Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
OMG! Price of Skincare Products Rant-Perricone
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:25 pm      Reply with quote
I was just looking at What's New in the beauty department on Nordstrom.com http://shop.nordstrom.com/C/6001822/0~2377897~2377898~6001822?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=leftnav&pbo=2377897
Perricone has new products out that are priced horrendously! A neuropeptide "conformer" that cost $325??? What could possibly be in it that makes it worth the price? I've never been a fan or user of the Perricone line but I think the way many skincare products in general are being priced these days is ridiculous. In the case of Perricone there are so many products too, how would anyone figure out what they need to use. Oh well, just needed to vent. Laughing
NOTCH
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:40 pm      Reply with quote
DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, PAY THAT KIND OF PRICE FOR ANY COSMETIC PRODUCT! There is absolutely no reason for a product to be priced like that....except....to make the manufacturer large amounts of $$$$$$ off of an easily duped consumer base.

The most expensive raw material that I know of is priced at $2,000 per kilogram (1,000 grams). So, If someone were selling this material in a one once jar, it would truly cost $56.00!! BUT!! Keep in mind that all creams and lotions contain a LOT of water. Anywhere from 50% to about 70% of creams and lotions are water. So, now we would have to multiply the "active" ingredient price by about 40% because that the highest it could be loaded in the product. Now....the product should truly cost about $22.40!!! And all creams and lotions contain more than just the "active" which are all cheaper in price...so the real price should be much lower still.

This product probably cost far less than that to produce and manufacture. Cosmetic products should NEVER cost hundreds of dollars....EVER!

Don't be mislead by marketing hype, and "high prices" as a sign of very high activity. Even if this product is the most functional product on earth it still didn't cost them very much at all to product it.

Please note this.... and read the ingredients label to truly make the decision on whether or not to buy a product.

John

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:01 pm      Reply with quote
Dr. Perricone may not be selling a lot of his creams. Many end up at TJMaxx, at least where I live I see many of his products highly discounted.
averygsmom
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:53 pm      Reply with quote
Sephora also has some deep discounts right now on some Perricone stuff as they have changed packaging. I haven't used any of his products but if anyone wanted to it might be a good time to do it, I know the acne starter kit is priced at $40 right now.
milbader
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:10 pm      Reply with quote
Marshalls here in AZ has Perricone products discounted. TJMaxx and Marshalls are owned by the same parent company.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:53 pm      Reply with quote
jom wrote:
I was just looking at What's New in the beauty department on Nordstrom.com http://shop.nordstrom.com/C/6001822/0~2377897~2377898~6001822?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=leftnav&pbo=2377897
Perricone has new products out that are priced horrendously! A neuropeptide "conformer" that cost $325??? What could possibly be in it that makes it worth the price? I've never been a fan or user of the Perricone line but I think the way many skincare products in general are being priced these days is ridiculous. In the case of Perricone there are so many products too, how would anyone figure out what they need to use. Oh well, just needed to vent. Laughing

He's got some stuff out that is over $500 too. I actually used his products a gazillion years ago...I saw ZERO results! Rolling Eyes

I think some of his books are quite insightful, but he is targeting a VERY small market with those crazy prices!

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:13 am      Reply with quote
Maybe they have made many many reserch to create this cream and the reserch have cost a lot of money?!
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:37 am      Reply with quote
Goodness! I was just raving about a Perricone skincare product called Nutrient Face Fortifier. I got a free sample from a derm. I haven't even asked how much a full size cost. Ouch! $325 is too much. No can do.
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:38 am      Reply with quote
Bellezza wrote:
Dr. Perricone may not be selling a lot of his creams. Many end up at TJMaxx, at least where I live I see many of his products highly discounted.

Good to know where to look for cheaper Perricone products. I do really like the Nutrient Face Fortifier, and if I can find it for cheap at TJ Maxx, I will buy it.
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:39 am      Reply with quote
NOTCH wrote:
DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, PAY THAT KIND OF PRICE FOR ANY COSMETIC PRODUCT! There is absolutely no reason for a product to be priced like that....except....to make the manufacturer large amounts of $$$$$$ off of an easily duped consumer base.

The most expensive raw material that I know of is priced at $2,000 per kilogram (1,000 grams). So, If someone were selling this material in a one once jar, it would truly cost $56.00!! BUT!! Keep in mind that all creams and lotions contain a LOT of water. Anywhere from 50% to about 70% of creams and lotions are water. So, now we would have to multiply the "active" ingredient price by about 40% because that the highest it could be loaded in the product. Now....the product should truly cost about $22.40!!! And all creams and lotions contain more than just the "active" which are all cheaper in price...so the real price should be much lower still.

This product probably cost far less than that to produce and manufacture. Cosmetic products should NEVER cost hundreds of dollars....EVER!

Don't be mislead by marketing hype, and "high prices" as a sign of very high activity. Even if this product is the most functional product on earth it still didn't cost them very much at all to product it.

Please note this.... and read the ingredients label to truly make the decision on whether or not to buy a product.

John

Thanks for your input. What is the ingredient that costs $2K per kg?
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:12 am      Reply with quote
Bira wrote:
Goodness! I was just raving about a Perricone skincare product called Nutrient Face Fortifier. I got a free sample from a derm. I haven't even asked how much a full size cost. Ouch! $325 is too much. No can do.

The nutrient fortifier is $90 and the "magic" ingredient I believe is DMAE which I remember reading about, probably somewhere on this board, that it isn't that great an ingredient.
NOTCH
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:28 pm      Reply with quote
Bira wrote:
NOTCH wrote:

John

Thanks for your input. What is the ingredient that costs $2K per kg?

The raw material that costs $2,000 per kilogram is called ruscogenin which is a botanical material from the rain forrest in South America. The company that found this material did the research including a double blind study for this ingredient as a fat burner and anti-cellulite material. The study proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that it worked, and worked better than any other so called anti-cellulite product on the market. The study was published in the peer reviewed Journal of Cosmetic Science.

The reason I'm familiar with this information is because I use this material in my Topical Fat Burning Lotion. And, I'm the only cosmetic company in the world to use it. The manufacturer was actually surprised when I called to buy some. They said they've had a few calls on it, but when they mention price, all the big cosmetic houses refuse, because they could no longer make a profit on a product containing this material. That's what is wrong with the big cosmetic companies today....it's all about profit....profit....and more obscene profit, when it really should be about function and activity, like my products are.

John

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:37 pm      Reply with quote
NOTCH wrote:
DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, PAY THAT KIND OF PRICE FOR ANY COSMETIC PRODUCT! ...

Just few questions :
Obviously, the price of your products is made as the total of the raw mat. costs, contained in the product. So how do you finance the costs for the production and packaging? And your work in it (research) - that has no value either ? Your product prices contain no margin ?
NOTCH
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
I performed all of my research during my tenure as a cosmetic chemist for a raw material supplier. I studied their jojoba, macadamia, sunflower and other very stable, botanical materials as completely as possible. Then, I studied virtually all of the other triglyceride cosmetic oils out there. I came to understand what made macadamia, sunflower, meadowfoam and others so far suppier to other botanical oils. In addition, I studied and performed research on all of the other cosmetic raws needed to make top of the line cosmetic products. So, my research really cost me nothing. It was learned over a 9 year span.

I run the production and packaging department as well. My company is not a swollen, giant of a corporation with all kinds of overhead costs. Therefore, I can move that cost savings to the consumer. I can afford to charge less, way less, than these big comglomerate houses. Yet, my products contain the very best actives, in the most skin friendly, and skin similar carrier creams and lotions. It is an unbeatable combination.

I'll tell you this, the buyers, distributors, and top professionals at the Natural Expo West trade show in Anaheim "got" my message this past week. By the end of the show on Sunday, people were flocking to our booth to hear about my products and how I do it. I got 3 offers to team up with other cosmetic devices on "informercial" type deals. I got one offer to team up my cosmetic products with a baby quasar type light company as an unbeatable one-two punch for a home shopping network segment with ME as the spokesperson! Our orders this week from our website is outstanding, and they are all from California...obviously, people who heard my presentation and sampled my products.

Good, active, botanical and safe cosmetics CAN be made, and CAN be sold at a reasonable price. I'm proving it. I'm "David" vs. the "Goliaths" and I aim to win, one customer at a time. Yes, I make a very small profit margin. But, it's enough to sustain our company, and earn a living for me. THAT is the "ethical" way to do it in my opinion. Corporate American has burned out, as the economy is proving. We need to go back to the basics, like my company.

John

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:19 pm      Reply with quote
lol. you r my idol.
Pachouli
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:46 pm      Reply with quote
NOTCH wrote:

I'll tell you this, the buyers, distributors, and top professionals at the Natural Expo West trade show in Anaheim "got" my message this past week. By the end of the show on Sunday, people were flocking to our booth to hear about my products and how I do it. I got 3 offers to team up with other cosmetic devices on "informercial" type deals. I got one offer to team up my cosmetic products with a baby quasar type light company as an unbeatable one-two punch for a home shopping network segment with ME as the spokesperson! Our orders this week from our website is outstanding, and they are all from California...obviously, people who heard my presentation and sampled my products.

John

Congrats John! That is so exciting! I want to see you on TV. Keep us posted.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:45 pm      Reply with quote
NOTCH wrote:
I performed all of my research during my tenure as a cosmetic chemist for a raw material supplier. I studied their jojoba, macadamia, sunflower and other very stable, botanical materials as completely as possible. Then, I studied virtually all of the other triglyceride cosmetic oils out there. I came to understand what made macadamia, sunflower, meadowfoam and others so far suppier to other botanical oils. In addition, I studied and performed research on all of the other cosmetic raws needed to make top of the line cosmetic products. So, my research really cost me nothing. It was learned over a 9 year span.

You are one modest chap !
Anyway, you mean, you researched already everything what's out there, there is no need for further development. If there is anything new coming, you simply don't care.
BTW, you didn't answer my questions.
lin23
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:57 am      Reply with quote
I forgot something :
no, I don't want to pay the insanely high prices either. But I found it ridiculous to reduce a product for the total of its ingredients. Ditto the opinion that all your reserch was done already (and was paid by somebody else). I'm still happy to have companies with an R&D department, which reserch the safety of ingredients and search for new ones. I'm still happy with them, having a quality control dep. and all the certifications of hygiene. And there are people working there, which have to get paid. From the price I pay for their products...
P Girl
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:58 am      Reply with quote
Confused

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:25 pm      Reply with quote
I'm quite fixated on the saying that "you get what you paid for" that's true whenever I get something of inferior quality not to mention cheap
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:24 pm      Reply with quote
jom wrote:
Bira wrote:

The nutrient fortifier is $90 and the "magic" ingredient I believe is DMAE which I remember reading about, probably somewhere on this board, that it isn't that great an ingredient.

$90 is not a small chunk of change, is it? I hope I can find it at TJ Maxx. I'm ambivalent about DMAE. I'm not sure if it's really good or not.
NOTCH
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:44 pm      Reply with quote
Lin, this is specifically for you...

"Obviously, the price of your products is made as the total of the raw mat. costs, contained in the product. So how do you finance the costs for the production and packaging?"

Answer: The product price I charge is based on the cost of the raw materials, the cost of obtaining the raw materials, the cost of the packaging that I use, and a small cost for the effort it takes to get the products delivered to the customer which is sometimes called "handling". I use all of these to make the final determination of my product costs. When all the calculations were done, I was still able to come in with the low price that I charge today. And, I am making a profit, which is providing me with a comfortable living. There is no need for me to charge hundreds of dollars for my individual products. First of all, they simply didn't cost that much to produce in total. Second, since I started as an unknown company, who would buy from me with if I had insanely high prices like the big cosmetic houses? Nobody would trust my product against theirs, and thus I would get no sales. So, my selling point is charge low reasonable prices to bring new customers on board. And it worked! Now I am completely trusted through all of my products. I have a 100% positive rating on eBay. That is absolutely unheard of for a small company that sells cosmetics on eBay. There is almost always at least one person who doesn't like one of the products and instantly the rating goes down. But, I have 100% satisfaction, and that speaks volumes. As for my research, like I say, I have researched cosmetic oils of every type for over 9 years. My Technical Director at the time was retired from the USDA department of "New Crops Development". He was in charge of planting and identifying the best of all types of seed oil crops throughout the US and the world. He taught me everything he knew about seed oils, triglyceride oils, wax esters etc. That's over 4 decades of knowledge alone. Finally, I never stop my research. My newest launch this year, The Original "Living Lotion" is based on researching all botanical, natural raw materials that would most closely resemble human skin sebum. After reading about the study at the University of Upsala, in Sweden that came out last fall, I knew this lotion had to be produced. After all, their study proved that almost all other creams and lotions on the market today actually dry your skin out further rather than being moisturizing. My "latest" research allowed me to create this product which is continuously moisturizing without disrupting skin function at all. In my opinion, my research is not "$$$", it is a passion and it is enjoyable. I'd do it for free if that were possible, but I have to earn a living, so here I am.

"And your work in it (research) - that has no value either ? Your product prices contain no margin ?"

I think you need an "insiders" point of view on how cosmetic research and quality departments work. Did you know that the research and the formulas that these chemist perform and create don't go any further than the lab in most cases?? They have absolutely no say whatsoever in the "final" product that the big cosmetic houses produce. Here is how it works. The chemist research new and wonderful materials. Either they discover their own, or raw material suppliers show up and try to sell them their wonderful ingredients. Then...the chemist creates wonderfully active formulas on the bench. Next, they go to a meeting with their Marketing Supervisor and thier Production Costs Manager. The chemist proudly shows his new product and explains all the fantastic benefits. Then....the Marketing guy and the Cost Manager say, "how much will this cost to produce?". The chemist loses his smile as he says "$xx.xx per kilogram sir". Instantly, he hears one of two replies that he always hears:

1) NO, that is WAY to expensive!! Take it back to the lab. Take those active ingredients out. Put in petrolatum, mineral oil, low priced comodity silicones, and a little tiny bit of the active for label claim, and then come back and show me again.

2) NO, that is WAY to expensive!! But, the Marketing guy also says, "you know, that is a great idea and we are the only ones that have it right now. Let's shoot the final price up 1,000% and sell it. Even if we only get a few thousand customers at that price, we'll still bank a fortune, and we can change the formula slightly next year, mark it down just a tiny bit and still claim that it's improved even though we'll only get a 1 year run out of the product.

Now, in both cases, the creative minds and abilities of the researches are CRUSHED! They are living zombies who go along with the system because they are getting a paycheck. Period. I know because I was the guy trying to sell them the good, quality, botanical raw materials. And they couldn't buy them because they knew even if they made a fantastic formula, they would be crushed by the bean counters. That's how it is. You can believe me or not, but that's why I started my company. I still use absolute quality, natural botanical raws of the best there is to find. I use them because they work. There is no need to do further research on these ingredients because at the moment, nothing is better.

I know this is a long answer, but you wanted an answer and so here it is.

John

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:48 pm      Reply with quote
NOTCH wrote:
The raw material that costs $2,000 per kilogram is called ruscogenin which is a botanical material from the rain forrest in South America. The company that found this material did the research including a double blind study for this ingredient as a fat burner and anti-cellulite material. The study proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that it worked, and worked better than any other so called anti-cellulite product on the market. The study was published in the peer reviewed Journal of Cosmetic Science.

The reason I'm familiar with this information is because I use this material in my Topical Fat Burning Lotion. And, I'm the only cosmetic company in the world to use it. The manufacturer was actually surprised when I called to buy some. They said they've had a few calls on it, but when they mention price, all the big cosmetic houses refuse, because they could no longer make a profit on a product containing this material. That's what is wrong with the big cosmetic companies today....it's all about profit....profit....and more obscene profit, when it really should be about function and activity, like my products are.

John

Oh I want to try your fat burner lotion. I have pockets of fat that need to go! But will the fat just get moved around to another area, so I then have a new problem area?
calorblind
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:51 pm      Reply with quote
hope that your products and company will stay true to this 'moto' of yours!

Hopefully, you'll incorporate essentiel oils in ur products, as i loveee the smell of it (thats why im mad over Decleor/Darphin stuff cos they smell so good) ♦
P Girl
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:09 pm      Reply with quote
I actually don't believe that the "you get what you pay for rule" is a motto to live by or trust, even.

I use a LOT of products in my daily life that I just stumbled upon that are dirt cheap, have very plain packaging, and work beyond my expectations.

When you buy an item from a "luxury brand" you're paying for packaging, marketing, and branding. Don't kid yourself that you're actually paying that exorbitant price for their R&D, or that their R&D or the efficacy of their product has any more validity than that of a mom & pop type shop.

If I were in the market to try a new skincare product out, I'd be looking at NOTCH's products well before I'd check out Dr. Perricone's.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:31 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |