Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

I want to make this cleanser..please help?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Bermie2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:56 am      Reply with quote
Hi,

I just found this DIY recipe and have ordered the ingredients, this is my first DIY attempt!!

If I want to make 200mls of this cleanser how do I work out how much of each I need? It's probably a silly question but I have no idea how to work out the precentages? Can someone help please? How many mls would 5% e-wax be? and the rice bran oil?

30% Rice bran oil
5% e-wax
65% distilled water
1 tsp glycerin per 100mls of emulsion.

Thanks to notmenotyou for the recipes!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:16 am      Reply with quote
Bermie2 wrote:
Hi,

I just found this DIY recipe and have ordered the ingredients, this is my first DIY attempt!!

If I want to make 200mls of this cleanser how do I work out how much of each I need? It's probably a silly question but I have no idea how to work out the precentages? Can someone help please? How many mls would 5% e-wax be? and the rice bran oil?

30% Rice bran oil
5% e-wax
65% distilled water
1 tsp glycerin per 100mls of emulsion.

Thanks to notmenotyou for the recipes!!

I prefer to use the online calculators (hate the math) Shock

I posted these elsewhere but here are 4-

http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/Calculators/Batch_Size_Calculator.aspx

http://www.calculateme.com/Volume/Ounces/ToTablespoons.htm

http://www.onlineconversion.com/

http://www.bulkactives.com/recipe_creator.htm

HTH Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:45 am      Reply with quote
O.K. anybody feel free to correct my math! Embarassed
Doubling to 200 ml.

30%=60 ml.
5%=10 ml.
65%=130 ml.
2 tsp= aprox. 9.9 ml

Total= 209.90 ml. ?

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:02 am      Reply with quote
Thank you so much Darkmoon!

The only one I got was the 60ml for the oil! I feel hopeless, just seem to have a blank when trying to work it out and afraid I will end up wasting the ingredients!

I am very excited at trying my first DIY!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:19 am      Reply with quote
Bermie2 wrote:
Thank you so much Darkmoon!

The only one I got was the 60ml for the oil! I feel hopeless, just seem to have a blank when trying to work it out and afraid I will end up wasting the ingredients!

I am very excited at trying my first DIY!

LOL. Being American I have to think in terms of our money (only metric we use)! It seems so strange I know but tsp. ounces ect. is what my mind goes for. The easiest way I do it is think in increments of 10% and either multiply or divide, the tsp to ml I cheat and use a converter app I have on my iPhone.
Laughing

I hope it all works out for you! Have fun with it! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:23 am      Reply with quote
I don't understand the point of combining the oil and water together which, of course, necessitates the use of an emulsifier.

But given the fact that oil based cleansers washed off with water work like a charm - what's the point of combining oil with water?

Maybe, it makes it easier to wash off - DM, what do you think?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:30 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
I don't understand the point of combining the oil and water together which, of course, necessitates the use of an emulsifier.

But given the fact that oil based cleansers washed off with water work like a charm - what's the point of combining oil with water?

You know me I am straight oil all the way, I am guessing the e-wax might emulsify to some extent? I have never used it myself? Very Happy

ETA: Other than the water I can't see anything that would make it rinse easier?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:44 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:

You made me go look! Laughing

http://www.ingredientstodiefor.com/item.php?item_id=183

E-Wax NF / Emulsifying Wax

Emulsifying Wax is a preparation of higher fatty alcohols and represents an emulsifier of the self-bodying type. Emulsifying Wax produces thick, solid emulsions without the addition of stiffening waxes, even at concentrations as low as 5%, although 10% may provide superior stability. Emulsifying Wax emulsions show excellent stability in both acid and base media. Stable emulsions with a pH as low as 3 or as high as 13 can be produced. Emulsifying Wax is compatible with anionic, cationic and nonionic systems, making it a truly versatile product. Emulsifying Wax differs significantly from older type self-emulsifying waxes, in that its oil-inwater emulsifying properties are not derived from the presence of auxiliary anionic surfactants of the soap (sulfonated oil or sulfated fatty alcohol type) or from alkalies, gums, etc. Unlike some emulsifying waxes, Emulsifying Wax does not deteriorate on heating, experiencing only a slight alteration in color at temperatures up to 150-152°C for two hours. Under these severe conditions, it may lose 2-3% in weight with slight hardening of the wax.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:46 am      Reply with quote
I think the addition of an emulsifier makes it easier to wash off. I think many of the commercial oil cleansers contain an emulsifier.

But I'm with you, I think just plain old oil is just as good.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:50 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
I think the addition of an emulsifier makes it easier to wash off. I think many of the commercial oil cleansers contain an emulsifier.

But I'm with you, I think just plain old oil is just as good.

I absolutely agree, but some seem to feel it is too difficult to rinse off.
To be honest I was so busy double checking the math I really wasn't thinking about the why of adding the water and emulsifier. Embarassed Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:11 am      Reply with quote
Now you're making me doubt it Keliu!! My first DIY venture!

I just liked the look of it, I find oil just a little greasy? So thought this sounded like a nice alternative, more of a milky oil?

Do you guys just use straight oil? Which type?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:16 am      Reply with quote
Bermie2 wrote:
Now you're making me doubt it Keliu!! My first DIY venture!

I just liked the look of it, I find oil just a little greasy? So thought this sounded like a nice alternative, more of a milky oil?

Do you guys just use straight oil? Which type?

I don't think there is any harm making the recipe you have at all, plus it is a great way to get your feet wet in DIY.

I use a variety of oils mixed with castor oil, standard OCM.

I would say go for it on the recipe especially if you find straight oil a tad greasy! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:22 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the encouragement DM! I think this is going to end up quite a learning experience. I ordered the ingredients from New Zealand and the postage just cost me $28!!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:27 am      Reply with quote
Bermie - don't let me put you off! I'm sure it will be a great cleanser. As I said, many of the commercial oil cleansers contain an emulsifier, so it will probably be perfect.

I just use 50/50 Castor Oil and Olive Oil.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:30 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
Bermie - don't let me put you off! I'm sure it will be a great cleanser. As I said, many of the commercial oil cleansers contain an emulsifier, so it will probably be perfect.

I just use 50/50 Castor Oil and Olive Oil.

That is my main go to mix as well Keliu, 50/50 Olive Oil/Castor Oil.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:33 am      Reply with quote
Bermie2 wrote:
Thanks for the encouragement DM! I think this is going to end up quite a learning experience. I ordered the ingredients from New Zealand and the postage just cost me $28!!!

I think shipping costs are getting out of sight all over!

You will find it is a breeze to make I am sure, and you will have enough I hope to make a number of cleansers with?

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:55 am      Reply with quote
Thanks ladies..I will remember that 50/50 mix for the future.

Yep, I'm hoping I can get a couple of cleansers out of the ingredients!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:01 am      Reply with quote
Bermie2 wrote:
Thanks ladies..I will remember that 50/50 mix for the future.

Yep, I'm hoping I can get a couple of cleansers out of the ingredients!

Bermie.

If you do ever go for just a straight oil blend, having read your sig line, go easy on the Castor Oil! It can be very drying to some, I have super normal skin and I believe Keliu is not on the dry side either. Just start with 10% and see how it goes, then work up to what is comfortable for your skin! Very Happy

Mon May 06, 2024 9:40 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Phytomer Pionniere XMF Perfection Youth Cream (50 ml / 1.6 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |