Teabags
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 11 Sep 2008
Posts: 98
Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:39 am      Reply with quote
KBLang wrote:
Congratulations! I just came across this blog entry while researching something else and remembered your post, thought it might give a good overview: http://www.futurederm.com/2007/11/03/skin-care-ingredients-and-supplements-pregnant-or-nursing-women-should-not-use/

Congrats again, and best wishes to you!


That's great, thanks!

Luckily i've never used accutane but i've used AHAs and BHAs before, which i'll stop now. i also didn't know about the 3x week for 15 mins in the sunshine thing which is really helpful (despite not having much "sunshine" at all right here in the UK!)
Smile

_________________
Don't worry what people think - they don't do it very often. 36 year old light brunette with oily/congested skin - but no wrinkles yet though! Tan quite easily and like natural organic stuff on my skin - even better if it's homemade - and i'm a firm believer that beauty comes from within.
KBLang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 21 Jun 2008
Posts: 348
Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:00 pm      Reply with quote
Teabags wrote:


That's great, thanks!

Luckily i've never used accutane but i've used AHAs and BHAs before, which i'll stop now. i also didn't know about the 3x week for 15 mins in the sunshine thing which is really helpful (despite not having much "sunshine" at all right here in the UK!)
Smile


Glad it was helpful! I was just reading a little more about Vit. D -- and it turns out that for those of us far north of the equator (like the UK, or Pennsylvania where I live) the sun is too weak during the winter to really give us Vit. D, even if we had lots of exposure. Most articles recommend potentially taking a supplement, but your regular multivitamin might be enough, especially if you drink fortified milk, etc. Here's a quick link I found (yes, it's Oprah Very Happy): http://www.oprah.com/article/oprahandfriends/bgreene/bgreene_20080329.

There are probably plenty of other articles out there about this (it seems to be a "buzz" health topic here in the States), but it's a start!

_________________
early 30s; combo skin: medium-fair pale with freckles, controlled breakouts. Love: argan and tamanu oil, Devita SS, NCN rhassoul cleansing bar, pumpkin peel, DIY Vit C serum. Getting into more DIY... Fan of natural/organic products.
mandm
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 11 Nov 2008
Posts: 51
Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:18 pm      Reply with quote
My friend is pregnant now and have been using MUSTELA. The line of MUSTELA is specifically for pregnant women.
Teabags
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 11 Sep 2008
Posts: 98
Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:16 am      Reply with quote
mandm wrote:
My friend is pregnant now and have been using MUSTELA. The line of MUSTELA is specifically for pregnant women.


Thanks - they look just what i need. Do you know if they ship to UK? Smile

_________________
Don't worry what people think - they don't do it very often. 36 year old light brunette with oily/congested skin - but no wrinkles yet though! Tan quite easily and like natural organic stuff on my skin - even better if it's homemade - and i'm a firm believer that beauty comes from within.
Teabags
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 11 Sep 2008
Posts: 98
Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:19 am      Reply with quote
KBLang wrote:
Teabags wrote:


That's great, thanks!

Luckily i've never used accutane but i've used AHAs and BHAs before, which i'll stop now. i also didn't know about the 3x week for 15 mins in the sunshine thing which is really helpful (despite not having much "sunshine" at all right here in the UK!)
Smile


Glad it was helpful! I was just reading a little more about Vit. D -- and it turns out that for those of us far north of the equator (like the UK, or Pennsylvania where I live) the sun is too weak during the winter to really give us Vit. D, even if we had lots of exposure. Most articles recommend potentially taking a supplement, but your regular multivitamin might be enough, especially if you drink fortified milk, etc. Here's a quick link I found (yes, it's Oprah Very Happy): http://www.oprah.com/article/oprahandfriends/bgreene/bgreene_20080329.

There are probably plenty of other articles out there about this (it seems to be a "buzz" health topic here in the States), but it's a start!


Well, i am taking a multi-vitamin specially formulated for pregnancy - although, i always think it's better to get it naturally!

As for the sunshine - well, the UK have just suffered 2-3 weeks of -7 temperatures and we thought we had it bad! Now i've read all the guys in the US are suffering up -40 temperatures! Oh my word! That's a serious lack of sunshine!

_________________
Don't worry what people think - they don't do it very often. 36 year old light brunette with oily/congested skin - but no wrinkles yet though! Tan quite easily and like natural organic stuff on my skin - even better if it's homemade - and i'm a firm believer that beauty comes from within.
KBLang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 21 Jun 2008
Posts: 348
Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:46 pm      Reply with quote
Teabags wrote:


Well, i am taking a multi-vitamin specially formulated for pregnancy - although, i always think it's better to get it naturally!

As for the sunshine - well, the UK have just suffered 2-3 weeks of -7 temperatures and we thought we had it bad! Now i've read all the guys in the US are suffering up -40 temperatures! Oh my word! That's a serious lack of sunshine!


Cold and no Vit. D -- it's true! We are very chilly over here right now (brrrr!)

Found another brand that's geared specifically toward pregnant women (I've seen it reviewed and praised a lot recently in various magazines): http://www.belliskincare.com/

Looks like they have additional info and references too. I'm sure all this info gets overwhelming pretty quickly, but hopefully it's helpful first! Smile

_________________
early 30s; combo skin: medium-fair pale with freckles, controlled breakouts. Love: argan and tamanu oil, Devita SS, NCN rhassoul cleansing bar, pumpkin peel, DIY Vit C serum. Getting into more DIY... Fan of natural/organic products.
myamax
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 163
Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:09 am      Reply with quote
Hello!

There are two lines originating from the UK which have products for pregnant ladies:
- the organic pharmacy (has a beautiful stretch mark oil!)
- mama mio

Haven't tried any of the mama mio line, but my friend likes their 'Boob Tube' product

Because they are both from the UK, shipping is very reasonable.

On another note, Isabella Oliver is a great line of maternity wear:)
Teabags
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 11 Sep 2008
Posts: 98
Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:01 pm      Reply with quote
KBLang wrote:
Teabags wrote:


Well, i am taking a multi-vitamin specially formulated for pregnancy - although, i always think it's better to get it naturally!

As for the sunshine - well, the UK have just suffered 2-3 weeks of -7 temperatures and we thought we had it bad! Now i've read all the guys in the US are suffering up -40 temperatures! Oh my word! That's a serious lack of sunshine!


Cold and no Vit. D -- it's true! We are very chilly over here right now (brrrr!)

Found another brand that's geared specifically toward pregnant women (I've seen it reviewed and praised a lot recently in various magazines): http://www.belliskincare.com/

Looks like they have additional info and references too. I'm sure all this info gets overwhelming pretty quickly, but hopefully it's helpful first! Smile


Yes, definitely, thank you! it's nice to have a variety of products to look at so you can mix and match if you want. i've seen some nice products in the bellis skincare i haven't seen elsewhere, such as eye firming serum. most mother-to-be lines just stock varying types of stretch mark cream and i want more than that. i really want to look at my whole skincare range as it all contains essential oils!

Thanks Very Happy

_________________
Don't worry what people think - they don't do it very often. 36 year old light brunette with oily/congested skin - but no wrinkles yet though! Tan quite easily and like natural organic stuff on my skin - even better if it's homemade - and i'm a firm believer that beauty comes from within.
Teabags
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 11 Sep 2008
Posts: 98
Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:04 pm      Reply with quote
myamax wrote:
Hello!

There are two lines originating from the UK which have products for pregnant ladies:
- the organic pharmacy (has a beautiful stretch mark oil!)
- mama mio

Haven't tried any of the mama mio line, but my friend likes their 'Boob Tube' product

Because they are both from the UK, shipping is very reasonable.

On another note, Isabella Oliver is a great line of maternity wear:)


YES! i have seen their adverts so many times at the back of magazines in the classified sections! i have always thought they were sooooo elegant and longed whistfully to be able to have a chance to wear them! i've seen got several months yet before i need to start thinking about maternity wear but i definitely want to be a yummy mummy!!!

PS Will also look at the toiletry lines - thanks for the info Very Happy

_________________
Don't worry what people think - they don't do it very often. 36 year old light brunette with oily/congested skin - but no wrinkles yet though! Tan quite easily and like natural organic stuff on my skin - even better if it's homemade - and i'm a firm believer that beauty comes from within.
charis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 21 Mar 2007
Posts: 426
Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:58 pm      Reply with quote
I used an oil (jojoba was the base) from Whole Foods designed for pregnant women to prevent stretch marks. I used it faithfully the entire pregnancy (x2) and ended up with no stretch marks at all (even though I had a baby over 10 lbs. - and I am small). A friend of mine had rec'd it and she had 4 kids with no stretch marks either. Don't know if it's heredity or a really awesome oil. I used it early on though to make sure the skin was really supple before an stretching began.
Yiying
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 12 Nov 2008
Posts: 278
Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:04 pm      Reply with quote
Neroli is the essential oil which can be used during pregnancy. You can diy it with gentle carrier oil.
Teabags
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 11 Sep 2008
Posts: 98
Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:17 am      Reply with quote
I've got some jojoba oil and will start tentatively using it. I suffered from an OCM purge last year which i am still suffering from, so i'm hesitant to use oil again, but (a) i think my options are limited a bit (b) jojoba is very close to natural skin sebum i believe (c) jojoba is a wax more so than an oil isn't it?

I've also got neroli oil but just confused because i've always heard you should give up essential oils completely during pregnancy yet a lot of mum-to-be products contain them? I think i may check with my doctor to see if there are any specific eo's i should avoid

_________________
Don't worry what people think - they don't do it very often. 36 year old light brunette with oily/congested skin - but no wrinkles yet though! Tan quite easily and like natural organic stuff on my skin - even better if it's homemade - and i'm a firm believer that beauty comes from within.
hahaqj
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 17 Oct 2007
Posts: 249
Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:50 am      Reply with quote
mandm wrote:
My friend is pregnant now and have been using MUSTELA. The line of MUSTELA is specifically for pregnant women.

ye, MUSTELA is an brand for mun and baby.
this brand sells in drugstore
hahaqj
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 17 Oct 2007
Posts: 249
Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:53 am      Reply with quote
if you like essential oil , try weleda brand.

some essential oil is not good for pregnant woman . be careful.
baby
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 24 Jan 2009
Posts: 187
Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:47 am      Reply with quote
My friend is pregnant and she swears by bare minerals. She says that it has no chemicals and is completely safe for pregnant people. Plus she loves the light feel of the product.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:29 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic



Peter Thomas Roth Viz-1000 Intensive Hydrating Serum (30 ml / 1 floz) glotherapeutics Gentle Enzyme Exfoliant (73 ml / 2.5 floz) Shira Shir-Radiance Corrective Rx Wrinkle & Pore Minimizer (30 ml)