Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Why can't they make products that work?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
RuthMarion
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:11 am      Reply with quote
I was just thinking....as we all know, big time skincare product sales & service industries are a multi-billion dollar industry & I'm sure that that is just the way that they like it! Scientists say that there really isn't much that can penetrate the skin (to a "curable" degree as much as to an "improved" degree). Not with absolutely every product or procedure but with most. Don't you wonder how they can invent & improve on a nictotine patch to get that into your system, as well as nitro patches doing the same thing for your cardiovascular system. They say that pregnant women can't apply this or that (because it will get into their "system"). I'm normally a skeptic and surely not into "conspiracy theories" but I am positive that someone somewhere could fix all of our issues in a snap. There is way too much money involved to do that I believe. Question Question

oh..I sound like a kook - who are "they" - but I'm really not - just curious Confused
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:25 am      Reply with quote
good question. I spose it's cause of lots of differing skin needs and the financial need to keep us buying 'hope in a jar'!
I had heard that drug companies have no interest in 'cures' for illnesses because they make more money out of treatments.
CPs are my current hope-in-a-jar!

(apologiies to Philosophy for nicking thier line!)

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:50 am      Reply with quote
Just like a "cure" for cancer. if they found a cure do you know how many people and places would be out of business. Yes medicine and the like is big business.
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:07 pm      Reply with quote
I think people are generally good and want to help others, especially with stuff like cancer. If someone found a cure for cancer and got a patent on it they'd be instant millionaires...
Aurora
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:59 pm      Reply with quote
When it comes to finding cures to relativly non-dangerous diseases I do think many big medical companies might conentrate on short term solutions, and not really a cure.

BUT I feel it is highly unfair to compare cancer research with this (or any other research on serious diseases..). I personally know several scientist who works on finding a cure/cause for cancer, and I do not believe for a second that any of these would withhold information that could save lives... Sad

Sorry I'm a bit strict...but I do take this very seriously.. Smile
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:23 am      Reply with quote
I know someone who works in cancer research as well looking for causes and treatments. Because their work at the university is part-funded by a big drug company, they are not allowed to share results. This means that other researchers at other unis funded by other drug companies are in the same position. because drug companies won't let them share results it means that any effective treatment is going to take longer to achieve. I agree it isn't the same with skin care, but the commercial interests and rationales are exactly the same. I was not in any way criticising medical researchers on an individual level as I know many of them are totally frustrated by the system.
Liz Cool

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:53 am      Reply with quote
guapagirl wrote:
Because their work at the university is part-funded by a big drug company, they are not allowed to share results. This means that other researchers at other unis funded by other drug companies are in the same position. because drug companies won't let them share results it means that any effective treatment is going to take longer to achieve.
Liz Cool

Which sort of confirms the idea that they are not so much interested in saving lives as making money. I believe many people at grass roots are the ones that care about finding a cure. I'm convinced by the fat cats in suits.

Imagine if as a kid you got screened for various illnesses or in fact just get a combined one, no cancer, no heart disease, that's a whole lot of people out of work.

For me it's a bit like the arms race, we can't stop selling to these countries because if we don't someone else will and it makes a ton of money
http://www.caat.org.uk/

sorry for going rambling off!
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:06 am      Reply with quote
Hi all,
some companies and people are are interested in finding cures for things. It costs them a fortune in research and testing to develop some drugs which is why they cost so much when they get to the little guy. My husband has severe rheumatoid arthritis diagnosed 19 years ago(he was 2Cool. Now his Doctor at the hospital has put him on this wonderful new drug which is amazing compared to every other treatment he has had over the years. Except for his replacement hip, which was fantastic. The doctor told us this drug which my hubby injects every other week costs £5OO a shot. luckily in UK we pay national insurance and medical treatment is free. Although we do have to pay for the other three things he has on prescription every month.
Lori
JudyMarshall
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:02 pm      Reply with quote
Lori....

So sorry to hear that your husband has RA. My Mom was diagnosed with it about 12 years ago.

We've been pretty fortunate with her. We've been able to keep her off a lot of meds with all the vitamins, etc. that I get her to take. Nevertheless, it's an awful disease.

JUDY

Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:22 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |