Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Physical Sunscreen -any with good protection ratings?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:24 pm      Reply with quote
Do any physical sunscreens exist that have decent to high PPD ratings? Thanks
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:17 pm      Reply with quote
Bioderma mineral sunscreen has PPD of 20, I believe. But it's rather whitening because of the physical agents. You can purchase fromwww.tubotica.com.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:29 pm      Reply with quote
I just go by the % of the zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide, as opposed to any ratings which may or may not be accurate. What % of zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide are you looking for?

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:08 pm      Reply with quote
If you're still looking for PPD-rated ones, there's also SVR tinted sunscreen SPF50 with PPD20, available from tubotica website too. And Avene has a physical sunblock which is SPF50. Going by European Union conventions, that one should have a PPD of at least 16.
Mishey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:01 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
I just go by the % of the zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide, as opposed to any ratings which may or may not be accurate. What % of zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide are you looking for?

Yes I've read that you should go for one that has 20% zinc or combination of zinc and titanium. I don't know how high a PPD that would convert to.
Anyone have any idea?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:09 pm      Reply with quote
m1rox wrote:
If you're still looking for PPD-rated ones, there's also SVR tinted sunscreen SPF50 with PPD20, available from tubotica website too. And Avene has a physical sunblock which is SPF50. Going by European Union conventions, that one should have a PPD of at least 16.

Just wanted to say that I tried the SVR tinted sunscreen and it is horrible. Very thick, and the tint is dark. I am a medium to light olive, and this stuff was awful on my skin.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:27 pm      Reply with quote
Keys Solar RX has 18.5% zinc oxide.

Mishey wrote:
Nimue wrote:

Yes I've read that you should go for one that has 20% zinc or combination of zinc and titanium. I don't know how high a PPD that would convert to.
Anyone have any idea?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:08 am      Reply with quote
m1rox wrote:

Avene physical sunblock SPF50 is very thick and crazy whitening with a nasty pinkish tint Mad
very effective however.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:12 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
m1rox wrote:

Just wanted to say that I tried the SVR tinted sunscreen and it is horrible. Very thick, and the tint is dark. I am a medium to light olive, and this stuff was awful on my skin.

too bad Sad I wanted to try it, but my skin is light medium, I`m afraid it will be too dark.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:43 am      Reply with quote
Sorry, Aiva! At least I hope I saved you some money!
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:08 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Sorry, Aiva! At least I hope I saved you some money!

oh yes! thank you! Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:46 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
m1rox wrote:

same with me to use enough you face would look like you had a too dark heavy pancake foundation on
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:11 pm      Reply with quote
m1rox wrote:
Bioderma mineral sunscreen has PPD of 20, I believe. But it's rather whitening because of the physical agents. You can purchase fromwww.tubotica.com.

m1rox, do you have the Bioderma product name? I couldn't find the mineral sunscreen. Thanks
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:10 pm      Reply with quote
Bioderma SPF50 Photoderm Mineral Sun Fluid.

Do a search for Bioderma and it's on the very last page of the search results.

This Bioderma sunblock reportedly does have a white cast. You would have to wear it under make up. Its PPD is 22 which is pretty high for a physical sunblock.

Regarding the tinted sunblocks. I have and use the Avene mineral sunblock which is tinted. It would be much much lighter than the SVR one. It is light peach tinted. The colouring would be around MAC studiofix NW15 (peach-pink undertones). Just for reference of any fair and pink ladies who might be in that range of colour. I can "almost" use it as light make up, but I have to layer on a yellowish mineral powder foundation to completely match my skin tone.
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:37 pm      Reply with quote
Hi again, I am very confused by the various rating systems for sunscreens.

I was hoping an American brand existed...maybe my expectations were too high Sad

Thanks for the feedback however
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:03 pm      Reply with quote
American physical sunscreens do exist! I just gave you one!

American brands do exist, but they don't have the european ratings, but again, I just don't see how this is a big deal when the % of the zinc oxide is given. If anything, I am much more suspicious of companies that give ratings but do no disclose the %'s of the active ingredients.

Barefootgirl wrote:
Hi again, I am very confused by the various rating systems for sunscreens.

I was hoping an American brand existed...maybe my expectations were too high Sad

Thanks for the feedback however

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:05 pm      Reply with quote
Lol, thinking about it some more it looks like you want an *american* sunscreen that has a *european* rating. In that case, you do have a problem.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:39 pm      Reply with quote
The European companies are very reluctant to reveal the % of their ingredients. I emailed to RoC before and got a rather stroppy reply that they do not disclose the % of ingredients because it's proprietary information, something to that effect.
ruk1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:37 pm      Reply with quote
I thought the more % in the zinc or titanium oxide will give you more protection. I like the zinc oxide, and look for 10-20% zinc in the physical sunscreen.
ruk1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:38 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
Keys Solar RX has 18.5% zinc oxide.

Mishey wrote:
Nimue wrote:

Anyone have any idea?

Nimue, does this go on very white? Is it shiny?
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:25 am      Reply with quote
Ok, thanks for the additional replies and please accept my apologies for my ignorance in this area.

Obviously, I need more education.

Can someone let me know what percentages of ingredients I should be looking for and which ingredients work best?

Also, if there is somewhere that I can better educate on myself on the topic, that would be great.

Thanks again
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:37 am      Reply with quote
This person has compiled a long list of mineral sunscreens. You have to join makeupalley as a member to view the notepad:
http://www.makeupalley.com/user/notepad/jmango

You can also read more about sunscreens on:
http://makeupalley.com/user/notepad/sunscreenfaq
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:44 am      Reply with quote
mlrox, is the Bioderma SPF50 Photoderm Mineral Sun Fluid a thick cream or like a lotion? White cast? Hard to spread? Thanks!
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:44 pm      Reply with quote
Oh that's totally ok. Sorry if it came off as me laughing at you. I suggest that you look for a sunscreen with a high % of zinc oxide. For daily incidental sun exposure, look for a sunscreen with at least ~10% zinc oxide. For summer time sun exposure, look for a sunscreen with ~15% zinc oxide or greater.

The Keys sunscreen- I have not tried it myself (yet) but the EDS members that have tried it did not report shinyness or a white cast. I'll probably try it soon though- it feels silly recommending a product that I haven't tried myself yet. I'm currently using Devita (14% zinc oxide).

Barefootgirl wrote:
Ok, thanks for the additional replies and please accept my apologies for my ignorance in this area.

Obviously, I need more education.

Can someone let me know what percentages of ingredients I should be looking for and which ingredients work best?

Also, if there is somewhere that I can better educate on myself on the topic, that would be great.

Thanks again

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:44 pm      Reply with quote
Wow! That is quite a list!

m1rox wrote:
This person has compiled a long list of mineral sunscreens. You have to join makeupalley as a member to view the notepad:
http://www.makeupalley.com/user/notepad/jmango

You can also read more about sunscreens on:
http://makeupalley.com/user/notepad/sunscreenfaq

Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:30 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |