Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Daytime moisturizer with spf30?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Nemi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:29 am      Reply with quote
Hi,
My skin can't handle regular ss on a daily basis, but it tolerates moisturizers with ss, so I'm on the market for a new one. I quite like Dermalogica's Age Smart Dynamic Skin Recovery (or whatever it's called), but have a suspicion it's not nearly moisturizing enough for me, so I'm looking for something more moisturizing, with a spf of 30, if possible, and also, I prefer bottles or tubes to jars.

I tried wearing regular ss (various types) as a moisturizer, but that only caused irritation, plus was too oily and provided too little moisture.

Any ideas what I might try?

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:19 am      Reply with quote
Suggestions:

Olay Complete Daily Defence Daily Moisturizer SPF30
http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=89628&catid=21503

Juice Beauty Sheer Moisturizer SPF30
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/juice-beauty-sheer-moistu-p_4775.htm
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:45 am      Reply with quote
I`m using Devita Solar protective moisturizer spf30 (2 oz), it contains Zinc oxide as ss filter and other natural ingredients.
It is not too oily, suits my combination skin, does not irritate and provides enough moisture for me. It does come in a jar however.
There is a body version of Devita sunscreen, it comes in a bottle, but I have not tried it and cannot comment on it`s moisturizing abilities.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:13 am      Reply with quote
I think there are a lot of day creams with SPF worth a try.

What about LRP's Hydraphase UV?
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:23 am      Reply with quote
Aiva wrote:
I`m using Devita Solar protective moisturizer spf30 (2 oz), it contains Zinc oxide as ss filter and other natural ingredients.
It is not too oily, suits my combination skin, does not irritate and provides enough moisture for me. It does come in a jar however.
There is a body version of Devita sunscreen, it comes in a bottle, but I have not tried it and cannot comment on it`s moisturizing abilities.

I haven't yet found a site selling the body version that ships internationally at a reasonable rate. If you know of any, please post it for us here. Thanks.
aseretmarie

Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:12 am      Reply with quote
Right now I'm using DDF Organic Sun Protection. I know it's more of a sun screen than a moisturizer, but depending on your skin type it could be used as both. I have dry to normal skin and I use a serum first then the sun protection on top of that. It works great for me. I also like that it only has a physical sunscreen. I'm trying to phase out all the products I have with a chemical sunscreen. Some people say their bad for your skin, some say they are safe, but to be safe I going to stick to the physical kind.
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:30 am      Reply with quote
m1rox wrote:
Aiva wrote:

I haven't yet found a site selling the body version that ships internationally at a reasonable rate. If you know of any, please post it for us here. Thanks.

Unfortunately not Sad
I haven`t found any place to buy the body version from either. That`s why I buy the facial version from Ebay and pay $12.80 for int.shipment. More to that I`m very cautious with paying with a credit card, I prefer PayPal.
Sorry not to be helpful Sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:36 am      Reply with quote
m1rox wrote:
Suggestions:

Olay Complete Daily Defence Daily Moisturizer SPF30
http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=89628&catid=21503

Active Ingredients: Octinoxate (7.5%), Zinc Oxide (6%), Octisalate (2.5%), Octocrylene (2.5%)

I would stay away from Octinoxate. Octocrylene is also controversial.

m1rox wrote:

m1rox, how would you compare this Juice Beauty ss to the Devita one?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:51 pm      Reply with quote
Out of curiosity, have you tried ordering from internatural? It doesn't look like their international shipping is that bad:

http://www.internatural-alternative-health.com/shared/shipping.cfm#snday

Aiva wrote:
m1rox wrote:
Aiva wrote:

Unfortunately not Sad
I haven`t found any place to buy the body version from either. That`s why I buy the facial version from Ebay and pay $12.80 for int.shipment. More to that I`m very cautious with paying with a credit card, I prefer PayPal.
Sorry not to be helpful Sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:59 pm      Reply with quote
ww.devita.net sells the body version for $27.00USD + S&H and ships internationally. I have used both the face and the body versions and like the body version better. It has more "staying power" on my skin and comes in a bottle with a flipcap rather than the jar that you have to dip your fingers into each time. More economical too. Same active ingredients as far as I can tell.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:13 pm      Reply with quote
I contacted Internatural before asking about international shipment, but they never answered.

I should have a closer look atwww.devita.net and find out the shipment cost there (however I`d still prefer to use Paypal).

thank you, Nimue and Fawnie Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:19 pm      Reply with quote
Aiva: I also didn't get any reply from Internatural.

I do use chemical sunscreens. My current favourite is Avene emulsion. It has Octinoxate as well as the Tinosorbs and a small amount of physical agents. I stay away from avobenzone (stability issues) and oxybenzone (stronger evidence for absorption into the body and possible hormone effects). I know Octinoxate is also controversial but I feel that I can live with the risk for that one for the time being unless more evidence emerges. I think the air we breathe and the food that we eat also has a lot of potential hormone disruptors and carcinogens. Microionized zinc oxide may also not be completely safe although granted it would be safer than nanoparticles of zinc oxide. If I'm using a physical sunscreen, I would prefer to have some silicones in it as there is also some report that zinc particles may generate free radicals when exposed to UV light unless coated with silicones.

Well, it is sad that there seems to be no completely "safe" sunscreen around unless we hide in a cave or cover ourselves completely with opaque material.

I haven't used the Juice Beauty as I read somewhere that it's rather moisturizing. I prefer a sunscreen with some mattifying effect.
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="Aiva"]
m1rox wrote:
Suggestions:

m1rox wrote:

If I had to choose between the two based on the ingredients, I would go for the Devita as the spectrum of UV protection with zinc oxide is broader than for titanium dioxide. Zinc oxide covers more wavelengths in the UVA range (which cause ageing).
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:31 pm      Reply with quote
Maybe internatural just doesn't answer e-mails... That's definitely not good practice, but I bet if you ordered it there wouldn't be a problem.

Or you can order it directly from Devita.

Aiva wrote:
I contacted Internatural before asking about international shipment, but they never answered.

I should have a closer look atwww.devita.net and find out the shipment cost there (however I`d still prefer to use Paypal).

thank you, Nimue and Fawnie Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:52 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks m1rox! for your info on sunscreens!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:51 pm      Reply with quote
Well, I actually learnt most of this from EDS forum members too. I'm sure someone will jump in and inform me of inaccuracies, especially about the physical sunblocks which are so hotly defended on this forum!
ruk1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:34 pm      Reply with quote
I tried the Aveeno moisturizer with spf 30 and really liked it. I told a friend about it. She also tried and liked it. It's oil free and doesn't cause breakout.
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:56 am      Reply with quote
[quote="m1rox"]
Aiva wrote:
m1rox wrote:
Suggestions:

m1rox wrote:

If I had to choose between the two based on the ingredients, I would go for the Devita as the spectrum of UV protection with zinc oxide is broader than for titanium dioxide. Zinc oxide covers more wavelengths in the UVA range (which cause ageing).

this is exactly what I thought when I read the ingredients of Juice Beauty one - it contains only titanium dioxide so provides not that effective UVA protection.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:49 am      Reply with quote
Nemi

Theere are so many different types of SS out there... which ones have you tried as it might only be a case of finding the one thats best for your skin type and needs.

The only problem I find with using a dual product is that they fall short. Moisturiser is supposed to moisturise and a SS is supposed to protect from UVA/UVBs, and so many dual products really tend to be bigger on one or the other but never equal on both. Naturally everyone's skin type is different too, so what works for one, might not work for another. It depends on what your skin issues are and what your goals are.

Another thing to consider is Vit C, as thats something that works at cell level and is brilliant for protecting your cells. So you could always look into making your own vit C serum, which I used to do daily.

Nemi wrote:
Hi,
My skin can't handle regular ss on a daily basis, but it tolerates moisturizers with ss, so I'm on the market for a new one. I quite like Dermalogica's Age Smart Dynamic Skin Recovery (or whatever it's called), but have a suspicion it's not nearly moisturizing enough for me, so I'm looking for something more moisturizing, with a spf of 30, if possible, and also, I prefer bottles or tubes to jars.

I tried wearing regular ss (various types) as a moisturizer, but that only caused irritation, plus was too oily and provided too little moisture.

Any ideas what I might try?
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:13 am      Reply with quote
My derm gave me LRP Biomedic Gentle Moisturizing Lotion and that has worked quite well for me. It's SPF 15, but I think I remember seeing a SPF 30 version on the internet somewhere...
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:41 am      Reply with quote
m1rox wrote:
Aiva: I also didn't get any reply from Internatural.

I do use chemical sunscreens. My current favourite is Avene emulsion. It has Octinoxate as well as the Tinosorbs and a small amount of physical agents. I stay away from avobenzone (stability issues) and oxybenzone (stronger evidence for absorption into the body and possible hormone effects). I know Octinoxate is also controversial but I feel that I can live with the risk for that one for the time being unless more evidence emerges. I think the air we breathe and the food that we eat also has a lot of potential hormone disruptors and carcinogens. Microionized zinc oxide may also not be completely safe although granted it would be safer than nanoparticles of zinc oxide. If I'm using a physical sunscreen, I would prefer to have some silicones in it as there is also some report that zinc particles may generate free radicals when exposed to UV light unless coated with silicones.

Well, it is sad that there seems to be no completely "safe" sunscreen around unless we hide in a cave or cover ourselves completely with opaque material.

I haven't used the Juice Beauty as I read somewhere that it's rather moisturizing. I prefer a sunscreen with some mattifying effect.

mlrox, these're the ingredients for the Avene ss:

Ingredients
Avène Thermal Spring Water (Avene Aqua), Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Methylene
Bis-Benzotriazolyl Tetramethylbutylphenol, Aqua, Buttylene Glycol C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Cyclomethicone, Bis-Ethylhexyloxyphenol Methoxyphenyl Triazine, Dimethicone, Cetearyl Alcohol C20-22 Alkyl Sphosphate, Polymethyl Methacrylate, C20-22 Alcohols, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Chlorhenesin, Coco-Glucoside, Cucurbita Pepo, Decyl Glucoside, Disodium EDTA, Parfum, Hydroxethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloydimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Phenoxethanol, Polysorbate 60, Propylene Glycol, Sorbic Acid, Squalane, Titanium Dioxide, Tocopheryl Glucoside, Triethanolamine, Triethoxycaprylsilance, Trimethoxycaprylsilane, Xanthan Gum, Zinc Oxide.

I don't see any Octinoxate or Octyl Methoxycinnamate in it... Confused
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:49 pm      Reply with quote
Ah, I thought that Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate was another chemical name for Octinoxate or a chemical that's related to Octinoxate. If you don't think that is so, well, I'm even happier to continue using it. I think it provides very good protection. And I've used it for golfing, skiing, swimming, etc. Has helped to control my pigmentation in equatorial weather with sun all year round.
nekosen
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:30 pm      Reply with quote
I think spf30 is little bit high for daily life.
SPF 15-20 is enough. I use SPF12 everyday, only 30 in summer.
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:34 pm      Reply with quote
Depends on where you live and whether you're using exfoliating products on your skin, e.g. retinoids, hydroxy acids.

I live in an equatorial climate with sun all year round and I use retinoids. So I would consider that I need at least SPF30.
Yiying
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:39 pm      Reply with quote
I recommend Valmont Time Perfection,but it is SPF 20.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:31 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |