Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

This is all about packaging thread for natural skin care
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:28 pm      Reply with quote
I went to a local food store or they are called health store and I'm sort of put off with the plastic packaging on natural skin care products. If you take a look at some of Dr. H line, some of it is in plastic. I think Decleor is not packaged in plastic with their Aromessence line.

This all got started when I was looking to buy another jojoba oil or wheat germ or almond oil....there're all packaged in plastic! Wouldn't the quality and purity of these oils be best kept in glass? Does any Canadians know of a name brand that is sold in retail stores where they are packaged in glass?
havana8

Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:40 pm      Reply with quote
Off the top of my head, Stem Organics, Susanne aux Bains and Seaflora all use glass bottles. The floral waters from Primavera also came in glass bottles.

I prefer glass too.

ETA: actually, the body oil from Susanne was glass and the bath bliss was plastic
lin23
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
Why do you think that glass waste is better than plastic ???
Plastic is easy to recycle.
The reuse of glass is complex (due to hygiene, food and skin care safety, etc.). If you compare the weight : the same product in glass have more packaging weight, than the same in plastic. Plastic can be burnt and we can get back at least part of the energy (and use for heating, etc.), needed for it's processing.
Also there are lots of people (i.e. those with small kids) they don't want to have glass in their bathroom.
Plus some products need light protection, so you can't put them in glass. So don't generalize: plastic is not always the worst solution.
LuvToSmile
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:01 pm      Reply with quote
I know essential oils eat through plastic, so they should only be in glass.

I am not aware of other differences in freshness or quality between glass or plastic packaging, but that does not mean differences do not exist.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:56 pm      Reply with quote
lin23 wrote:
Why do you think that glass waste is better than plastic ???
Plastic is easy to recycle.
The reuse of glass is complex (due to hygiene, food and skin care safety, etc.). If you compare the weight : the same product in glass have more packaging weight, than the same in plastic. Plastic can be burnt and we can get back at least part of the energy (and use for heating, etc.), needed for it's processing.
Also there are lots of people (i.e. those with small kids) they don't want to have glass in their bathroom.
Plus some products need light protection, so you can't put them in glass. So don't generalize: plastic is not always the worst solution.

Hi lin23! Burning plastic is not healthy for the employees who work there; it pollutes the air and I've seen some wild animals swallow small pieces of plastic that been dumbed in parks or anywhere in public. They can't swallow or even attempt to swallow small pieces of glass.
My SO told me that you can't get rid of plastic and with glass, you can use it again.

Thanks Havana8, I am in the process of searching each brand on the net right now. Smile

Overall, I'm just concerned that purchasing jojoba or wheat germ oil contained in a plastic bottle with lights and sunlight heat up and it seems to soften the plastic container at the store, and I can't help but wonder if it does affect the oil that I would eventually put on my eyes or my skin.
havana8

Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:12 pm      Reply with quote
Saaf is another one that uses glass. It looks like Red Flower might also use glass although I can't say for sure. Oh, and doesn't Suki use glass for most of her line?
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:17 pm      Reply with quote
havana8 wrote:
Saaf is another one that uses glass. It looks like Red Flower might also use glass although I can't say for sure. Oh, and doesn't Suki use glass for most of her line?

You are right! But do they sell 100% jojoba and wheat germ or almond oil in glass?
KBLang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:23 pm      Reply with quote
havana8 wrote:

Just wanted to confirm that in my experience Suki does use glass mostly -- at least for the body oil and the lemon sugar scrub. Just looked at their website, and it seems everything is in glass; a quote:

"our glass packaging ensures a healthier planet. we are against the use of plastics & avoid this toxic material whenever possible; not only do plastic toxins leach into products & leach out essential vitamins & botanical content, it is toxic to get rid of, unfortunately, recycling programs are deeply flawed."

early 30s; combo skin: medium-fair pale with freckles, controlled breakouts. Love: argan and tamanu oil, Devita SS, NCN rhassoul cleansing bar, pumpkin peel, DIY Vit C serum. Getting into more DIY... Fan of natural/organic products.
havana8

Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:44 pm      Reply with quote
Skincare wrote:
havana8 wrote:

You are right! But do they sell 100% jojoba and wheat germ or almond oil in glass?

That I am not sure about.

I did see Primavera has straight Jojoba Oil. You could ring the store to confirm the container is glass.
http://www.saffronrouge.com/primavera/plant-base-oils/primavera-organic-jojoba-oil
harriet
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:45 pm      Reply with quote
I think many of the Jurlique products are in glass bottles. (and they are nice to look at too!)
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:11 pm      Reply with quote
harriet wrote:
I think many of the Jurlique products are in glass bottles. (and they are nice to look at too!)

Thank you for reminding me of that! I totally forgot. The packaging is really good and I used to buy one of their oils that I slathered on before I went swimming in a pool to protect my skin. It really worked!
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:37 am      Reply with quote
havana8, I really loved Saffron web-site. EDS sell some of those products, for example, Dr. H, Jurlique, ets, but this web-site provides better information on what would be good for you skin type. It also has this easy to read list of oils that would be appropriate for your skin type.
Thank you
Teabags
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:20 am      Reply with quote
From a different perspective, i prefer glass because it's so much better for DIY-ing. I find it easier to clean and also, then, i can pop glass jars, bottles etc into a low oven to sterilise them. I am never quite 100% sure i have sterilised plastic containers properly because you can only really do that by immersing them in boiling water and it never seems quite enough somehow. i also make my own jam, lemon curd etc using glass jars and it's great to be able to just throw them in the oven and know they'll be sterile

Also, i believe glass can be better for certain things (for instance essential oils) because you can have a dark coloured glass which shields the product inside from sun damage. Although, i know you can get double-walled plastic pots which may do the job just as well.

Don't worry what people think - they don't do it very often. 36 year old light brunette with oily/congested skin - but no wrinkles yet though! Tan quite easily and like natural organic stuff on my skin - even better if it's homemade - and i'm a firm believer that beauty comes from within.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:57 am      Reply with quote
When my old italian neighbors made homemade tomato sauce, they would boil their glass jars to kill any bacteria.
BTW, I love collection old glass jars and vase. They are so beautiful and unique.
sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:34 am      Reply with quote
I believe for many EOs or aromatherapy concoctions they only recommend glass (and dark one to protect from light), sort of the same way they sell good organic olive oil. Plastics are also not created equal, recycle number kind of reflects it's out-gassing properties. So, the drinking water is usually in the plastic containers, and some of them are good and some are not.

There are also plastic containers that do protect from light and do not outgass ( Violite containers, that block light between 450-720 nm). I get my supplements packaged in them, but I could not find where to buy them to store skin care in.

Just my 2 cents.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:58 pm      Reply with quote
I buy oils bulk from liberty natural products. They package in glass, but they have a $50 minimum so that's not for everyone.
wylone
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:34 am      Reply with quote
Oil can slowly dissolve plastic...I sitll prefer glass jars
Yiying
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:07 am      Reply with quote
Aesop's products are in glass bottles.
zverenok
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:37 am      Reply with quote
For those who wonder, glass is enviromentally friendly, and degrades waay faster and without the pollution that plastic creates. Plastic can survived for thousand of years, and is a pollutant - there are many reasons listed above - animals eat it, get strangled in it, it requires more sophisticated and expensive processing to recycle plastic, whereas glass is easy, is cleaner, is better for food and oil products etc etc.

Having said that, I never purchase my supplies from local health stores as theirs is so overpriced.
I buy from a reputable wholesaler and they do ship in plastic pales. I reuse those if I can, but I have purchase a set of glass bottles and jars that I use to store my supplies.
bciw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:02 am      Reply with quote
sometimes plastic is preferred over glass when ordering online for safety reasons; i.e risk of breakage, etc
zverenok
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:23 pm      Reply with quote
exactly. plus it's cost efficient for suppliers.
When I get my supplies - I store them in glass containers.

So the quality of the product doesn't depend on container - exception of course are essential oils - those have to be in glass containers.

sometimes for small quantity fixed oils I don't transfer them into glass, but keeping it in the fridge does the trick.
calorblind
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:27 pm      Reply with quote
darphin uses glass for everything too!
zverenok
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:35 pm      Reply with quote
and I am sure you pay the price!
lilybear
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:38 pm      Reply with quote
You have a good point! They say some plastics "seep" which is probably why the glass. I wonder if some kinds of plastics seep less? NaturDerm products, I know the Epidermx II, Chrysalyx and Naturdermx are in glass. EDS has these products, my favorite paraben free organic anti aging products!www.greatnewskin.com does, and they are very helpful, they ship to Canada.
bciw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:54 pm      Reply with quote
had you ever got sent a sample from eds or others in a glass container or vial?
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:54 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |