Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
LUSH reviews
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
Mabsy

Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:44 am      Reply with quote
Remember when I went on a bit of a shopping spree at LUSH (which was partly responsible for the October month of savings...)? Well, I've tried out some of the stuff that I have bought so here goes!

Angels on Bare Skin - this is a cleanser which is supposed to be very similar (in type) to the Dr Hauschka Cleansing Cream. This was actually my initial purchase at LUSH and I have sat on the fence about this for *ages* now. While it is pretty good, I do not get the same healthy glow with this as I do when I use Dr H. It is also quite hard to make into a paste, some of it dissolves and becomes "white water" basically and other bits just clump together.

Herbalism - very similar to the AoBS above but have some other herbs in it and is green in color Smile I actually preferred this to AoBS in the end but still do not like it enough to purchase again.

Mask of Magnaminty - I *like* this! I'll be honest with you and say that I do not really see anything that it does for my skin. However it feels so beautifully minty that anyone who is fan of the minty feeling should try this. It's like the Queen Helene Mint Julep mask but without the burning sensation (for me). Very refreshing and will purchase in the future (unless I find something more minty Embarassed ).

Enzynamite (bio-fresh) - Enzynamite is supposed to be a cleanser from the LUSH Bio-Fresh range (i.e. the freshly made refrigerated range). I have pretty tough skin so I have actually been using this as a 20 minute mask instead of rinsing it off straight away. I noticed when reading the MUA reviews that many people do chose to use it as a mask instead. My assessment of this is that it is supposed to stimulate your skin, you actually do end up looking a tad red after this much like after Arbonne Thermal Enzyme Mask and Eminence Herbal Mud Treatment (Thoughtcrime I have to tell you a story about this!!!!). The mask was nice and it smelled nice but I must say that I prefer the Eminence.

Cupcake mask (bio-fresh) - Now this is will definitely be repurchasing, even though I know that I said I was boycotting LUSH for their recent price increases (with VERY rude timing!). Again, it's a freshly made mask and it smells like chocolate. That was pretty much why I bought it but I have since discovered that there are other benefits to it. It does make skin look refreshed plus I had this little zit-to-be forming and after I had the mask on it pretty much drew out the crap out and that was that! I wouldn't use this all the time (I get bored easily Laughing ) but it will be nice to buy every so often to have something super fresh on hand.

Love Lettuce mask (bio-fresh) - I'm not a big fan of this. I didn't like the smell and felt that it was too rough on skin. I don't think it has any lettuce in it but it certainly is green and does have exfoliating granules in it as well.

After tango (bio-fresh) - This is a foot mask with pumice. Quite good, but I can't say that I have many other foot masks to compare it to Smile I would get this again for a special treat but would need to make sure that it was properly made. Mine had big chunks of unprocessed stuff in it (I think it was asparagus) that just kept falling off everywhere.

Aromabread (bio-fresh) - I think this has actually been discontinued. Didn't like it one little bit! Hated the smell too (never a good thing with me!). The chick at LUSH recommended this for my skin, which worries me slightly since I found out (when I got hold of the product catalogue) that this is geared at guys Laughing

Middle Earth turned to rock [soap] - This is a "soap" with a high content of pumice in it held together by some brown mud. Sounds just peachy doesn't it! Laughing It is pretty good though for use on feet and (if used very gently) on the backs of thighs etc. When I first used it I didn't realise that it wasn't "normal" soap and just went for it. I almost screamed out in pain. It is hard core and, no, it does not foam.

Figs & Leaves [soap] - Very nice soap which foams up just right (for me anyway). It has a nice earthy smell to it and isn't drying. The only problem I had with this was occasional scratches. Every so often I'd look at my thigs (for example) and wonder where this big red scratch came from. Then I figured out it was from the fig seeds in the soap. If you go easy though then this is gently exfoliating.

Hybrid - this is a solid shampoo and conditioner bar all in one. Yes, I was feeling particularly lazy that day Laughing To my surprise this is actually quite good even though it does not foam up all that much and it is hard to get a block that is cut "right" (i.e. has proportionate amounts of shampoo and conditioner). I wouldn't use this on a daily basis but I think it's a very nice option for traveling.

Buffy the backside slayer - I ended up really liking Buffy as well. It's an exfoliating block which contains ground rice and aduki beans, held together by a whole lot of cocoa butter. Curtesy of the cocoa butter, this exfoliates the back of your thighs AND moisturises in one go. However, on the flip side, courtesy of the cocoa butter this just melts at the very mention of water! Very expensive for something that doesn't last long (even though I have taken to cutting it up into 4 pieces). Smells lovely though Smile

Aromacreme deodorant - Another LUSH product I am on the fence about. I bought the very first batch of this and I have heard that they have had trouble getting it to stay at the right consistency. No kidding! Some people report this is semi-solid. Mine is a paste, which also decides to separate out the oils in it every few days. As a deodorant it is pretty effective but keep in mind that this is NOT an anti-perspirant. I made the mistake of using this two days ago when it was about 39 Celsius here (i.e. about 102 F) and shall not be doing that again!

Free Trade Foot Lotion - A *pink* footcream which I was promised would feel tingly and refreshing. No go! It does have a faint minty smell but I can't feel it. I also didn't find this moisturising enough for my feet at night.

Pied de pepper foot cream - Pros: Smells lovely! I like spicy smells and this smells like cinnamon and cloves. Cons: It's *brown*, this would be fine if not for the fact that *brown* cream on *white* bed sheets is *not* a good idea. Washes out though. Another con is that it's also not overly moisturising but good for day use etc

Black magic - This is one of the LUSH massage bars. I like the concept, in fact I quite like the Therapy bar I just tried yesterday, but this bar in particular did not hit it off with me. This bar consists of mainly cocoa butter (read: clear - no problem!) and a dark chocolate shea butter top layer (read: DARK chocolate). I ended up with brown smudges on my skin that looked like I rolled around in mud (or worse!). Not going there again!

Phew! Ok, that about does it for now. I'm slowly catching up on reviews that I have been meaning to do for ages Embarassed

So sorry for the length of this! Embarassed
Gucci
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:02 am      Reply with quote
SHOPPING SPREE?????
hahaha I thought I bought alot!!!!! Laughing Thats more like a years salary!!!!!! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:57 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy,
LOL Laughing
Gosh and huge thank you for publishing the book above. You have made my recent purchases look very minimal. I think I might print off your list and show Mr Loopy, it might persuade him that I show admirable restraint in the face of constant temptation. Rolling Eyes
Lori
Caspers Mum

Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:22 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry, all, but I can't say that I'm a big fan of these skincare products. I have tried samples, and they haven't had any "wow" factor for me. That, and the fact that the smell of the place gives me a headache! In fact, the shop that is near my home is so pungent, that when their door is open, the smell wafts down the street! There is also a Canadian aromatherapy chain store called Saje beside the Lush shop. Combined, the smell can be almost intolerable! Neutral
Gucci
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:05 pm      Reply with quote
I'm afraid I have to agree with you about the smell of the place, I have to pass Lush on the way to work and have to cross the road. I did try to go in one lunchtime but gave up when i had to use my asthma inhalers just as I got through the doors!!! Embarassed

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:40 pm      Reply with quote
I must admit, I'm not a huge lush fan.

Once a year I buy myself a couple bath bombs and they end up leaving nasty nasty scum rings around my tub and I give up. I now know, only buy karma...but will i remember that next year? (prolly not)

I've tried some of the soaps but find there's no benefit for my skin..it just smells good.
Nanapost
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:57 pm      Reply with quote
Ah, for once! Thank you so much for all the info and I am delighted that I'm not even tempted to add any of the products to my ever-growing wish list. Very Happy Thanks for putting so much time and effort into the trials and the reporting. Job well done!

5% products discount

Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:58 pm      Reply with quote
i have tried LUSH products before, that was long time ago ago ago......and i think it was a masque or something. products are good, but im sorry, the smell of the store......wow...too strong. i didnt need to enter the store and i could smell it from few stores away. very strong...very bad too~
freckles127
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:48 pm      Reply with quote
Mabsy-
Did you say you are reviewing SOME of the stuff you bought? So does that mean you bought more than what you reviewed? Wow, when you shop, you SHOP!!

guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:37 am      Reply with quote
I think you are a lush addict or not...kinda like marmite! My friend has been buying their stuff for years from when they opened in Bath (or where ever...) I've never been that struck with the stuff she has got, but I did get some Potion lotion of a lovely handbagger and it is a lovely body moisturiser, and, best of all, since I'm using the CP on by boob are, it masks the smell wonderfully!
(did I not tell you that in my persuit of body beautiful I now smell like a rotting cabbage?....mmmm, must have slipped my mind Rolling Eyes )

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:10 am      Reply with quote
Raises hand, major Lush whore here!! I even get in on group orders for discontinued products that you vote for. I also do swaps with other members, pretty silly. I have met some really nice people in person over on the lush forum. That was the first forum that I joined. This is my second.
Mabsy

Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:50 am      Reply with quote
I totally agree about the smell of the place. I have been aware of the existence of the LUSH shop for quite some time and each time I had to walk past it I would (seriously!) cross to the other side because it gave me headaches and actually made me feel nauseous. It's only recently that I have actually been able to walk into it.

In terms of the skincare, I am not impressed by most of the items I bought or tried. I do like Cupcake though and Magnaminty (though it does nothing for me). The rest I would not repurchase. I do like some of their soaps but I also agree that there is nothing really special about them - they just smell nice and feel nice but are way too expensive to buy on a regular basis!

I bought a lot because I decided that I finally wanted to give LUSH a go. I went through the catalogue (and MUA) and picked out whatever I was curious about and bought it. I was hoping that this might get LUSH out of my system and it has worked (mostly). Otherwise I would still be agonising over what to try and what not to. Freckles - Embarassed Yes, there are a few more things that I have not yet written about. I actually tried the Virgin Olive Oil soap last night and while it felt so nice and creamy on, my skin was really tight when I rinsed it off. So, not a big fan of that one!
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:36 am      Reply with quote
Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried the LUSH Lip Service lip balm? It’s gotten pretty high ratings on MUA, but I noticed it wasn’t among the plethora of products that Mabsy reviewed for us, so I was wondering if anyone else had tried it?

TIA,
Carrie
Mabsy

Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:33 am      Reply with quote
Hi Carrie,

I played with the tester in the store but I wasn't overly impressed and didn't end up getting it. I guess that decision was also helped by the millions (ok, maybe not millions but "too many") lipbalms that invade my home....
-rusalka-
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:45 am      Reply with quote
I know this is kind of an old thread, but I found it after doing a search for the Pied de Pepper foot cream as I had received an order from them a few days ago and being undecided as to what I think about it, wanted to see what others here might have thought.

While the soaps haven't done anything for me, I LOVE the Dream Cream. I have skin that's prone to getting quite dry and this is the first cream I've found that made my skin as soft and moist as it does the day after. At first I was worried because I didn't know if it would readily absorb being as rich (but oddly light in texture) and emollient as it is. But based on the morning after, I became a dedicated fan. This is something I'll definitely continue to use every other day, and the scent is barely existent and won't interfere with the other products I use. It did leave a very moist (not greasy or sticky, but just not quite sunk in) layer on my skin for a couple of hours, but the effects are felt for days afterwards, and it's great to alternate with a lighter lotion every other day. I'm going to give Potion a go when I order some more bubble bars. I've yet to try their bombs yet!!

I'm still undecided about the Pied de Pepper. I lovelovelove the smell, and fortunately I haven't had a problem with any staining (on white sheets or my white terry bath slippers.) I just don't know what I think about the quality of moisturization. It does feel great, and I'll use it during the day, but I think I've been spoiled with the L'Occitane foot cream, which kicks arse, and is my nighttime staple. Very Happy

I'd love to try Lush's masks or bath melts, but I don't have a store anywhere near me and those are kind of impossible to order by mail. I often wondered why people complained about their packaging and dubbed it the uber-suck, and unfortunately, now I know!! My Dream Cream came in just fine, but the Pied de Pepper leaked out the rim a little, and I can see how the lids would never work for travelling!! What the hell were they thinking offering mail order with lids like those!! Laughing
MystyPines
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:52 pm      Reply with quote
About 6 months ago I took a trip with my husband into New York City because I heard that a LUSH store had opened up and being a handmade soapmaker, I was so excited to see their products. I was surprised to find out that the soaps they manufacture are filled with chemicals and most of the bars look like the Melt & Pour soap base that you can buy in the art/craft store and they add a few exfoliating herbs/ingredients and some perfume. I was so disappointed. My husband was with me and we both agreed most of the soap scents were not appealing and the prices were outrageous. Sad

But I ended up getting a massage bar that smells like chocolate (made with cocoabutter & shea butter). This product of theirs I definitely like! Dancing

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:59 pm      Reply with quote
I LOVE the Lip Service lipbalm, but I can imagine it's not everybody's piece of cake. The texture is quite solid, even at room temperature, so I'll have to use my nails to get a bit out of the jar. But the effect! OH MY GOD!!! If I could ever imagine only using lipbalm once a day, this would definitely be it.

And it smells nice, like chocolate/orange. Very Happy
-rusalka-
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:06 pm      Reply with quote
MystyPines, I know where you're coming from about the soap! I personally don't make soap, but I know a few who do and there's a natural soap store close to where I live that's amazing.

Lush soaps (I've only tried two so far) dry out my skin and last a LOT shorter than any soap I've ever used. I'm a bath & shower gel girl, meshelf, but I can appreciate a nice soap every once and a while! When made well, they look so yummy!! The RockStar soap, although I enjoyed the smell a bit since it's so far removed from every other scent I use (I'm more into milky, seaweed, herbal, incense, etc. type fragrances) but it looked like a hunk of plastic.

With so many good soaps out there, there's no reason to use ones that make your skin feel dry and sticky while you're still in the tub/shower. Even if Lush *does* make some fab moisturizers to follow up with! I still want to try more of their stuff, but I definitely won't be messing with the soaps.

I still think the bubble bars are fun, even if the bubbles only last about 10 minutes! Very Happy
diderot
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:52 pm      Reply with quote
Perfect timing...I went to my sister's apt tonite,and guess what she showed me ? Her new LUSH purchases. I have used Lush long long time ago, and I don't even remember anything about it except that it can be messy. Anyway, being a forever curious being, I tried her stuffs right there and then Laughing I tried the Ocean Salt, tea tree oil spray, crash course in skin mask, Mask of Magnaminty. I love the Ocean salt, but I know I need to be cautious using it IF I decide to purchase it, it can be rough, but my skin feels very smooth afterwards, felt it got detoxed. Crash course mask is nice too but it didn't impressed me enough to want to own it. The rest are just so so. She also showed me the Herbalism (cleanser), the messy look scared already , didn't tried it at all.

So, next time I go to that shop, I might check the Ocean salt out again.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:55 pm      Reply with quote
Here's more info on the Ocean salt :

Ingredients: Fine & Coarse Sea Salt (Sodium chloride), Fresh Grapefruit Infusion (Citrus grandis), Stearic Acid, Fresh Lime Extract (Citrus aurantifolia), Sodium Cocoampoacetate, Glycol Cetearate, Glycerine, Triethanolamine, Fresh Avocado Butter (Persea gratissima), Coconut Fat (Cocos nucifera), Lime Oil (Citrus aurantifolia), Seaweed Absolute (Fucus vesiculosus), Violet Leaf Absolute (Viola odorata), Lanolin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Perfume, FD&C Blue, Methylparaben, Propylparaben..

Ocean Salt contains refreshing grapefruit juice and organic avocado butter which softens your skin as it cleanses. Not surprisingly, it has loads of sea salt which is a supreme natural cleanser; it works as an exfoliator before it dissolves away and is soothing for troubled skin (and packed with minerals). Use everyday if you have oily skin and once a week for dry skin.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:53 am      Reply with quote
[quote="MystyPines I was surprised to find out that the soaps they manufacture are filled with chemicals [/quote]

I didn't realise this, I thought the whole idea was that they used only natural ingredients Shock

I usually get a lump of Honey I Washed the Kids soap, but I never think to question what's actually in it as I thought it was supposed to be chemical free Confused

Will have to rethink now....

T x
alflorez

Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:24 am      Reply with quote
a couple of tips:
    mix the top blue layer of ocean salt with the bottom half white creamy salt.

try ocean salt on your body or rough parts. not inexpensive obviously but it works well.

use mask of magnaminty on your feet.

use dream cream on your face at night only if you do not have oily skin. it helps with redness.

crumble 1/4 bubble bar into a bath with 1/2 a ballistic or more for what we call a cocktail- it makes sure you have no ring on the tub and can intensify the scent.

use your knuckle to get lip service out of the pot, or warm the closed pot between your hands for a bit before using.

some people (like me) can use 1/8 of a buffy for a whole body scrub- makes it much more economical. also you can intentionally drop/throw ballistics oon the ground to make them crack in half. two baths in one.

try a buffy scrub followed with dream cream for KP on arms.

for hybrid, which works quite good for my fine hair, i ask the shop workers to cut a piece for me as i want it. that way i can get more conditioner/less conditioner. and it doesnt foam. Wink

also, try a butterball. yes, if you have soft water it will probably leave a ring. its the best for my dry skin. i just sit for maybe 10 minutes, or read, and when i get up the cocoa butter melts onto me and its wonderful!

this is the 3rd forum i've joined and lush was the 1st. all the girls (and a few guys) on there are very helpful if anyone has any questions. theres a swap board and sometimes they sell items, so you can buy whatever and itll get to you much faster than ordering through lush.
i definitely think lush is love it or hate it though. i dont particularly enjoy the facial skincare products but if i have a chance to be around a store ill always go in a get something. Very Happy
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:40 am      Reply with quote
Nemi wrote:
I LOVE the Lip Service lipbalm, but I can imagine it's not everybody's piece of cake. The texture is quite solid, even at room temperature, so I'll have to use my nails to get a bit out of the jar. But the effect! OH MY GOD!!! If I could ever imagine only using lipbalm once a day, this would definitely be it. And it smells nice, like chocolate/orange. Very Happy
I’m only human, so I have to admit that I was the *tiniest* bit tempted by Nemi’s rave...but you should be quite proud of me, I managed to be strong and resist the temptation to order it! Razz Laughing
vegas gal
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:32 am      Reply with quote
alflorez wrote:

this is the 3rd forum i've joined and lush was the 1st. all the girls (and a few guys) on there are very helpful if anyone has any questions. Very Happy

Hi Alli wave

Welcome to EDS forum, Lilyhopper from lush forum Very Happy !
mailnat
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:26 pm      Reply with quote
I've bought and tried their enchanted eye cream which I wasn't very satisfied with. It is a lotion which smells strongly of lavender and it makes my eyes wake up feeling more puffy and kind of irratated if i put it on before bed (don't know if my eyes just don't like an eye cream though as its the only one i've tried). It also feels sticky for a while untill its set.

I am very intrigued to try their masks though especially the cupcake one anything chocolat smelling and skin impprovings gotta be a winner!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:45 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |