Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

The Recession
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:19 pm      Reply with quote
I am feeling bothered right now as I type this. So far, I have not personally been affected, but my hard working, intelligent, well educated friends are being laid off. One by one, we are getting phone calls from our dear friends with the sad news.
My SO is safe with his job and is thriving more then ever. I'm not sure about myself, but there are some things that I have that make me more safe then other coworkers. But, it all depends if they want to eliminate the higher income staff and keep the lower wage income staff.

Anyway, I had to vent and type up my feelings. Have you or your friends been affected?
P Girl
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:58 am      Reply with quote
It's a very scary world out there right now.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:00 am      Reply with quote
Well, I was feeling down last night, because we just received another call from a friend who got the pink sheet.
I hope things get better by fall so they could at least enjoy their summer.
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:49 pm      Reply with quote
I am fortunate that I work at a company that is fairly recession-proof. My co-workers and I all seem to have a friend who has either been laid off or is about to get laid off. It's very depressing, and scary! Especially when even state governments are laying off teachers!

On the up side, a friend of mine just got hired today, after getting laid off about 2 months ago. And my son has a job interview tomorrow!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:05 pm      Reply with quote
As a former recruiter I would HIGHLY recommend a few things.

Get your resume cleaned up NOW... don't wait until you must have it. Brush up on industry appropriate topics/skills, computer programs etc. Make yourself marketable if necessary!

Get some interview clothing lined up if you don't already have it handy. It will stink big time if you have to buy on a SERIOUSLY tight budget... clothes that can go with a few outfits...

Keep an eye open for new jobs... craigs list is huge where I am... find out the best places to look for jobs... keep up your networking...people tend to look out for those they "know" and will call you with a lead...

Watch for the writing on the wall... it's always easier to find a new job when you're working.. than when you're laid off...

Should you get laid off.. your 40/hr week job is LOOKING for new work...

In the mean time.. try not to take on unnecessary debt, make sure you paying the lowest for any necessities... cable, phone, internet, water, pg&E.

Can you slow down your gas intake in your car (organize your errands so you're not driving all over the place more than once a week.)

Think up cheaper ways to have FUN! A potluck with friends is just as fun and MUCH cheaper than going out! Throw a wine tasting party... everyone bring a wine under $10 and a platter of cheese and crackers or something like that...

It's scary out there... My husband just watched 5 major players at his job get laid off yesterday. One already has a new job offer.. but SCARY! We've got our fingers crossed!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:15 pm      Reply with quote
nadjazz wrote:
I am fortunate that I work at a company that is fairly recession-proof. My co-workers and I all seem to have a friend who has either been laid off or is about to get laid off. It's very depressing, and scary! Especially when even state governments are laying off teachers!

On the up side, a friend of mine just got hired today, after getting laid off about 2 months ago. And my son has a job interview tomorrow!

I just found out that I am the only one who is recession proof in my department, with exception of my manager! I feel guilty going to work with expensive designer clothes, shoes and handbags and you see other people not dressed as polished, and you can see that they are carrying their resume with them. I just feel guilty that I have it so good right now. I've also noticed a rise in criminal activity, divorce, and trying to collect child support. It's so sad to see how hard it is for these people. Also, I've noticed people moving out of my condo and I can only assume that they can't afford it or I hope it is because they bought a house. But a friend of mine told me that real estate is extremely slow.
calorblind
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:34 am      Reply with quote
wow. what do you work as, skincare?
lin23
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:16 am      Reply with quote
Don't they feel bad ?

"On Saturday, the Wall Street Journal reported that AIG planned to pay out $450 million in bonuses to employees of the financial products division – the same unit that underwrote many of the risky subprime mortgages that sparked the current recession. Another $121 million will be paid to senior executives and other company employees - after collecting more than $170 billion in government rescue funds."
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:01 am      Reply with quote
They should HAVE to pay that bonus money back to the gov't...

I don't know any job where a "bonus" is a guarantee... They owe the American People!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:39 am      Reply with quote
According to CNN, AIG is contractually oblicated to pay those bonuses, and would be subject to lawsuits if they didn't. So what bozo at AIG approved such contracts??? Bonuses should be tied to individual performance, sure, but they should also be tied to COMPANY performance.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:16 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah... I don't get that kind of contract.. because I'm sure it's tied to performance... which is tied to making more loans... which UMMMM... let me think... Oh that's right... they were writing inappropriate loans... maybe they should back out all the loans that should not have gone through, and see if they still qualify for their bonus! The gov't loan should be payable first... Not the people that got us into this mess...

My favorite quote from one of the articles I read on this... is that they need to be able to "retain the best and the brightest..." So, they must pay those bonuses... (which range form $1000.00 to 6.5MILLION!) Ummm... did the "best and brightest" get you into this mess? Or have they been fired?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:09 am      Reply with quote
We are self-employed in the Real Estate Industry with a family business, so it affects our whole family when the cycle is as tough as this one.
We are luckier than most that we have savings to tide us through, but it is tough. We will lose a lot of our customers and coworkers in the industry because of this recession and I hope it passes quickly.
It has a trickle down effect so everyone is touched in some ways, even if it has not directly affected you.
What I remind people on a daily basis is to have hope and not let the fear cripple our nation. We cannot recover that way. I know that sounds easy to say, but it's the quickest stimulus that we can personally do. I have to tell myself that daily as well. This too shall pass.
So remember that little acts of kindness go way further in these times and are needed the most. Smile, say have a great day and mean it!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:34 am      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE wrote:
Yeah... I don't get that kind of contract.. because I'm sure it's tied to performance... which is tied to making more loans... which UMMMM... let me think... Oh that's right... they were writing inappropriate loans... maybe they should back out all the loans that should not have gone through, and see if they still qualify for their bonus! The gov't loan should be payable first... Not the people that got us into this mess...

My favorite quote from one of the articles I read on this... is that they need to be able to "retain the best and the brightest..." So, they must pay those bonuses... (which range form $1000.00 to 6.5MILLION!) Ummm... did the "best and brightest" get you into this mess? Or have they been fired?

Right ON!
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:36 pm      Reply with quote
AnnieR wrote:

What I remind people on a daily basis is to have hope and not let the fear cripple our nation. We cannot recover that way. I know that sounds easy to say, but it's the quickest stimulus that we can personally do. I have to tell myself that daily as well. This too shall pass.
So remember that little acts of kindness go way further in these times and are needed the most. Smile, say have a great day and mean it!

AnnieR, what wonderful words of wisdom!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:04 am      Reply with quote
Thanks! I had to step up my positive game when hubby came home a few weeks ago and found me crying over an Oprah episode of how many more families were living homeless. Stories that were heartbreaking. Some with several grown children they didn't want to tell so they wouldn't worry them. That followed by the nightly doom and gloom news and by that time I was really depressed, and I am a therapist (retired)! He was worried about my hormones and said to turn off the TV.
I reminded myself we can help more people by trying to spread hope (which is free and we can all give that) than getting people more fearful and more depressed. The little glimmers of daily life that make people smile and feel they have a reason to go on and welcome tomorrow, that's a recession breaker.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:10 pm      Reply with quote
Great advice, AnnieR! Okay, here's my share:

1. My son got the job! He's working for a retailer that actually posted profits last quarter.

2. A co-worker just QUIT her job to find more meaningful work. Her first project is to sell fruits and veggies from her "sustainable gardened" farm in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:12 am      Reply with quote
Nadjazz-Congrats on your son's new job and I hope your friends decision pays off. Sounds like she will at least be happy.
I like to focus on what we can do and can change.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:17 pm      Reply with quote
What jobs are considered recession proof anyway?
batwhirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:29 pm      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE wrote:
As a former recruiter I would HIGHLY recommend a few things.

Get your resume cleaned up NOW... don't wait until you must have it. Brush up on industry appropriate topics/skills, computer programs etc. Make yourself marketable if necessary!...

...Think up cheaper ways to have FUN! A potluck with friends is just as fun and MUCH cheaper than going out! Throw a wine tasting party... everyone bring a wine under $10 and a platter of cheese and crackers or something like that...

It's scary out there... My husband just watched 5 major players at his job get laid off yesterday. One already has a new job offer.. but SCARY! We've got our fingers crossed!

Claudia...great words of wisdom!
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:30 pm      Reply with quote
I worry too.... my company depends upon mom and pop retailers who are OUR customers. No layoffs yet, but we just got an email from the CEO that no cost of living adjustments will be paid this year.

During the last mini recession in 2001, no cost of living adjustments were paid then, and people were laid off. No lay-offs yet, but if things don't improve... I expect to see that happen. MY job --- depends upon new sales. But I'm the only one that does what I do and the training/learning curve to take on what I do is long and steep. Hoping that'll make my job recession proof, but there's never any guarantee.

Meanwhile, in the last couple years I've really reduced my spending. A lot... I was deeply in debt a few years ago because I had to borrow a lot of $$ to pay for out of pocket medical expenses. I'm slowly climbing out of debt, but I had to move to a less expensive location and get a roommate to save on the biggest monthly expense ---- rent and mortgage. Whittling down the rest and seeing some light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm not as well dressed as I would like to be. I don't have as many handbags as I would like, or as many pairs of killer shoes as I would wish. I've learned that $$ isn't always better and while I still purchase quality skincare stuff, some of it I make on my own and the lines I like don't cost that much.

I can live VERY close to the bone if I have to.... make my own iced mocha coffee rather than buy an iced mocha latte at Starbucks for 5 dollars a pop. My iced mocha coffee tastes better too, and I don't have to worry about the high fructose corn syrup CRAP... Cook more whole foods rather than dine in restaurants...only treat myself to restaurants a few times a month. I don't pay for facials and skincare procedures; only pay $30-35 (including tip) to get my hair cut because I go to a Vidal Sassoon Academy. Takes me all day every few months to get my hair cut, but I walk out with million dollar looking hair for less than $50. I color my own hair. I've learned to be a DIY'er in many aspects of life. Smile

This affects us all. Eventually, we'll all recognize we need to change our paradigm. An economy that depends upon all of us buying useless crap from China, outsourcing manufacturing so we no longer make any REAL products, keeping up with the Joneses, living on credit and beyond our means is built on a very....shaky..... house of cards.

Live within your means. Make meaning within your life.

End rant... Smile

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 pm      Reply with quote
Athena, I agree with you. I'm not going to be affected, but I do feel guilty. I have not stopped with high expenses of skin care, hair care and shopping higher end accessories and I don't go shopping for clothes. I've been telling my SO that we should slow down for the just-in-case situation.
I just found out today from a good friend that another person had her last day at work, last Friday. And she is a single mom!
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:49 pm      Reply with quote
AnnieR wrote:
Nadjazz-Congrats on your son's new job and I hope your friends decision pays off. Sounds like she will at least be happy.
I like to focus on what we can do and can change.

Thank you, AnnieR! He needs a job with health insurance! As for my friend, she is very down-to-earth, and has always worked hard and lived frugally. The lifestyle athena preaches in her post above is just how my friend has lived since I met her 7 years ago. And now it is paying off for her!

Skincare wrote:
What jobs are considered recession proof anyway?

This is just my opinion, and I'd love to hear other opinions...but there are certain goods and services people will not or cannot give up, even in a bad economy. For example, hospital workers...it doesn't matter what the economy is doing, people still get ill. And in a bad economy, people will give up eating out, going to the movies, etc...but giving up health insurance is probably not an option.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:16 pm      Reply with quote
calorblind wrote:
wow. what do you work as, skincare?

?
System
Automatic Message
Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:01 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |