Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Question about natural skincare
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
SkinCareJunkie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:45 pm      Reply with quote
I searched through the forums and didn't find any posts on my question. My question is when you started using natural skincare did it take your skin awhile to adjust to it? I'm using both of Suki's trial kits. I've noticed some breakouts on my face. I'm not sure if they are caused by these products or due to the fact that I stopped using my retin-a. Thanks! Smile
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:42 am      Reply with quote
I'm afraid it could be either of these two possibilities. In my own opinion, it is more likely to be because you stopped the retin A. But people have reported breakouts with natural and organic products who have not used retin A, so you cannot be sure that it isn't the natural products that's also a factor. It could also be that you have introduced too many new products to your skin at the same time.

I'm sorry there's no straightforward answer to this. But natural products don't guarantee that you are any less likely to have skin sensitivity problems or pimples. In fact, many natural products have a long list of ingredients such that it is very difficult to tell which one, if any, might be the culprit.

Maybe you can revert back to your "old" tried and tested skincare products (non-organic) that you know for sure won't cause you to break out. And slowly introduce one organic product at a time to see how your skin reacts.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:19 am      Reply with quote
I agree w/ mlrox.

Natural is not always better and just like with non-natural it can be difficult sometimes to find what for works you.

I would go back to your old routine and add only 1 new item at a time, its the only way to narrow it down what is causing an issue for you.
Teabags
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:38 am      Reply with quote
I have been trying to switch over to natural, organic and DIY bit-by-bit since last year. Unfortunately, i had a bit of a disaster, which i think was caused by OCM (could've been stress, but i'm pretty sure it was OCM). It went great for about two weeks, then i broke out like i've never broken out before. Horrible cystic acne along my jawline. Six months or so later, i'm still suffering with it.

I've stopped OCM and have for now reverted back to my original tried-and-tested stuff. Once the acne is under control, i'll definitely be switching over to natural stuff v-e-r-y slowly and one product at a time.

I'd recommend also that you try one thing at a time and take it slowly. It could be a good thing - that your skin is purging all the horrible nasties under your skin because you have a great new routine, but that's little comfort when you're suffering. Maybe afterwards, your skin will look better than it's ever looked (that's what i'm hoping with mine!).

Hope it works out for you Pray

Don't worry what people think - they don't do it very often. 36 year old light brunette with oily/congested skin - but no wrinkles yet though! Tan quite easily and like natural organic stuff on my skin - even better if it's homemade - and i'm a firm believer that beauty comes from within.
KBLang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:12 pm      Reply with quote
I'll admit to being a "natural" skincare advocate -- but I'm not a diehard. So I can agree that it could be either the retin-a or problems with the new products. You said that you're using "both" Suki trial kits though? Do you mean you're using the one for dry skin and the one for oily/combo skin? I've used a couple of Suki products (toner, lemongrass face wash/exfoliator, trial creams) and haven't personally had trouble with them, but I was using the products geared toward more problematic skin. Could that be it? Also, there's a lot of stuff in the trail kits, maybe the influx is just a bit much? Good luck with this, it can be so disappointing when things don't work out right away! Sad

early 30s; combo skin: medium-fair pale with freckles, controlled breakouts. Love: argan and tamanu oil, Devita SS, NCN rhassoul cleansing bar, pumpkin peel, DIY Vit C serum. Getting into more DIY... Fan of natural/organic products.
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:12 pm      Reply with quote
Were you tsking the retin a to stop acne? Why did you stop it entirely all at once? Perhaps it would be better to stop gradually while you introduce the suki products...and see how your skin responds

Also did you patch test each product you are using on a sensitive area of your body to see if you have any sensitivites to the particular ingredients?

Suki products are very pure..imo...unlike some of the other 'natural' products on the market ....but that doesn't mean that your skin isn't sensitive to some/one of the ingredients nonetheless.

I agree that it would be best to try one product at a time.

And...is it possible to speak with someone knowledgeable at the suki company about your issue?

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
ceca01
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:30 pm      Reply with quote
I have used natural products from the Body Shop and Kosmea and I have to say that I don't think I'll even go totally natural again. They didn't do anything for my skin and don't smell nice at all. They have actually irritated my skin.

I'm sticking with Sothy's. It's such a gentle line but effective.

I'd also suggest that you have a talk with a professional about the issues.
harriet
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:45 pm      Reply with quote
I have read that some ingredients in natural products can be irritating...for me, lemon or orange oils, they really bother my skin. Once I used Phytomer and it developed mold on it in the jar and then my skin got several red splotches. I think it did not have good preservative ingredients.
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:23 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for reminding us about the preservatives. That is also an issue with the "natural" products. They either have no preservatives or very little preservatives. Certainly not up to the strength of the preservatives in commercial non-organic products. I've had a few Jurlique products grow black mould inside the bottle (yucks). So it is entirely possible that the organic and natural products might be culturing bacteria or fungi in them. And if you are acne-prone, applying bacteria-laden creams or lotions on your face might be seeding organisms into your pores to cause pimples.
ceca01
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:27 pm      Reply with quote
i totally agree, it sounds disguisting too. i know that whenever i go to a department store and go and smell the natural products like jurlique, they stink and they advertise them all as nicely scented products. i don't want to be using something that will change its scent to something that bad after i've used it for a little bit.
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:46 am      Reply with quote
I agree with the others, it could be either. It could also be your body doing a detox. Often when people switch brands etc... they have a period in which the skin has to readjust itself to the actives being used. Switching to an organic range, is wonderful, as your not bombarding your body with toxic chemicals etc, but it means that the body will make full use of this opportunity to get rid of the toxins its carry around.

As the others have said, just because something is natural though doesn't guarantee it will work for everyone. Sometimes the dynamic ratios used by organic companies of products can cause people iritation etc. There are so many natural ranges out nowadays, this just might not be the best for your skin type at this moment in time. I hope you get a solution that works for you quickly though - its horrible when these things happen but the good news is that they are unlikely to be permanent.
nekosen
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:41 pm      Reply with quote
I think u should use some products for sensitive skins. Some natual products still cause acnes such as arnica lotion.
Teabags
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:10 am      Reply with quote
m1rox wrote:
Thanks for reminding us about the preservatives. That is also an issue with the "natural" products. They either have no preservatives or very little preservatives. Certainly not up to the strength of the preservatives in commercial non-organic products. I've had a few Jurlique products grow black mould inside the bottle (yucks). So it is entirely possible that the organic and natural products might be culturing bacteria or fungi in them. And if you are acne-prone, applying bacteria-laden creams or lotions on your face might be seeding organisms into your pores to cause pimples.

that is a very interesting point. It may help explain my mega OCM purge. I did not have castor/olive at the time, so used sweet almond oil. then i decided to experiment and macerated some carrot in almond oil. i used that for a very short time, maybe only 2 or 3 days. The macerated carrot oil started to go rancid very quickly, maybe after only a week or so and, whilst i did only use it 2 or 3 times, i wonder if maybe there was bacteria or something in it that would have caused my cystic acne explosion. They do say cystic acne is a bacterial infection don't they?

Y'know, does anybody else out there sometimes wonder whether all this natural, organic stuff is worth the hassle??!!!!!! Bad Grin

Don't worry what people think - they don't do it very often. 36 year old light brunette with oily/congested skin - but no wrinkles yet though! Tan quite easily and like natural organic stuff on my skin - even better if it's homemade - and i'm a firm believer that beauty comes from within.
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:28 am      Reply with quote
Despite my remarks about organic skin care, I do use some natural and organic products but I am also not a die-hard.

I think the natural products may not solve everyone's problems. If your skin condition is due to artificial chemicals irritating your skin or triggering outbreaks, then going the organic route may help to improve the situation. But a condition like acne is very complex. Not all acne patients have the same triggers to their outbreaks and not all respond to the same treatments. At the end of the day, you might just have to admit that you need to see a doctor and get prescription creams (e.g. differin/adalpene or retin A) or even oral drugs such as Roaccutane, birth control pill or spironolactone. Because some people have such disordered skin cells or bad hormone imbalances that using organic products cannot control the condition. And it's better to fight it head on with medication rather than continue to suffer.

Before going to the doctor, you can try the natural products, change your diet, take supplements, etc etc but if they don't work, it would be prudent to seek medical help.
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:08 pm      Reply with quote
there are such a wide range of quality of products called 'natural' many of which i would ..personally... deeply question as being truly 'natural'...like the body shop brand.....

I don't really understand what the criteria are for calling something 'natural'...

imo i would even question jurlinque..as meeting the standards that seem truly 'natural' ...

but although i've never tried suki products....(i have ..all my life..used other truly natural products...and/or created my own products with organic carrier oils and eo's).. but i think i will at some point at least try them..because the purity and wholeness of the ingredients in suki products are imo truly 'natural'...and like night and day compared to the ingredients in many other products that call themselves 'natural'products.

i'm saying this because speaking about 'natural' products as though they can all be lumped together in one category..when the quality..(and imo the honesty of even calling most of them 'natural') is so very very different..it would be like saying i would never use a 'non-natural' product again because i used several that weren't effective..when as we know the range of quality and effectiveness of 'non-natural' products varies tremendously.

this..of course... isn't to say whether or not someone may be sensitive to the ingredients in suki.. or any other truly natural product.

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:09 pm      Reply with quote
there are such a wide range of quality of products called 'natural' many of which i would ..personally... deeply question as being truly 'natural'...like the body shop brand.....

I don't really understand what the criteria are for calling something 'natural'...

imo i would even question jurlinque..as meeting the standards that seem truly 'natural' ...

but although i've never tried suki products....(i have ..all my life..used other truly natural products...and/or created my own products with organic carrier oils and eo's).. but i think i will at some point at least try them..because the purity and wholeness of the ingredients in suki products are imo truly 'natural'...and like night and day compared to the ingredients in many other products that call themselves 'natural'products.

i'm saying this because speaking about 'natural' products as though they can all be lumped together in one category..when the quality..(and imo the honesty of even calling most of them 'natural') is so very very different..it would be like saying i would never use a 'non-natural' product again because i used several that weren't effective..when as we know the range of quality and effectiveness of 'non-natural' products varies tremendously.

this..of course... isn't to say whether or not someone may be sensitive to the ingredients in suki.. or any other truly natural product.

jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:23 pm      Reply with quote
Whoops! sorry for posting twice..not quite sure how it happened...

but now that i'm posting again...

Mlrox, I liked the advice you gave for those with acne problems....

but wanted to add ..that medical advice for acne...depending on one's orientation... can also include qualified herbalists... and homeopathic, naturopathic and Chinese medical practitioners ..as well as allopathic medical doctors.

SkinCareJunkie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:02 am      Reply with quote
I want to thank everyone for their advice! Well come to find out I don't think stopping Retin-A or Suki was my problem. I started taking Soy Protein and broke out with boils all over my body. This has happened to me before! I can't take Fish Oil, Flax Seed Oil, or Vitamin E. It's so strange I asked my doctor about this and she didn't have a clue why this would be. I even checked the ingredients on the bottle and I couldn't find a duplicate ingredient.

So when I start using the Suki again I think I'm going to try to introduce a product a time. Smile
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:58 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |