Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Coping with Product Lust
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
KBLang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:09 pm      Reply with quote
So I've been thinking about "product lust" lately -- how I fall deeply in love with new products (or products that I don't own) when browsing beauty catalogs, reading EDS reviews, etc. The pretty pictures, the enticing claims, the hope of brand new, beautiful skin in mere moments... And because I (like the rest of the world) am trying to reign in my spending a little bit, I've had to hold back from just going ahead and purchasing the next "miracle."

I was sorting out my vanity over the holidays, which also meant going through all my samples, many of which I didn't know I even had (or how to use them!) so I went on EDS to learn about them. Lo and behold, with all my samples there were miracles just waiting there for me! While I was at it, though, I decided to look at the old reviews that made me buy my daily-use products in the first place, and that's what I'm actually posting about: how reviewing the blurbs on my normal cleanser, moisturizer, etc. helped me to get "re-excited" about them. Just because it's not new doesn't mean it's not good. Smile I enjoy the sensual pleasure of what I use normally (how it smell or feels good), but I'm always wondering if there's something better...

I'm sure people have figured lots of this out already, but it's just my two-cents about dealing with product lust, particularly when money's tight. I'm getting to fall back in love with all the stuff that's already in my bathroom! Don't just recycle, reread!! Very Happy

early 30s; combo skin: medium-fair pale with freckles, controlled breakouts. Love: argan and tamanu oil, Devita SS, NCN rhassoul cleansing bar, pumpkin peel, DIY Vit C serum. Getting into more DIY... Fan of natural/organic products.
Juliemarie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:26 pm      Reply with quote
Yes! the big downer is that i have so much, it loses it potency before i have a chance to use it Crying or Very sad
Frodo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:27 pm      Reply with quote
Great topic, great post. I boxed up all my "didn't care for" products and ALL my samples and sent them off to a friend. Boy was there alot, more like GOBS of stuff.I took a bunch of creams and put them in a cleaned out 4 oz jar and am using that on my legs and arms. It's amazing how fast the products mulitply when one is on a gotta have mission. My spending overall has been cut way back but then along comes the STOP. Wink

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:53 pm      Reply with quote
I'm glad to have other ladies who know where I'm coming from!

Juliemarie, I have the exact same problem with too many samples, which I didn't know I had until I cleaned out my stash! I had to prioritize what I really wanted to try (based on reviews, or I'll admit, how expensive the original was Wink ). But of course using a different product everyday would just be counter-productive...

Sending to a friend is a good idea, Frodo. I need to cultivate more girly-girl relationships simply so I can give my products away! Laughing Once I just posted the lot up on eBay, especially because there were a lot of perfumes, which I'm sensitive too -- at least they weren't being wasted that way. I've also done the same thing with misc. lotions; I use them on my body now. I think I joked on an earlier post that I literally use nine different moisturizers at night (face, body, lips, feet, hands) -- that's just ridiculous, or wonderful, depending on your perspective!

early 30s; combo skin: medium-fair pale with freckles, controlled breakouts. Love: argan and tamanu oil, Devita SS, NCN rhassoul cleansing bar, pumpkin peel, DIY Vit C serum. Getting into more DIY... Fan of natural/organic products.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:03 pm      Reply with quote
What a great post, KBLang. I definitely can relate. It is so hard not to get caught up with the hype of the new miracle product or the latest raves on the forum.

I also had a ton of samples that I recently bagged up and shipped out to others.

I think a good idea is to try to stick with something for 6 months to see if the product will work or not. Most of the clinical studies done on products are a good 3 months long (and my skin takes longer to react that most it seems). That right there is helping me not buy any new products.
harriet
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:37 am      Reply with quote
Hi. very useful topic. I have trouble with wanting to go on to the next "great" thing. I realize sometimes it is because the product is not working for me or just is not very effective at all. and at times I think it is that the routine gets stale and I need to be creative in using different combinations. Also, where I live there is a huge difference in the seasons. I just don't want to use things that cancel each other out but I think I am finding a solution. Hard to know what to do with the things that I haven't finished..usually use on my chest.
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:42 am      Reply with quote
I have seen village life in India..and have experienced first hand how difficult it is for people to have necessary food and medical care for their family..and i am conscious of so many peoples in the world..due to wars, natural disasters,famine, lack of water,disease, etc. who are unnecessarily suffering and dying for lack of money to help them.

So....last fall I committed to myself that everytime i spent money on anything that wasn't essential for life..i would donate the same amount i had spent to a Cause that i felt desperately needed the money..

This really has made me consider, deeply, whether or not i'm going to make a purchase... because i am going to be spending twice what it costs..once for the item itself..and once again to the Cause i am donating to.

Personally, i wish i was 'free' enough to fore go the unessential item for myself altogether..and donate everything to those who are truly suffering..but i'm honestly not yet willing to give up ...that totally... my identification with the material world...so this is currently a good compromise for me..and one that allows me 'to live with myself' in these times...

and it is highly effective for me in terms of curbing my beauty product lust.

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:51 am      Reply with quote
What a terrific idea, jasminerosey! This is a wonderful way to be thoughtful about our consumption while at the same time supporting a cause that we believe in.

I grew up in a religious tradition that required tithing--the idea that you give ten percent of your income to the church. While I have moved away from that particular religion, we continue to to tithe by giving ten percent to various charities and causes. But I think I will add your one-for-one contribution idea, too. It will make me stop and think more before buying unnecessaries, and that's a good thing in and of itself.
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:25 am      Reply with quote
thanks flitcraft..for your generosity in tithing..because it is inspiring to me...and makes me consider wanting to donate even more than i do.

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
Lara1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:49 am      Reply with quote
Great post! I can definitely relate to this. It is hard for me to stop buying products. I already have staffed my fridge with creams ( I am not even talking about samples), moisturizers, etc and there are many other new products that I haven't tried yet. I always search for the best product that will work for me.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:44 pm      Reply with quote
I appreciate your inspiration and example, jasminerosey and flitcraft. I'm impressed by the innovation of your donation system, jasminrosey! I think taking stock (literally and figuratively) of what we have is so important, even if it just leads to small changes or means we're more aware of and grateful for what we do have...

And yes, I think you're right about needing to "test" a product for 3-6 months, rileygirl. Patience is less of a virtue these days, but it has long term benefits! And if I really get antsy, I open a sample or start my re-reading. Smile

fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:36 pm      Reply with quote
You guys are inspiring! And helping me to reign in those "lemmings" for the latest and greatest. I swap my stuff at MakeupAlley.com. My rule is to not buy anything new unless I have tried it first by swapping. And to get rid of more than I take in...by donating to women's shelters or giving away.

Jasminerosey, your "buy-one-give-one" is a magnificient idea - and Flitcraft I respect that you tithe, it's such a wonderful old custom that is even more important in our world today.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:06 pm      Reply with quote
I am officially a product lust addict as well. I love trying out the new products that come out. It's so fun and I feel as though it's pampering ^^ My one splurge in life.
catballou
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:47 am      Reply with quote
I've learned a lot in this forum, but I have to be vigilant in not giving in to all the excitement over the newest HG. With the economy like it is now, I think longer before buying, and I've only given in to one over-hyped product in the past year. Live and learn. I'm keeping it on the shelf in my walk-in closet as a reminder.

Quote:
I think a good idea is to try to stick with something for 6 months to see if the product will work or not.
Very true. In fact, I don't even like samples because with most of them, there's enough for one or two uses, and I can't tell anything from that except maybe scent and texture of the product. It takes several months to determine whether it's going to work for me.

I’m 60, never smoked, eat healthy, fitness center + hiking, lots of water and nutrients, size 4 jeans Smile, some lower facial sagging, but it’s improving with AALS, Clarisonic, Remergent, L2K, (including her new hand held devices), Ageless exercises, peels, OCM, etc. “This is my face; deal with it.” Annette Bening
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:24 am      Reply with quote
It is a delight to have you; jasminerosey among us on EDS. Another good perspective and a willingness to share on a finer level. thanks....

Service and giving to others is what ultimately feels the best.
and realistically we do live in a material world so the ability to balance these things can take conscious choice.

jasminerosey wrote:
I have seen village life in India..and have experienced first hand how difficult it is for people to have necessary food and medical care for their family..and i am conscious of so many peoples in the world..due to wars, natural disasters,famine, lack of water,disease, etc. who are unnecessarily suffering and dying for lack of money to help them.

So....last fall I committed to myself that everytime i spent money on anything that wasn't essential for life..i would donate the same amount i had spent to a Cause that i felt desperately needed the money..

This really has made me consider, deeply, whether or not i'm going to make a purchase... because i am going to be spending twice what it costs..once for the item itself..and once again to the Cause i am donating to.

Personally, i wish i was 'free' enough to fore go the unessential item for myself altogether..and donate everything to those who are truly suffering..but i'm honestly not yet willing to give up ...that totally... my identification with the material world...so this is currently a good compromise for me..and one that allows me 'to live with myself' in these times...

and it is highly effective for me in terms of curbing my beauty product lust.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:53 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |