Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Internet scam alert--
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:41 am      Reply with quote
If you google just about any makeup or skincare product, the first hit is a "sponsored hit", meaning an ad, disguised as a blog by a consumer. The alleged "consumer," supposedly called "Heather" warns us that she tried X, the product you googled, and found it was nothing more than a so-so moisturizer. Then she tried Y, the advertised product, and it was a miracle!

Frankly, this scam is pretty clumsy, because the text is identical no matter what product you search for. And "Heather" is pretty clueless--for example, she slammed Lumiere Cosmetics as just a so-so moisturizer. Problem is, Lumiere is a mineral makeup company. They don't make moisturizers or any skincare, for that matter. Of course, "Heather" couldn't figure that out...

I didn't put the name of the scam product here because I didn't want casual readers to say, "Oh good! I will try it!" Rolling Eyes But if you've googled a product and "Heather" comes up with a supposed review, well, you've been warned...
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:06 pm      Reply with quote
Good post flitcraft!

Also, the "Automatic Delivery" function can be a problem. Once the company has your CC info they can continue to send you their products, and they make it difficult for you to stop payment. Many of the InfoMercials rope ppl into this.

5% products discount

Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:50 pm      Reply with quote
My daughter ordered a haha free haha trial off of a stop smoking program. Problem was the fine print was so fine she didnt read they would bill 2 installments haha which turned out to be 99 bucks each haha after like 7 days. Took longer than that for it to arrive. Turned out to be junk. haha free wasnt free haha
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:39 pm      Reply with quote
Flitcraft I have noticed this happening a lot when I've investigated several products the most recent being supplements.
ruk1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:02 pm      Reply with quote
Flitcraft, thanks for posting this. I found Heather's Blog just last night. I actually thought about giving the free samples a try, but thought it was rather fishy that if she was a consumer, why would there be a link to her blog on another web site? If I had a blog (I don't really know how to create one or exactly what it is supposed to do for you), I would not post a link on someone else's web site. So I was wondering myself if it was rather an ad to try to get someone to buy her products, or someone else's products she promotes.
ruk1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:03 pm      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
Good post flitcraft!

Also, the "Automatic Delivery" function can be a problem. Once the company has your CC info they can continue to send you their products, and they make it difficult for you to stop payment. Many of the InfoMercials rope ppl into this.

I suggest that if you have a prepaid visa card, you can use that so they do not have your * spam * card number.
littlecandy
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:10 pm      Reply with quote
Thank for sharing this information!
Be care to place any order!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:34 pm      Reply with quote
The "Heather" blog type stuff should be illegal.
jefftiew

Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:09 pm      Reply with quote
Thank for sharing this information! Very Happy
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:15 pm      Reply with quote
Sis, you are so right this should be illegal. It's fraud, really--representing something as being a consumer opinion which is really only a concocted advertisement.

If I were Attorney General, this would be on my list of no-nos. Well, maybe after going after the banks for exorbitant credit card fees! Laughing
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:56 am      Reply with quote
Good to know, flitcraft! Thanks!
deelighted
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:37 pm      Reply with quote
I have run into that site more times than I can count. I was trying to find a site where I could read real consumers' opinions on products, and I kept getting those same ads instead of genuine reviews.

Thank goodness I found this site, and now I never have to Google for reviews anymore!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:31 pm      Reply with quote
I found another ad link today that promised an elimination of wrinkles, and the lady claimed she used a combination of two products on her ad. The name was not Heather. I don't remember the name, and did not click on the link as I was afraid to, thinking it might even have a virus or some cookie tracker. So be careful out there. Now that I know these things are just scams, I won't click on the link ever again.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:29 pm      Reply with quote
How many people do you suppose are being duped by these ads? It is disgusting and they should booted off.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:05 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
How many people do you suppose are being duped by these ads? It is disgusting and they should booted off.

Unfortunately, that won't happen anytime soon, sigh. It's not's illegal, and the internet is very hard to police.

There is another one of these scams running that focuses on "Nicholle's" weight loss secrets to lose stomach fat. It actually populates the internet ad with your city, and acts like she is someone locally...they then try and get you to order 2 kinds of supplements or something.

The sad part is that they run these ads because they ARE successful....many people are desperate enough to actually buy the stuff!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:31 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
There is another one of these scams running that focuses on "Nicholle's" weight loss secrets to lose stomach fat. It actually populates the internet ad with your city, and acts like she is someone locally...they then try and get you to order 2 kinds of supplements or something.

I saw a similar ad (or maybe the same one) tonight. It was a picture of a woman with a huge stomach on the before picture, and then her stomach shrank significantly on the after picture. I did not click on the link even though it promised to show me this woman's secret, and it said this was as seen on some TV shows. I just noticed the words "ads by google" under the ad, so it is now clear that it's just an ad, and not someone's real life story. It must be very expensive to run these ads, and a normal person cannot afford to buy ads like that just to share her life story.
aarietta
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:45 am      Reply with quote
I've never heard about this until now... thanks for the heads up!
Jax
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:50 am      Reply with quote
About a year ago I read an article about the Federal Trade Commission (the govt agency responsible for policing deceptive advertising and trade practices) getting swamped with formal complaints about on-line companies. The fact is, consumer protection in cyberspace is just about non-existent because a lot of businesses only exist on a computer. It's a world of "Buyer Beware" when you buy a product or fork over your CC info to an unknown entity.
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:22 am      Reply with quote
Maybe some good news on this front, at least in the US: the Federal Trade Commission in the past administration did not have a high priority for consumer watchdog policies, but apparently the current administration is planning a more aggressive approach to fraudulent marketing ploys.

For now, though, it is up to consumers to be smart and careful about how much to trust information that we get online.

I have to say, I am reluctant now to name offending companies and products here on the EDS forum for fear that some forumites will simply see the name and think "Hey, I ought to try that!!" Particularly those for whom English is not their first language may not be able to tell the difference between a warning post and a recommendation post...
Jax
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:06 am      Reply with quote
Flit - I hope you're right about better consumer protection for on-line services and goods and I hope the FTC and FCC are working on a way to do this. It's a huge task because the Internet is like the old wild west, an open frontier with few rules. Laws that apply in the U.S. don't apply to foreign companies and they can make themselves look like an American company.
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:14 am      Reply with quote
Jax, your analogy to the Wild West is spot on! In theory, US law does have jurisdiction over foreign companies doing business in the US--for example, selling products to US consumers. The problem is getting to either execute on a judgment against a foreign company or getting injuctive relief enforced. There are international compacts on this, but as long as the offender can vanish and reappear under another guise, it's not practical to squash them.

There's been talk about derivative liability in these cases, which has certainly made ebay a lot more proactive in policing, but that's probably not a real solution.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:21 pm      Reply with quote
ruk1 wrote:
fawnie wrote:
Good post flitcraft!

I suggest that if you have a prepaid visa card, you can use that so they do not have your * spam * card number.

exactly. Or paypal plug-in. Altho I heard PayPal had their database compromised.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:02 pm      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:

exactly. Or paypal plug-in. Altho I heard PayPal had their database compromised.

I had an unauthorized charge to my bank account (via a one time Paypal Visa I ended up not using) as a result of the Paypal plug-in, and Paypal said that perhaps I needed to figure out what I bought from them Shock and would not refund my money.

I promptly uninstalled the system and refuse to EVER use it again.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:20 pm      Reply with quote
Fawnie, I have not heard of a paypal plug-in although I do have a small paypal account. I also have not heard about their database being compromised. Was that communicated to paypal members? If so, I did not get the email. It might have gone to my spam folder.
dsq
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:45 pm      Reply with quote
i've heard so many bad stories with paypal i refuse to use it. everyone complains about paypal because it sucks

Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:17 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |