Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Tooth whitening ?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:16 pm      Reply with quote
Maria_312 wrote:
I searched some DIY tooth whitening recipes and found this one;

Mix 2 teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide (3% - available at your local drugstore) with 3 teaspoons of baking soda. Add a touch of toothpaste so it doesn't taste so gross and brush your teeth with it for a few minutes once a week until you reach your desired tooth shade.

I've done research before I tried it, and a lot of people swear by it.

I used it two days ago and I must say I was blown away - never did any whitening strips do the job so quickly as this.

I do not smoke, drink coffee, so my teeth are rather white, but not as white as they could be.

I gave my fiance some to try (he has more noticeably yellow teeth) and I wanted to see his results. Well, he was impressed too - he even told me earlier today he wants to do it weekly before our trip to Vegas.

Just something to consider for sensitivity: I use Sensodyne before and after so my teeth don't get sensitive. If you hate sensodyne, you can stop using it after you are done whitening. Smile

This method that you write about has a name. It is called the Keyes method. Before toothpaste people used to brush with peroxide and baking soda (thus toothpaste with the same name). Anyway, it was thought to be good for the gums. What it does however is help with staining. The peroxide will do some quick brightening and the baking soda provides a little bit of a tooth exfoliant to rid the surface of stains. It is a nice method. I can't say it's a miracle or anything. But will decrease surface staining.
Alix
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:00 pm      Reply with quote
For me, Hydrogen Peroxide (3%) is by far the best tooth whitening. Cheap and very effective. Very Happy
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:11 pm      Reply with quote
I agree Alix and it's quite easy - you can put a mouthful of Peroxide in, hold it around your teeth while you shower and when you're finished you'll be whiter and brighter. quick pick me up for a night out.
vivian.vl
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:49 am      Reply with quote
My friend recommended one tooth paste for me. The brand is 'Sensodyne'. She said she got better after this paste.
lilybear
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:30 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you everyone, really helps, been gone Sad Amonavais and GirlieGirl, that is what I am worried about. I have sensitive teeth, mainly I just don't want that glaring white that you see on the TV with some people. You all are great!
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:45 pm      Reply with quote
Go Smile is extremely overpriced - even at these discounts. In the dental field we are amazed at what people pay for poor product.
health2u
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
Strawberries and baking soda. Another natural strategy for getting rid of
surface stains. I thought it sounded silly, but I tried it today. Doesn't bleach,
but I think it may actually be effective for surface stains.
Here's info and recipe:

http://living.health.com/2008/02/21/whiten-your-teeth-the-natural-way
Jax
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:54 am      Reply with quote
My friend's aunt has been using baking soda and hydrogen peroxide as her toothpaste for most of her life and she still has all of her teeth at age 76!! So maybe this recipe is good for more than just brightening...
Barksdale
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:00 am      Reply with quote
Alix wrote:
For me, Hydrogen Peroxide (3%) is by far the best tooth whitening. Cheap and very effective. Very Happy

Is that the same as baking soda?..
tinali0202
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:06 am      Reply with quote
zverenok wrote:
I have the same problem - super sensitivity to those over the counter strips - just like above, after using the strips my teeth are oh so sensitive, that can't open my mouth - air is too much.

I wanted to do the whitening, but at the dentist it's freaking too expensive - it starts at $400 + measuring, + tray and what not.

it is too expensive, i have done once last year for 200 something in australia
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:00 pm      Reply with quote
Jax wrote:
My friend's aunt has been using baking soda and hydrogen peroxide as her toothpaste for most of her life and she still has all of her teeth at age 76!! So maybe this recipe is good for more than just brightening...

Baking soda and peroxide were an old remedy thought to decrease the risk of periodontal disease which can cause a considerable amount of tooth loss. The peroxide can kill some of the nasty bacteria responsible for dental disease. So that may be why - plus she probably was very diligent about her home care and brushed long enough and properly enough. I'll bet her teeth are whiter than the average person her age, also.
Jax
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:03 pm      Reply with quote
Sister Sweets - Yes, her teeth are whiter than you'd expect but not the "chicklet" white that we're all used to seeing now because of tooth whitening procedures. Her teeth are not as opaque as someone younger. But the fact that she still has ALL her teeth is simply amazing to me. Another friend of mine knew a dentist who passed away at age 86 with all of his teeth and he also used the baking soda/HP recipe. Go figure...we spend all this money on fancy toothpastes and maybe the old formula is best?
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:14 pm      Reply with quote
I think a blend of products may be the way to go. Fluoride in toothpaste is important too. It provides a topical protection to the teeth against decay. The baking soda and peroxide is more for the health of the gums. Maybe try the baking soda/peroxide combo in the morning...I use peroxide everyday.
Jax
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:36 pm      Reply with quote
Good idea, Sister Sweets. I have a couple of sensitive teeth so I'd have to my usual Sensodyne at least once a day. Do you use the peroxide as a mouth wash or do you brush with it?
Alix
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:22 am      Reply with quote
Barksdale wrote:

Is that the same as baking soda?..

Sorry, I've never tried baking soda. But you should give hydrogen peroxide a try. It is a bleaching ingredient in most of tooth whitening products in the market. Very Happy It also kills bacteria and eliminates bad breath and odor also. When hydrogen peroxide deforms, it will become water and oxygen (something we can live with) Very Happy
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:28 am      Reply with quote
I tried the peroxide/soda mix today and kinda freaked out when my gums started to hurt and turn white! Its hard to brush it on too as its so runny and hard to avoid your gums when brushing.

I have this brown stain near my gum line on the tooth next to my front tooth. I hate it and cant get rid of it. I suspect its my love of tea that caused it.

Does it help remove stains like that? And is it okay to make the above mixture and dab onto the mark daily?

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:44 am      Reply with quote
carolb69 wrote:
I tried the peroxide/soda mix today and kinda freaked out when my gums started to hurt and turn white! Its hard to brush it on too as its so runny and hard to avoid your gums when brushing....

I have heard that when you mix them together they will cause gum turning white.

I do use hydrogen peroxide alone everyday and it didn't cause me white gum or any pain.
lilybear
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:13 pm      Reply with quote
Sister sweets, forgot about the tooth sensitivity thing... Alix, I don't think hydrogen peroxide is enough for me and I am afraid of using it for a longer time? Does anyone have any experience with the brite smile from the Dentist with tooth sensitivity?
Barksdale
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:45 pm      Reply with quote
For how long are one supposed to gurgle Hyrogen Peroxide?

Btw, what's best 3 or 6% Hydrogen Peroxide?
bluepacific
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:19 am      Reply with quote
I've done GoSmile. It was ok...it brightened up my teeth a bit but not a lot. I have tried Beyond at the dentist's office as well. The hygienist (?) who did my teeth had bright white teeth, but mine didn't turn out like that. I think you won't get glowing white teeth as long as you don't do it multiple times over a short period of time.
benami
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:54 am      Reply with quote
I tried some crest whitestrips before.But I felt very uncomfortable. Then I gave up.
harriet
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 10, 2009 7:54 am      Reply with quote
I got my bleaching trays from my dentist and am very happy with them; they last for years. They told me to use the bleaching solution on consecutive days until you get to the shade you want both for the first time and for subsequent touch ups. The thing I like is that you can control the degree of whiteness so it looks natural. The hygienist told me the most important thing in oral health if to floss at night. I didn't mind paying more as they know my mouth and what would be good for me. I used to use baking soda but am afraid of anything too abrasive and I use Sensodyne from time to time.
Amy Lu
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 15, 2009 1:27 am      Reply with quote
Go smile,Supersmile,All for writing your teeth
health2u
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 15, 2009 9:30 pm      Reply with quote
NightWhite ACP, or DayWhite ACP.

Through Dental Professionals only, but has ingredients that manage tooth sensitivity and rebuild enamel:

http://www.discusdental.com/whitening.php

NiteWhite ACP is the first and only take-home whitener to combine amorphous calcium phosphate (ACP), potassium nitrate and fluoride to provide enhanced whitening results. This formula has been clinically proven to rebuild enamel, reduce sensitivity by 30%, add luster and reduce fadeback1. Plus, our patented dual-barrel syringes provide stability without refrigeration and maximize effectiveness of ACP by keeping ingredients separate until use. Furthermore, you can send your patients home with your contact information by personalizing your kits! The combination of these technologies from the worldwide leader in whitening gives you an unbeatable product for your patients.

Data on file - With short daily wear protocols, DayWhite ACP is the ideal product for patients who are uncomfortable with overnight tray wear or for those who have bruxism or clench. DayWhite ACP combines amorphous calcium phosphate (ACP), potassium nitrate and fluoride to provide unparalleled sensitivity management and enhanced whitening results. Plus, our patented dual-barrel syringes provide stability without refrigeration and maximize effectiveness of ACP by keeping ingredients separate until use.

kathrina915
5% products discount

Sat May 16, 2009 11:46 am      Reply with quote
I've used crest strips for as long as I can remember. I find that one treatment every week or every other week is enough to maintain my white teeth. I've just never been tempted by any of the many tooth bleaches available because I get such good results with Crest.
System
Automatic Message
Mon May 13, 2024 5:02 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Sundari Omega 3+ and Amalaki Night Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |