Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Essential Oils for dehydrated skin
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Maria_312
5% products discount

Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:56 am      Reply with quote
I have dehydrated skin and was wondering if there is/are essential oils that combat dehydration?

The skin on my face and under my eyes looks thin, dehydrated and wrinkly. I'm too young to have wrinkles like these on my face yet! Sad

Please advise.
calorblind
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:58 am      Reply with quote
Decleor uses Angelique for dry skin,

Darphin uses Mhyrre (dont know the spelling)
ximing
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:31 pm      Reply with quote
Decleor, Sandarin facial oil ...all help.

I like Bio-Oil which contents their special PurCellin Oil™, Calendula oil, Chamomile oil
and so on.
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:42 pm      Reply with quote
Essential oils aren't for moisturizing or hydrating. They mostly have certain other properties, like antiseptic, antibacteria, or stimulating. Here is a guide posted on EDS a while back:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=5922
Essential oils are almost never used on the skin alone; they require a "carrier oil," and it is the carrier oil that is your best best for moisturizing and hydrating.
If you have dry skin, some great carrier oils are avocado, macadamia, and rosehip seed oil (in smaller concentrations than the macadamia and avocado). You can add a couple of drops of the following essential oils to make a really nice "natural" moisturizer": rosewood, palmarosa, helichrysum. Anything with rose in it is super-hydrating. Although rosehips, rose, and rosewood are unrelated, those three make a great combination!
The most important thing to remember is that there is a BIG difference between essential oils, which are alkaline, liquidy, and feel almost like pure rubbing alcohol on the skin, and botanical oils, which feel like "oil." Essential oils are extremely concentrated and thus a couple of drops in a 30ML glass bottle of botanical carrier oils will give you the benefit you need. At any other concentration, you have a good chance of getting skin irritations.
Calorblind is right that the Angelique Balm by Decleor
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/decleor-aromessence-baume-p_1175.htm
is especially nourishing, as it is a base of beeswax and really moisturizing botanical oils, and a teeny bit of essential oil. It smells heavenly and can be used as a night cream, cuticle cream, and lip balm. Or you can mix it with your favorite basic moisturizer for a hydrating "boost."
It is mainly supposed to be use with their more concentrated botanical oil blends for even more moisture at night, but the angelique balm in the most versatile of the bunch.

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
NOTCH
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:03 pm      Reply with quote
That is a great post avalange. I would also add that jojoba oil would be an excellent emollient to be used as a carrier. And for those with oily skin, jojoba won't be a problem since it is a wax ester, not an "oil". Also, jojoba esters have the absolute best moisture retaining properties of all emollient carrier oils. So, for someone that needs to keep their skin hydrated, it would be the best. And I agree with the Macadamia as well, especially because of its fatty acid profile which is a similar as you can get to the skin's own fatty acid profile from a botanical source.

John

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:17 pm      Reply with quote
Is there any evidence that Macadamia oil is AT ALL similar to Peanut??? I am highly allergic to peanut anything
NOTCH
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:35 pm      Reply with quote
No, macadamia has a completely different composition from peanut.

Also, here's a tip for you when you are concerned about "nut oil allergies". Most cosmetic companies who use natural botanical products (oils like macadamia and peanut) use "refined and pasteurized" versions of the oil. This process removes the "proteins" from the nut oils, leaving behind the fatty acids and other components that make a quality emollient oil.

Without the nut proteins, there is no way to get an allergic reaction since it is the proteins that cause this allergic reaction.

This is an important point to remember when you consider any "organic" products. If they process the whole oil and use the whole oil, then the nut proteins will be present and anyone who has allergies will have a reaction to those "organic" products.

There has not be one published case, anywhere in the world, of an allergic reaction to refined and pasteurized macadamia oil.

John

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:45 pm      Reply with quote
yeah i recently came across a organic french skincare Kibio, which uses macadamia nut in its cream

Chilean musk rose vegetal oil: powerful revitalizing and anti-aging properties
Macadamia vegetal oil: hydrating*, softening and protective
Avocado vegetal oil: well stocked with vitamins A, B, C, D, E, H, K and PP, it combats aging, tones softens and restructures the epidermis
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:42 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, John,
You re always a wealth of precious information on this forum!
I use jojoba myself, but thought jojoba and hazelnut were more for combination-oily skins, since they tend to balance and not over-moisturize or sit on the skin.

I treat myself to a dry brushing and a bath with jojoba anad apricot kernel oils every night--so luxurious and the oils just coat my body after stepping out of the bath. I also use jojoba in my hair mask. love it!

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
nurseco
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:24 pm      Reply with quote
Straight essential oils are probably not the best, as others have said. However, something with rose oil in it would probably be very nice. I personally use Dr. H's Normalizing Day oil, even though it says it is for oily skin. Works for my beginning-to-be-mature skin.
harriet
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:08 am      Reply with quote
Does anyone know about the Clarins Blue Orchid Face Treatment Oil for dehydrated skin? I have quite a bit left and am wondering about using it again. At the time it did not seem to do much but now that my skin is more balanced and gently exfoliated I was thinking of using it a bit. It smells divine...may just use it as a fragrance on my neck!
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:34 am      Reply with quote
avalange wrote:
I treat myself to a dry brushing and a bath with jojoba anad apricot kernel oils every night--so luxurious and the oils just coat my body after stepping out of the bath.

Just a tip..
I've heard that it is more effective to first apply the bath/body oil before hopping into the tub. This way your skin is in contact with more oil, and the warm water helps with penetration. (And you waste less oil going down the drain Wink )
calorblind
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:12 am      Reply with quote
i have all those decleor bath oils.. but i have no tub and that sucks. just a shower
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:52 pm      Reply with quote
well, i am sold on the method of putting oil in the water. i actually hate moisturizing, so i spend all my time dry brushing and then hop in the water. i actually am CERTAIN that i use about half of the oil i would otherwise use rubbing it aall over my skin--just a tiny slug into the water is all it takes--and it covers my entire body as soon as i get into and of course when i get out of the water... but i would never throw decleor oils in the water--only oils in inexpensive large bottles.
to each her/his own, i suppose!

--avalange
fat_swan wrote:
avalange wrote:
I treat myself to a dry brushing and a bath with jojoba anad apricot kernel oils every night--so luxurious and the oils just coat my body after stepping out of the bath.

Just a tip..
I've heard that it is more effective to first apply the bath/body oil before hopping into the tub. This way your skin is in contact with more oil, and the warm water helps with penetration. (And you waste less oil going down the drain Wink )

luyan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:48 am      Reply with quote
You can try Patyka,I think you are suitable

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:44 pm      Reply with quote
Rosehip seed oil has properties for treating wrinkles and sun damage as cited by a Chilean study:

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/learn/oilprofile/rosehiporganic.php

That and avocado oil (which is thicker) are my favorites!
Oils should always be applied to damp skin to seal in the moisture.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
yeap, thats right, that's why i use my Decleor Solaire Arromescence before i go out tanning

Essential Oils of Rose, Camomile and Geranium; Plant Oils of Argan, Rice, Wheat Germ and Heliocarrot. 100% natural. Preservative-free.

It boosts sn protection till 22%
pieperd
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:11 pm      Reply with quote
PSF balancing oil is nice. It doesn't clog pores and is light. I use it with the SUKI foundation and I love it.
pollym.76

Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:05 pm      Reply with quote
Go into a site called Akamuti, their products are all organic and they don't use loads of unnecessary ingredients. They are very reasonably priced, there moisturisers contain a mixture of organic carrier oils and and organic essential oils for pretty much every skin type. They are fab!!!
starxiao
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:06 am      Reply with quote
rose otto

sandalwood

neroli

great to combat dehydration
MarieIG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:06 am      Reply with quote
Well maybe a bit off topic but I eat fish oil and olive oil (as well as drinking lots of water) to help moisturize my skin.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:26 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks very much for the previous posts - they are very informative. And, how about Sweet Almond Oil? What are the major differences between different carrier oils, such as Almond, Jojoba and Olive? TIA.
vikki_cooler
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:48 pm      Reply with quote
Some carrier oils should have hydrating properties rather than the essential oils.

For dry skin, sweet almond oil works pretty well. For general purpose, olive oil is always a great choice.
starxiao
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:51 pm      Reply with quote
lunathefinal wrote:
Thanks very much for the previous posts - they are very informative. And, how about Sweet Almond Oil? What are the major differences between different carrier oils, such as Almond, Jojoba and Olive? TIA.

jojoba fits to all types of skin, it's a great skin-care oil and as i know, top-brand cosmetics use jojoba as a base oil

sweet almond oil better for dry,wrinkled,sensitive skin

olive oil, have no idea, i don't think it fits to my mixed skin
lilyofthevalley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:36 pm      Reply with quote
Maybe you could try evening primrose oil with rose essential oil. Evening primrose oil is a good carrier oil to replenish water onto your skin, while rose essential oil could sooth the dry skin. Many good cosmetics use evening primrose oil as the base oil.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:04 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |