Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Shaving the Lines on your Upper Lip
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
InkyProse
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:42 pm      Reply with quote
Does anyone else do this? I do it 'cause it works. No lie. You've got to do it slowly-- don't take a huge gash out all at once.
Frodo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:59 pm      Reply with quote
Please explain in more depth. Are you just shaving or taking skin off. Your wording has confused me. You said "don't take a huge gash out all at once". Are we talking removing skin but only a little at a time?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:16 am      Reply with quote
Frodo wrote:
Please explain in more depth. Are you just shaving or taking skin off. Your wording has confused me. You said "don't take a huge gash out all at once". Are we talking removing skin but only a little at a time?

Sorry about the above quote. I can't seem to turn on my HTML.

When I see a line starting, I use a regular shaver you can buy at the store and I start shaving it, getting a little bit of the skin. I let it heal and if it is still there, I shave it again. Of course, if you get too much skin, it will bleed, but you can cover it with make up. I have lately found that I need to use something called New Skin on the shaved part to keep it from pulling apart while it is healing (it is an antiseptic liquid bandage). It peels after a while so you need to keep an eye on it. Of course you need to put make up on a scab if there is one there.

I got a book from Rachel Perry about 8 years ago and she said that she was convinced that men didn't have lip lines because they shaved. I forget her complete explanation, but it had to do with exfoliation. Anyway, she said that women shouldn't do it, but I do it anyway. Heck, it's my lip!
InkyProse
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:18 am      Reply with quote
InkyProse wrote:
Frodo wrote:

Sorry about the above quote. I can't seem to turn on my HTML.

When I see a line starting, I use a regular shaver you can buy at the store and I start shaving it, getting a little bit of the skin. I let it heal and if it is still there, I shave it again. Of course, if you get too much skin, it will bleed, but you can cover it with make up. I have lately found that I need to use something called New Skin on the shaved part to keep it from pulling apart while it is healing (it is an antiseptic liquid bandage). It peels after a while so you need to keep an eye on it. Of course you need to put make up on a scab if there is one there.

I got a book from Rachel Perry about 8 years ago and she said that she was convinced that men didn't have lip lines because they shaved. I forget her complete explanation, but it had to do with exfoliation. Anyway, she said that women shouldn't do it, but I do it anyway. Heck, it's my lip!

Also, the New Skin burns if it is put directly on raw meat, so I put some beeswax-type stuff on it first.
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:35 am      Reply with quote
I have read that book, and your right Rachel Perry does think men don't get the dread lines because of shaving, and I am afraid I don't necessarily think this is true for the majority of women. Its also partly because males have thicker skins, and their hormone system (just think testorone and the like) is somewhat different than you ladies (but you knew that already). Also men rarely use the amount of products on their lips that women do, so most times their lips are able to hydrate themselves naturally very well because of many different factors.

Having said that, I do know of many people experimenting with shaving their entire facial areas as a means of exfoliating who swear by it.... and like most things, if you believe it works for you... it probably will! Laughing
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:40 am      Reply with quote
There's been a number of threads on the Forum about shaving the face - and yes, some members believe it's an excellent way of exfoliating the skin. However, I've never heard of anyone actually purposely stripping off pieces of skin. I'm sure the idea is to remove dead skin cells, not to actually remove the skin.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:45 am      Reply with quote
I agree with you Keliu, but I don't think that in shaving the face the idea is to strip the skin off completely, but as you say, remove the older skin cells, and thus encourage the body to regenerate and make newer ones. However, I have to confess, I don't shave my entire face (but I am a guy so shave my beard region), but I'm always open to hearing these things. Sometimes there are gems out there!
zverenok
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:09 am      Reply with quote
I think it's just sick and totally gross.

someone "thinking" something is true doesn't make it true. And it's not supported by any scientific evidence!

men have different biology, different skin - theirs doesn't stretch , they don't bear babies, where as we get stretched bellies Smile

Just sick imho! masochistic approach
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:12 am      Reply with quote
Well although I don't think its 100% true, I don't think I would label it as "sick" or "gross", as I know some women who swear by it.

Actually science hasn't been able to prove everything out there to date, but I think its interesting to hear others views and then make an informed decision based on that.

I agree with you though, and thats often been my argument, that men have different biology.
lilredhead
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:34 am      Reply with quote
zverenok wrote:
I think it's just sick and totally gross.

Laughing I won't go that far but I must say that it's unusual!! Inky, do you find that this technique has made you more susceptible to cold sores? I have that book as well and my take is that Ms. Perry was just using this example to illustrate the benefits of exfoliation. There was never any mention of cutting oneself. You'll find that a nice sugar scrub works wonderfully for this as well. But, hey, if it's working for you...
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:57 am      Reply with quote
On the one hand i appreciate that you have found something that works for you..even though it is a bit unusual....

on the other hand..even though it's been effective up to now for you...and your skin has responded well by the methods/creams you use to heal any 'wounding' that may occur ....it well may be 'one of those(unusual) things' that work well for you..but may not for someone else...who may be scarred by the procedure.

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:33 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah, I've been shaving my face for 18 or so years Shock NOT for hair removal (and wouldn't do it if I had hair on my face) but for exfoliation benefits. I personally think its a best kept beauty secret but still too shocking and taboo to be out "in the open." Unfortunately it has not kept upper lip lines from forming! That I can thank for my 10 years (past) as a smoker.

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:46 pm      Reply with quote
mountaingirl wrote:
Yeah, I've been shaving my face for 18 or so years Shock NOT for hair removal (and wouldn't do it if I had hair on my face) but for exfoliation benefits

Note: InkyProse is neither shaving her face for hair removal nor for exfoliation - she is actually shaving off the skin on her upper lip for wrinkle removal.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:54 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
mountaingirl wrote:
Yeah, I've been shaving my face for 18 or so years Shock NOT for hair removal (and wouldn't do it if I had hair on my face) but for exfoliation benefits

Note: InkyProse is neither shaving her face for hair removal nor for exfoliation - she is actually shaving off the skin on her upper lip for wrinkle removal.

aye yi yi!--that sounds over the edge!!

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:08 am      Reply with quote
Agree with the poster above, thats going a little too far in my opinion and I'm not convinced its necessary but if its working for her, then I suppose she may not be alone?
Keliu wrote:
mountaingirl wrote:

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:39 am      Reply with quote
I have had a microdermabrasion treatment that used a blade to shave my face. I cringed at the treatment and couldn't wait for it to end. I never went back to that spa. This only removed dead cells it did NOT shave off skin. That seems extreme to me.
Mad It's amazing what some of us will do for looks!!
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:48 pm      Reply with quote
I don't get it. Why wouldn't you do it if you had hair on your face?

mountaingirl wrote:
Yeah, I've been shaving my face for 18 or so years Shock NOT for hair removal (and wouldn't do it if I had hair on my face) but for exfoliation benefits. I personally think its a best kept beauty secret but still too shocking and taboo to be out "in the open." Unfortunately it has not kept upper lip lines from forming! That I can thank for my 10 years (past) as a smoker.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:58 am      Reply with quote
^^Maybe she'd be worried the new hair would grow back thicker or darker. Which is a myth, it dosent.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:59 am      Reply with quote
I actually found when i lightly removed some hair from my upper lip once that the fine lines on top lip looked more noticeable Confused

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:43 am      Reply with quote
Carol,

You have to get some of the skin with it.

It would probably be a good idea to put vitamin E oil on it afterward too.

Inky.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:03 pm      Reply with quote
Inky,
I'm game, but how do you judge how deep to go?
I'm not the least bit squeamish - I've removed skin tags and flat moles myself. (Mind over matter & just get it done, I say.)

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:12 pm      Reply with quote
Before a facial a few years ago, the lady shaved my face with a straight razor. She called it Dermaplanning, and said it would help exfoliate my skin. My boyfriend asked that I never shave my face in front of him. Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:59 pm      Reply with quote
I dont think id go that far. Retin a seems to have pretty much erased fine lines anyway.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:01 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Fawnie,

It's kind of hard to explain-- I use a new, good quality razor and shave the upper lip just like a man would. I make sure I get about the top layer of skin off. Then I usually put on vit E Oil. If the line is deep and has been neglected for a while, I'll put on some vit. E wax that I have (Reviva for lips), and then put the liquid bandage on it so it doesn't split again. The liquid bandage burns on cuts, that is why I put the wax on first. If I get the split soon enough, I can wipe it off. I have one spot that I've neglected and can't seem to totally eliminate, but you can only see it if you look at it in a certain angle in the sun.

I've been reading the Dermaroller thread and it explains how purposefully damaging your skin causes collagen growth and other neato things to occur. I think I'm going to try to Dermaroll hat spot on my lip that can't be erased.

Rachel Perry said that she was convinced that men didn't get lines on their lips because they shave.

Be patient if you have deep lines. Just scratch the surface off, let it heal, and then scratch again. Sometimes you go too deep, but it heals and looks better afterwards.
InkyProse
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:05 pm      Reply with quote
Chrissie,

I actually saw a razor advertised the other day that was for exfoliation. They used it on the lady's face. I wouldn't do that. I got cocky and shaved part of my face and it accelerated the lines in that area! I would only do my upper lip. Maybe the skin is thicker on the upper lip or something, but it heals up just fine.

Inky.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:19 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |