Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Got Cat Litter?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:34 pm      Reply with quote
I have always used the $25 Everclean Unscented Multi-Cat litter (often on sale for $17) that has worked like a charm, but decided to try a cheaper, more available version since PetCo is always out of the stuff. Rolling Eyes I have 4 cat boxes, so I also decided that a $$$ cut back was in order too, lol.

I decided to go with Tidy Cat because it is always stocked at my grocery store and is only $7. Shock However, there seemed to be a number of versions of Tidy Cat scoopables that ALL focused on Order Control...I mean, how many versions can you REALLY market? Confused Shock Confused
- Small Spaces
- 24/7 Performance
- Instant Action
- Power Blend
- Breathe Easy

So I went over to the Tidy Cat website HOPING that they would rank them so I could pick the strongest/best one. And I got really excited when I saw the "Litter Selecter"....woo hoo! It was calling my name! Very Happy

I pulled up the "Litter Selector" with glee....I was expecting some pretty basic questions, because we are JUST talking about stinky poop and pee, after all. But instead of selecting my dream litter, I ended up writing this email to Mr. Tidy Cat:

Quote:
Hi,

I have recently switched from Everclean Multi-Cat Unscented (after 10+ happy years) and am floored by the number of litters that you offer. (though they are FAR more affordable!)

I tried your litter selector, but the first 2 touchy feely questions just blew it for me (I had no idea litter could make me feel safe or offer a safe haven...do you have any versions with hurricane insurance?)

Could you possibly just tell me which of these many formulas is best for a 4 cat household, with a need for STRONG odor control, limited scent, and is changed completely every 2 weeks.

THANK YOU!!!

Beth

Their reply:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting Nestlé Purina PetCare Company.

We appreciate your interest in our products. We would recommend our Purina(r) Tidy Cats brand Cat Litter Premium Scoop For Multiple Cats - Power Blend. The fragrance in this product is Herbal Pine. The outstanding odor control of Power Blend meets the freshness demands of your busy home. Its extreme power comes from a blend of super-absorbent moisture-controlling crystals and strong-clumping clay granules. Put this unique blend of litter to work for your multiple cat home and experience truly powerful odor control!

Because we value you as a loyal consumer we are mailing coupons for use toward future purchases. Please allow 7-10 business days for delivery.

Again, thank you for visiting our web site.

Guess what....they need to add ANOTHER version...Unscented! Laughing Laughing Laughing

I did think the coupons were a nice touch though. At least I can try the "Herbal Pine" scent at a discount, in hopes that it is not too smelly. (I have fragance allergies, sigh)

But if anyone else was wondering which version was the strongest (instead of which version can keep up with you Confused ), well now you know! Very Happy

http://www.tidycats.com/LitterSelector/

5% products discount

Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:57 pm      Reply with quote
hi bethany!

i use world's best cat litter

http://www.worldsbestcatlitter.com/Products/WBCL/default.aspx

it's made from corn husks and it's all natural. i tried the silica crystals and my cats didn't like them. i have 2 cats who share 2 boxes and my female cat started going in random places around my bedroom while we were using the crystal litter. once i switched to this stuff, she started using the box again and we haven't had problems since. i've also read that silica crystals aren't safe if the cats "taste" their litter so you might want to watch them the first time you change it.

i've also noticed that even though it's unscented, it actually tends to cover the smell better than many i've used that are heavily scented with chemicals.

i usually pay about $30 for a 35lb bag which lasts me a while, but then again i'm using half as many boxes as you are.

if the tidy cat doesn't work out for you then you might want to try this if it happens to be cheaper than your previous brand.

good luck! i know i'd rather be spending my extra pennies on cat toys that make my kitties happy as opposed to litter! =0)

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:58 pm      Reply with quote
Rockalilly, I will definitely check that out...thanks for the recommendation!

Speaking of cat toys, if your cats are sensitive to catnip you should check out these catnip pellets...they are VERY strong, far less messy than the dried stuff, and last forever. You can put them in the cat toys with the velcro openings, or even knotted in a sock.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3261+11239+1360&pcatid=1360

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:57 pm      Reply with quote
FOUR CAT BOXES???????

I hate to say it, but The World's Best Cat Litter didn't work as well as Tidy Cat for me, or else Big George is Extra-Stinky (probably this).

I was really bummed when they d/c'd Citrimax litter. It was made from dried citrus peels and it worked 100% to deodorize, plus it dried everything up so well that, with daily scooping, I only had to do a complete change probably every 3-4 weeks. Ick, I know, but it was THAT GOOD!!!! It didn't track either, since the dried citrus peel pieces were rather large. I've written about it everywhere, but no one carries it. Too much demand for citrus peels, I'm sure. So it's back to old Tidy Cat for me.....George hates me for it.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:07 am      Reply with quote
We have 7 indoor cats. I got so tired of all the litter/cat box crap that I bought the Cat Genie cat box and it has made being a cat mommy a dream. I love love love love LOVE that kitty box and can't recommend it enough!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:02 am      Reply with quote
I have had 2 Litter Maids in the past and wasn't impressed, so I never really considered the Cat Genie. But a friend of mine really likes it too.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:06 am      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
FOUR CAT BOXES???????
I was really bummed when they d/c'd Citrimax litter. It was made from dried citrus peels and it worked 100% to deodorize, plus it dried everything up so well that, with daily scooping, I only had to do a complete change probably every 3-4 weeks.

Actually, you are supposed to have 1 more than you have cats, so I should technically have 5 litter boxes (and did at 1 point). Shock

If I scooped every couple of hours, I could get by with 2 maybe. 4 cats produce a TON of output (especially my diabetic one), sigh.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:08 pm      Reply with quote
I had a Litter Maid too and I HATED it. I was an awful contraption--so disgusting.

The Cat Genie is worlds away, totally different in every way possible. It's literally no hands on. Just like a strange alien-looking contraption that acts as a real person toilet for your kitties. Just wisks the nasties away in the drain lines! I would buy it 100x over.

Plus, it has a ridiculously good warranty and the customer service is great. And if you hate it you can return it.

5% products discount

Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:29 pm      Reply with quote
I've had really good luck with the World's Best covering most of the smells... occasionally one of them will stink it up but for the most part I've been impressed. My real issue is cat pee; with the crystals after about 2 days it would start smelling really strong and I'd get headaches from it. I haven't had problems like that with this stuff. Since my cat is picky, I'm grateful to have a litter she'll go in. I'd be considering the Citrimax though if they still made it, I prefer the natural products. I'd love to try the Cat Genie but my rental isn't set up in a way that would be possible.

Thanks for the cat nip recommendation Bethany! I'll be ordering some for them soon! My husbands favorite cat toy is the Panic Mouse 360. He could watch our female cat attack it all day and she goes crazy for it the second we pull it out. Unfortunately it scares our male cat.

http://www.panicmouseinc.com/shop/index.php?action=item&id=2&prevaction=category&previd=2&prevstart=0

We got ours at PetSmart but I think they carry them in most pet store chains. Your cats would probably enjoy it!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:38 pm      Reply with quote
Rockalilly wrote:
I've had really good luck with the World's Best covering most of the smells... occasionally one of them will stink it up but for the most part I've been impressed. My real issue is cat pee; with the crystals after about 2 days it would start smelling really strong and I'd get headaches from it. I haven't had problems like that with this stuff. Since my cat is picky, I'm grateful to have a litter she'll go in. I'd be considering the Citrimax though if they still made it, I prefer the natural products. I'd love to try the Cat Genie but my rental isn't set up in a way that would be possible.

You can hook the Cat Genie up to a toilet. We have ours hooked up to the washing machine lines, but I'd put it in the bathroom hooked up to the toilet if we had too.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:56 pm      Reply with quote
My cat didn't like the World's best litter, Swheat Scoop, Feline Pine etc.. basically anything that clumps. I tried to get those natural ones for him but he would made lots of mess or eat them and worst than that, he would step on his own poopoo Embarassed and made even more mess!!!My bf got really mad last time that he told me to get rid of my baby so now I'm using the crystal ones and so far, there hasn't been any problems *touch wood*.

The one I'm using called "Mimi's litter" and I got it from Walmart for only $2.99/bag which lasts me about 2 weeks.

So I wonder, do your cats make the same accident like mine? I mean he's 1 and a half yr old now and if I recall it correctly, he has done it about 6 times (mostly because he got diarrhea) . For me, I think it's an accident and the poor kitty probably doesn't want it to happen too since they are such a clean animal but for my bf, it's the worst thing ever! He would yell at me, at the cat and asked me to get rid of the cat or else, I should move out with the cat.

I now got one cat but I'd loved to have another one by the end of this year or perhaps next yr since I want my cat to have some friend =)
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:15 pm      Reply with quote
christine wrote:

So I wonder, do your cats make the same accident like mine? I mean he's 1 and a half yr old now and if I recall it correctly, he has done it about 6 times (mostly because he got diarrhea) . For me, I think it's an accident and the poor kitty probably doesn't want it to happen too since they are such a clean animal but for my bf, it's the worst thing ever! He would yell at me, at the cat and asked me to get rid of the cat or else, I should move out with the cat.

Cats are VERY particular about being clean, and do NOT step in anything in their litter box unless it was by mistake. That is also a sign that perhaps the litter box is not being cleaned frequently enough, and they did not have room to step onto a clean spot. And if the cat has diarreah...that is a problem in its own right.

I would get rid of the boyfriend....soon. He does not sound like a very nice person.

^.^

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:49 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:

I would get rid of the boyfriend....soon. He does not sound like a very nice person.

^.^

I was thinking the exact same thing. I'd get rid of my husband in a heartbeat if he had the audacity to tell me to get rid of one of my pets.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:12 am      Reply with quote
P Girl wrote:
bethany wrote:

^.^

I was thinking the exact same thing. I'd get rid of my husband in a heartbeat if he had the audacity to tell me to get rid of one of my pets.

Yep...the way people treat pets and their parents says a LOT about them as a person.

5% products discount

Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:34 am      Reply with quote
P Girl, I had looked into the Cat Genie awhile ago and it did seem tempting. My problem is that my toilet has walls on each side and less than one foot of clearance (it's almost claustrophobic). I would need a hose that went maybe 6 feet so the cat box wouldn't block the toilet or my shower door. Do you think the hose would stretch? It would be a dream to have a device that cleaned the cat box for me!

Christine, I'm sorry but I have to agree with P Girl and Bethany! There's no reason to yell at you over a thing like that. I love the idea of cats having companions. I couldn't imagine my cats not having each other, they have a special relationship and I love watching them play and groom each other.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:04 am      Reply with quote
Rockalilly,

I went and checked out our Cat Genie and the hoses (there are 2--one for incoming water and one for outgoing) are probably over 6 feet long. They are definitely longer than I am tall (5' 5"), but I couldn't find a tape measure to see their exact lengths. You could contact Cat Genie customer service and ask them specifically how long the hoses are. They've been awesome to deal with so I'm sure they'll have those measurements. And if they aren't long enough I'll bet they have a solution. Smile

And yes--it's like a dream come true. I would marry that cat box if I could. LOL

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:12 am      Reply with quote
P Girl wrote:
And yes--it's like a dream come true. I would marry that cat box if I could. LOL

P, how often do you have to "flush" it?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:10 pm      Reply with quote
P Girl wrote:
bethany wrote:

^.^

3rd that suggestion! You can tell a lot about a man by the way he treats your pets! I wouldn't hesitate for a second to leave my HH if he mistreated mine. No kidding.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:58 pm      Reply with quote
Bethany,

Let's see...it really depends on the number of cats and their "schedule"...LOL...Right now we just have two of our cats here and the rest are visiting my parents and I flush the box probably twice a day. When we had everyone here I was flushing it a LOT...at least 4-7x a day (you can set it to automatic but I don't). Now, they do suggest that if you have something like 4+ cats, you need two cat genies, but one has worked fine for us. But, I will say that when we move away from Wyoming (horrible place!) we'll be buying a 2nd cat genie so I won't have to be "as" on top of flushing it manually.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:20 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks P Girl...I may have to check that out after all!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:08 pm      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
P Girl wrote:
bethany wrote:

^.^

3rd that suggestion! You can tell a lot about a man by the way he treats your pets! I wouldn't hesitate for a second to leave my HH if he mistreated mine. No kidding.

Thank you thank you thank you so much fawnie, P Girl, bethany, and Rockalilly !! You guys made me feel so much better about this issue seriously Very Happy My kitty is one of the cleanest cat ever actually. Every time I take him to the vet, everyone would say his fur is the softest. He had lots of diarrhea during his first yr because I couldn't find the right food for him.

Rockalilly, I really really wanna get him a companion but now I'm in school but just for 2 more months before I grad yay!! so I'm planning after I find a job and have saved up some money, I'll definitely get another one.

By the way, how many cats do you guys have? I know somebody who has 10 cats at home!

Here's his photos http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=7316&id=512432833&l=285e3 Embarassed
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:16 pm      Reply with quote
christine wrote:
By the way, how many cats do you guys have? I know somebody who has 10 cats at home!

Here's his photos http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=7316&id=512432833&l=285e3 Embarassed

Oh my...isn't he adorable!! He looks like he is full of spunk, lol.

I have 4 at home...

Cashmere, Marmalade, and Lily....

And Paris...

5% products discount

Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:59 pm      Reply with quote
Christine, I wasn't able to view the link. Sad

Bethany, your cats are gorgeous! I think long haired cats look so cuddly!

Here are my two babies:
Pris is on the left and Spaz is on the right. They were sleeping together and I woke them up with the camera flash. They were pretty annoyed but I'm happy I caught the moment.

They're pretty much like our kids right now. We got them from a non-profit that rescues cats and I couldn't imagine my life without them!

Thanks for sharing your kitties with us! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:39 am      Reply with quote
bethany, thanks! yours are all so elegant and gorgeous!! I love their names too. They must give u a lot of jobs to do eh? because they are long haired. I'm not sure who is the one sitting on a chair but she looks so white and fluffy!

Rockalilly, yours are so adorable! Do they always sleep together like that? And is it because of the flash? Pris looks like he got green eyes =)

Here's my baby, took it yesterday while he was a bit mad at me

Image Laughing
Rockalilly
5% products discount

Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:30 am      Reply with quote
Christine, your kitty is adorable! I'm sorry but I simply don't understand how your BF can't love a cute face like that!

Thanks for the compliment! Both my cats have pretty green eyes but I think the flash kind of made Pris' look weird. They occasionally sleep together, it makes me so happy when I see how much they love each other. Pris is very affectionate and motherly. She's constantly grooming Spaz and she likes to clean the back of my DH's head when he sits on the couch.

Bethany, sorry for hijacking your cat litter thread! It's been a great little getaway from life's stresses though! Very Happy

Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:24 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |