Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Acids & Oils
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Vanilj
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:51 am      Reply with quote
Hi,

Maybe this question has been asked in other threads, but I can't find one that include the difference between different acids.

I google them and read some medical opinions and general use of them, but would like if anyone could tell me about the difference between them, and what to use for what, or not to use etc. If there's a time limit to some products like AHA, that my skin salon told me to use with moderation, because it can make the skin more sensitive, especially in the summertime.

To begin with - please correct me, and add more acids and oils to the list;

ProRetinoid A"Vitamin A"? Skin rejuvenation, fine lines and sun damaged skin? can cause light sensitivity, don't overdo?
AHA Use for wrinkles and exfoliates the skin, can help clear up blackheads, and have some effect on enlarged pores? To use with moderation?
BHA = Salicylic Acid? Powerful to clear up blackheads?
Pentapeptides Cell Rejuvenation?
Q10 Gives the cells more oxygen?
Poly collagen Stimulate the collagen production in the skin?

Anything else?
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:49 am      Reply with quote
here's my 2cents:

Any of these need to be used consistently, along with sunscreen, to get and keep results.

retinol (pro retinol is a brand name Loreal uses)- vitamin A , minimizes and helps prevent fines lines
AHA - exfoliates the surface of your skin
BHA - exfoliates into your pores
CoQ10 - antioxidant
Peptides - not 100% sure about this
Collagen - not useful applied topically, will not stimulate collagen
Vanilj
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:43 pm      Reply with quote
GirlieGirl wrote:
here's my 2cents:

Any of these need to be used consistently, along with sunscreen, to get and keep results.

retinol (pro retinol is a brand name Loreal uses)- vitamin A , minimizes and helps prevent fines lines
CoQ10 - antioxidant

Thank you for the answer. Smile BHA will be my next try out. Do you know if there's an acid that stimulates the collagen production?
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:53 pm      Reply with quote
Vanilj wrote:
GirlieGirl wrote:
here's my 2cents:

CoQ10 - antioxidant

Thank you for the answer. Smile BHA will be my next try out. Do you know if there's an acid that stimulates the collagen production?

Vitamin C or Retin A
Vanilj
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:40 am      Reply with quote
ok, do I got this right so far..?

I'm want to prevent my skin from more damage. I don't have deep wrinkles, some fine lines under my eyes. Thin skin, and sunspots, enlarged pores and some with blackheads. Dehydrated skin with a oiliness that's comes during the day.

What can I use together, and what can't I use together?

AHA, exfoliates the skin on the surface. Fruit acid.

BHA=salicylic acid, exfoliates down to the pores.

Retinol=Vitamin A, minimizes fine lines and help with sunspots on the skin.

Vitamin C, antioxidant, wrinkle prevention.

Pentapeptides, Increases the collagen production and help with firmness in the skin.

Right?
Can I if I want to, use all these acids and vitamins together, can they do any harm used in a wrong way?

I have only used AHA, but I'm starting to realise that its probably not the most effective product or me.

Any suggestion on how often I could use retinol, vitamin C, Pentapeptides and BHA?
That should cover my wrinkle prevention regim, and I hops to see some difference in my pores sizes as well..
tinali0202
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:56 am      Reply with quote
so ,seems like bha is mostly woring with pores and real skin ,right!~
tinali0202
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:57 am      Reply with quote
i am using vit c serum but just at night ,people saies it is sensitive with light
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:47 am      Reply with quote
tinali0202 wrote:
i am using vit c serum but just at night ,people saies it is sensitive with light

Its recommended that Vit C serum be used in the morning because it helps protect your skin from the sun (but does not replace sunscreen). C serum can quickly oxidize when exposed to air/light. Storing in the refrigerator helps extend the life.

Vanilj wrote:
Any suggestion on how often I could use retinol, vitamin C, Pentapeptides and BHA?

I think using all 4 would be overkill, especially if you are just starting out with these types of products, they can all irritate the skin. I would start off with Vit C serum in the morning and retinol at night.
I'm personally not a peptide fan but you just so know, you cant use C and peptides at the same time. They react negatively together and cancel out each others effectiveness.
Dont forget to use Sunscreen daily Smile
Vanilj
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:46 am      Reply with quote
GirlieGirl wrote:
tinali0202 wrote:

Its recommended that Vit C serum be used in the morning because it helps protect your skin from the sun (but does not replace sunscreen). C serum can quickly oxidize when exposed to air/light. Storing in the refrigerator helps extend the life.

Vanilj wrote:

I think using all 4 would be overkill, especially if you are just starting out with these types of products, they can all irritate the skin. I would start off with Vit C serum in the morning and retinol at night.
I'm personally not a peptide fan but you just so know, you cant use C and peptides at the same time. They react negatively together and cancel out each others effectiveness.
Dont forget to use Sunscreen daily Smile

ok, maybe a dumb question - but are there any differences in getting the extra vitamin C by vitamin tablets, or by a serum directly to the skin..?

Okej, so it might work with peptides in the morning, and retinol at night? And now and then, a BHA treatment?

I really want something to boost my collagen as well, and prevent my face to sag, or at least in a more slow way and the rest of my family.. Wink
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:55 am      Reply with quote
Taking a Vitamin C capsule and putting a Vit C product on your skin are 2 different things, you need to put the serum on your face. Look for a Vit C product that contains l-ascorbic acid (Skinceuticals C E Ferulic is great). You should use the Vit C product in the morning. You should use the retinol product at night. You could alternate nights with an AHA/BHA product. Use the retinol product one night and the AHA/BHA product the next. That way your skin won't get too used to any one ingredient and it won't get too irritated.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:50 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Phyto-C SuperHeal O-Live Lotion (30 g / 1 floz) Skin Biology Protect & Restore High Retinol and Oil of Lavender - Large (113.4 g / 4 oz) Phyto-C Phyto Gel (15 ml / 0.5 floz)