Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Has anyone done TCA peel at home?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:06 pm      Reply with quote
Can you share how you do it? Whole face? Spot treatment? Why does the booklet say if you have herpes simplex to not use it? I don't have it but just curious on why it's related!
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:36 pm      Reply with quote
I have done them at home. Working quickly and evenly I applied with a large qtip to entire face. I also set a timer and made sure I had the neutralizer ready to go.

You will want to be careful to apply evenly, starting off with a low %, and research as much as you can before starting.

You can do damage to your skin if not applied evenly or left on too long. TCA does sting and does have a recovery period, IME is was about 10 days till I finished peeling.

The herpes warning is because it can activate the virus because the peel is getting deep into the skin. There are other treatments that also include this waning.
bciw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:44 pm      Reply with quote
I haven't but you can read up on scalawaggirl's posts and her TCA experience on past threads.

There's a chance that u could rupture the fluid-filled blisters and spread the virus to other parts.

Quote:
Why does the booklet say if you have herpes simplex to not use it? I don't have it but just curious on why it's related!
stephanie128
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:26 pm      Reply with quote
I do them at home. I used a low strength to begin with, however, I am now able to use a higher strength. The first few days my skin feels really tight and then on days 3,4,5 it starts to peel. It does look pretty awful when it is peeling (like sunburn). However, once it has peeled my skin is lovely and smooth underneath.

I buy my TCa from Ebay, and it works out much cheaper than spending a lot getting them done by a derm. However, you do have to be careful and do a patch test, wear spf afterwards etc...

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:20 pm      Reply with quote
stephanie, did you have the "downtime" with the lower % TCA peels, as well, or just with the higher %?
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:48 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks all for responding! I was wondering what % strength everyone started off with. Then what strength are you on now? How do you know which strength is adequate? Is TCA strong enough for body skin? I wonder if I can use it to peel my stomach skin to hopefully peel off stretch marks. Is this wishful thinking?
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:49 pm      Reply with quote
GirlieGirl wrote:
I have done them at home. Working quickly and evenly I applied with a large qtip to entire face. I also set a timer and made sure I had the neutralizer ready to go.

You will want to be careful to apply evenly, starting off with a low %, and research as much as you can before starting.

You can do damage to your skin if not applied evenly or left on too long. TCA does sting and does have a recovery period, IME is was about 10 days till I finished peeling.

The herpes warning is because it can activate the virus because the peel is getting deep into the skin. There are other treatments that also include this waning.

GirlieGirl, how much time did you set on the timer? How did you ensure even application? TIA!
kdd2411
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:00 am      Reply with quote
I would just advise you to be careful if you do it at home. When I attempted it a few years ago it really messed my skin up and gave me acne, which I have never had. It took a few months to fix my skin back to normal.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 17, 2009 8:01 am      Reply with quote
HI ALL!! I guess I'm doing what's called "Bumping" this thread. I've been searching through some posts/threads on TCA peels and have got a few questions. Right now, I don't want to do one on my face (I'm currently doing Obagi Nuderm) but I really hate the way my hands look and was wondering about using a peel for them. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions? Thanks!!

My apologies if this has already been addressed. If so, just point me in the right direction! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 17, 2009 11:05 am      Reply with quote
I just ordered TCA from MUAC... I'm gonna start with 8% and then go up.

My idea would be to be able to do a medium peel by December... but I still need to do lots of research before embarking in the medium peels.

For now I'll stick to superficial peels and see how it goes.
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 17, 2009 12:51 pm      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
HI ALL!! I guess I'm doing what's called "Bumping" this thread. I've been searching through some posts/threads on TCA peels and have got a few questions. Right now, I don't want to do one on my face (I'm currently doing Obagi Nuderm) but I really hate the way my hands look and was wondering about using a peel for them. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions? Thanks!!

My apologies if this has already been addressed. If so, just point me in the right direction! Smile

Hi kims,

Your post gives me an idea since I'm leery to try it on my face. I want to try it on my body like stomach. I wonder if anyone has tried TCA peel on the stomach area (or hands for Kims's question).

Thanks!
Josee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 17, 2009 2:43 pm      Reply with quote
Bira wrote:
Thanks all for responding! I was wondering what % strength everyone started off with. Then what strength are you on now? How do you know which strength is adequate? Is TCA strong enough for body skin? I wonder if I can use it to peel my stomach skin to hopefully peel off stretch marks. Is this wishful thinking?

From what I've read you...

a. Should start conditioning your skin with Retin-A or smiliar for best results

b. You should do at least a medium-depth peel for stretch marks. The way to go for a medium peel is to first apply either Jessner's soultion (or Glycolic Acid) and then a 35% TCA peel.
Doing a medium-depth peel this way (in 2 steps) is better than doing a higher concentration of TCA, since higher concentrations of TCA are associated with side effects (like dyschromias, scarring, etc.)

The other thing is that skin injury, inflammation, etc. are all triggers for herpes. So if you have had herpes in the past, when you do your peel there's a risk that you will get an active lesion. For this, it is recommended that you start taking valacyclovir a couple of days before (and continue after) the peel.

I hope this helps.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 17, 2009 3:12 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Josee,
Quick question: Do you do the Jessner's and the 35% at the same time or on two separate occasions? Thanks!

Also, as far as at home peels go, where is the best place to purchase?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 17, 2009 9:18 pm      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
Hi Josee,
Quick question: Do you do the Jessner's and the 35% at the same time or on two separate occasions? Thanks!

Also, as far as at home peels go, where is the best place to purchase?

You are supposed to use the Jessner and the TCA one after the other (first let the Jessner act, then the TCA).

I haven't done this yet BTW I'm only starting with peels and medium-depth peels are not something I'm willing to take any chances on!

I don't have my laptop here (which is where I'm compiling my peel documents!) but what I remember is that for medium depth peels you really HAVE to prepare your skin some weeks in advance and you should also be familiar with the frosting levels of the TCA peel to be sure you don't go overboard.

I am thinking of starting superficial level ones during the summer and then during the winter (less UV) try a medium-depth.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 18, 2009 4:39 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Josee,
Right now, I'd like to try a peel on my hands and possibly forearms, but it still makes me a little nervous. I am prepping with retinols as I'm trying to get the skin in the best shape possible.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 19, 2009 4:31 am      Reply with quote
Here's an informative link regarding chemical peels:

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1125365-overview

Also some valuable information from veteran "peelers" on the MMH message board:

http://messageboards.makemeheal.com/viewforum.php?f=20&sid=7d68dee0de2e20b30bf46d8b219594f1
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 19, 2009 12:33 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Determined,
Thanks for the websites. I did read over both and they were helpful. One person on MMH had just done a peel on her hands and forearms -- like I'm thinking about doing. I'll just keep doing my research! Thanks Again!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 25, 2009 10:03 am      Reply with quote
OK, I'm going to take the plunge! I purchased a 25% TCA peel and I'm going to try it out on my hands. I've been using a retinol product in preparation so I guess I'm as ready as I'll ever be! I'm planning on doing it tonight, so I'll be sure and post results. Wish me luck! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 25, 2009 5:59 pm      Reply with quote
I think doing your hands is GREAT idea.

Don't assume that if there is no peeling right away that it didn't work. It can take up to three days for the skin to safely lift off...

After about a week or 10 days, you can probably assist with peeling with mild manual exfoliation.

Use a nice moisturzing lotion/oil.

SUNSCREEN - Don't go and burn or expose fresh skin to UVA/UVB. (I worry about driving... keep some extra sunscreen in the car for hands...)

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 25, 2009 6:28 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Claudia,
Thanks for the info -- very helpful! My hands have always bothered me and now that I'm well into my 40's the sun damage is really showing up. It wasn't until recently that I even thought about sunscreen for my hands. Nowadays, I even put sunscreen on the tops of my feet when I wear sandals!! Laughing

BTW, have you ever used a TCA peel on your hands?

Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:53 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |