Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

BAD NEWS for Decleor/Darphin Essentiel Oil Fans!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
calorblind
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:29 am      Reply with quote
Essential oils can become allergens on contact with air and skin, says researcher
By Katie Bird, 05-Feb-2009

Related topics: Formulation & Science

Essential oils may become allergenic on contact with oxygen in the air and certain skin enzymes, according to recent research.

Formulators should be aware that certain aromatic oils are altered by environmental factors and can cause contact allergies in sensitive individuals, even if the oil itself is not an allergen in its pure form, said researcher Lina Hagvall from the University of Gothenburg, Sweden.

Hagvall looked at lavender oil and geraniol oil (the major component of rose oil) as part of her pHD thesis.

Lavender oil oxidises in air

Lavender oil reacts with the oxygen in the air forming hydroperoxides, which are strong allergens, according to Hagvall.

Although Hagvall did not investigate the behaviour of lavender oil when in contact with skin enzymes, she referenced previous studies indicating it did not form allergens under these circumstances.

In contrast, geraniol oil reacted with the skin enzymes as well as oxidising in contact with the air, forming the same allergenic compound in both cases - geranial.

Geranial is also an irritant, according to Hagvall. Although the reaction in sufferers can look the same, allergens cause an immune response whereas irritants damage the surface of the skin causing inflammation.

Preventing autoxidation

For Hagvall, these results suggest formulators should take steps to prevent autoxidation.

“I think that autoxidation should be considered by formulators and producers of essential oils…more work is needed to make sure these essential oils are used in a safer way, with regard to the development of contact allergies,” she said.

Obviously there are differences between lavender and geraniol oil. With lavender, formulators need only stop autoxidation whereas even if autoxidation could be prevented in the case of geraniol, geranial could still form on contact with the skin.

Having said that, Hagvall explained that the main risk for developing contact allergy to geraniol is through contact with air-exposed material as the concentrations of the allergens are higher. Therefore, preventing autoxidation is still important for geraniol, she said.

http://www.cosmeticsdesign-europe.com/Formulation-Science/Essential-oils-can-become-allergens-on-contact-with-air-and-skin-says-researcher
littlecandy
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:08 pm      Reply with quote
Oh my god.I am not a fan but prepared to be one....

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:27 am      Reply with quote
But i'm sure with all the years of research that they have invested in their oils, i guess that it wont turn out that way..
NOTCH
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:46 am      Reply with quote
This information is very factual. If you read back through many of my posts over the past months you can see that I've been talking about "inherently unstable oils" a lot. These oils are very prone to oxidation. The oxidation makes them break down into smaller chemical chain compounds such as ketones and aldehydes. These small chain compounds smell bad, and that is known as being "rancid". This information brings more to light, the fact that many people can be allergic to these smaller chain compounds as well. And remember, these unstable oils tend to break down quickly, so whatever the claim was that went with that product, you can throw it out the window when it breaks down under oxidation. It's just not the same material anymore.

There is one item that is somewhat incorrect in their information. There is no way for formulators to make an inherently unstable oil...stable. No amount of antioxidants of any type can stop an unstable oil from breaking down and become rancid. Countless research lab trials of oils of all types on an Oxidative Stability Index machine has proven this to be true. In some cases, adding antioxidants actually sped up the breakdown process! So, if you buy a product with unstable oils in it, and see things like "BHT", Vitamin E, and other "antioxidants" in the ingredients list, it's a mistaken attempt by the formulator to keep the unstable oils stable. It just won't work.

Instead, look for products with less than 5% polyunsaturated fatty acids in the formula. This would include such items as High Oleic Sunflower, Meadowfoam, Macadamia Oil and some others. And, Jojoba, which is a liquid wax ester, is also inherently stable.

Here is a brief list of typical cosmetic oils that are "inherently unstable" and will break down into small chain compounds to go rancid:

hemp, chia, kukui, flax, soybean, walnut, wheat germ, evening primrose, safflower, grape seed, corn oil, sesame, rice bran, almond, cocoa butter, cottonseed, palm oil, avocado... and others.

There is a very good article in Cosmetics and Toiletries Magazine, publication date 01-July-97 that does a very good job of describing oxidatively unstable oils.
Quote:
The ability of a product to resist oxidation is an important component of customer satisfaction; a stable formula will help ensure that the desired functionality and appearance of the product will not be significantly altered over time because of exposure to air. The product will remain fresh and deliver the selected fragrance, or lack thereof, when the consumer inevitably lifts the container for a sniff.

John

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:56 am      Reply with quote
That was very informative thank you. So what about Decleor or Darphin oils? What do you think of them?
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:00 pm      Reply with quote
What about Argan oil? Have you heard about this one? it is popular in Morocco and apparantly is very healing and calming.
summer2004
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:57 am      Reply with quote
OMG...I gonna buy Decleor Ylang Ylang. Sad
lilybelle
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:13 am      Reply with quote
haha, I never worry this kind of proble.
We should keep in mind that every product is potentially allergic. organic or natural products are not exception. when it comes to essential oil, you should be more careful cuz those products are concentrated. So I always suggest to start with 1-2 drops one time.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:50 am      Reply with quote
NOTCH wrote:

Here is a brief list of typical cosmetic oils that are "inherently unstable" and will break down into small chain compounds to go rancid:

hemp, chia, kukui, flax, soybean, walnut, wheat germ, evening primrose, safflower, grape seed, corn oil, sesame, rice bran, almond, cocoa butter, cottonseed, palm oil, avocado... and others.

John - what's the verdict on tamanu oil? My other favs (kukui & avocado) are on the hit list Sad

Also, does mixing/adding more stable oils like meadowfoam or macadamia (which I have and like) to the less stable ones improve the shelf life of the less stable oils? I'm thinking maybe 50/50 macadamia and kukui? Or 50/50 macadamia and avocado?
chorally
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:08 am      Reply with quote
Shock I like to use essential oils for body massege...I thought they are natural and good for skin...
Perhaps, switching back to olive oil is a good idea?!
Pixie Rose

Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:38 pm      Reply with quote
NOTCH wrote:

John, would you mind providing the original source of this list of unstable oils? After researching the stability or unstability of various oils on the internet, I have only gotten more and more frustrated due to conflicting information. For instance, I have read that sesame oil is an extremely stable oil. Here, however, it makes your list of unstable oils.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:06 am      Reply with quote
I sense another knee-jerk reaction happening here - everyone is going to become afraid of using oils. I really don't think this is warranted. As Lillybelle said any product at all can produce an allergic reaction. Also, any product can go off or get bacteria in it. That is the reason why it's often suggested not to put your fingers into face cream, rather to use a clean spatula.

I use a variety of oils and have never had an instance of them turning rancid. However, if this should happen - then simply chuck it out and purchase a fresh batch. Oils are so cheap when compared to many of the facial creams available. I would advise, however, to keep oils in tinted glass bottles away from heat and light.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:39 am      Reply with quote
I have used Decleor for years, never had an issue. Also my mother and she is allergic to everything and has severe reactions! That's why she loves their products so, the natural ingredients and smells cause no reaction. Go figure?
Although good info, it also won't prevent me from using them either. I think that if they had major issues, as many people use the products, you would hear more about it. The common sense comments were right, just use your own good judgement in storing and using and know your own skin.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:31 am      Reply with quote
some replies ive read

All essential oils have been exposed to oxygen. A adverse or "allergic" reaction to an essential oil would be dependent upon the body of person using it, not the exposure to oxygen.

Essential oils are not supposed to be used on skin, because they can easily cause allergic reaction. You need to delude them with water - a bunch of water and a few drops of the oil. I use them when i get flue or cold to do inhalations. and believe me the few first seconds my eyes sting like hell from that steam, it is very irritating. and i use expensive oils.
ashbob2
5% products discount

Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:13 am      Reply with quote
Decleor has over 900 scientists working for them and i dont think they would use ingredients which would cause any harm.

Decleor has been around for 35 years and im sure if their products caused many reactions they would not be as successful as they are today.

If you are worried about having a reaction ask your salon for a sample before purchase and rub some of the product either at the back of your ear or on the inside of your elbow where the skin is thinner to check for yourself.

I work with decleor and must have applied the products to over 50 people thus far and not one has had a reaction, not even people with allergies or extremely sensitive skin.

I am also an aromatherapist and as long as the oils are diluted to 2.5% in a carrier i have had no problems and must have given over 200 massages using a blend of 3 essential oils for each.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:36 am      Reply with quote
ashbob2. read this thread :
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=33553&highlight=decleor+darphin
Louisa1303
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:56 pm      Reply with quote
OH NO...i am thinking of getting one of their oil for massaging my face before the application of mask which i heard have better effects...Now i dont know if i should go ahead or not... Crying or Very sad
yajo
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:40 am      Reply with quote
I have been using Darphin for 15 years. At the beginning a lot of success with the Baume purifiant and the Niaouli oil. This solve all my skin problem.

BUT........know I have a very sensitive skin and as per dermatologist and esthetician, this is due to essential oil that have been using for a too long period.

Be very careful with this type of product.

I still love Darphin for the smelt but my skin can not support it any more
harriet
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:35 am      Reply with quote
yajo. What products are you using now if you can no longer use Darphin? thanks. Harriet
yajo
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:36 am      Reply with quote
harriet,

I use Valmont products. No essential oils or phyto extracts. This has a good effect on my redness.

But you have to put away very nice smelt Crying or Very sad
fifi12

Sun May 10, 2009 5:22 am      Reply with quote
OMG ! I use Darphin every day so I hope I will not become allergic... Embarassed
I'm interested too in Valmont products but they're a bit expensive for me ! Confused
yajo
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 10, 2009 6:00 am      Reply with quote
Yes fifi12 they are expensive. Crying or Very sad This is the type of products that you absolutely have to test before any bought.

For me it is now a love story
calorblind
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 10, 2009 6:28 am      Reply with quote
haha i really love darphin tooo! i am using their 8 flower nectar now, and i absolutely love it!

haha.

yajo, i saw some valmont products on ebay.fr with a good price!
fifi12

Sun May 10, 2009 7:45 am      Reply with quote
Hi Calorblind !
You're right, E-bay is a good idea Smile
calorblind
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 10, 2009 8:51 am      Reply with quote
i know, thank god for ebay.. lol
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:38 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |