Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Retinol or Vit C if u have to choose one for anti aging?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:21 am      Reply with quote
As titled. What effect do u see between the two? I got congested skin with Vit C so I wanna put that on hold for now. I feel that Retinol can address the problem with lines as well as pimples. So yeah, would luv to hear some feedbacks! Smile
Flannery
5% products discount

Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:00 am      Reply with quote
A very good question! I would say a good Vit.C serum has more immediate benefits than a retinol. I just love my skinceuticals CE Ferulic and feel that it really helps minimize my fine lines as well as give a healthy glow. I have just started with the .5 Retinol(starting with every other night) from Skinceuticals and am a bit distressed at how dry my skin looks in the morning. So at this point, I would always opt for a C Serum.. but I understand that Retinols give long term benefits and one goes through the "uglies" with them for awhile. javascript:emoticon('Rolling Eyes')

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:04 am      Reply with quote
I use both Vitamin C in the morning and Retin-A in the evening. If I had to choose just one based on the results I've gotten I would choose Retin-A. Nothing else has made a bigger difference in my skin.
Oakview
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:28 am      Reply with quote
I agree. Retin A at night and vitamin C in the morning is optimum but if you can only choose one, choose Retin A.
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:18 am      Reply with quote
I think the anti-ageing effect of retin A is stronger than vit. C. Vit. C is more for protection. Ideally of course, as the others have stated, you should use retin A at night and vit. C in the daytime under your sunscreen. They work in different ways and are complementary in effect.
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:06 am      Reply with quote
Ditto I would give up the vitamin C before the retin a. As mlrox stated you use them at different times of the day.

The one thing I would recommend is trying a different vitamin c serum. I found that I could not use the SkinMedica C I broke out within a couple of days, but others love it. I switched to Cellular Skin Rx C which I liked but I decided to start making my own serum to add ferulic acid without spending a small fortune.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:34 am      Reply with quote
I think both of these go hand in hand to make us look younger. You can not do without the other one....

Stardustdy wrote:
As titled. What effect do u see between the two? I got congested skin with Vit C so I wanna put that on hold for now. I feel that Retinol can address the problem with lines as well as pimples. So yeah, would luv to hear some feedbacks! Smile
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:36 am      Reply with quote
Oh I forgot to add... YOu still need sunscreen on your face! Very very important!!!

jade-1234 wrote:
I think both of these go hand in hand to make us look younger. You can not do without the other one....

Stardustdy wrote:
charis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:52 am      Reply with quote
I agree with everyone above. I use Tazorac and it's the #1 thing I would not give up. I later added vitamin C in the morning which helped but not the same extent. Why can't you use both?
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:38 pm      Reply with quote
charis, it's not that I can't use both but I broke out in bumps using the CellularSkinRx Vit C serum. I want to try the Skinmedica as ppl are having good results but it's so~ expensive at almost $100. Anyone knows where I can get samples other than from EBay? Also, since it's silicone based, do I need anything special to remove it at night or my Sothys Cleansing Milk will do? I don't want to use any oil at night to clean... Confused

As for retinol, I haven't try it yet... but just want to ask all u experienced ladies here what's the difference first! Smile
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:51 pm      Reply with quote
Star,

I use both and think they work synergistically.

If one formula of C serum caused problems, don't give up! I make my own serum very easily and cheaply. You can get a big tub of C powder cheaply online and just add distilled water for a serum that is fresher than ready-made. It isn't rocket science - just add powder to water and shake! I keep it in a brown glass dropper bottle in the frig. There are recipes for this and lots else in the DIY forum here. You'd be surprised what you can make at home and save a ton of cash too.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:42 pm      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
Star,

If one formula of C serum caused problems, don't give up! I make my own serum very easily and cheaply. You can get a big tub of C powder cheaply online and just add distilled water for a serum that is fresher than ready-made. It isn't rocket science - just add powder to water and shake! I keep it in a brown glass dropper bottle in the frig. There are recipes for this and lots else in the DIY forum here. You'd be surprised what you can make at home and save a ton of cash too.

Fawnie, that's a good idea! Where do u get the Vit C powder? I guess u make a small batch each time so it won't go bad? What exactly is distilled water? Do u get the same results as with the commercial brand? I guess u won't break out from home-made Vit C serum then? Thanks! Smile
Yiying
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:19 pm      Reply with quote
keli13 wrote:
I use both Vitamin C in the morning and Retin-A in the evening. If I had to choose just one based on the results I've gotten I would choose Retin-A. Nothing else has made a bigger difference in my skin.

I agree.

Sunscreen is very important if you use VC in the morning. Retin-A is the most effective skincare for mature skin but it is irritating.
alexol
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:13 am      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
Star,

I also did this DIY before when L-AA powder was easily accessible to me. But the prepared VC solution was much more irritating than commercial ones, such as obagi, skinceuticals and cellex-c.
I did measure the pH value of it with indication of 4 or lower. So my suggestion is this DIY serum is not suitable for sensitive skin type.
Mariav
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:17 pm      Reply with quote
I finally broke-up with Vitamin C for good a couple of months back. After many, many trials and tribulations with it - trying so many different brands (the last one being SkinMedica and thinking I had found an HG in it only to find out that maybe I'm just not a candidate for vitamin C as I wasn't liking the way my skin was looking) I tried an experiment and stopped using it b/c I felt my skin was somehow getting worse and looking pitty and just bumpy and bad - like orange peel-ish. I'm happy to report that my skin looks better without using vitamin C serums. I do love other serums though. I just scraped the bottom of Canyon Ranch's age transformation serum and would love to find a cheaper version of how nice that made my skin look and feel. I battle melasma so right now I'm using Vivite Vibrance. I didn't want to use anything else as it's pretty strong for my skin anyway. I think as long as a form of vitamin C is at the top of an ingredient list, it doesn't bode well for me....if there is vitamin c as part of a bunch of other ingredients then I tend to do better...so for me, I would not choose to use a serum labeled as a Vitamin C serum anymore. I'm about to try "real" Retin A (as opposed to Retinol) for the first time, so I'll report back on how that affects my skin -- hopefully in a positive way.

Maria

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:01 pm      Reply with quote
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=30503
Star, there's a whole thread here about DIY C serum!

I ordered mine fromwww.ThePersonalFormulator.com butwww.gardenofwisdom.com has a good supply too and you can order your pH test strips there too. I use L-ascorbic acid, but that's just my preference. Others here use other forms of C, for their own preferences. Refer to the threads for the rationales.

Distilled water is available at any supermarket or drugstore in the drinking water or baby product or household section. It's used in steam irons (remember those?).

Kassy, one of the DIY gurus, says the C serum has to be @ a pH of 3.5 to be effective - that's acidic! If you are sensitive, you could add glycerine, it appears. You can check the DIY recipes (a sticky under the DIY forum here) for other recipes for it. It has to be applied first thing after cleansing on a dry face to avoid irritation. Other moisturizers and serums can be applied over it, once it has done its thing (wait about 15-30 minutes or it will be diluted by any subsequent products and defeat the purpose).

Please see the other C threads here, as I am just a novice myself and certainly not the C serum expert!!!
But believe me the DIY version is just as potent as the store bought, if not more so since it is fresher.

I use Retin-A Micro at night, and Vit C serum in the am with hyaluronic acid serum (diy) and squalane oil and Avene Emulsion Spf50+. Sure, it's irritating, but a certain amount of irritation is what helps the collagen-production and exfoliation IMO. I believe it will subside in time. Please correct me if I'm way off on this!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:31 am      Reply with quote
fawnie, thanks for the info! So I guess homemade c serum won't break me out as there're no silicones & those glycol butene (sp?) solution?

I noticed that you're also using the Avene ss. I was using a sample on and off and I'm not sure if this is breaking me out or not due to the "cones". I want to know what kind of cleanser u used at night to remove it? Thanks! Smile
baby
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:33 pm      Reply with quote
My dermatologist recommends vitamin C. There's a great serum out by la roche posay with a pure form of vitamin c.
skin care addict
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:04 pm      Reply with quote
Stardusty,I hope you can find a Vit C that is nice to your face,it does help so much. And Retin A has also been proven to help. You deserve to have these two winners ! Go for it Very Happy
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:10 pm      Reply with quote
Yup...answer is "both." There was a posting earlier--I forget from whom--talking about sunscreen creating free radicals as it breaks down. Vitamin C serum will help prevent any damage caused by that process.

No question that both retinoids--especially Retin A--and Vitamin C have the most thorough scientific evidence of benefit of any other skincare product. (Not that others aren't good, but they haven't got the track record of double blind studies behind them of these two.)
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:20 am      Reply with quote
ok then... Since Vit C is so~ important in fighting the free radicals created by the sun, does it matter the % of the C serum? For example, a 5% vs. 10% C serum... Does that mean the higher % one will fight harder & more against the free radicals compared to the lower % one? Embarassed
tsjmom
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:05 am      Reply with quote
Retinol.

46, curly dk blonde hair, fair, blue eyes, very oily T-zone. HGs: Tazorac .05% gel; Avene/Bioderma s/s (very high spf AND ppd); Cellbone vit Cie 20%; Cellbone Hyperpeptides; IFP 5% bha/10% aha; Obagi Clear; 'curly girl' method (no poo, just co wash) for my 3b curls.
ramses
5% products discount

Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:42 am      Reply with quote
I would use Retinol at night and wear sunscreen in the day time
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:21 pm      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
ok then... Since Vit C is so~ important in fighting the free radicals created by the sun, does it matter the % of the C serum? For example, a 5% vs. 10% C serum... Does that mean the higher % one will fight harder & more against the free radicals compared to the lower % one? Embarassed

hhm guess ppl didn't see my question here... Embarassed
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:38 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |