Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Starting Obagi Nu-Derm today...self-tanner question!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:00 pm      Reply with quote
Hello Everyone! This is my very first post to the forum! I've been reading with lots of interest about everyone's experiences with Obagi Nu Derm and I am now in my 11th day. I've been experiencing a lot of the same: redness, flakiness, peeling, etc. and I am also excited to see my progress. A bit about myself: I am 46 years old with lots of hyperpigmentation, acne scars, and large pores. I can't remember a time in my life when my skin was ever pretty. I have high hopes with Obagi!! It is definitely not for the faint of heart. My question: I seem to be "uncovering" new sun spots since starting the system along with small red dots especially with using the retin a. Has anyone had this issue? I look forward to corresponding with everyone!
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:11 pm      Reply with quote
Welcome KIMS! I'm on Day 18 today and have noticed some red marks I didn't have before Obagi Nu Derm. Since Day 9, I haven't been as red and peely- mostly, just peel around the mouth. I'm so glad you joined the forum so we can go on the Nu Derm ride together!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:40 pm      Reply with quote
Hi c4ward! I'm so glad to hear from someone. Posting on forums is all new to me and I wasn't e xactly sure where to begin. It'll be fun to follow the Obagi journey together. I'm wondering if the new red spots could be buried hyperpigmentation problems that are being brought to the surface with the regime? If that's the case, then hopefully we'll just get rid of all of it!! Good luck and keep me posted!
kim Very Happy
jadereneabby
5% products discount

Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:27 am      Reply with quote
Welcome, Kims! I had the red spots, too...so I do think they must be part of the process. I'm not seeing them as often now. I'm with you...I think Obagi "uncovers" a lot of hidden markings that were just waiting under the skin (sort of like those infrared pictures people have made at the derms to show hidden sun damage).

Glad to have you onboard for our journey!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:44 am      Reply with quote
I think you're right! At least, I'm hoping the red spots are/would have been "future" sun damage that just hadn't presented itself yet. I've read tons of info regarding Obagi and other users experiences, but few people have mentioned worsened pigmentation.
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:57 am      Reply with quote
I have read some peoples pigment gets darker before it gets lighter. I think that's a normal reaction.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:55 pm      Reply with quote
I havent heard of darkening pigmentation except with unproceted sun exposure

...remember HQ and retin A cause photosensitivity and darkening with uprotected sun exposure - sun BLOCK and sun screen at all times!!!
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:28 pm      Reply with quote
I've been religiously using sunscreen/sunblock even before starting Obagi, so I'm really surprised that my pigmentation problems have appeared to worsen. I guess I'll stick it out and see what comes of it in the next few days!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:48 pm      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
I've been religiously using sunscreen/sunblock even before starting Obagi, so I'm really surprised that my pigmentation problems have appeared to worsen. I guess I'll stick it out and see what comes of it in the next few days!

kims, there are many whose pigmentation appears to get darker in the early phase of Nu Derm before starting to fade. Don't worry. As long as you are using the products correctly and wearing your sunscreen every day, you will see the pigmentation starting to fade. What you are seeing is normal.
isa09
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:22 pm      Reply with quote
that is interesting,
RileyGirl,
you are definately the "go to girl". thanks
jadereneabby
5% products discount

Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:49 pm      Reply with quote
Day 30 sucked! Okay...so I do not have acne-prone skin. In fact, I get exactly ONE pimple per month...exactly ONE day before my period. That means that 7 days ago I should have had ONE pimple. Instead, I was clear as a bell 7 days ago...and today...out of nowhere...I wake up with SEVEN pimples! These are big, red, under-the-skin, painful pimples (the kind I get one of maybe once-per-year).

WTH????

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:09 pm      Reply with quote
Jadereneabby,
How horrible! If they're really bothering you, you could go to a dermatologist and get cortisone shots. So sorry.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:36 pm      Reply with quote
jadereneabby,
I've heard of people breaking out with Obagi -- process of ridding the skin of all impurities from deep within??? But if you're not acne prone, is this type of breakout expected or normal? Does anyone know? I'm on Day 14 with no miraculous results yet. Having had serious acne through my early 20's, I'm wondering if I'm going to experience a breakout too! Crying or Very sad
jadereneabby
5% products discount

Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:50 pm      Reply with quote
Update...this isn't acne. These are more like insect bites, but I haven't been around any insects. I'm starting to wonder if it isn't some odd allergic reaction (although it makes no sense to react 30 days into the process). I'm very confused. Now I have more like 15 bumps. I'm avoiding using the Exfoderm right now since my skin is trying to deal with these bumps. Arrrrgggghhhhh!!

5% products discount

Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:25 pm      Reply with quote
Question for the group...I just don't feel like the Obagi sunscreen (the one I put on after sunfader) is doing a good enough job. Is anyone using anything else in place of it? I also tried the ZO sunscreen and primer, but with all the flakes right now--I would prefer something non-tinted. I am working so hard to fade these spots, I want to make sure that my sunscreen isn't sabotaging my efforts!!
Thanks, Erica

Sorry, forgot to add that I live in Texas--so sunscreen is even MORE important!!!

5% products discount

Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:27 pm      Reply with quote
Jadereneabby,
Definitely a derm visit! That sounds horrible...I am thinking with you also, 30 days into it is a little late for an allergic reaction!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:24 pm      Reply with quote
elwyatt wrote:
Question for the group...I just don't feel like the Obagi sunscreen (the one I put on after sunfader) is doing a good enough job. Is anyone using anything else in place of it? I also tried the ZO sunscreen and primer, but with all the flakes right now--I would prefer something non-tinted. I am working so hard to fade these spots, I want to make sure that my sunscreen isn't sabotaging my efforts!!
Thanks, Erica

Sorry, forgot to add that I live in Texas--so sunscreen is even MORE important!!!

elwyatt, you are using the sunfader and then another obagi sunscreen on top?

I used the Dr. Lewinn's sunscreen when I was on Nu Derm. It is a thick paste, and goes on white, but after 5-10 minutes it was fine. It is a little greasy but it works great. You can use whatever sunscreen you like on top of the nu derm products. But, I don't think I would use the sunfader underneath. Just pick 1 sunscreen to use.

jadereneabby, you need to see your derm regarding those bumps. So sorry you have having that trouble. I have not heard of that happening before. Please post what you find out from your derm.
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:18 am      Reply with quote
Hello. It's Day 23 for me, and I'm wondering if I'll be red the full 18 weeks. I know I'm going to peel, but it would be so nice to turn a normal color. I don't use foundation and don't think it would work anyways with the flakes. I have had a few people tell me my skin looks better, but I'm hoping the red subsides. It has gotten less red since Day 10 which seems to have been my major red, peel, and itchy day. The changes are subtle. I have less fine lines around my eyes and my forehead wrinkle has diminished. My pores are a bit smaller and my skin has no huge, blotchy freckles.I already feel like I've hit the jackpot doing Obagi, and it's only been a little more than three weeks.I just hope the red goes down. Any insight would be appreciated! Coleen (C4ward)

5% products discount

Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:20 am      Reply with quote
Good news...well, sort of. I went to the doctor today, and the Obagi has NOTHING to do with my bumps (that's the good part)!

The bad part is...this is poison ivy! It seems that when our long-haired house cat escaped two weekends ago, he went through poison ivy bushes and got the oil all over his long hair. When he returned home 24 hours later, he proceeded to rub the oil on things like...oh, I don't know...my PILLOW! Grrrrrrr!

However, 2 shots (one of which burned like hell!!) and 2 presriptions later...I should be much better by Monday.

The Obagi downside is I haven't been able to use my products for the past 4 days (and probably won't start again for 3 more). That makes for a full week interruption! Does that mean I'll be starting all over??? *sniffle*

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:06 am      Reply with quote
Jadereneabby,
I'm so glad it wasn't the Nu Derm causing your welts. Who would ever think you could get poison ivy that way? Probably your cats long fur protected it (I hope). I don't think it'll put you right back at square one having had this interruption, but will probably add a couple weeks to your program. Mostly, I'm glad you got to the bottom of it and took care of it. Here's to your healing! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:07 pm      Reply with quote
c4ward wrote:
Hello. It's Day 23 for me, and I'm wondering if I'll be red the full 18 weeks. I know I'm going to peel, but it would be so nice to turn a normal color. I don't use foundation and don't think it would work anyways with the flakes. I have had a few people tell me my skin looks better, but I'm hoping the red subsides. It has gotten less red since Day 10 which seems to have been my major red, peel, and itchy day. The changes are subtle. I have less fine lines around my eyes and my forehead wrinkle has diminished. My pores are a bit smaller and my skin has no huge, blotchy freckles.I already feel like I've hit the jackpot doing Obagi, and it's only been a little more than three weeks.I just hope the red goes down. Any insight would be appreciated! Coleen (C4ward)

Hi Coleen, I was thinking that for your redness maybe you could try a zinc-based sunscreen. The zinc helps with the redness. I've been looking into them myself lately because I just started using Retin A and I want to make sure I am completely protected and I don't want to use a chemical sunscreen. I am currently using Epicuren's zinc oxide sunscreen which has 17% zinc oxide. http://www.beautynhealth.com/epicuren-uv-protection/epicuren-zinc-oxide-spf-20-2-5-oz I like it a lot but I'm almost done with it and I always like to try new things so I've been looking into some other zinc-based sunscreens. Here are some others I'm thinking about:

Soleo Organics - it has 22.3% zinc oxide
http://www.soleousa.com/#app=f8f5&9fdb-selectedIndex=1&49b9-selectedIndex=1

Invisible Zinc - it has 18% zinc oxide
http://www.adorebeauty.com.au/adorebeauty/product/3817/Invisible+Zinc+Daywear+SPF30%2B

Pratima Sunscreen - it has 18.6% zinc oxide
http://www.vertla.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=VLA&Product_Code=316&Category_Code=Pratima

and the current frontrunner with 31% zinc oxide is Image SkinCare Solar Defense Organic SPF 30
http://store.skincarebyalana.com/servlet/-strse-463/Image-SkinCare-Solar-Defense/Detail

Also worth looking into is the 302 Skincare recovery minerals which is a SPF 30 powder sunscreen which has both titanium dioxide and zinc oxide and is supposed to be good for rosacea so would probably help with redness.
http://www.302skincare.com/products_rmintrans.html
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:03 pm      Reply with quote
Wow Jom! Thanks for the suggestions and references. I'm definitely going to try it. Does the Zo Sunscreen have zinc?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:08 pm      Reply with quote
Great news, jaderneabby! You won't be starting all over. You will need to add 1 more week on to make sure you get a total of 18 weeks.

C4ward, you very well may be red the entire time. I was. People always wanted to know if my BP was high, etc. Jom made great recommendation. I used a high zinc sunscreen that had a white cast and that cut down on the redness, but it did not totally hide the redness.

Here are the ingredients of the ZO Oclipse sunscreen if you are interested:

ACTIVE INGREDIENTS
Titanium Dioxide 10.2%
Zinc Oxide 3.7%

OTHER INGREDIENTS
Cyclopentasiloxane, Cyclotetrasiloxane, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Methyl Methacrylate/Glycol Dimethacrylate Crosspolymer, Melanin, Tribehenin, Calcium Behenate, Sorbitan Isostearate, Myristoyl Pentapeptide-8, Dimethiconol, Alumina, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Methicone, Iron Oxides.
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:10 pm      Reply with quote
c4ward wrote:
Wow Jom! Thanks for the suggestions and references. I'm definitely going to try it. Does the Zo Sunscreen have zinc?

The ZO has zinc and titanium dioxide, but a low percent of zinc oxide. I don't think it offers enough protection. I actually do use it too because I have a small stash of it. On cloudier days when I'm not going to be outside I use it alone or on sunnier days I use it over the Epicuren. I really like the matte finish it gives to my skin, I just don't trust that it offers enough protection from the sun, especially now that I'm using Retin A.
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:49 am      Reply with quote
Rileygirl- It's good to know I'll probably be red the whole time. Ah the sacrifices we make for beauty! After you've done the program, are you still red on maintenance?
Jom- I do think I'll try the Epicuren & ZO sunscreen. I've been dying to try the ZO and actually have two tubes of Anthelios, which I'll pass on to my sisters.
I've always been such a product junkie that I actually think it will be cheaper sticking with Obagi Nu Derm.

Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:37 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |