Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

FYI - An Article about Parabens
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:12 pm      Reply with quote
Parabens: Is The Danger Real?

As skin care products become more organic and natural, preservatives are needed to prevent the ingredients from spoiling. If a product is labeled “parabens-free,” it does not mean that it is preservative-free. There must be a preservative in products that contain natural or organic components to allow for shelf life, or the products will rot.

Parabens have a 50-year history as effective preservatives. This track record is the reason that many scientists and medical professionals absolutely believe that parabens are the best option for skin care formulations. Unfortunately, the newer preservatives have no track record, and may have unknown, or even worse, consequences.

But what exactly are Parabens, and why are they getting so much negative criticism?

First of all, parabens are actually derived from nature. In fact, ALL plants produce some natural preservative, often p-hydroxybenzoic acid. Certain plants, such as cucumbers, carrots, and olives, actually produce parabens to protect themselves from attacks by microorganisms. (Bach M et al, Plant Physiol, 103(2), 1993); (Aziz N et al, Microbios 93(374), 1998); Smith-Becker J et al, Plant Physiol, 116(1), 1998); (Dweck A, “Natural Preservatives”, Cosmet Toilet, Aug 2003).

This makes sense, since destruction by bacteria of a natural organic product is the same, whether the bacteria attacks a plant in the wild, or a botanical ingredient in a bottle.

According to the American Academy of Dermatology, “The best preservatives for sensitive skin are those containing parabens.” (2002 Prof Zoe Draelos, Summer Scientific Meeting, New York, AAD, 2002).

In fact, two common parabens, Methylparaben and Propylparaben, which are used widely in cosmetic skin products, are also used to preserve spices, black and green teas, beer, fruit juices, jams, and wine.

The US Food and Drug Administration, and other national agencies worldwide, have also approved parabens as a direct food additive in amounts ranging from 0.0001% to 0.10%. When we EAT vegetables that contain parabens naturally, they obviously enter the human body, are digested, and are eliminated in the urine. (Metcalf D, et al, Food Allergy: Adverse Reactions to Foods and Food Additives, Blackwell Scientific Publications, 1991).

We now live in an age where scare tactics and misleading information are used to market products. Frightening information, whether accurate or not, always gets headlines. Unfortunately, the more frightening and negative, the bigger the headline.

But remember, if a product is termed “parabens-free,” it does not mean it is preservative free. Every skin care product that has natural ingredients must have a preservative. If it is not a paraben, then it has to be another preservative. But the new preservatives have not been used nearly as long as parabens. In time, we may find out that these newer preservatives have serious side effects and consequences, which we do not know as of now.

In summary, remember:

1) Parabens are a naturally derived preservative. Plants produce parabens, naturally, to protect themselves from bacterial deterioration. We use them the same way to protect our skin products.

2) Parabens are a safe, FDA approved food preservative with a 50-year track record, and are used in almost all food items to prolong shelf life.

3) All skincare products must contain some type of preservative prevent bacterial growth, and to ensure shelf life. It is better to use parabens, which is a naturally derived, FDA approved preservative that has been used in food items for over 50 years, than a new, untested preservative with no long-term track record. Why take a chance on a new preservative that, in the future, may be shown to have dangerous side effects?

4) Skincare products that do contain parabens usually have them in minute concentrations.

http://kaplanmd.com/blog/2009/03/04/the-truth-about-parabens/
Determined
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:13 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you, Jom. Very interesting article.
NOTCH
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:16 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you jom for posting this breath of fresh air in an otherwise internet full of misinformation, rumors and hoaxes! This is the type of information that cosmetic consumers and users should be reading and remembering. It is the truth and as a cosmetic chemist, I couldn't agree with it more.

John

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:48 pm      Reply with quote
yeah i always wondered why many ppl are against paraben products
bciw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:43 pm      Reply with quote
organic/natural products often use the label "Paraben free"
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:02 am      Reply with quote
In my personal opinion, there is no reason to avoid parabens. But I can see why there is anxiety about them. Unfortunately, consumers have learned that government agencies cannot provide meaningful assurance about the safety and efficacy of cosmetic products. Worse yet, some unscrupulous manufacturers take advantage of the situation to promote useless or even worse than useless products. And, compounding this, sometimes consumers have been reassured that something is perfectly safe only to discover later that it is not. (The UK government's response to mad cow disease, for instance.)

I think this free-floating anxiety and skepticism gets concentrated by the Internet on a handful of ingredients that get (probably unfairly) demonized. But if we could be more confident as consumers that government agencies were better watchdogs and that all pharmaceutical and cosmetic companies were more candid about their products, I bet we'd see fewer "paraben scare" stories. Just my 2 cents...
popsicletoes

Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:27 pm      Reply with quote
With regard to parabens in mineral makeup in particular, it would seem to me that if a mineral makeup in the loose powder form was ACTUALLY just ground up rocks, (which is what i would be looking for) then there would be no need for preservatives, since organic refers to things that grow, yet parabens are in most of them. Why?

Also, most of the studies site that parabens are fine in small doses, but in the grand scheme of things, parabens, i have recently discovered, are found in most of the stuff in my bathroom. (Not to mention food, etc.) i am no scientist but if 2 + 2 = 4 then a little here plus a little there equals a lot in my body and therein lies the concern. What are the your thoughts on mass amounts over long periods of time and can you please address the hormone issues that are affected by parabens.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:29 pm      Reply with quote
Very interesting article, thanks!

33 yrs old - female - light brown hair with high lights - green eyes - medium/light skin tone yellow undertones : ROUTINE : (AM) Cold Water (PM) Facial Massage , OCM (1-2x Weekly) Home Facial (Monthly) Pro Facial ---- Things I am thinking about: Dermaroller, Facial Exercises, DIY Creams...JUST BOUGHT BABY Q POWER PACK -- Can't wait!
lilyofthevalley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:41 am      Reply with quote
Thank you jom. This is some information helpful. Now I now that parabens is not that "terrible", haha ~
zverenok
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:08 am      Reply with quote
I think that to your question why try something else/new? I'd tell you why not try something that's natural and you know it's not going to be worse than parabens? There are some very good natural preservatives, they are just waaaay more expensive than parabens. That's why.

I agree, some products may be new and untested, but does a 50-year track record prove it's safety? No. What if the statistical record of skin cancer is related to something like parabens? Just a what if....

Moreover, you can make your own products that do not need to last a year and do not require preservatives to such extent - that would be the healthier choice - you can customize your product, and ok, it will last you 3 months, and you can use less preservatives, and more healthier ones too.

Just my two cents.
NOTCH
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:08 pm      Reply with quote
zverenok, your "two cents" worth might end up costing you a lot more $$$ in doctor visits if you follow some of your comments.

First, yes, there are some natural preservatives. However, and this is fact, no natural preservative has found to be effective enough to fight off or kill all types of microbes including molds, fungus, bacteria, etc. If there was, I promise you there would be a mad rush of all the cosmetic houses in the world putting it in their products and talking about it! THAT is the reason they are not commonly used, not just the high cost that they represent. No cosmetic company (except for the "warm and fuzzy, feelgood") self-proclaimed all natural companies risk using them as the only preservative in a cosmetic.

Second, it only takes one dip of your finger, one "sneeze" next to the jar, one drip of faucet water...to get into a product to contaminate it. It's not a matter of time, or shelf life, it's a matter of cross contamination and when. And this can happen on day one of a product's use.

To "under preserve" ANY cosmetic product can be a dangerous thing. Nobody should have to go through pain and suffering from an infection picked up from an underpreserved cosmetic product.

...and don't forget, parabens ARE found in nature! They are in some plant life in very small amounts for the exact same reason they are in cosmetics, to fend off preditors and microbial invasion.

Hope this helps...

John

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:47 am      Reply with quote
I've mostly gotten rid of them in my lip products. The idea of ingesting them scares me, even though it may be unfounded.

I've heard BHT/BHA preservatives aren't so great either. Nor is d (I am too lazy to look up the spelling) urea, which is what Dan Kern replaced parabens with in his Acne.org regimen.

Who knows what to believe? The media bombards people nowadays with conflicting information. This causes cancer, and then the next week it doesn't, and the next week it does. You can never get a straight answer.

I try to buy products in airtight bottles, such as the Ren line. They don't use parabens yet everything is sealed really nicely in their containers.

Confusing stuff, I'll tell you.
nutella
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:11 pm      Reply with quote
Many people still don't like it when they see the ingredient list has Parabens.

I am okay with it. Smile

Thanks for sharing.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:37 am      Reply with quote
Hey guys,

have read two articles bout paraben that have gone in detail

http://www.skininc.com/skinscience/physiology/17480359.html?page=1

http://www.skininc.com/skinscience/ingredients/21411264.html?page=1
TheBaroness
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:50 am      Reply with quote
I just read about an ingredient called Phenoxyethanol that is supposedly used as a preservative and is toxic (causes brain and nervous system damage according to the article). Can anyone clear this up? I never know what to believe when I read all of these articles that come up on Google.

It looks like that's what MAC uses in their lipglasses as a preservative. They used to use parabens but I noticed they're not on the ingredients list anymore.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:29 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |