Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

SLS free shampoo might be the answer to my hair problem
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:44 pm      Reply with quote
I bought SLS free shampoo from GOW a while back, and for some reasons I didn't like it. I think it was because it didn't sud and the smell...well, there was no smell. I used about half and wanted to throw it away but felt bad to waste my hard-earned dollars. So I tried using it on my dog. He didn't like it too much. His hair didn't take kindly to human shampoo. Back to doggy shampoo for him! :P

Anyway there was a bit left in the bottle, so I decided to use it up.

Wow, my hair got soft after one use! Hmm...was that a fluke? There was enough for 2 more applications. So I used it again the next time, and refrained from using my Head & Shoulders. Again my hair got softer and more manageable. Weird! How come I didn't feel it was doing that for my hair the first several times I used it??

Then I used the last of it. My 3rd try! Again, my hair remains soft, has weight, and manageable.

Has anyone tried and liked the SLS free shampoo whether it be from GOW or wherever?

I'm still unsure if it was the shampoo or what's going on. I don't know if I should order more now. Golly, I was so happy that I was using it up and could throw away the bottle, but now this dilemma!
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:04 am      Reply with quote
Yes, my extremely dry, damaged, frizzy hair is so much happier with SLS-free shampoo. I also avoid it for bath/shower products as that dreadful stuff really dries out my skin and hair. It also sets off my eczema. Other members of my family and several of my friends have found that ditching SLS products made a big difference to the comfort of their skin, too.

I do wish companies would stop using it.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:51 am      Reply with quote
I'm just using a SLS-free conditioner to wash my hair (conditioner washing) and I'm much happier with the condition of my hair.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:53 pm      Reply with quote
I swear by SLS free shampoos for my dry and curly hair. The only caution with them is to watch the ingredients in your other hair care products. SLS free shampoos cannot remove certain ingredients, such as some silicones, which can lead to build up on the hair. If build up does occur, you can shampoo occasionally with regular shampoo or try an ACV rinse.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:19 pm      Reply with quote
I love SLS free too. I love GOW but didnt care for their shampoo.
I do like Terrax and Naked Naturals though.
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:17 am      Reply with quote
After dealing with dermatitis on my face for two years, I slowly went to SLS-free facial cleansers, shampoo, body products, and toothpaste! Dermatitis was finally resolved with several prescription creams, but I don't want to take a chance of aggravating it. My hair and skin are much happier this way, especially my hair. Favorite SLS-free products include Wen conditioning cleanser (hair), Pureology shampoos/conditioners, 100% pure shower gel, and Rhassoul cleansing bar (face) from NCNProSkinCare.

I've also found myself using less and less styling products, so buildup has become a non-issue! I do ACV rinse about once a week.

5% products discount

Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:09 pm      Reply with quote
I use it all the time and will NEVER go back to SLS again. Keep an eye out on hair in the drain. You will probably notice a SIGNIFICANT loss (I mean you will lose LESS hair) in the future. SLS is so damaging to the scalp. It's terrible!
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:48 pm      Reply with quote
I haven't noticed less hair loss from using SLS free shampoo. I lose a ton of hair each day. But I only used the SLS free shampoo 3 times, and now I'm out. I am not sure if I should buy more GOW SLS free shampoo or other brands. What other brands do you all use, aside from WEN conditioner.
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:49 pm      Reply with quote
GirlieGirl wrote:
I love SLS free too. I love GOW but didnt care for their shampoo.
I do like Terrax and Naked Naturals though.

So both Terrax and Naked Naturals have SLS free shampoo? Where do you get yours from?
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
marnie wrote:
I swear by SLS free shampoos for my dry and curly hair. The only caution with them is to watch the ingredients in your other hair care products. SLS free shampoos cannot remove certain ingredients, such as some silicones, which can lead to build up on the hair. If build up does occur, you can shampoo occasionally with regular shampoo or try an ACV rinse.

I don't use any other haircare products, except for occasional hair polisher, which I think has a lot of silicones. An ACV rinse sounds like what I need.
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:00 am      Reply with quote
Bira wrote:
What other brands do you all use, aside from WEN conditioner.

Prior to trying WEN, Pureology was my favorite shampoo/conditioner. My favorite is the Hydrate line. Some people love the Nanoworks, but I didn't see enough benefit to justify the cost. I used to buy the huge bottles from ebay (not loyal to any seller).

If Pureology is too pricey, you might want to check out L'Oreal's new EverPure line. Since L'Oreal bought out Pureology a year or two ago, I'm guessing that they are "borrowing" the pricey salon formula to offer the drugstore-equivalent. I'm planning to check it out myself, since WEN is also pricey.

Also, you might want to check out the Giovanni line found at most GNC stores. I wasn't too crazy about the ones I tried, but have seen some good reviews.

And lastly, I found this list on Killer Strands. You could cross-reference this with posts on Makeupalley.com to find something that suits you.

http://killerstrands.blogspot.com/2008/01/sulfate-free-shampoo-list.html

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:04 am      Reply with quote
nadjazz wrote:
If Pureology is too pricey, you might want to check out L'Oreal's new EverPure line. Since L'Oreal bought out Pureology a year or two ago, I'm guessing that they are "borrowing" the pricey salon formula to offer the drugstore-equivalent. I'm planning to check it out myself, since WEN is also pricey.

Also, you might want to check out the Giovanni line found at most GNC stores. I wasn't too crazy about the ones I tried, but have seen some good reviews.

And lastly, I found this list on Killer Strands. You could cross-reference this with posts on Makeupalley.com to find something that suits you.

http://killerstrands.blogspot.com/2008/01/sulfate-free-shampoo-list.html

Thanks Nadjazz! All excellent suggestions. I definitely want to try the L'Oreal EverPure line. I saw that advertised a couple of weeks ago on CVS ads, and even cut out coupons for it from sunday papers but didn't know it's the SLS free line from L'Oreal.

I'll check out the link you provided, too. Thanks so much.
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:54 pm      Reply with quote
An alternative to Wen is Hair Zen fromwww.mymineralsbathandbody.com. I believe it's cheaper.
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:56 am      Reply with quote
Thank you, m1rox! I've never purchased from them before. Have you tried any of the Hair Zen products yourself? Would be interested in your opinion.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:50 pm      Reply with quote
I bought the L'Oreal Everpure Smooth line the whole set of shampoo, conditioner, and smooth serum. I love love love the shampoo. It made my hair feel soft and silky. The conditioner, not too sure, yet. The smell is strong. The serum is very nice. My hair feels very soft right now. Today is the first day I used the set.
marnie
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:31 pm      Reply with quote
Bira, I just got a coupon for the Everpure line, so I am going to try it out too! Winter has wreaked havoc on my hair, so I hope I get good results.
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
marnie wrote:
Bira, I just got a coupon for the Everpure line, so I am going to try it out too! Winter has wreaked havoc on my hair, so I hope I get good results.

I hope you like it, too! If not, buy from CVS so you can return. They got a 60-day money back guarantee on beauty products. Right now if you have the extracare card, and buy $20 L'Oreal products (the set I bought came out to $22 in total), you'll get $5 extrabucks to use on your next purchase. Great deal! I recall a coupon for Everpure, too, but not sure if I cut it. I didn't use coupons for my purchase. Sad
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:03 pm      Reply with quote
My nephews asked what perfume I was wearing. I told them I didn't wear any. Then I told them it might have been my hair. The Everpure serum smelled really good. So they smelled my hair and said that was it. They liked the smell. I told them the shampoo made my hair very soft. They touched my hair and agreed my hair was very soft. My friend also touched my hair and told me my hair was very soft. I'm very happy with my hair condition right now. Very Happy I hope this shampoo will agree with my hair for a long time.
JennyJam
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:03 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using Nature's Paradise thickening shampoo and it's great. I stopped getting dandruff after I started using this shampoo which is USDA certified organic, and free of SLS and nasty chemicals. I don't even need to use conditioner after using this shampoo, which is a miracle in itself!
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:42 pm      Reply with quote
nadjazz wrote:
Thank you, m1rox! I've never purchased from them before. Have you tried any of the Hair Zen products yourself? Would be interested in your opinion.

I have tried the Hair Zen, but I haven't used Wen to compare it with. It works pretty OK but you have to be careful to use very little of the product or the hair will get weighed down. I personally prefer using Chagrin Valley shampoo bars as the shampoo bars give me hair more volume. My hair is rather difficult, thick and coarse. Both Hair Zen and CV shampoo bars are acceptable alternatives to SLS-laden shampoos. I prefer both of these products to "organic" liquid shampoos as I find that there are still some non-SLS foaming agents in the liquid shampoos that irritate my scalp and over-strip my hair of natural oils.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:34 am      Reply with quote
I've pretty much eliminated SLS hair products for the last few years. I have very curly hair and it's very dry.... ridding the harsh cleansers really help.

For a year or so, I was in love with the SUDDZZFX line but it's so expensive and I'm cutting back, so I've tried other brands and finally found an acceptable substitute that leave my hair very soft, relatively free of frizz (except on very humid days nothing helps) and manageable.

For shampoo, I really like the Yes to Cucumbers shampoo... I'm not too fond of the conditioners in this line, however.

For conditioner, I absolutely LOVE Peter Lama's Soy Balancing conditioner. Only a little bit goes a long way and I also use it as a leave in conditioner as well. Lamas line of organic hair products can be found at many health and natural food stores but it's pricey. If you purchase it from vitacost, you'll only pay $10 USD per bottle.

Just say no to SLS! Smile

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
dryady
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:57 am      Reply with quote
I have been using Kerastase, a sub brand of L'Oreal, really really love it. a little bit pricy though.
katya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:39 pm      Reply with quote
What about Lavera shampoo ???

I saw on their website that they do not contain SLS either.

Did anyone try these before ?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:47 pm      Reply with quote
A lot of excellent recommendations. Thanks, ladies! Very Happy
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:59 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |