Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Hauschka Sensitive Care Conditioner (1 ml x 50 Amps) Sundari Omega 3+ and Amalaki Night Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Serum 16 (30 ml / 1 floz)
Question about cleansers and makeup remover
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
christine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:36 am      Reply with quote
Dear all =)

This might sound like a silly question but I've been wondering for a while now. Do regular cleansers like cleansing foam, cleansing gel, etc, remove all the makeup? Rolling Eyes

I've always been told that I need to do a double-cleansing, which means I should use a cleansing oil or gel/cream/lotion/water/milk then follows with a cleansing foam to thoroughly remove the makeup. Thus, I usually use a cleansing oil + a cleansing foam.

However, I noticed that my auntie(who is now in her late 40s) only uses a cleansing foam. She has been using only that for as long as I can remember. The other day I asked a Shiseido BA and she also said that you actually only need one. However, when I asked the Estee Lauder BA, she said you need both which is their "take away" (I'm not so sure about the name but it's a makeup remover) and a regular cleansing foam.

I've a very dry skin during winter and last week when I stopped by Guerlain counter, the lovely BA said I should only use a cleansing milk! I'm confused Rolling Eyes help!
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:48 am      Reply with quote
I use a cleansing oil and only do one cleanse and wash the oil off with plenty of hot water and a face cloth. I use a toner afterwards (rosewater) and find that the pad is always clean - meaning that I've thoroughly cleansed away all makeup and grime.

If you do a thorough cleanse in this way, I don't believe it's necessary to use anything else. I also read somewhere recently (sorry, can't remember where) that foaming cleansers weren't recommended because they contain surfactants (that's what makes the foam) which can strip the skin. I find cleansing oils very nourishing to the skin. HTH

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:42 am      Reply with quote
I think it's not necessary to do double-cleansing except your makeup or waterproof sunscreen require.
calorblind
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:16 am      Reply with quote
the bioderma water cleanser are amazing.. thats all u need to remove makeup and clean ur face
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:53 pm      Reply with quote
I don't think double cleansing is necessary unless you are wearing waterproof makeup/ss. In that case I think its best to use an oil cleanser to remove and most of the time if the oil cleanser has an emulsifier then you don't even need to use another cleanser after.
If you find your cleanser is not removing all of your makeup (and some are not good at this)then I'd look for another cleanser.
Camille00
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:56 am      Reply with quote
I'm using the Clinique Wash-Away Gel Cleanser and it's amasing!

It remove all the make-up, incluing eye make-up and it clean very well! I even have less black head with this cleanser!
aarietta
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:05 pm      Reply with quote
Sometimes I do double cleansing when I wear a lot of makeup - just in case it doesn't get rid of it all the first time.

I saw a video on youtube where a girl removed her makeup with extra virgin olive oil.
flyflyonly
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:59 am      Reply with quote
If the cleanser do not indicate that it could remove makeup, please do use makeup remover before your normal cleansing.
Besides, if one cleanser indicates that it could be used to remove makeup, it only could remove light makeup actually, just like foundation primer and sunscreen.
Anyway, makeup remover is much more safe for us to remove the makeup, so I suggest you use it whenever you use makeup.
wylone
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:36 pm      Reply with quote
personally, I only use cleasner for daily wash, which means no make-up days. otherwise, it's better to use cleasner milk or oil to remove makeup. you could test by wiping lotion after cleansing wash. if there is some makeup residue on the cotton --> not clean enough. Compare it with milk/oil remover treated face.
MMarble
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:37 pm      Reply with quote
I have acne-prone skin so I always do double cleansing whenever I wear sunscreen or foundation, just to be safe. If you have dry skin, using an oil based makeup remover should be good enough.
ps, I think Shiseido cleansers do clean more thoroughly than EL ones.
Emma_N
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:49 am      Reply with quote
You can read the instruction on the back of cleansers.
It's strange. For example, Cetaphil for normal skin cannot remove makeup but for oily skin can.
Camille00
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:54 am      Reply with quote
aarietta wrote:
Sometimes I do double cleansing when I wear a lot of makeup - just in case it doesn't get rid of it all the first time.

I saw a video on youtube where a girl removed her makeup with extra virgin olive oil.

You can use baby oil too! It's great for waterproof mascara.
gicugy
5% products discount

Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:25 am      Reply with quote
you should use makeup remover first, then use cleanser
harriet
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:07 am      Reply with quote
I cleanse twice when I use sunscreen, it's been very hot, dirty air etc. I think it is better as then the products penetrate better after and it keeps my pores cleaner. I use the same product twice or with Jurlique or Dr H the cleansing cream as the second wash.
flyflyonly
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:58 am      Reply with quote
harriet wrote:
I cleanse twice when I use sunscreen, it's been very hot, dirty air etc. I think it is better as then the products penetrate better after and it keeps my pores cleaner. I use the same product twice or with Jurlique or Dr H the cleansing cream as the second wash.

I think sunscreen should be removed by makeup remover or particular cleanser, but not by normal cleanser, since sunscreen are always made with water proff function.
harriet
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:58 am      Reply with quote
Hi flyflyonly. Thanks for you comment. Do you think ones from Jurlique have a water proof function? I have been using this daily over their recovery gel as a sunscreen and moisturizer as it is moisturizing enough. I agree the ones I wear to beach certainly need more to get them off. What do you use?
luyan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:30 pm      Reply with quote
You should be immediately replaced without foam Cleansing Emulsion,Cleansing in fact high-fat emulsion, cleaning ability to better, above all will not hurt the skin

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:36 am      Reply with quote
aarietta wrote:

it is the same thing as u use the make up remove oil. the same way to use oil remove oil stuff.
tinali0202
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:38 am      Reply with quote
luyan wrote:
You should be immediately replaced without foam Cleansing Emulsion,Cleansing in fact high-fat emulsion, cleaning ability to better, above all will not hurt the skin

agree wuth u. a nice and working make up remove is a very impoertant cleansing step
chenhui
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:28 pm      Reply with quote
I think a nice and working make up remove is a very impoertant cleansing step. If you have use base,you must use make up remove,otherwise it is easy to see you blain in your skin.
ximing
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:47 am      Reply with quote
Strange, I always agree with Calorblind's ideas. The bioderma water cleanser is amazing product and it is cheap and not irriated your skin at all. I am currenlty use Eve lom cleanser which is great and gives you a kind of enjoyment. Whether you need one step or two depends on how heavy your make up is.
lunathefinal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:12 pm      Reply with quote
Clarisonic + Cetaphil usually removes most of my mineral makeup except eye makeup of course. But I have to use some makeup remover for waterproof sunscreen.
System
Automatic Message
Tue May 14, 2024 6:05 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Serum 16 (30 ml / 1 floz) Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |