Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Obagi or Vivite?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
BichonMom
5% products discount

Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:15 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,

I've lurked here for a while and this forum is full of wonderful advice. This is my first post. I was hoping to get some opinions on which is better - Obagi or Vivite. I will be 40 this year and I have combination skin - oily t-zone and some dry patches on the cheeks. I don't have wrinkles but I have some hyperpigmentation due to pregnancy.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks for your help!

Jill
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:23 pm      Reply with quote
I'm hoping someone will say Obagi Nu Derm since I'm starting it tomorrow! Smile

5% products discount

Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:08 pm      Reply with quote
I prefer to OBAGI Nu-Derm, it's very professioanl to prevent wrinkle and will bring you a bright skin. I have used it for 2yrs, yet I suggest use it discontinuously
keli13
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:44 am      Reply with quote
I never used Vivite but highly recommend Obagi Nuderm along with Retin-A for pigmentation issues. Obagi has totally changed my skin for the better. I have no more discoloration and the texture of my skin is greatly improved. I originally did my 18 weeks on Nu Derm with Retin-A and now I continue to only use the Blender mixed with Renova every other night for maintaining my clear skin. During the summer when my skin isn't as dry, I use the Renova/Blender mix every night. Obagi can be a bit of a pain in the beginning due to the peeling and flaky skin but in the long run it is so worth it!! Good luck with whatever you choose to use!
tessera
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:12 am      Reply with quote
Obagi is the super powerful, kick your butt, it-will-work-if-you-follow-the-program approach. It's a pain, but worth it. Vivite is a great follow up after completing the Nu-Derm program. I read elsewhere that Vivite and HQ are compatible, as they work differently to control melanin production. I use them together now that I'm on Obagi maintenance, applying the Vivite daily and the Nu-Derm approx. 3 times per week. HTH

5% products discount

Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:30 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the responses. I was pretty certain that I would go with Obagi NuDerm. I can't wait for Saturday when I have a skin consult with the medispa in my area that sells a lot of Obagi.
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:43 am      Reply with quote
Oh Bichon,
If you do decide to go on Obagi Nu Derm, I just started today and there are two other people on the forums who started a couple weeks ago. We can encourage eachother. Either way, keep us posted! Very Happy

5% products discount

Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:37 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the invite C4ward. How did your first day on Obagi go? I'm thinking I will have to spend between $350 - $400 for the full Obagi NuDerm system? Is that about right?

Jill
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:19 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Jill. My first day I was VERY red. It was so hot it hurt at night. Surprisingly, today this morning I was less red, but more peely. Now on Day 2, I had to exfoliate at lunch from tons of flaking. Honestly, I didn't think it would be this big a difference so fast. No one is exagerating when they say you get really red and peely. I'm getting very scared how bad this might get. I didn't buy the Action or Tolereen and am wishing I did. I guess I spent around $300. I already had Tazorac and decided to get Retin A when I finish it up. I've never been so self conscious.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:16 am      Reply with quote
How are you doing C4ward with the Nu Derm regimen?
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:29 am      Reply with quote
hi Everyone! I'm another newbie to the Obagi regime as well as to the forum itself. I'm on my 12th day at this point. I've gotten somewhat red and peely, but not as much as it seems like some of the others have. I think my skin must be pretty hardcore!! I'm using Retin A .025 as prescribed by my plastic surgeon. Should I increase this? Also, does anyone use Blender/Retin A twice a day? My skin actually feels softer and smoother, but I haven't really noticed any changes in the hyperpigmentation.
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:46 am      Reply with quote
Hi Keli13.Thanks for asking.
For the first 9 days , I was unbelievably red and peeling. Much more than I'd expected , even with all the warnings. I'm now on Day 19, and although red and peely, not so much that I'm embarrased going everywhere. Every lunch hour at work, I have to rinse to get rid of peeling. My pigmentation problems are completely gone, although I didn't have a severe case. I've noticed less lines under my eyes, which I wasn't expecting.My forehead line, which I previously tried Botox, is barely noticeable. I am happier with the Nu Derm results than Botox because I still have full mobility of my muscles. I'm hopeful that I may get smooth skin there after the whole regime. There's not a day that goes by that I don't peel to some degree.Co-workers still point out I'm red, but two have said they think my skin is better. I've been extra crazy about sunscreen and a hat, especially since I live in sunny Southern California. It is a very hard process, but so far, I'm happy with the way it's going. I've started to enjoy the ritual of putting on the different lotions. I do think I'll eventually have to do something similar with my hands and decolletage. Have you gotten your set yet? Are you going to do the Nu Derm? Please keep us all posted and thanks so much for asking about my progress! Coleen

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:55 am      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
hi Everyone! I'm another newbie to the Obagi regime as well as to the forum itself. I'm on my 12th day at this point. I've gotten somewhat red and peely, but not as much as it seems like some of the others have. I think my skin must be pretty hardcore!! I'm using Retin A .025 as prescribed by my plastic surgeon. Should I increase this? Also, does anyone use Blender/Retin A twice a day? My skin actually feels softer and smoother, but I haven't really noticed any changes in the hyperpigmentation.

Hi Kims. I'm using .1 Tazorac. I think you should follow what ever your doctor said. From everything I've read, everyone has different reactions to the system. I think Rileygirl didn't see results until the full 18 weeks. It so depends on what kind of skin you have, how much damage, your age, ect. I'm fair and always thought my skin as sensitive, so I wasn't surprised I reacted so much. After 6 weeks, you may want to ask your doctor if you should get a higher concentration Retin A. The hardest part, for me, is being patient. Are you on the normal/dry set or normal/ oily set? Coleen (C4WARD)

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:30 am      Reply with quote
Hi Coleen! I'm on the normal/oily set. At this point, I'm planning on doing the full 18 weeks of Obagi. I'm sure I'll need it Very Happy Sometimes, it's just so hard to be patient. My plastic surgeon and I will also be discussing a co2 laser resurfacing procedure in the fall. Maybe I won't need it if all goes well!
Thanks for the support.
BichonMom
5% products discount

Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:26 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Colleen,

Glad that you are getting rid of your hyperpigmentation after 19 days. I am on Day 8 and Obagi hasn't lightened my hyperpigmentation yet but I may be one of those that may take a while. Thanks for your updates - it helps me know what to expect in the days to come. I am still red, peeling, itchy and dry but I know that new skin is just around the corner.

Jill
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:54 pm      Reply with quote
All of you who are in the 1st phase of Nu Derm, it is VERY unusual to see a fading of pigmentation in 1-2 weeks time. That is not near enough time. Hydroquinone usually takes at least 3 months before pigmentation starts to fade. Most of you are still in the initial phase of "out with the old". This phase is usually 6 weeks, but it can be up to 8 weeks. Everyone is different. Most of you will not notice any change (or even a darkening) of your pigmentation for at least 6-8 weeks. Then your pigmentation will really begin fading. Don't compare yourself to others and don't worry. Use the system and you will have results.

kims, the Blender/RA should only be used at night - not during the day. Follow your plastic surgeon's advice. You will have results. Be patient!
dryady
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:27 pm      Reply with quote
Hi C4ward, just FYI, during my acne treatment, My skin got really red and peeled a lot when I applied tazoric. It was so hurting that I stopped using it. I started using tretinion gel or ziana and both of them were ok. I do not know why. Tazoric is kind of too strong for my skin.

c4ward wrote:
kims wrote:

Hi Kims. I'm using .1 Tazorac. I think you should follow what ever your doctor said. From everything I've read, everyone has different reactions to the system. I think Rileygirl didn't see results until the full 18 weeks. It so depends on what kind of skin you have, how much damage, your age, ect. I'm fair and always thought my skin as sensitive, so I wasn't surprised I reacted so much. After 6 weeks, you may want to ask your doctor if you should get a higher concentration Retin A. The hardest part, for me, is being patient. Are you on the normal/dry set or normal/ oily set? Coleen (C4WARD)
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:05 am      Reply with quote
Hello Everyone! I have another issue with Obagi that I'd like to ask about. In the a.m. after applying all the topicals, my face looks (and feels) very oily/shiny/greasy. I'm not very comfortable going out looking like that so I try to tone down the shine with some mineral powder -- which helps somewhat. Does anyone else have this experience? What do you do? Perhaps it's part of the process as well...
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:59 am      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
Hello Everyone! I have another issue with Obagi that I'd like to ask about. In the a.m. after applying all the topicals, my face looks (and feels) very oily/shiny/greasy. I'm not very comfortable going out looking like that so I try to tone down the shine with some mineral powder -- which helps somewhat. Does anyone else have this experience? What do you do? Perhaps it's part of the process as well...

What products are you using (the dry or oily kit)? Do you make sure you rub the product all the way into your skin before applying the next product? What sunscreen are you using?
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:22 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Rileygirl,
I'm using the normal/oily kit as I do have combination skin. I think that I'm rubbing the products in completely before applying the next one, but I'll start being a bit more conscientious about this. I'm using the Obagi sunscreen which comes with the kit and I've also used the NIA 24 sunscreen as well. I must let you know that I've read several of your posts over a variety of threads/subjects and I really appreciate your help and knowledge!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:32 pm      Reply with quote
kims, I would suggest making sure you are really rubbing the product in. You should be rubbing and rubbing, and it should take a little bit of time to get it all rubbed in, and then you have to do it again with the next product, etc. Are you using the correct amount of the products? Also, what strength of the Retin A are you using?
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:31 pm      Reply with quote
I'm following the protocol to the letter per the Obagi instruction sheet which came with the kit. I'm using 1/2 gm of clear, exfoderm forte, blender, and tretinoin at the appropriate a.m./p.m. routines. I'm switching between 0.025 and 0.050 of Retin A. This may be a silly question, but should each product be allowed to have a drying time before the next one is applied? The instructions don't mention this, but I'm wondering if this would allow each product to penetrate the skin a bit better?? I'm just trying to get this system down so I can get the best results... Confused
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:48 pm      Reply with quote
Well, the amounts are correct, except for the Clear, which should be 1 gram twice a day. And, if you continue to be oily, I would up the Retin A to 1 gram nightly mixed with your Blender.

They don't need a drying time per say, because the rubbing in thoroughly will take care of that. You could give it a try and wait a few minutes in between each product, as well, but if you are rubbing the product in all the way, you shouldn't need to do that. Good luck!
BichonMom
5% products discount

Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:20 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Rileygirl for your excellent advice - I now realize that I am not rubbing my Obagi products on my face very well before adding my next product. I am having the same problem as kims with my face feeling oily.

Jill
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:45 am      Reply with quote
You're welcome! It it really an important step, and it really should take some time to get all the product rubbed in. Give it a try and see if that doesn't help the oily feeling.

One more thing about the oily feeling, some who were on the Exfoderm Forte had that feeling, and then switched to the regular Exfoderm and they were ok and vice versa (switching Exfoderm to the Forte) - but before switching around you need to give what you are using now at least 6 weeks to see how you skin will do.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:07 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |