Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Recent comprehensive meta-study on research into skincare
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:48 am      Reply with quote
I came across this very recent comprehensive meta-study on a number of cosmeceutical skincare ingredients, including vitamin C, retinoids, oligo peptides and pentapeptides, arbutin, growth factors, and quite a few more. The article discusses the state of the scientific literature for each, including whether studies were double blind and random, meaning that neither the subject nor the researcher knew whether the subject was getting the tested ingredient or a placebo; or whether the study was open label, meaning that both the subject and the researcher knew what was being used.

The best part of the article, even more than its comprehensive summary of the research, is that is has a bibliography containing citations to all of the studies incorporated into the meta-study--nearly 200 in all. So if you want to know the current state of the scientific literature on many of the active ingredients used in skncare, here it is.

The title of the paper is "Cosmeceutical Agents: A Comprehensive Review of the Literature," by TC Tsai and BM Hantash, in Clinical Medicine: Dermatology, 2008 1, 1-20- la-press.com

I found the entire paper in PDF at

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&lr=&cites=11772805916842476468
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:55 am      Reply with quote
Very interesting find...thanks for sharing.

I just printed it and will read it later today. If I see anything that is really surprising, I'll post some quotes.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:13 pm      Reply with quote
Flit, that was a GREAT article!

This is a must read for anyone who wants a better understanding of all of the primary categories of cosmeceuticals, as well as more insight into what really has research behind it and what doesn't.

I'm reading it AGAIN tonight. Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:18 pm      Reply with quote
Yes please share! It takes forever to download on my computer...

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:07 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
Very interesting find...thanks for sharing.

I just printed it and will read it later today. If I see anything that is really surprising, I'll post some quotes.

Thanks Flitcraft for bringing this on-board and thanks to Bethany for offering to post some of the good stuff. Bless ya!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:15 pm      Reply with quote
Flitcraft, this was a great find. Thanks for sharing. I thought the information was very enlightening on several of the ingredients and results. Can I ask how you came to find this? Were you searching for something specific?
tsjmom
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:53 am      Reply with quote
Bethany, flitcraft, and rileygirl - can you please post anything informative, new, helpful, interesting for us?

46, curly dk blonde hair, fair, blue eyes, very oily T-zone. HGs: Tazorac .05% gel; Avene/Bioderma s/s (very high spf AND ppd); Cellbone vit Cie 20%; Cellbone Hyperpeptides; IFP 5% bha/10% aha; Obagi Clear; 'curly girl' method (no poo, just co wash) for my 3b curls.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:12 am      Reply with quote
I don't think the information was anything earth shattering or new for that fact.

There were 2 things I found interesting for myself.

One was that "Salicylic Acid was shown to enhance the effect of bleaching agents like hydroquinone". And, that "weekly 30% SA peels used for 8 weeks were shown to improve the appearance of melasma, PIH, postacne scars, fine lines, and wrinkles".

The other thing I found interesting was that "Unlike RA (retin a), GA (glycolic acid) does not induce angiogenesis and neovascularization in the dermis. This can be exploited for patients suffering from photo-induced telangiectasia or rosacea, conditions were RA is contraindicated".
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:26 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
I don't think the information was anything earth shattering or new for that fact.

Yep...I agree. I think the article is a great overview, and confirms what actually has research behind it and what does not. People should actually read the whole article from an information standpoint, but there was nothing that blew away from a "new news" standpoint.

I found the discussion of Retin A vs. Retinols to be interesting...
- Excess levels of Retin A cannot be stored in the skin, and the signs of irritation and peeling are due to levels being too high
- Some research shows that retinols can perform as well as Retin A, but it was the author's opinion that the retinols far underperformed Retin A. (Bethany: I assume this depends on the level of retinol in the product, and many OTCs have low amounts)

I also came away with a new appreciation for glycolic acid, and what improvements can come from daily low level usage (like 5%)...like a reduction in pigmentation, fine lines, etc.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:43 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
I also came away with a new appreciation for glycolic acid, and what improvements can come from daily low level usage (like 5%)...like a reduction in pigmentation, fine lines, etc.

I agree! If I wasn't on 302, I would definitely go back on a GA product!
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:01 am      Reply with quote
For me, the value of the article was threefold. First, it summarizes all the clinical research on most of the active skincare ingredients and disaggregates them by type: double blind or not, number of participants, method of assessment (subjective or objective measuring), and whether the study was done on human volunteers or on animals. Second, it discusses the probable scientific mechanism explaining how and why the ingredient does what it does (or speculates, where this is still unknown. It also suggests some biochemical problems with potential efficacy of certain ingredients--particularly large molecule actives--and discusses how those agents might be made more likely to penetrate the skin. Third, it helps consumers make choices by comparing efficacy of different things for specific problems--acne, line lines, hyperpigmentation, etc.

I recommend it as a good all-around source of the current state of scientific knowledge about skincare products for those like me who are inclined to make our choices on that basis.

Incidentally, I found it while procrastinating on Google Scholar--I was supposed to be looking for citations for a paper I am editing, and was goofing off looking up information on skincare instead...
tsjmom
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:44 am      Reply with quote
Thanks ladies. I do intend to read it, just didn't have the time at the moment. (and, yeah, I was being a little lazy Rolling Eyes )

46, curly dk blonde hair, fair, blue eyes, very oily T-zone. HGs: Tazorac .05% gel; Avene/Bioderma s/s (very high spf AND ppd); Cellbone vit Cie 20%; Cellbone Hyperpeptides; IFP 5% bha/10% aha; Obagi Clear; 'curly girl' method (no poo, just co wash) for my 3b curls.
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:19 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:

There were 2 things I found interesting for myself.

One was that "Salicylic Acid was shown to enhance the effect of bleaching agents like hydroquinone". And, that "weekly 30% SA peels used for 8 weeks were shown to improve the appearance of melasma, PIH, postacne scars, fine lines, and wrinkles".

The other thing I found interesting was that "Unlike RA (retin a), GA (glycolic acid) does not induce angiogenesis and neovascularization in the dermis. This can be exploited for patients suffering from photo-induced telangiectasia or rosacea, conditions were RA is contraindicated".

I haven't read the article yet, I'm in the process of printing it out but I have a few questions about terminology:

"Unlike RA (retin a), GA (glycolic acid) does not induce angiogenesis (WHAT's THIS? Question Confused ) and neovascularization (HUH? Question Confused )in the dermis. This can be exploited for patients suffering from photo-induced telangiectasia (HUH? Question Confused ) or rosacea, conditions were RA is contraindicated"

Laughing
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:21 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:

This confirms my experience with glycolic acid. I have been using a product called Formula 2006 for the past year. It contains glycolic and salicyic acids (though I don't know in what percentages) and it has really helped even my skin tone and diminish brown sunspots.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:50 pm      Reply with quote
flitcraft wrote:
It also suggests some biochemical problems with potential efficacy of certain ingredients--particularly large molecule actives--and discusses how those agents might be made more likely to penetrate the skin.

That's a good point...the author also discussed growth factors. There was very little evidence tha they work Sad , and they can actually have negative consequences like furthering tumor growth. Shock (I think Flitcraft actually mentioned that some time ago)

The author also mentioned that one of the one common growth factor petides that supposedly penetrates better (as found in the ZO and Estion GFS products) could be easily tested, but the manufacturer nor the skincare companies have done the testing.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:54 pm      Reply with quote
jom wrote:
bethany wrote:

This confirms my experience with glycolic acid. I have been using a product called Formula 2006 for the past year. It contains glycolic and salicyic acids (though I don't know in what percentages) and it has really helped even my skin tone and diminish brown sunspots.

http://www.drfrancesprennajones.com/products.html

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:59 pm      Reply with quote
jom wrote:
I haven't read the article yet, I'm in the process of printing it out but I have a few questions about terminology:

"Unlike RA (retin a), GA (glycolic acid) does not induce angiogenesis (WHAT's THIS? Question Confused ) and neovascularization (HUH? Question Confused )in the dermis. This can be exploited for patients suffering from photo-induced telangiectasia (HUH? Question Confused ) or rosacea, conditions were RA is contraindicated"

Laughing

Angiogenesis is the development of new blood vessels...Retin A promotes this, and it can make your skin red/pink. That's ok, unless you are TOO red.

Neovascularization is development of new blood vessels in unsual places...like the cornea of your eye.

Telangiectasia is bigger than normal blood vessels...which means more redness.

So basically they are saying that GA can be used in cases where someone is already suffering from excessive redness, while RA would just makes things look even redder.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:33 pm      Reply with quote
Yep, angiogenesis = capillary formation

neovascularization = formation of new blood vessels.

telangiectasia = broken caps
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:43 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Bethany and rileygirl!
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:29 pm      Reply with quote
The only other thing I took away from this article, besides those already mentioned, is that Vitamin C may help with stretch marks. And, 20% glycolic acid combined with either Retin A or Vitamin C, zinc sulfate and tyrosine showed a clinical improvement of stretch marks.
rubby
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:48 pm      Reply with quote
The article is gone!! Sad
Any chance someone has it saved and could send it to me as an attachment?
Many thanks,
R.

44, oily T-zone, acne prone (PCOS) ~ Baby Q & Tanda (blue light) ~ Karin Herzog (Oxy Face, Vita-A-Kombi 2, Vitamin H, Eye cream) ~ PSF (Cramberry Eye Gel) ~ Pearl/Silk powder primer and mist ~ L2K ~ MMU
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:53 pm      Reply with quote
rubby wrote:
The article is gone!! Sad
Any chance someone has it saved and could send it to me as an attachment?
Many thanks,
R.

Try this link

http://www.la-press.com/article.php?article_id=911
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:32 am      Reply with quote
I was doing some housecleaning this morning and found my hard copy printout of this great article.

Do any of us before that any of this is outdated or there is anything significant needed to update it?

Thanks BFG
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:33 am      Reply with quote
I am sorry, I think faster than I type.

Do any of us *believe* this info is outdated or there is anything of significance to add to it?

Gracias, BFG
DrJ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:32 pm      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
I am sorry, I think faster than I type.

Do any of us *believe* this info is outdated or there is anything of significance to add to it?

Gracias, BFG

The paper is an excellent review of the evidence base, but is not current. All citations are older than 2007, so that's when it was written (takes ~6-8 months to get published). Five years is like a quarter of a lifetime in regenerative medicine.

Good on retinol, but lacks reviews of more recent literature on non-RA rx's. Salicylates & acne - not much new, buyt other acne actives starting to appear (e.g. boron). Good on ceramides,

Paper is written to emphasize the state of the evidence base, looking for definitive independent studies. Hard to find those, mainly because the NIH does not award grants for wrinkle studies. However, does a good job of tying together wound healing (grantable) vs wrinkles.

The world of growth factors and cytokines was new back than, so not much on that. Only mentions a few e.g. TGF, EGF, KGF. There are hundreds to consider.

Overall excellent. But not timely.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:17 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |