Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)
Anyone actually use 1/2 tsp sunscreen everyday?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:32 am      Reply with quote
Just wondering how many people actually follow the recommended dosage of 1/2 teaspoon sunscreen for face and neck to get the full SPF coverage? Last time I tried it, my friends laughed at me for looking like a Chinese opera singer! I'd like to know how many of you find that amount of product unrealistic for everyday use.. And how much do you actually use? Thanks!
dsq
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:49 am      Reply with quote
i don't think i use that much. i try to saturate the areas without having excess products to rub in. i don't like having too much product on my skin and i just try to avoid the sun in general anyways.

but in 10-20 years, maybe you will be the one who's laughing like an opera singer when you have beautiful undamaged skin while your friends have wrinkly sun damaged skin Bad Grin

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:59 am      Reply with quote
I thought it was 1/4 tsp? maybe its 1/2 for face AND neck and the 1/4 is for face only?????

1/2 tsp is that much if you have a fluid SS but I can it would had to do with a cream.
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:56 am      Reply with quote
It's 1/4 tsp for face + 1/4 tsp for neck = 1/2 tsp total.

But even with a cream, unless it's clear, I don't see how I can go out without looking ridiculous. Besides, my derm told me sunscreen is not meant to be 'rubbed' in, becuase that could potentially clog more pores.

I think I use less than 1/4 tsp total for face and neck. That's why I try to find the highest SPF possible. Figured at least that way say if I'm using 50+, I should be getting at least something like SPF 25, right?
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:58 am      Reply with quote
Oh, I also want to add- how many of you reapply sunscreen every 2 hours during the day, as is recommended by dermatologists?

And if yes, do you wash the face and start all over with serums + cream, or do you just slather it on top of existing make up? Thanks!
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:14 pm      Reply with quote
I use 1 tsp Devita for face, neck, decollete and hands.

If I am outside and need longer-lasting sweat-proof protection I use 1 tsp Avene Emulsion 50+. I don't reapply unless I get wet or am at the beach.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:59 pm      Reply with quote
Ah sunscreen. This topic causes me endless frustration! What kind to buy, when to apply/reapply, how much to put on, etc.! It actually used to stress me out! Now, I'm just trying to do the best I can without looking ridiculous. So if I'm running late and don't have 30 minutes to wait for it to set, I just go.

As for the amount, I do what I think is reasonable. I'm sure it's not the recommended 1/4 tsp but I've tried that and ended up looking crazy and feeling sticky and gross. So I may not be getting the fully protection but at least I can feel confident going out and not like an oil slick!
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:44 pm      Reply with quote
fat_swan wrote:
Oh, I also want to add- how many of you reapply sunscreen every 2 hours during the day, as is recommended by dermatologists?

I only do if I'm going to be outside alot. Which usually if I'm going to be outside for a while I wont wear makeup because it gets so humid here it just melts off anyway.
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:39 pm      Reply with quote
fat_swan wrote:
Oh, I also want to add- how many of you reapply sunscreen every 2 hours during the day, as is recommended by dermatologists? Its every two hours if you're in the sun for that long. I wouldn't apply it every 2 hours if I was indoors for most of the day.

And if yes, do you wash the face and start all over with serums + cream, or do you just slather it on top of existing make up? Thanks!
No you don't have to do that...unless you want to. If you use a foundation with an spf in it already, than that solves the problem. I use an spf 15 tinted moisturizer from Paula's Choice.
Camelia
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:52 pm      Reply with quote
fat_swan, you're not alone with this dilemma believe me. It's completely unrealistic for cosmetic companies to assume that us ladies have the time or inclination to reapply a sunscreen every couple of hours I agree. I just make sure that my sunscreen is photostable and hope for the best. I may reapply after about 6 hours or so. I think this is ok if you're not in direct sunlight for this length of time. If you are, you really need sunglasses and a hat on top of skin protection anyway.

I probably do apply 1/2 a tsp to my face Embarassed at least Embarassed I currently use the Anthelios tinted sunscreen. This counteracts the ghost face look and the level of protection is high. It's a bit shiny but what can you do? Powder usually sorts that out.

There is also a Remede tinted moisturiser/sunscreen that some people like. I haven't tried it though because, the UVA level of protection isn't high enough for me. There's a range of colors though. Might be good.

I've read that some people, mix MAC F&B foundation in with their sunscreen. I'm not sure how this would work in all reality though. The shade of foundation would have to be darker than you'd usually have in order to counteract the white of the sunscreen. Plus, you'd need a fair bit of sunscreen to ensure that there was enough protection. Most derms, recommend that there shouldn't be anything (at most a serum) b/w your skin and the sunscreen. Very important to wait 20 minutes or so before applying makeup or going out into the sun with a chemical sunscreen. Some of the initial whiteness from the application will have disappeared within this time anyway. A creamy blusher to the lips, cheeks and lightly across the bridge of the nose enlivens the face again.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:54 pm      Reply with quote
I don't use 1/2 tsp. I use about a pea size. Too much of SS makes my skin too greasy looking.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:21 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |