Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
smashbox photo finish foundation primer Question
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Aga
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:10 pm      Reply with quote
hello there,

I was wondering if the smashbox photo finish foundation primer can be worn alone and if it gives any coverage at all?

THX![/code]

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:26 pm      Reply with quote
No coverage at all. Sort of gives a filmy finish. Not matte, not dewy. Hard to explain. It's great under makeup though.
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:01 am      Reply with quote
I wear it on it's own sometimes. I think it smooths out large pores a bit.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:06 pm      Reply with quote
Sometimes when I wear foundation or powder it seems to accentuate every pore and every bump on my skin even more than without wearing it at all.

Would this primer help with that problem?

5% products discount

Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:02 am      Reply with quote
I have enlarged pores. My face tone is quite even, so I just something to hide my pores. Will this product clog the pores?

Anyone knows where I can get it in Vancouver?
Thanks!
Eve
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:25 am      Reply with quote
does sephora stock it?

I like to think of this and other primers like it as polyfiller for the face, I think you call that stuff spackle?

apple, I would take a little more care when cleansing to ensure it doesn't clog the pores- it shouldn't but the very nature of it, sitting in the pores to give a smooth foundation, suggests to me to make sure it's all off.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:44 am      Reply with quote
Aga, I have open pores, too. I tried the Laura Mercier foundation primer, which I'm guessing the Smashbox one is similar to, and the results were great: looked like I was born poreless.

But I didn't like the idea of having to slap on too many things on my face, so what I do now to minimise pore size is simply fill up my pores on the cheeks (that's what the primer does, I guess, like Eve said, polyfills the pores) with foundation and cover up the rest of my face with powder.

I wouldn't use the primer alone. Under makeup though, it's always amazing.
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:39 am      Reply with quote
I got mine at the Canadian shopping channel website,www.theshoppingchannel.com I believe. Lianne buys her's in Vancouver, I don't know which stores exactly but she gets it at Shopper's Drugs. If you search the forum for the primer the post should come up.

I wouldn't use it on it's own either, although if my skin were better I would. It would work to mattify and even out the texture for someone who only needed that sort of thing.

5% products discount

Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:11 pm      Reply with quote
Eve wrote:
does sephora stock it?

I like to think of this and other primers like it as polyfiller for the face, I think you call that stuff spackle?

apple, I would take a little more care when cleansing to ensure it doesn't clog the pores- it shouldn't but the very nature of it, sitting in the pores to give a smooth foundation, suggests to me to make sure it's all off.

Thanks Eve, I am working hard on cleansing now Laughing Dr. Hauschka's Cleansing Cream seems to make my pores clean, but it doesn't make them appear smaller. That's y I am interested in the makeup primer.

Anyone tried both the Laura Mercier and Smashbox version? I wonder which one is better.

Thanks!
Debra
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:54 pm      Reply with quote
Hi! I've used Laura Mercier and Smashbox, and, in my opinion, Smashbox wins hands down. LM is more of a light lotion base and, frankly, I was rather disappointed after reading and hearing all the hype. Smashbox is a clear gel-type formula, and only a teeny amount is needed for your entire face. I love the silky texture when applying and the smoothness of my skin after applying. I use a bit on my neck, too! It does create a nice prep for foundation or tinted moisturizer. Sometimes, I'll apply SM primer, then just a little Clarins Flash balm for a more natural look. Clean, fresh look.

I don't have problems with breakouts, so I cannot offer any feedback here, but I haven't had problems with clogged pores.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:07 pm      Reply with quote
Lolli,

I get it at yaletown and dunbar shoppers. A lot more stores back east have it.

If anyone is looking go to shoppersdrugmart.com and click on the beauty boutique and then find a location near you and looks to see if they lists carrying smashbox.

5% products discount

Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:54 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks gals! Can't wait to get the smashbox primer!

So do you gals use sunblock with this?
RGGAL365
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:18 pm      Reply with quote
I love the way this primer smoothes my wrinkles and mattifies my face but I do find that my combination skin looks oily within a couple of hours of applying this product.
LisaAnn
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:57 pm      Reply with quote
Let me suggest a much cheaper alternative to Smashbox, don't be turned off by the name Wink Basically same ingredients at a much more affordable price.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=139254&catid=26832
Dahli
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:25 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks LisaAnn! That's brilliant!
felinehhy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:59 pm      Reply with quote
no coverage at all, it just do some moistrising work and make the successive process smooth
doohicus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:53 pm      Reply with quote
It has SPF 15. Could I wear it alone for the protection during the day? Some days I don't feel like makeup. Does it give a smooth appearance? Sorry for more questions and no answers.
LisaAnn
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:43 am      Reply with quote
Dahli wrote:
Thanks LisaAnn! That's brilliant!

You're welcome!
jenw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:13 pm      Reply with quote
I absolutly LOVE this product and will not be without it....ever!!! Your makeup just goes on so smoothly and makes it last all day! I got mine at Shoppers Drug Mart in Canada but I also know you can by it from theshoppingchannel.com as well! Definitly worth every penny!
Starlight
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:03 pm      Reply with quote
O.K. I have been eyeing this product for a long time and after reading this post it seems this is the answer to my enlarged pores problem. So, I just made the purchase! Thanks
rosyface
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:43 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
Let me suggest a much cheaper alternative to Smashbox, don't be turned off by the name Basically same ingredients at a much more affordable price.

i bought some of this in the summer and couldn't remember why. Thanks for reminding me, i had heard of this somewhere else and purchased but then had a brainburp and couldn't for the life of me remember what for and it's been sitting in my drawer ever since. Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:17 pm      Reply with quote
It makes my face skin smooth and easy to makeup.It adjusts my skin tone brighter too.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:06 am      Reply with quote
LisaAnn wrote:
Let me suggest a much cheaper alternative to Smashbox, don't be turned off by the name Wink Basically same ingredients at a much more affordable price.

I just heard about this on another forum, there are some who swear that Monistat Chafing Gel [not to be confused with the yeast infection treatment made by the same company] has basically the same ingredients as Smashbox! Smashbox has additional ingredients like Vit A and E derivatives but the ingredients certainly look the same! Amazing....

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
cawl
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:11 am      Reply with quote
I received a bottle of the smashbox primer during a mua swap, I wasn't sure what to expect since I don't wear much face makeup on a regular base. Well I'm a fan now! I still don't use it a lot but when I am going out for the night or just want to look really polished this is my go to secret. A small amount smoothed on before foundation or tinted moisturizer completely evens out your complexion, minimizes pores and keeps makeup looking fresh much longer. Since I don't wear it everyday I can't really comment on if it would break me out but since it contains silicone I definitely make sure it is completely washed off!
MrsDowFire
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:27 pm      Reply with quote
athena123 wrote:
LisaAnn wrote:

I just heard about this on another forum, there are some who swear that Monistat Chafing Gel [not to be confused with the yeast infection treatment made by the same company] has basically the same ingredients as Smashbox! Smashbox has additional ingredients like Vit A and E derivatives but the ingredients certainly look the same! Amazing....

I've been using Smashbox and never knew there was a cheaper alternative. I will ad to my list for my next order to compare the 2 items. Thank you.

Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:32 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |