Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Can these ingredients cause hyperpigmentation?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:50 am      Reply with quote
I was wondering if anyone knows if alcohol in sunscreen, or fragrance in sunscreen can cause hyperpigmentation, skin darkness, or melasma?

My favorite Tinsorb sunscreen actually has a lot of fragrance in it. Any the La Roche Posay Mexoryl sunscreen I like contains alcohol.
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:11 am      Reply with quote
I'm not aware of alcohol or fragrance causing hyperpigmentation. If it's Avene that you're using, the Kid's lotion is unscented.
littlejess

Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:31 pm      Reply with quote
I use sunscreen that is scented and it has not caused any hyperpigmentation. I have never heard of any of them doing so either.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:55 pm      Reply with quote
Amona, you do a lot of peels right? Depending on the strength, they can cause post-inflamatory hyperpigmentation (PIH).

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:17 pm      Reply with quote
Yes I learned that the hard way. My love of 30 percent glycolic peels and 40 percent lactic acid peels actually made my skin a lot worse over time. Especially the lactic peels which REALLY screwed things up both pigment and texture wise, somehow making my pores bigger. I dont really get it but it was really obvious. It's better now though, the hyperpigmentation is all gone thanks to Obagi, and texture is improved. Now its just a matter of not aggravating my skin again.
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:20 pm      Reply with quote
I should add that people should not be scared of peels though. Especially glycolic peels. It was mostly when I added the lactic peels to the mix when things got bad. Also I think I was using other products too soon afterwards, which may have contributed to hyperpigmentation. I would do a peel, wait a half hour, then slather on some DMAE crem, a moisturizer, and go out. If I ever did peels again, i would do them on like a sunday night, use just sunscreen the next day, and resume regular products after a couple days of recovery so my skin barrier had time to repair.
Jax
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:35 pm      Reply with quote
This is something that I've been wondering about, too. I have never bought a sunscreen more than once because of one reason or another. Because I've tried so many different brands, I honestly think some of them have GIVEN me more brown spots. I use a lactic peel but not very regularly, and I do use glycolic acid wipes (15%) about once a week or less so I don't think this is a contributor. I also would not suspect alcohol or fragrance. I think it's possible one of the blocking ingredients - or combination of these - add spots, at least on my skin. I wish I could figure it out. One example is Clinique City Block 40spf - I swear I got new spots from this even though I had used the lower SPF version for several months and never noticed any new brown spots. Curious.
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:02 pm      Reply with quote
Some sunscreen ingredients have proven estrogenic effects, like octinoxate. I wonder if this estrogen could contribute to melasma. I dont think they have studied this. Because some people complain of hyperpigmentation after using some sunscreens. Either that, or the sunscreens they use just are not stable. There are various theories people have but no one knows for sure. You can never go wrong with Zinc oxide or Titanium dioxide and these physical sunscreen sit on top of your skin (provided they are not nanoparticles--another topic all together :P

I am disheartened to learn that my favorite French Avene sunscreen that I order straight from France contains Oxtinoxate... I thought it was Tinsorb only. It is probably OK but im paranoid about sunscreen since I slather it on and use it daily.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:48 pm      Reply with quote
amonavis wrote:
I was wondering if anyone knows if alcohol in sunscreen, or fragrance in sunscreen can cause hyperpigmentation, skin darkness, or melasma?

My favorite Tinsorb sunscreen actually has a lot of fragrance in it. Any the La Roche Posay Mexoryl sunscreen I like contains alcohol.

I'm not aware of alcohol or fragrance causing hyperpigmentation. But, sunscreen is really trial and error. I have tanned (and freckled) through what is supposedly the best sunscreen (mexoryl), and I have had lot of freckles pop out with a ton of sunscreens. I have had bad luck with a ton of sunscreens, either by tanning or freckling through them.
Jax
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:57 am      Reply with quote
There really is a big void in the sunscreen studies. My guess is any ingredient that has an estrogenic effect could cause pigmentation changes, depending on your skin and overall body chemistry. I did a ton of reading about sunscreens last summer and felt no smarter about them afterward. I've also read so many posts on this board about troublesome effects of various brands. This is one product that a lot of people are using everyday and we don't know enough about it to make the right choices for ourselves. I started using Elta MD UV Physical SPF 41 last summer and, while it's a cosmetically beautiful product, I swear I got a new brown spot on my forehead!
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:06 am      Reply with quote
yeah amonavis, I'm devastated to find out that the Avene ss contains Octinoxate. It seems too good to be true Sad

So now I'm trying to look for another alternative... I'm thinking that maybe use a physical ss w/ moisturizer for daily use such as Kimberly Sayer. It has SPF 25 and contains both Zinc Oxide & Titanium Dioxide although I don't have the % for it. I emailed the company but no replies so far...

As for spending the entire day or hrs out in the sun, use a high protective chemical ss like the Avene one. I don't think just one day use or a few days use will cause hormone disruption. Confused

What do u ladies think?

I'm using Olay SPF 30 at the moment for a few yrs already. It has Octinoxate but *touch wood*, I don't have any spots using it. In fact, it has keep me quite fair so I'm not sure if it's true that Octinoxate will in fact cause pigmentation.
alexol
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:02 am      Reply with quote
If I were woman and must avoid American sunscreen products, most of which are added with Oxybenzene, ranging from 2 to 5%.
Oxy is long-termly suspicious to be a kind of endocrine disruptor.
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:18 pm      Reply with quote
What do you guys think of octocrylene? Its in many La Roche Posay sunscreens.

I want to find a good LRP Mexoryl sunscreen BUT its proving difficult to find one that doesnt leave me an oily greasy mess. Naturally Id like to it be over SPF 40, preferably 50 or 60 Razz
Has anyone tried any LRP high SPF sunscreens that are non irritating and don't leave them all greasy? I hate oily ones because it makes my pores enlarged. Oh ya and it can't have fragrance either. I think im difficult Sad
Jax
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:02 pm      Reply with quote
I tried LRP 60SPF, the fluid in the tube, a couple of years ago. I didn't re-purchase because it left my face oily. I have normal to dry skin with a few small slightly oily patches so I know if a product results in a lot of shine, it must be pretty greasy. I also noticed several enlarged plugged pores on my nose and cheeks. Too bad because I think it's a decent sun screen. Wish I could comment on octocrylene, but I haven't researched it.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:39 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |