Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Can mice find a way up on to the 14th floor of a condo?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:14 pm      Reply with quote
As titled. I saw some mice at the ground level in the parking lot where the garbage is. Can they climb up walls to the 14th floor? Or go thru pipes up? Shock
skin care addict
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:01 pm      Reply with quote
Star,
Yes,mice can go just about anywhere. Confused
There will be signs if they are living with you.
Kitchen cupboards would be a good place to check for droppings.
I use peppermint oil on my doorways and openings that might be inviting for ants,spiders,etc to discourage them from coming in.But,I will set a trap if a mouse does decide to share my home.
Remember,youre bigger than they are.

Smile
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:09 pm      Reply with quote
skin care addict wrote:
Star,
Yes,mice can go just about anywhere. Confused
There will be signs if they are living with you.
Kitchen cupboards would be a good place to check for droppings.
I use peppermint oil on my doorways and openings that might be inviting for ants,spiders,etc to discourage them from coming in.But,I will set a trap if a mouse does decide to share my home.
Remember,youre bigger than they are.

Smile

eeek!!! But on the 14th floor?!!??? How do they manage to climb up? It's actually a new place! I also wonder how do they squeeze thru cupboards and doors?? So what kinda peppermint oil do u use? And does it work for u so far? Do I just wipe openings with peppermint oil and I should be safe? Thanks! Smile
red head
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:53 pm      Reply with quote
mice have spines that collapse and they can flatten themselves under the smallest of spaces. If you live on the 14th floor I am sure that he/she will have found a interesting place before they get up that high

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:40 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Star,
Good explanation from redhead. Smile I hope youre not worrying about mice. If you visit a Home Depot,of hardware store they will get you what you need. And how lucky you are to have a nice new 14th floor apartment. Hope you have a lovely
view.

Smile
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:40 am      Reply with quote
Hey Stardusty,

That would really skeeve me out too if I saw mice in the garage of a new place! But aside from the other tips posted here, the main thing you can do to avoid an unpleasant "visit" is to maintain a very clean household in terms of food products (i.e. sweep your kitchen floor often), and keep all your food stored in very airtight containers. And definitely don't start a little at-home compost bucket! Laughing Also make sure to take out your kitchen trash frequently, and don't throw away food wrappers/etc. anywhere but your frequently-emptied kitchen trash.

Mice can chew through pretty much anything if they're determined enough, so it's important that they don't get the opportunity to smell foods. Stuff like rice, cereal, crackers, flour, and other grains can be a bad culprit, since it's the main kind of thing that mice go for -- so instead of just storing stuff like that in the bag it comes in, and maybe folding over the top, you should just invest in some cheap airtight Tupperware-type containers/cannisters and store all loose grains in those. That's one of those hot-button food items that people don't think about, but that mice can get into really easily. The built-in packaging system that the manufacturer gives you is not enough. (And as a bonus, your stuff will definitely stay fresher longer this way.) Also don't store loaves of bread out in a breadbox or anything -- into a Tupperware or the fridge or freezer they go!

Quite frankly, one of your neighbors will probably have a lower standard of cleanliness than you do, so the mice are most likely to gravitate to that household! Just be good about food-related messes and you shouldn't have any trouble.

By the way, this is speaking as a gal who a) kept pet mice as a kid, and b) later lived in a disgusting mouse-infested student housing center in college. SO gross, and a very different thing to keep them intentionally and unintentionally! But cutting out the access to food and food trash made the mice go inhabit the next apartment over instead. Smile Hope this helps for you too, and don't stress too much -- most people have a cleanliness level that means they won't be getting little furry visitors. It's only extremely slobby conditions that can summon them!

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:43 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks ladies for the responses!

Skincareaddict, I'm really worry about mice as I'm horrify of them. The white ones seem cute but not the black or grey ones with a long tail Confused And yes although I'm afraid of height, I do enjoy the view once in awhile!

red head, I hope u r right when u said the mice will find a place for themselves before they get too high up to the 14th floor.

ginnielizz, ur advice is good! I'll make sure I take out the garbage like every night and don't keep any food under the sink. BTW, if I keep the food elsewhere like up high on those cupboards, do u think mice can still go up there or it's just under the kitchen sink that I need to worry about?
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:22 pm      Reply with quote
Mice can climb frickin' anything -- ALL your foods should be 100% airtight, at least until the building manager assures you that the unwanted visitors are gone!

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:16 pm      Reply with quote
ginnielizz wrote:
Mice can climb frickin' anything -- ALL your foods should be 100% airtight, at least until the building manager assures you that the unwanted visitors are gone!

hhm what about fruits then? I don't think I can put all the fruits into the fridge? Does mice chew on fruits too? Confused
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:05 pm      Reply with quote
I don't really know -- my pet mice loved fruit but I wouldn't want to keep my fruit all in the fridge either. I don't know what to tell ya! Something tells me this problem will be resolved well before they make it up to your floor, but if you're paranoid, just don't leave anything bruised/cut open around? I guess? (You've officially reached the end of my rodent knowledge!)

Diana P
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:51 pm      Reply with quote
When I was in college I had a mouse in the fourth floor apartment. My little guy was only 2, so a trap and mouse poison was out of the question. Someone suggested using this sticky tray mouse trap. Never again!! I woke up one night to what I thought was a screaming cat in my son's room and turns out it was a mouse caught in the sticky stuff and was literally trying to bite it's legs off. Crying or Very sad I felt terrible and tried to get it off the tray but it was stuck on there good. And of course I didn't have the guts to put it out of it's misery so I just put it in a box out on the balcony. I felt so bad for the little thing. So if you ever need to get rid of one, I'd adivse you not to use those sticky trays.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:25 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks ginnielizz! I guess I asked too much! hehe Very Happy I'll try to keep things covered then.

Diana P, yeah sometimes u feel bad about seeing a dead mouse or a mouse trying to escape from your trap. I guess same goes for those mouse trap where they snapped the mouse tight? The mouse is not entirely dead yet and they're still squeaking and struggling trying to get out Neutral I guess whatever method I used to kill the mouse is as bad as not doing anything!
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:23 pm      Reply with quote
I know people who've had success with the more humane live traps, where a wall just shuts them into a box once you've lured them in with some peanut butter -- but IMO that might be more likely to *attract* mice! That's probably only a good solution if you already know you're dealing with an infestation.

I can't imagine the horror of hearing a mouse try and chew its own legs off. There's not really a "humane" way to kill something, but I mean, it is vermin. I don't know. Probably the traps that kill them with a snap are at least quick, you know? Embarassed

appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:43 am      Reply with quote
I live in a high rise, just a little higher than 14th floor, and even the cockroaches have never made it up here, ever, not a single one Very Happy

The area I live is REALLY high density, with lots of restaurants/food outlets downstairs, and though I’ve seen plenty of cockroaches (and even the occasional rat!) in the vicinity at ground level, none of them have ever dragged their lazy butts up so high.

You should be fine. Like red head said, the mice (and cockroaches) will find something interesting way below the 14th floor.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:11 pm      Reply with quote
appletini wrote:
I live in a high rise, just a little higher than 14th floor, and even the cockroaches have never made it up here, ever, not a single one Very Happy

The area I live is REALLY high density, with lots of restaurants/food outlets downstairs, and though I’ve seen plenty of cockroaches (and even the occasional rat!) in the vicinity at ground level, none of them have ever dragged their lazy butts up so high.

You should be fine. Like red head said, the mice (and cockroaches) will find something interesting way below the 14th floor.

Thanks appletini! I'm reassured by your post! I guess I'm getting myself paranoid here... So do u see any spiders of any sort at your place then?
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:44 am      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
So do u see any spiders of any sort at your place then?

I think spiders like to have some greenery/trees around, don't they? Or at least some dirt... Anyway, there's none of that in the concrete canyon I live in, so no spiders either!

I think a flying wasp came in my bedroom window once, but that's the only bug I can remember encountering...
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:18 pm      Reply with quote
HoHo Star: if you are the least bit squeamish about animal "visitors" you'd sure hate Florida!!
The weirdest thing I saw was the "walking catfish" in my garage, but by far the most disgusting were the palmetto bugs, which are essentially flying cockroaches.......EEEEEEEK! And they fly right into your face at night.
Then there was the alligator that lived in the canal in our backyard - sometimes he would feast on the little doggies....... or my neighbor's arm when she was weeding - she must've scared the old devil!
I could go on for a few more pages, but you get the idea! I couldn't get away from there fast enough! Shock

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:29 pm      Reply with quote
appletini, I do hope I won't have any encounter with those crawling or flying creatures. Let's have my fingers crossed when I moved in later!

fawnie, I'll make sure I don't go to Florida haha... It does sound scary! What's a walking catfish? Flying cochcroaches! eewww Also, alligators? U must be kidding me!! It sounds like you're living in the forest or swamp! Very Happy
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:05 pm      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:

fawnie, I'll make sure I don't go to Florida haha... It does sound scary! What's a walking catfish? Flying cochcroaches! eewww Also, alligators? U must be kidding me!! It sounds like you're living in the forest or swamp! Very Happy

Star, South Florida IS a different world... tropical...a jungle AND a swamp!
And I forgot to tell you about the panthers, didn't I!!! Not to mention the sharks....hohoho! Next time I'm staying in SoBe in the condos!!! Mice or no....

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:46 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, and for your sake (if its yours) i hope they dont.
nyamyj
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:56 pm      Reply with quote
Unfortunately, they do travel all over. I lived on the 15th floor growing up and remember at one point we had a mouse visitor. UGH!
mb935
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:43 am      Reply with quote
As Diana explained - glue traps are torture chambers for mice. I know some of you just dont care - but these animals feel that pain and think of being glued to the floor being so frightened that yes you try to bite your own limbs off. Mice usually die several days after being glued and either freeze to death or starve or die from breaking their bones trying to remove themselves.

Those ultrasonic devices DO work. but if you must - please use the trap that will kill them instantly.

Thanks for reading... Smile
mb935
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:06 pm      Reply with quote
PS....

I wanted to add - if you do find a mouse in a glue trap struggling for its life - you CAN release them with oil which is very easy to do - wear gloves though of course.

I wasnt always like this by the way - i just can no longer accept animals being tortured knowing that they really suffer - just as we do. I certainly wouldnt want mice in my home either - but there are always humane ways to deal with these situations.
Bluerain
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:40 pm      Reply with quote
Yes I agree about the sticky traps...they die of a slow and very painful death and sometimes rip off there own legs to get free and then die from bleeding to death all over the place.

It's cruel for sure.

If anyone has mice try something other then them torture sticky traps.

Diana P wrote:
When I was in college I had a mouse in the fourth floor apartment. My little guy was only 2, so a trap and mouse poison was out of the question. Someone suggested using this sticky tray mouse trap. Never again!! I woke up one night to what I thought was a screaming cat in my son's room and turns out it was a mouse caught in the sticky stuff and was literally trying to bite it's legs off. Crying or Very sad I felt terrible and tried to get it off the tray but it was stuck on there good. And of course I didn't have the guts to put it out of it's misery so I just put it in a box out on the balcony. I felt so bad for the little thing. So if you ever need to get rid of one, I'd adivse you not to use those sticky trays.
Bluerain
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:43 pm      Reply with quote
I tell people all the time not to use them . I ask them to picture themselves stuck on a giant sticky tray for a week or more and ripping off your limbs to get free with little or no success but torture.

mb935 wrote:
As Diana explained - glue traps are torture chambers for mice. I know some of you just dont care - but these animals feel that pain and think of being glued to the floor being so frightened that yes you try to bite your own limbs off. Mice usually die several days after being glued and either freeze to death or starve or die from breaking their bones trying to remove themselves.

Those ultrasonic devices DO work. but if you must - please use the trap that will kill them instantly.

Thanks for reading... Smile
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:20 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |