Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

How many of u apply different types of sunscreen depending..
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:49 am      Reply with quote
...on that day's UV index?

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/uvreport/cabc0308

I'm in Vancouver & the above link said today's UV is at 1 which is low although it's sunny outside. So I'm wondering how many of u actually wear a lower SPF ss on the low UV days and save the higher SPF ss for the summer when the UV rate is higher? Embarassed
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:00 am      Reply with quote
Personally I use a high SPF every day because even if its cloudy or rainy there are still UVA rays, so I make sure I have a good sunscreen on at all times. I use SPF 60 even in the winter. Probably not necessary but i'd rather cover myself just in case. I think more important than SPF is the TYPE of sunscreen you choose. There are many bad sunscreen on the market but some good ones too. I would feel better using an SPF 20 with Mexoryl than using an SPF 60 with Avobenzone personally.
KBLang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:36 am      Reply with quote
I hadn't thought of the UV index, but I always consider the activity I'll be doing -- like if I'm just walking to and from work vs. working out. I took a quick look at the link, and it doesn't seem that the UV index differentiates between UVA and UVB, correct? So even if my "cancer risk" was lower, my "wrinkle risk" might not be...? Not knowing otherwise, I still wear sunscreen everyday, esp. on my face, neck and hands. Agree with amonavis that the kind of ss is also important

early 30s; combo skin: medium-fair pale with freckles, controlled breakouts. Love: argan and tamanu oil, Devita SS, NCN rhassoul cleansing bar, pumpkin peel, DIY Vit C serum. Getting into more DIY... Fan of natural/organic products.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:54 am      Reply with quote
hhm KBLang, I guess u r right about the UV index not showing if it's UVA or UVB.

amonavis & KBLang, I guess what I meant is wear the reg. ss like Keys Soap or Devita on the day to day activities such as when u go to work or just out & above. Or in winter cuz the day is shorter. But save the heavy duty ss for a long day outside in the sun?
flyflyonly
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:33 am      Reply with quote
Actually, i use higher SPF ss all year long.
But first of all, these ss production should not be oil, to make sure my skin could breath very well.
Besides the oil, i do not think high SPF ss has any difference with low SPF ss. So, the more safe to my skin, the more better--i use high SPF ss all year long!
Not only do high SPF ss could protect your skin from sunshine, it would also extend the effect of ss.
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:07 am      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
...on that day's UV index?

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/uvreport/cabc0308

I'm in Vancouver & the above link said today's UV is at 1 which is low although it's sunny outside. So I'm wondering how many of u actually wear a lower SPF ss on the low UV days and save the higher SPF ss for the summer when the UV rate is higher? Embarassed
I'm on the island Stardusty and I always use spf 15 whether UV index is low or not. The sun's rays are always out there.
KBLang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:27 am      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
hhm KBLang, I guess u r right about the UV index not showing if it's UVA or UVB.

amonavis & KBLang, I guess what I meant is wear the reg. ss like Keys Soap or Devita on the day to day activities such as when u go to work or just out & above. Or in winter cuz the day is shorter. But save the heavy duty ss for a long day outside in the sun?

That's my feeling, Stardustdy: I wear Keys or Devita for daily activities year-round (they're both in the 30+ range, which I think is just about perfect). But then if I'm going to be out in the sun for a long time (especially if I'll be active), I use a more waterproof sunscreen with a min. of 30 and reapply more frequently. I still haven't found my ideal "workout" sunscreen. Because I want a physical sunscreen, right now they're all pretty thick in texture and leave a white cast (and I'm pale!) Any suggestions would be great, but maybe that's another thread...

early 30s; combo skin: medium-fair pale with freckles, controlled breakouts. Love: argan and tamanu oil, Devita SS, NCN rhassoul cleansing bar, pumpkin peel, DIY Vit C serum. Getting into more DIY... Fan of natural/organic products.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:23 am      Reply with quote
flyflyonly & SusieQ, yeah I guess good sun protection is needed all yr round. It's just that sometimes those good UVA blocker ss is usually water resistant and I don't feel comfortable putting it on everyday knowing that I won't be out in the sun much or even if I'm, just for awhile...

KBLang, I believe Keys Soap is probably SPF 50+ but can't be sure about Devita as it's not even officially labeled as SPF 30. Also, they removed the Rhatany Extract(natural sun protector) in the newer version so I'm even more wary of its effectiveness in sun protection. If u r looking for something with a high UVA/UVB protection & also water resistant, Avene has one. It's called Emulsion SPF 50... There's no white cast and it's like a lotion. It's very thin and not too greasy. The only drawback is the price & it contains Octinoxate. Because of that, I'll probably save it for those days that I'm out in the sun the entire day or summer. Smile
KBLang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:53 pm      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:

KBLang, I believe Keys Soap is probably SPF 50+ but can't be sure about Devita as it's not even officially labeled as SPF 30. Also, they removed the Rhatany Extract(natural sun protector) in the newer version so I'm even more wary of its effectiveness in sun protection. If u r looking for something with a high UVA/UVB protection & also water resistant, Avene has one. It's called Emulsion SPF 50... There's no white cast and it's like a lotion. It's very thin and not too greasy. The only drawback is the price & it contains Octinoxate. Because of that, I'll probably save it for those days that I'm out in the sun the entire day or summer. Smile

Stardustdy, Thanks for the Avene rec. Finding an OK (read: non-harmful) sweat-proof sunblock is just so darn hard these days... especially one that isn't horrendous to put on! I just went re-reading through some old threads from this past summer trying to find some info on the sunblocks, and now my eyes are swimming again.

Anyhow, I agree that Keys is probably a high SPF with their 18.5% zinc. In looking back, I figured out that I made my Devita 30 guess-timate because it is 14% zinc. Mychelle SUn Shield is 11.6% zinc with .67% titanium dizoxide, and they rate themselves 28 SPF. So that's where my estimate comes from... Even if Devita is a little lower than 30, I think it's still sufficient for everyday use...

KBLang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:22 pm      Reply with quote
Aaargh, but I just saw that Badger has 12.5% zinc and calls it an SPF 15!! For them 20.5% zinc is SPF 30! I know that an official SPF rating is really expensive (and maybe particle size comes into play), but this differential is nutty. Mad At least researching this now feels less imperative because it's so stormy and cold where I am (northeast US). I'm got months before I'll really *need* the sunblock. Cool

Yiying
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:37 pm      Reply with quote
I don't switch frequently. During summer,I use SPF35 or SPF40. During the other season, I use SPF15 or SpF 20.
leeleedeedee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:06 pm      Reply with quote
I live in Montreal and I check with The Weather Network every single day to get the UV Index. Then I apply sunscreen accordingly.

On a low UV day I wear a lower SPF sunscreen. Actually, with a UV index of 1 I wouldn't wear sunscreen at all if I was outside for less than 20 minutes.

I've heard very negative things lately regarding sunscreen and I now feel very uneasy about wearing it, like I'm not doing anything great for my face but could in fact be doing something harmful. There are too many conflicting reports. I don't know what the truth is and so it just makes me feel better to wear sunscreen as little as possible. I'm now taking supplements that supposedly protect the skin from harmful UV rays, like Pomegranate.

So, right now, the only time I wear a high SPF sunscreen is when I'm outside for a long period of time on a very sunny, summer day.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:41 pm      Reply with quote
KBLang, I guess the particle size does play a role in the SPF too. Also, silicone based ss has a higher SPF as it can spread the product better and evenly across the face. For some strange reason, the Devita Body Block has SPF 30 labeled on the bottle but not the one for the face. Confused

http://www.purebodysolutions.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Category_Code=De&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=DSCSBB

leeleedeedee, I understand what u mean. There's no one completely safe ss out there. If they're safe, it doesn't provide enough protection or vice versa... Sad
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:12 am      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
flyflyonly & SusieQ, yeah I guess good sun protection is needed all yr round. It's just that sometimes those good UVA blocker ss is usually water resistant and I don't feel comfortable putting it on everyday knowing that I won't be out in the sun much or even if I'm, just for awhile...

Star, I would re-consider not wearing on a daily basis. Its well documented that the sun's rays even on cloudy days can induce wrinkling. Using a sunscreen daily is your best anti aging product.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:45 am      Reply with quote
hhm ok SusieQ, I understand that UV rays can still penetrate even if you're indoors. So which ss u used daily then? Thanks! Smile
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:05 am      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
hhm ok SusieQ, I understand that UV rays can still penetrate even if you're indoors. So which ss u used daily then? Thanks! Smile
I use whatever has a DIN (drug identification number)on the bottle. This way I know it'll protect me and I'm within the guidelines of sun protection. At the moment I'm using Avon's Anew Advanced All in One Max self adjusting lotion. In the summer I like to use Paula's Choice Ultra Light Weightless finish sunscreen spray. (Her products do not have the designated DIN).
KBLang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:27 am      Reply with quote
Star,

It says 30 on both boxes of Devita (I have them both at home) -- body and face. The particle size is micro (not nano), and I think it provides sufficient coverage for a daily basis. At least it's what I'm going to stick with for now!

zverenok
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:57 pm      Reply with quote
I don't even wear spf when UV is low.

Did you see that other thread discussing adverse effects of spf on skin?

vitamins in low uv days should be just fine.

And if it's not for driving I prefer clothes protection - a wide hat, long sleeve shirts etc. And not staying out in most UV high hrs.

If I have to drive, I have a tube of SPF 30 with me that I use. Am not a fan of SPFs to be frank...
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:12 pm      Reply with quote
SusieQ, I seen many ss without the DIN... Even those well known ones like Avene & La Roche Posay are lacking that DIN...

KBLang, since u tried both Devita & Keys, which do u think is more effective against the sun? BTW, many used the Devita Body for the face too and liked it, have u try that yourself? Also, I noticed that Keys contains Carrot Seed Oil (contains Vit A), isn't that bad for use in the daytime as it's making our skin more sensitive to the sun? hhm...

zverenok, I don't know...I guess both vitamins & topical ss will benefit.
KBLang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:19 pm      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:

KBLang, since u tried both Devita & Keys, which do u think is more effective against the sun? BTW, many used the Devita Body for the face too and liked it, have u try that yourself? Also, I noticed that Keys contains Carrot Seed Oil (contains Vit A), isn't that bad for use in the daytime as it's making our skin more sensitive to the sun? hhm...

Star, I use Devita everyday Fall thru Spring, and for normal out and about, it works great. I don't tan and I haven't burned in ages, so one of my signs are my freckles, which have been kept to a minimum with the Devita. I know Nimue uses the body version for her face, and I think my hubbie and I (he uses Devita too) might also go that way now... Honestly, I was just so glad recently to have my skin calm down into a normal state that I was loathe to do anything different like switching the moisturizers. Though economically the body version is a much better deal... and I use that on the rest of my body.

I think the Keys is great too for protection, and I use it more in the summer because it's a bit "sturdier" in terms of texture -- I don't feel like it rubs off, and I worry about that in the summer when I'm really sweaty. I hadn't considered the carrot oil, but with the higher level of zinc, I would wager that you'd be okay. I'm more concerned about phototoxicity from essential oils like lemon oil, etc. I know Vit A makes you more sun sensitive, but my understanding is that is when it's in a pure, more concentrated form and because o the resulting exfoliation. In fact, this article from the Journal of Investigative Dermatology asserts that we have Vit A in our skin naturally, and that it can help protect us from the sun! http://www.nature.com/jid/journal/v121/n5/full/5602032a.html

SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:37 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="Stardustdy"]SusieQ, I seen many ss without the DIN... Even those well known ones like Avene & La Roche Posay are lacking that DIN... This is not good Star. Avene is from France and so is La Roche (I think!.) I wouldn't use them just to be on the safe side.
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:34 am      Reply with quote
zverenok wrote:
I don't even wear spf when UV is low.

Did you see that other thread discussing adverse effects of spf on skin?

vitamins in low uv days should be just fine.

And if it's not for driving I prefer clothes protection - a wide hat, long sleeve shirts etc. And not staying out in most UV high hrs.

If I have to drive, I have a tube of SPF 30 with me that I use. Am not a fan of SPFs to be frank...

I totally agree. That article has made me completely rethink my sunscreen strategy-- I used to wear SPF 100 because I'm too lazy to reapply during the day so I figured that should at least give me SPF 15 if it lasts me the whole day. Now I skip sunscreen and use vit C when it's not too sunny out. But I have to admit I'm a bit too lazy to check the UV index everyday, so I just judge by how much sun I see through my window in the mornings.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:18 pm      Reply with quote
hhm I just got the Keys Sunblock.... I tried the tester in the store and it is thick initially but it rubs in clear and not that greasy! Hope I don't break out from it!

So which article are u guys talking about? Do u have the link to it for me to see? Thanks! Smile
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:03 am      Reply with quote
Arrrghhhh sorry I searched high and low for the original thread but couldn't find it!! I'm just not a very good searcher Mad

Here's the article
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28796417/
phredd4
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:52 am      Reply with quote
I really don't wear sunscreen at all nowadays, even though I would walk 2 feet out of my door unless I had it on before. Priorities have changed and I really couldn't care less about sun damage. Just my take on things right now.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:14 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |