Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
1st Time with Dermtologist - Nervous
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
MystyPines
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:02 am      Reply with quote
Well, after 5 years of being with this skincare forum, and getting such great advice, I finally made my 1st appointment with a Dermatologist which is in 2 hours. I am nervous. I am not very keen on doctors. Anyway, I am finally going to get the small brown patch on my left orbital bone area looked at (which appeared 2 years ago and I associate with using Retinalyde, but who knows). See what the Derm says about it and what they can do for it. All I ask is that it is not cancerous. After that, I want to inquire about Botox and Restlyane. The Derm's office told me that it would be $150 just for the consultation today, so I guess the Derm may not actually do anything to my skin today? Not sure.

Any advice you can give as to what questions I should be asking the Dermatologits today, since I expect I will be having a regular skin relationship with them.

Thanks!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:23 am      Reply with quote
Oh, that is exciting. Don't be nervous! The only advice I can think of is making a list of some skin questions/concerns you have about your particular skin so that you don't forget anything. Have fun and report back on how your visit went! Very Happy
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:28 am      Reply with quote
Good for you for going. Make a list of your questions, even its only a few, its easy to forget things you wanted to ask when you are there (I always do this for any dr appt).

They may do some procedure today, if you want them, if they have the time. They likely they will do a biospy today if need.
MystyPines
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:59 am      Reply with quote
Well, I just got back from the Dermatologist, and the spot is a sun spot (damage). The Derm prescribed me Finacea (Azaelic Acid Gel 15%) to put on my face in the morning and Atralin (Tretinoin Gel 0.05%) to put on at night, since I told her I have been battling mild acne all my life.

She was very nice and informative too. Although the Tretinoin seems on the low percentage at 0.05%, since I have used in the past Avene Retinalyde 0.05% and Avene Retrinal Cream 0.1%. I gave her a list of my current skincare regimen and products -- she was impressed! LOL! I told her I belonged to this forum for 5 years and learned alot about skincare.

There were a lot of brochures on Juvederm, Restylane and Botox in her office. I asked her about possibly getting Restylane and Botox in the next few months. She seemed to like Juvederm better than Restlyane, she said it was thicker and filled the areas better, and lasted longer. She said 90% of her patients have Juvederm. I asked whether she did Restylane for the under eye hollows. She said yes. So, I will probably have Botox in the forehead, Juvederm in the nasolabial folds and Restylane in the undereye area.

I see this as a start to a long and beautiful relationship! LOL!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:35 pm      Reply with quote
Oh how I envy you. I guess private health care has it's benefits (I'm Canadian so it's public). First of all I have to beg for a referral from my gp. Then I get around 15 minutes with the derm. Who in my experience was okay but not willing to explain anything to me. Basically they throw a script at you, kick you out and make a 3 month follow up appointment. I have to make another appt (have a weird thing on my elbow) but geeze louise so much red tape to get into one and that's with a serious history of skin cancer in my family!!
If anyone knows a good dermatologist in Vancouver give me a shout. I may make a topic about this as I find it sooo frustrating. Good thing you guys are around or I'd be clueless about taking care of my skin.

Apologies for the rant.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:16 pm      Reply with quote
That sounds like a great visit, Mystypines! That is great that the derm spent time explaining things to you. Good luck with what she put you on!
MystyPines
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:32 am      Reply with quote
Okay, I guess there is one question I forgot to ask the doctor. I was so busy listening to the doctor's instructions on when and how to use the Tretinoin and Finacea, that I forgot to ask what the Finacea is for?

He said to put in on my entire face every morning. I researched Finacea (Azaelic Acid Gel 15%) and it says it is for Rosacea? I don't have Rosacea. In fact other than the 5 pimples I have on my face right now, my skin is very pale white. Anyone know why the doctor would have prescribed this for me to use along with the Tretinoin? Do you think it is for the brown sun spot on my face?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:27 pm      Reply with quote
I would call the derm tomorrow and ask, that is the best way of knowing.
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:10 pm      Reply with quote
MystyPines wrote:
Okay, I guess there is one question I forgot to ask the doctor. I was so busy listening to the doctor's instructions on when and how to use the Tretinoin and Finacea, that I forgot to ask what the Finacea is for?

He said to put in on my entire face every morning. I researched Finacea (Azaelic Acid Gel 15%) and it says it is for Rosacea? I don't have Rosacea. In fact other than the 5 pimples I have on my face right now, my skin is very pale white. Anyone know why the doctor would have prescribed this for me to use along with the Tretinoin? Do you think it is for the brown sun spot on my face?

Just call them back and ask! You already paid the fee. If you want to get your answer quickly, I'm sure you can google it, too, but better to just talk to the derm. Glad it went well for you.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:29 pm      Reply with quote
MystyPines wrote:

I know that some derms use it for acne, and for discoloration (your brown spot). I agree with the other posters though; I would call your derm so you know why she put you on it!
doodles
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:38 pm      Reply with quote
Azelaic acid is used to fade hyperpigmentation and red marks. It is also used for acne treatment. Tretinoin .05% is much, much stronger than Avene Retinalyde 0.05% and Avene Retrinal Cream 0.1%. HTH.
MystyPines
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:52 am      Reply with quote
Thanks gals!

I didn't realize Azelaic acid was a fading product. I thought it was an anti-inflammation product for Rosceea. Thanks so much for the info.!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:34 am      Reply with quote
Here's what the official Finacea site says:

Quote:
FINACEA is unique. It is the first prescription gel approved by the FDA for treating the redness, bumps, and pimples associated with mild to moderate rosacea.

So, you are right, MystyPines, it is typically prescribed for rosacea. From other posts I have read, though, quite a few EDS'ers are successfully using it it treat acne.

On the other hand, I was extremely pleased to discover, as doodles stated, that it faded the hyperpigmentation as well! Metrogel did absolutely nothing for me, and I read somewhere that it may take a few months of use to see results. Finacea, on the other hand, gave results within days! My chin has reduced redness, bumps, and clogged pores after only one week of regular use. Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:50 am      Reply with quote
MystyPines wrote:
Well, I just got back from the Dermatologist, and the spot is a sun spot (damage). The Derm prescribed me Finacea (Azaelic Acid Gel 15%) to put on my face in the morning and Atralin (Tretinoin Gel 0.05%) to put on at night, since I told her I have been battling mild acne all my life.

She was very nice and informative too. Although the Tretinoin seems on the low percentage at 0.05%, since I have used in the past Avene Retinalyde 0.05% and Avene Retrinal Cream 0.1%. I gave her a list of my current skincare regimen and products -- she was impressed! LOL! I told her I belonged to this forum for 5 years and learned alot about skincare.

There were a lot of brochures on Juvederm, Restylane and Botox in her office. I asked her about possibly getting Restylane and Botox in the next few months. She seemed to like Juvederm better than Restlyane, she said it was thicker and filled the areas better, and lasted longer. She said 90% of her patients have Juvederm. I asked whether she did Restylane for the under eye hollows. She said yes. So, I will probably have Botox in the forehead, Juvederm in the nasolabial folds and Restylane in the undereye area.

I see this as a start to a long and beautiful relationship! LOL!

Just curious, why the Restylane and Juvederm both, why not Juvederm in NL folds AND undereye area?

That way, if you require a bit less in one area, you will usually have to purchase one kind.

For instance, I had Juvey in NL folds and undereyes, and it used up 1 vial. I would imagine if he had used both kinds, I might have been charged more, since he would have had to open each vial.

Just a thought....maybe it's different with different Drs.
yjuliao

Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:12 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using skinceuticals .5 night retinol with no bad reactions, but after 6 months, I think I need a little more, so I'm going to switch to Avene Retrinal, but not sure which moisturizer to use. I'm currently using Clarins Hydraquench, which isn't that bad, but with the Avene, I think it might not be enough moisturizing. I've looked into Nia 24 Skin Strengthening Complex, but not sure if that's wise. Worried it might be too much? Any recommendation I would greatly appreciate.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:09 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |