Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Strange reaction to NIA24 sunscreen
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:54 am      Reply with quote
Last week I traveled on business to a sunny place (yeah, I know, poor me! Laughing ) and decided to bring my sample sized NIA 24 sunscreen instead of my trusty Avene Emulsion tinosorb sunscreen. I have to say, the texture of the NIA 24 is superb--silky and non-whitening in the slightest. And it did seem to protect, at least against UVB rays, since I didn't get any burning at all of my uber-pale skin during a noontime walk.

But, after three days of using it, I got red spots over my face, especially across the upper cheek and nose (where I double apply my sunscreen. At least 20 of them--about pea sized, not sore or tender, nothing to "squeeze" if I were naughty enough to do that--and not itchy either. But definitely present and embarassingly noticeable. Yikes!!

Anyone else had a similar reaction? Checking the ingredients, I noticed that silicones are quite prominent (which would explain the lovely silky texture). I've never been 'cone sensitive before, but is this reaction typical of a silicone reaction, for those who are silicone sensitive?

I'm really sad about this, since otherwise this sunscreen seems very nice as a non-chemical one.
Magica
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:06 am      Reply with quote
Quite a few have broken out in an awful rash after using NIA24, but I haven't heard of anyone having quite the same reaction as you.

It's really annoying though, isn't it, after hearing about the great results some people get from the line!

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=18153

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:44 am      Reply with quote
flitcraft, in the ingredients listing, are there any ingredients that have the word "PEG" listed in them. There have been some problems for some folks who use sunscreens with PEG materials in them. Quite often an itchy rash can break out. I've even had it happen to me on vacation in Florida a few years ago. When I stopped using the sunscreen with the PEG materials in it, the rash went away. The combination of sun, sweat, and the PEG created an irritation.

That's not to say that all PEG containing materials are bad. (PEG means "polyethyleneglycol"). Some raw materials are not water soluble, so a PEG fraction is added to the raw material to make it somewhat more soluble in water. The more PEG you add to the ingredient (higher number next to the PEG) the more water soluble it becomes. In some cases, adding PEG to a material is the ONLY way that it will become water soluble, so that's why it is done. Most sunscreens are oil in water, or water in oil emulsions.

Just a guess, but it is a possibility.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:52 pm      Reply with quote
I used Niadyne a few year ago when it first came out. I had quite an allergic reaction to it as well! ( I also reacted badly to Idebenone.) Shock

I used the Niadyne for a few weeks until I got the reaction.
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:03 pm      Reply with quote
NIA24 is something you need to introduce slowly into your routine. Someone pointed this out to me because I initially had some reaction to the products when I first started out. Mine was peeling skin on the face rather than rashes. One of the forum members pointed me to instructions on NIA24 website about using an Introductory regime. Starting out by using light application of the product on alternate days to give your skin time to adjust. Here is the link:
http://www.nia24.com/products/intro_regimen.cfm

I cut back on my usage and my skin has adjusted. However, I did find that the sunscreen gives the most side effects. I personally prefer the Skin Strengthening complex as it feels more comfortable on my skin.
havana8

Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:34 pm      Reply with quote
Another possible culprit might be the % of niacinamide in the NIA products. As a new user, it could simply be that you need to go slower with it until you've acclimated to it...

Nimue wrote:
I've been using a niacinamide serum that I made myself and when I used too much I had a similar reaction... I've diluted it since then and I'm only using it about twice a week. But hey at least I know that it works, and it's the same as the expensive stuff. I'm convinced that it is a good active so I'm continuing with it. I highly recommend making a DIY niacinamide serum since it's so easy and cheap.

page 5 of the NIA24 thread mentioned above
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:47 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for your suggestions, everyone. John, I did check the ingredients and there are two different PEG silicones listed. So that may be a problem.

And, now that I realize better that niacinamide has been a problem for some here, I will be more careful about using it--maybe mixing the sunscreen with another, non-niacinamide one to get my skin used to it. I have been thinking about adding the NIA24 facecream to my regimen, but I'm on a use-it-up-first kick right now as a New Year's resolution.
saver
5% products discount

Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:18 pm      Reply with quote
Niacinamide is a form of Niacin but is said to have lesser side effects than Niacin like possible flushing and itching. I guess, some skin might still have a slight reaction to it though. I agree that someone with sensitivity to this ingredient, which is said to be beneficial to the skin, could still use this by introducing this to his/her skin care regimen gradually.

havana8 wrote:
Another possible culprit might be the % of niacinamide in the NIA products. As a new user, it could simply be that you need to go slower with it until you've acclimated to it...

Nimue wrote:
I've been using a niacinamide serum that I made myself and when I used too much I had a similar reaction... I've diluted it since then and I'm only using it about twice a week. But hey at least I know that it works, and it's the same as the expensive stuff. I'm convinced that it is a good active so I'm continuing with it. I highly recommend making a DIY niacinamide serum since it's so easy and cheap.

page 5 of the NIA24 thread mentioned above
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:11 pm      Reply with quote
The active in NIA24 is a strong one. I have fairly resistant skin and can tolerate prescription retinoids and AHA without major problems. But I had a lot of peeling with NIA24, much more than with retinoids and AHA. It was mainly because I underestimated the strenth of this active ingredient and merrily started off using a hefty amount of the sunscreen (I am conditioned into aiming for the 1/4 teaspoon "dose" on my face). The Introductory regime on the website says "thin layer" and recommends alternate day usage when starting off. So obviously I overdid it.

But it is worth persisting with this active because I have noticed it helped to flatten a lot of the bumps on my skin and skintone is also evened out since using it. The sunscreen is not my favourite formulation of this line (maybe the PEGs have something to do with it too) and my skin prefers the Skin Strengthening Complex. Pity it's so much more expensive.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:54 pm      Reply with quote
I'll chime in on the good advice already posted.... if you're new to NIA24, start slowly introducing it to your skincare routine especially if you have sensitive skin.

NIA24 sunscreen is...... absolutely...... my holy grail for sunscreen. The reason I came to EDS was because I was looking for sunscreens; after learning about the difference between physical and chemical, I was more comfortable with physical/mineral sunscreens that deflect UVA and UVB.

I was a little leery of the silicones in this product, but the silicones act as a makeup primer and sun screen as well. Given the generosity of the product, it's proven to be the best value as well.

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:57 pm      Reply with quote
I just added some Nia24 products to my skin care arsenal, and am moving VERY slowly based on everyone's great advice!

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:16 pm      Reply with quote
Just FYI,. Oil of Olay Regenerist uses niacinamide as well. I am not sure of the percent but I am fairly certain it is lower then the Nia24 line. If someone wants to try the niacin, and is concerned about side effects, this might be a good starting point. Oil of Olay Regenerist has a spf 15 formulation as well but I believe it uses chemical rather then physical sunscreen ingredients.

I have tried the Olay products and I like them ! That being said, I just purchased a full size of the Nia24 SS since I had no reaction to the sample.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:24 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |