Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
my hands are burning!!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
mb935
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:11 pm      Reply with quote
This happens to me every winter and I just thought to ask about it now.

Just about every time I use hand lotion now my hands BURN. I use different types of lotion all year and i dont have any problems until the winter. So of course Im guessing it is because my hands are dry - but it HURTS and this is when i need it most.

What can I do??

THANKS
KBLang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:53 pm      Reply with quote
What kind of lotion are you using? The combo of dry weather and possible irritants in the lotion seem like a painful combo for you!

I would recommend that you go for the purest/simplest moisturizer possible -- and at this point it sounds like you need a balm (something that you scoop out of a jar) vs. lotion (can come through a pump). Aquaphor can be found at your local drugstore and is very effective; on the natural side of things you might try shea butter or jojoba oil (or any other oil without fragrance added to it). L'Occitaine makes a very nice balm for mothers and babies (this just means it doesn't have chemicals in it), but you can also find a lot of soapcrafters on Etsy.com who make lots of yummy balms. Check out moutainroseherbs.com or fromnaturewithlove.com for wholesale carrier oils and butters. Good luck!

early 30s; combo skin: medium-fair pale with freckles, controlled breakouts. Love: argan and tamanu oil, Devita SS, NCN rhassoul cleansing bar, pumpkin peel, DIY Vit C serum. Getting into more DIY... Fan of natural/organic products.
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:05 pm      Reply with quote
It sounds like the skin on your hands has become super sensitive. I would go for one of the all natural hand creams. There are dozens of them on EDS, just click on the Natural tab on the front page. It may be that there is a particular chemical ingredient in some that you have been using that your skin cannot handle now that the skin is dry as well as sensitive.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:37 pm      Reply with quote
This could be a sign of anaemia, lack of iron as i get this also.
nekosen
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:18 pm      Reply with quote
Angelboots wrote:
This could be a sign of anaemia, lack of iron as i get this also.

I agree with it. I think u should go to see a doctor.
Lara1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:23 pm      Reply with quote
I have sensitive skin and I understand what happens with your hands during a winter. I would suggest L'Occitane hand cream, it helped me with wind burns. Also, you could use Palmer's cocoa butter.
Here is the link for L'Occitane:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/l-occitane-shea-hand-crea-p_6690.htm

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:23 pm      Reply with quote
Do you use a humidifier in your home? It might help add the moisture back to your skin that winter heating removes.

I’m 60, never smoked, eat healthy, fitness center + hiking, lots of water and nutrients, size 4 jeans Smile, some lower facial sagging, but it’s improving with AALS, Clarisonic, Remergent, L2K, (including her new hand held devices), Ageless exercises, peels, OCM, etc. “This is my face; deal with it.” Annette Bening
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:48 pm      Reply with quote
mb935, do you mean to say your PALMS are burning, or your entire hands?

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:10 pm      Reply with quote
This is my first post. (major 1st-time lurking yesterday which was great fun and very informative)

In the winter my hands get so dry they often crack and bleed. I can't use most hand creams because the fragrance they put in the creams makes my hands burn!!! They're also way too greasy.

Kiehl's Ultimate Strength Hand Salve - all day cure for severely dry, active hands - saved me! It's not greasy, has no perfume, and it really, really works. To use effectively, wash or wet hands with water, dry off and then apply the salve.

Contains eucalyptus, which may smell slightly medicinal to you, but it's oh-so-soothing, and IT WORKS!!

About $19 for a 5 oz. tube, and lasts quite a while.

Hope that helps you!!
ruk1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:04 pm      Reply with quote
Have you tried either Vit E oil or Avocado oil? There's a lot of chemicals in lotion, but pure oil is good for the skin, and should not burn.
ruk1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:05 pm      Reply with quote
Or emu oil, which is very healing. After your hands are less dry, you can try lotion again if you like.
littlejess

Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:34 pm      Reply with quote
Try using something all natural without a lot of fragrances in it.
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:38 pm      Reply with quote
I have this too, and my hands burn, especially when I wash them. It's just severely dry hands. Try Tamanu oil, it is very healing and soothing and it instantly takes away the pain for me. I also use shea butter.
Diana P
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:24 pm      Reply with quote
health2u wrote:

Kiehl's Ultimate Strength Hand Salve - all day cure for severely dry, active hands - saved me! It's not greasy, has no perfume, and it really, really works. To use effectively, wash or wet hands with water, dry off and then apply the salve.

Where do you buy this? I'm in Canada and don't recall seeing that brand before. Heading to the States next week though so if it's available there then I'll pick some up.
health2u
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:32 pm      Reply with quote
You can purchase Kiehl's at
Bloomingdales, Neiman Marcus or on the Kiehl's website.
If you google "Kiehl's," you'll find it. Smile

Good luck!!
KBLang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:00 pm      Reply with quote
After some red, scaly patches on my hands (near the knuckles) developed with the cold, dry air, I started putting on oils or an all natural balm at night, then immediately putting a clean pair of cotton socks on my hands to sleep in. Not only does it help my hands retain the moisture I'm trying to feed them, it also keeps any thick balms away from my acne-prone face! Smile You can buy "gloves" specific for this sleeping purpose, but I find that plain old socks do the trick.

This is an old trick, but I remembered this post last night while I was doing my bedtime hand-sock routine -- I think it works great!

early 30s; combo skin: medium-fair pale with freckles, controlled breakouts. Love: argan and tamanu oil, Devita SS, NCN rhassoul cleansing bar, pumpkin peel, DIY Vit C serum. Getting into more DIY... Fan of natural/organic products.
health2u
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:19 pm      Reply with quote
I checked their website for the product, and if I'd seen the description before buying the product, I'd probably not have bought it! But, this is, by far, one of the best products I've ever used. And the reason you have to wet or wash your hands - my dermatologist told me that if you apply moisturizer to dry skin it just sits on top of your skin but doesn't really get absorbed.

(Wish EDS sold it so you could buy it from them Smile)
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:39 am      Reply with quote
I would imagine that your hands are 'raw' from the combo of cold weather and dry skin..you may have tiny 'cracks' or 'cuts' in the skin..maybe that you can't even see...so it may take a while..even with a great skin healer..for the burning to go completely away.

It really helps to wear gloves outdoors when it's cold..even if it's not 'necessary'.

And like BYRG..I use tamanu oil (with 15 drops of heliochrysim essential oil added per ounce of tamanu carrier oil) and after that is massaged in..i add shea butter, also...it's very effective.

BYRG

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
mb935
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:36 am      Reply with quote
wow - thanks so much.

It isnt the palms of my hands by the way.

The back of my hands ARE very dry and I did start to notice the cracks within the last few days- when I started the post that wasnt the case.

I did have a humidifier but it broke - will look into a new one.

I have quite a few products - nothing that was recommended though. Guess I have to start shopping.

I was using baby lotion last night and it burned just slightly.

thanks again...
leeleedeedee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:15 pm      Reply with quote
Every winter I used to suffer from chapped, raw hands that would get so bad they would start to bleed. I had nothing medically wrong with me, just sensitive skin.

The only hand cream that worked for me and still does because I've been using it for the past ten years is "Neutrogena Norwegian Formula" hand cream. It is super rich and should be used at night just before bed. A little dab is all you need. I wouldn't ever be without it. One of the most fantastic hand creams I have ever used. No organic or natural hand cream has ever measured up to this one!
miss anna
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:25 pm      Reply with quote
Just to add another thought, I have poor circulation and in winter my hands and feet get very cold. If you are putting warm (ie room temperature) creams on cold hands it will burn. In the old days when I cleaned the freezer by hand and then ran tap water over them, it burnt.

I agree with trying some oils but maybe you could rub your hands first for a while or warm them near a heater to bring them up to room temperature and then put an oil like jojoba on them. HTH Razz
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:39 pm      Reply with quote
Another thing to try is calendula homeopathic cream...Nelson's is the brand that i have used for years.(calendula homeopathic gels are also available...but i personally prefer the cream over the gel)

And although i now do prefer tamanu oil with heliochrysum eo... this eo is expensive..and the whole mixture is fairly 'exotic'..whereas nelsons calendula cream is inexpensive (around $7 or so a tube) and can be ordered either online (google it) or from a well stocked natural food store or natural pharmacy.

And it is an external homeopathic remedy specifically created for healing dry, chapped, cracked hands, feet, etc.

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:17 am      Reply with quote
I also recommend emu oil - it's especially good for burns and chapped skin. Since I've been using it on my hands, my nails have also become much stronger.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:27 am      Reply with quote
if you are not allergy to this product, go to see doctor.
fang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:27 am      Reply with quote
i heard that Bliss Glamour Gloves are pretty amazing.hope it can help

Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:37 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |