Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Retin A = dandruff?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
littlelotus
5% products discount

Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:08 am      Reply with quote
I've started using Retin A micro 0.1% at night along with the Obagi C rx system and have started having dandruff issues. I know the retin a leaves my face flaky, didn't think it would affect my scalp. Anyone else have this problem? What can I do to help condition my head without making my hair greasy? TIA!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:35 pm      Reply with quote
littlelotus wrote:
I've started using Retin A micro 0.1% at night along with the Obagi C rx system and have started having dandruff issues. I know the retin a leaves my face flaky, didn't think it would affect my scalp. Anyone else have this problem? What can I do to help condition my head without making my hair greasy? TIA!!

Are you actually using the Retin A on your scalp?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:06 am      Reply with quote
Even though you only use Retin-A on your face, tretinoin gets absorbed into the bloodstream, and does affect the hair follicles on your scalp or other areas of your body. That may cause hair loss or/and dandruff with some (unlucky) people. I have experienced that myself, so I had to stop using Retin-A.

Approximately two months after I stopped using tretinoin, the hair on my scalp stopped shedding and the dandruff improved. The hair follicle problem is much more persistent in my eyebrows. Now, five months after I stopped using the cream, I still lose eyebrow hairs every day and have to comb my eyebrows through every morning to get rid of the dandruff that builds up. Veeery attractive!

I am not sure about the mechanism that causes hair loss and dandruff, but I believe it may have to do with tretinoin increasing cell turnover and getting rid of old skin cells prematurely.

I wish I knew any treatments to counteract the negative effects of Retin-A on hair follicles. If the dandruff gets too bad, I would have stopped using Retin-A.

HTH. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:58 am      Reply with quote
I have been using RetinA on and off for 2 yrs now and never even thought about that. My face is always peeling and flaking here and there, but I never thought that my scalp was being effected by it. I just started using a dandruff shampoo a few times a week. That has helped. Wash your hair every other day to avoid over-drying and it won't be greasy either. I only use the Retin-A 3-4 times a week too, so you can try that as well.
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:26 am      Reply with quote
Wow never heard of this. Good to know so I'll watch out for the problem.
littlelotus
5% products discount

Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:26 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies. No, I don't use it on my scalp, but like Septgirl, I think it sinks in and travels abit. I'm not loosing any hair, but the flakies on my scalp are driving me crazy. I don't think it's too bad, just alittle in the front. I do wash my hair every other day, but I think I'll also cut back on the Retin A to everyother night. I read somewhere on this forum about just using conditioner and doing without the shampoo on some days. Anyone tried that? I don't think my hair gets dirty, I don't use any styling products. Maybe I'll try that to see if it helps with the dryness. I'll let you know. Thanks!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 pm      Reply with quote
This is very interesting. I have for the past several months now noticed horrible flakes in my hair, on the side at the hairline. I could shampoo my hair, and the flakes would be there again the next morning. Since stopping Retin A for about 2 weeks now, the flakes that I had have stopped. This definitely could be a coincidence or could be due to the Retin A.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:07 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |