Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Why does Vit C always make my skin look darker?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:29 pm      Reply with quote
Not talking tan here! It's the kind of dark color that makes your skin look unhappy or sick, just the opposite of bright and glowing skin. I tried a few Vit C serums, and all of them made my skin look that way. Does this happen to anyone else? Is there an ugly period with Vit C before you see the light at the end of the tunnel that I'm not aware of?
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:35 pm      Reply with quote
My skin is quite fair and I've never had any discoloration from using C serums.

I'm wondering if maybe you need to exfoliate?
calorblind
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:41 pm      Reply with quote
hehe first time ive heard of such things!
nibn
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:23 pm      Reply with quote
it's not absorbing ,and oxidizing on the surface try another formulation
ezduzit
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:33 pm      Reply with quote
Which is a good Vit C serum?? I've been tempted to try it for some dark spots on my face.

TIA
LULUKA
5% products discount

Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:32 pm      Reply with quote
Maybe you should use it in the night.
Mabsy

Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:28 am      Reply with quote
It sounds like it's oxidising. Vit C serums oxidise and get dark orange, so can make your skin darker as well. I've not had issues like this (and I am VERY fair) other than on my hands (just in the creases) if I don't wash them after applying the C serum. Try exfoliating on a regular basis and see if this helps.

5% products discount

Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:26 am      Reply with quote
this happens to me too and i think the reason stated by the rest is true! It actually oxidise and I have decided to use this only at night...
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:50 am      Reply with quote
But won't the vit C oxidize even at night?
Antonia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:12 pm      Reply with quote
Are you using it with anything else, such as a copper-containing product? I put both on my skin one night and woke up looking very brown.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:34 pm      Reply with quote
Bira, you did not say whether u use sunscreen or not. btw do you wear perfume? I read that this reacts with sun and as a result, freckles, or any other kind of pigment related issues may appear.
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:05 pm      Reply with quote
I think that the Vitamin C is causing a slight irritation to your skin which seems to make your skin look tanned or darker. This happened with me before. At first I thought my skin looked glowy but after a while I was concerned that my skin was irritated. Now I use skinceuticals 3 drops each morning and its better. Before I was using to much product, and a propylene glycol based C serum.
wylone
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:58 pm      Reply with quote
I think the residue of the VC product you used oxidized and turned yellow
Yiying
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:22 pm      Reply with quote
VC is easy to oxidize under sun and lets you look sick, so you need to use sunscreen.

It's better to use VC in the morning since it has strong antioxidant ability.
nickieygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:09 pm      Reply with quote
I don't know but I think it oxidize with air on your face when it does, your skin might be darker.
bciw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:40 pm      Reply with quote
acid + sun exposure = spots, uneven skin tone
myamax
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:46 am      Reply with quote
Hello!  I have had this happen to me - use a Vit C. serum and my skin was darker in patches.  In an email with the creator of 302 skincare, he stated that my skin condition was aggrivated by the acid forms of Vit. C (I have some post inflammatory hyperpigmentation, not sun induced pigment)  Therefore it may not be that the serum you are utilizing is oxidized or bad in any way, it is just that the form of Vit C. used is aggrivating your skin condition.  Try switching the brand(s) around and using something else and see what happens.The 302 Skincare company Vit C. is not an acid form, and it is a product that I can and do use on my face for the antioxidant properties. 
leileieve
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:36 am      Reply with quote
VC must be applied at nights, it will make your face darker if you use it before going out at the day time.
bciw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:22 am      Reply with quote
fat_swan wrote:
But won't the vit C oxidize even at night?

only when exposed to daylight, so apply sunblock on top of the vit.c
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:34 pm      Reply with quote
Mabsy wrote:
It sounds like it's oxidising. Vit C serums oxidise and get dark orange, so can make your skin darker as well. I've not had issues like this (and I am VERY fair) other than on my hands (just in the creases) if I don't wash them after applying the C serum. Try exfoliating on a regular basis and see if this helps.

But why does it oxidise? Does it have something to do with my skin having the wrong pH?
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:36 pm      Reply with quote
Antonia wrote:
Are you using it with anything else, such as a copper-containing product? I put both on my skin one night and woke up looking very brown.

No, I use Vit C after I cleanse my face, and then after that, I put some sunscreen on.
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:37 pm      Reply with quote
nickieygirl wrote:
I don't know but I think it oxidize with air on your face when it does, your skin might be darker.

Why only my face though? It doesn't sound like too many people have the same problem.
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:38 pm      Reply with quote
bciw wrote:
Bira, you did not say whether u use sunscreen or not. btw do you wear perfume? I read that this reacts with sun and as a result, freckles, or any other kind of pigment related issues may appear.

Yes, I use sunscreen after I apply Vit C. I waited 5 minutes before sunscreen. I do not use perfume.
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:39 pm      Reply with quote
amonavis wrote:
I think that the Vitamin C is causing a slight irritation to your skin which seems to make your skin look tanned or darker. This happened with me before. At first I thought my skin looked glowy but after a while I was concerned that my skin was irritated. Now I use skinceuticals 3 drops each morning and its better. Before I was using to much product, and a propylene glycol based C serum.

Is it skinceuticals c,e, + ferulic acid? This is the one I bought off of ebay. I wonder if it was old? I'm not sure how to tell if Vit C is no longer any good.
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:41 pm      Reply with quote
myamax wrote:
Hello!  I have had this happen to me - use a Vit C. serum and my skin was darker in patches.  In an email with the creator of 302 skincare, he stated that my skin condition was aggrivated by the acid forms of Vit. C (I have some post inflammatory hyperpigmentation, not sun induced pigment)  Therefore it may not be that the serum you are utilizing is oxidized or bad in any way, it is just that the form of Vit C. used is aggrivating your skin condition.  Try switching the brand(s) around and using something else and see what happens.The 302 Skincare company Vit C. is not an acid form, and it is a product that I can and do use on my face for the antioxidant properties. 

Thanks for the suggestion. How much is the 302 skincare vit c?
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:59 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |