Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Renova vs. Generic Brand
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
kdd2411
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:29 am      Reply with quote
My doctor prescribed me Renova, but my insurance does not cover it and the price is close to $250. I was wondering will a generic brand give me the same results? If I don't have to spend that much I'd prefer not to.
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:46 am      Reply with quote
I think you will find som useful information in this thread:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=29561&highlight=generic+retina

Apparently, the biggest difference is the delivery system. Renova, Retin-A etc have more emollients and a more advanced delivery system to push the active ingredients into the skin than the generic creams.

However, most people who are using the generic brands seem to be happy with them.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:24 pm      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:
I think you will find som useful information in this thread:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=29561&highlight=generic+retina

Apparently, the biggest difference is the delivery system. Renova, Retin-A etc have more emollients and a more advanced delivery system to push the active ingredients into the skin than the generic creams.

However, most people who are using the generic brands seem to be happy with them.

Thanks for the info! I think I will order Retin-A from the same place you did. How has it been working for you?
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:31 pm      Reply with quote
Unfortunately, the generic tretinoin cream 0.25 % did not work well for me. Two months after I started using it, I started losing my hair and eyebrow hair. I have written about my experience here:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=31107

Still, I don't think that should scare you from trying it. I believe that hair loss is a rare side effect from the use of tretinoin (people should be aware of it though!!), and I believe hair loss can be caused both by the brand names Retin-A, Tazorac etc and the generic brands.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:33 pm      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:
Unfortunately, the generic tretinoin cream 0.25 % did not work well for me. Two months after I started using it, I started losing my hair and eyebrow hair. I have written about my experience here:

Still, I don't think that should scare you from trying it. I believe that hair loss is a rare side effect from the use of tretinoin (people should be aware of it though!!), and I believe hair loss can be caused both by the brand names Retin-A, Tazorac etc and the generic brands.

Oh my, I am so sorry to hear that! Is everything back to normal now?
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:26 pm      Reply with quote
kdd2411 wrote:
Septembergirl wrote:

Hi, kdd.
Thank you. The hair on my scalp went back to normal a couple of months after I stopped using tretinoin. My eyebrows are still shedding even though it's now five months since I stopped. This kind of hair loss is very persistent.

Thank you for your suggestion on my hair loss thread anyway. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:28 pm      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:
kdd2411 wrote:
Septembergirl wrote:

Hi, kdd.
Thank you. The hair on my scalp went back to normal a couple of months after I stopped using tretinoin. My eyebrows are still shedding even though it's now five months since I stopped. This kind of hair loss is very persistent.

I am glad your has has grown back. I guess your eyebrows need a bit more time. This really makes me think twice or to at least be cautious of what I put on my face. I am glad to hear you are doing better.
keli13
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:14 pm      Reply with quote
I use generic Renova from medsmex and have for 6 years. I have used it side by side with the prescription Renova from my derm and other than the texture of the generic being easier to spread, I found no difference in the efficacy of the product.
kdd2411
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:52 pm      Reply with quote
keli13 wrote:
I use generic Renova from medsmex and have for 6 years. I have used it side by side with the prescription Renova from my derm and other than the texture of the generic being easier to spread, I found no difference in the efficacy of the product.

Thanks! Do you know how much shipping is to the US?
keli13
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:26 am      Reply with quote
Yes shipping from medsmex.com is $10.00 standard shipping which takes 2 to 3 weeks to arrive or $24.00 express shipping which takes about 1 week to arrive. I usually always use the $10.00 shipping and just make sure to order a month ahead of time before I run out of my Renova. When I order I usually order 2 to 3 tubes at a time but my very first order I only ordered one tube to make sure I liked the product. I've now been buying the Renova 0.05% from them for 6 years. Right now they only take American Express, Electronic Check or snail mail check and money order. I know the owner Debbie and she says they will be accepting Visa and Mastercard again very soon. I usually order by electronic check but do whatever makes you feel safe. I've never had an issue with them in all my 6 years of buying from them.
kdd2411
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:29 pm      Reply with quote
keli13 wrote:
Yes shipping from medsmex.com is $10.00 standard shipping which takes 2 to 3 weeks to arrive or $24.00 express shipping which takes about 1 week to arrive. I usually always use the $10.00 shipping and just make sure to order a month ahead of time before I run out of my Renova. When I order I usually order 2 to 3 tubes at a time but my very first order I only ordered one tube to make sure I liked the product. I've now been buying the Renova 0.05% from them for 6 years. Right now they only take American Express, Electronic Check or snail mail check and money order. I know the owner Debbie and she says they will be accepting Visa and Mastercard again very soon. I usually order by electronic check but do whatever makes you feel safe. I've never had an issue with them in all my 6 years of buying from them.

Thanks a lot for the information. I will probably end up ordering from them.
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:18 pm      Reply with quote
kdd2411 wrote:
keli13 wrote:

Just be aware that a lot of people here (myself included) experienced a credit card fraud after having placed an order with Medsmex. You can read about it in this thread:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=27944&start=50

The link above is from last year. I have no idea whether this problem is solved now, but personally I would not take the risk so long as there are other online pharmacies that are more safe to order from.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:49 pm      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:
kdd2411 wrote:
keli13 wrote:

Just be aware that a lot of people here (myself included) experienced a credit card fraud after having placed an order with Medsmex. You can read about it in this thread:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=27944&start=50

The link above is from last year. I have no idea whether this problem is solved now, but personally I would not take the risk so long as there are other online pharmacies that are more safe to order from.

Oh I had no idea! Thank you for telling me. The last thing I need is credit fraud Smile. I'll steer clear of this site if that is the case.
keli13
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
Medsmex doesn't take creditcards. Part of the reason I don't post about them much here is because of the rumore like this that people dealt with fraud a long time ago. I never did, and I know the owner. What many people don't realize is that there are more than three Medsmex pharmacies and many had issues with a certain one. The one I've been buying from for 6 years from is very reputable. You do whatever makes you feel safe but I can vouch for the real medsmex. You can't get Renova for under $12.00 a tube anywhere else unless your insurance pays for it. Believe who you want. If you change your mind PM me and I'll make sure you get the email address for the real Medmex.You can even call Debbie the owner and order over the phone directly from her. There was an issue about this yesterday on another board and I found out that these ladies were ordering from a diferent medsmex and that's where the problem was. The one I've been buying from for 6 years does not even take creditcards.
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:58 pm      Reply with quote
keli13 wrote:
Medsmex doesn't take creditcards. Part of the reason I don't post about them much here is because of the rumore like this that people dealt with fraud a long time ago. I never did, and I know the owner. What many people don't realize is that there are more than three Medsmex pharmacies and many had issues with a certain one. The one I've been buying from for 6 years from is very reputable. You do whatever makes you feel safe but I can vouch for the real medsmex. You can't get Renova for under $12.00 a tube anywhere else unless your insurance pays for it. Believe who you want. If you change your mind PM me and I'll make sure you get the email address for the real Medmex.You can even call Debbie the owner and order over the phone directly from her. There was an issue about this yesterday on another board and I found out that these ladies were ordering from a diferent medsmex and that's where the problem was. The one I've been buying from for 6 years does not even take creditcards.

Hi, keli13.
In your post above you recommendedwww.medsmex.com. That is the pharmacy that several people had problems with in 2007 and 2008. If you believe it's just a rumour that people experienced frauds to their credit cards, please read the link I provided above. At least 10 people, including myself, posted about our experiences with medsmex on that thread.

I don't understand what you mean by saying that there are more than three medsmex pharmacies.Www.medsmex.com is one pharmacy as far as I am concerned... If you are talking about another website, please tell me (us).

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:01 pm      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:
keli13 wrote:

Hi, keli13.
In your post above you recommendedwww.medsmex.com. That is the pharmacy that several people had problems with in 2007 and 2008. If you believe it's just a rumour that people experienced frauds to their credit cards, please read the link I provided above. At least 10 people, including myself, posted about our experiences with medsmex on that thread.

I don't understand what you mean by saying that there are more than three medsmex pharmacies.Www.medsmex.com is one pharmacy as far as I am concerned... If you are talking about another website, please tell me (us).

Yes, please do explain, I am confused. I went to the website and they don't accept credit cards if it isn't American Express. They do accept money orders, which I think would be the safest way to pay.
keli13
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:07 am      Reply with quote
Yes the real Medsmex is:

http://medsmex.com/store/home.php

The other sites some other people have been having issues with that I found out about this weekend sre:

http://medsmex-online.com/index.html

http://www.medsmex-pharmacy.com/

http://mexmeds.com.mx/affiliate.php

I know all of you oldtime posters know which is the real one but some new posters are doing searches and running into these other sites. A few have had issues but I don't know with which site.

Debbie at Medsmex no longer takes Visa and Mastercard because of all of the problems with people posting online about fraud. I don't blame her. Like I said I've been buying from them for 6 years without an issue. I buy many products there not just my Renova. She doesn't understand why all these fraud claims came about. Maybe some computer wiz did hacked into their system a few years ago I don't know. She wanted to come on this forum to talk to all of you but I told her not to bother. It wouldn't make a difference to the people who are dead set on thinking Medsmex did this, and I'mnot saying something didn't happen, just never to me and a few others I know whoi never had a problem. Anyway, I've never had an issue and I do believe Debbie the owner. Maybe when her father ran it they had a bad employee, I don't know. They never defrauded me all these years. I now pay by electronic check and many of the ladies on the QVC Beauty Banter forum do to, along with some who pay by money order. It just takes a little longer to get. Medsmex is the only place to get Renova at an excellent price and I personally will continue to shop there and pay by electronic check. Most know if you want Retin-A there are lots of foriegn pharmacy options like alldaychemist and inhouse etc. I buy alot of my other meds from alldaychemist. I do love my Renova from medsmex and will continue to stand up for the company and buy from them.

Lets drop the subjet now shall we. People can make their own decisions. I will never post about this again.
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:07 am      Reply with quote
OK, obviouslywww.medsmex.com has now changed their payment system in order to solve the problems with credit card fraud. Nobody said that the owner of Medsmex was abusing their customers' credit cards. It might have been a dishonest employee. Anyway, as customers now can pay by electronic check or money order, it should be safer.

Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:33 pm      Reply with quote
Have any of you bought Renova from medsmex recently? I mean after Feb. 09 (last post). After reading the thread I've been a bit concerned
keli13
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:02 am      Reply with quote
I've ordered from Medsmex since Feb 09 and so have many other ladies from the QVC Beauty Banter forum. I've been buying from them using my credit card for 7 years now and never had an issue.

If credit card fraud is a big concern for you you can always order using a money order. Medsmex is taking creditcards again and you can also use their electronic one time check option or money order. Also Paypal will allow you to generate a one time use creditcard.

If you want to buy brand name Renova Medsmex is the only foriegn pharmacy that carries it. They don't carry the generic Renova only the brand name Renova. That's why I buy from them.

There have been many fraud rumors about Medsmex and I know it concerns the owner of Medsmex, Debbie, who I've gotten to know online over the years. Medsmex is based here in the USA in Oregon.

If you pay by money order your order will only take an extra week to arrive.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:15 am      Reply with quote
Thank you Keli!
spinney
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:32 pm      Reply with quote
I need to say , keli knows what she is talking about, hi keli, it is me maine gram, do not post on qvc any longer, any way, i used electronic check, no problem, it has beenclose to two months, i did worry though, hey keli, where are we going to get the newderm, clear, and blender, ageless apple is gone, i know you know also, i still read beauty banter. Surprised
WCSmurfette
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:12 am      Reply with quote
spinney wrote:
...it is me maine gram, do not post on qvc any longer.

I don't mean to intrude on this conversation but, Spinney, why have you stopped posting on the Q? I hope the Q did not block you or something. Smile
spinney
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:47 am      Reply with quote
Yes, i was blocked. NOT CAUSE I SAID ANYTHING, but other reasons.
keli13
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:13 am      Reply with quote
Spinney, I sent you a private message.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:47 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |