Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

glycerin question
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
mb935
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:58 pm      Reply with quote
My boss wants to know if you applied glycerin to your body and went to a highly humid area (say the desert) would the glycerin pull the moisture from your body.

Shes asking because she read glycerin pulls the moisture from wherever the moisture comes from. So if it pulls moisture from the air to the body I guess she wants to know if it work teh other way around???
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:27 pm      Reply with quote
mb935 wrote:
My boss wants to know if you applied glycerin to your body and went to a highly humid area (say the desert) would the glycerin pull the moisture from your body.

Shes asking because she read glycerin pulls the moisture from wherever the moisture comes from. So if it pulls moisture from the air to the body I guess she wants to know if it work teh other way around???

Hyaluronic acid definitely works that way, but I don't know about glycerin.

The desert is dry, so it would pull moisture from the skin. In a humid place (like a tropical rain forest) it would pull moisture from the air.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:32 pm      Reply with quote
That is absolutely true! It is a common mistake that many cosmetic formulators fall victim to when creating "moisturizing" products.

Glycerin is a humectant, and a very good one at that. It draws moisture to itself. When used in very small amounts in a formula, and when teamed with other moisturizers liked hydrolyzed jojoba esters, it can help create a 24 hour moisturizing product. An example: Gold Bond Ultimate Healing Lotion.

BUT...when added in an excessive amount to a formula with the mistaken idea that it will be a "better moisturizer", it can actually dry your skin out even further. It will draw moisture right out of your skin.

Be wary of "Moisturizing" products that use too much glycerin. They can, and will, dry your skin out further.

John

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:10 pm      Reply with quote
Glycerin is a humecent, it pulls moisture from the air or lower levels of the skin to the surface to your skin.
If you are in a dry area, like the desert, it will likely be very drying. Its not recommended to use 100% glycerin alone.
NOTCH
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:39 pm      Reply with quote
It's usually best to be at 4.0% or less loading of glycerin in any type of personal care product.

John

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:12 pm      Reply with quote
That may actually explain part of the reason why I have extreme dryness when using the STOP....the top ingredient in the treatment gel is glycerin. Shock

I don't treat my lips with the STOP unit, but some gel always gets on them...and they end up peeling for at least a week. Mad My home is quite dry because I keep the a/c at about 70 degrees around the clock, so it would make sense that it is pulling moisture from my lips. Mad

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:04 am      Reply with quote
Given that the STOP device is giving off heat and warming the skin - therefore making it slightly damp, what would be the effect of the glycerin in this scenario?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:46 am      Reply with quote
Glycerin is considered both a humectant and occlusive. here is a chart (you have to scroll down a bit):

http://www.skintypesolutions.com/newsletters/2008_12/index.html
NOTCH
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:43 pm      Reply with quote
That is a very nice link amonavis. I agree with almost everything that is in the info provided.

They did neglect to mention that both wax esters, and squalene are significant contributors to overall skin moisturization.

The overall profile of skin moisture agents (also known as sebum) is approximated by:
30.1% Free fatty acids
15.6% Squalene
27.7% Wax Esters
1.2% Cholesterol
27.7% Cholesterol Esters
very small amount of Ceramides

The best source of fatty acids, with the most similar fatty acid profile to the skin is Macadamia Oil.

Jojoba Oil is the one and only botanical based liquid wax ester.

And...Glycerin is indeed a humectant, but it is not an occlusive. Glycerin is readily soluble in water. Occlusives work by trapping or blocking moisture from leaving the skin. Occlusives are never soluble with water. Glycerin is not an "oily substance" as stated in the article, it is water soluble, not an oil. Try mixing petrolatum in water....won't go in will it? And by the way, the very best occlusive agent proven in clinical studies is jojoba esters, followed by petrolatum. But, getting back to Glycerin, in all the occlusive studies I've seen, Glycerin ranks at or near the bottom, since it freely mixes with water, it certainly doesn't trap it. Water, can flow in....or out of a glycerin based forumula depending on relative humidity, temperature conditions, and the load level of glycerin in the product.

John

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:47 pm      Reply with quote
OK I guess Dr Baumann, director of the cosmetic medicine and research institute at the University of Miami, and professor of Dermatology, is wrong.
NOTCH
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:56 pm      Reply with quote
There are many members of the Society of Cosmetic Chemists, and International Society of Cosmetic Chemists world wide that would be willing to debate this topic with her.

Humectants and Occlusives are mutually exclusive items, especially when talking about glycerin. It's like saying white and black are the same.

John

Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:38 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |