Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

scalp psoriasis & color-treated hair--- treatment???
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:22 am      Reply with quote
Can anyone recommend a treatment for scalp psoriasis for someone with color-treated hair? Is there an ingredient or product I should look for that will NOT FADE color?

Please help!

TIA! Smile

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:05 pm      Reply with quote
anyone??? Confused

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
RuthMarion
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:05 am      Reply with quote
Last night I purchased the Kronos "system" from The Shopping Channel in Canada. In the trial kit there is a hair masque. You put it on at bedtime & rub it into your scalp as well as through your hair. Over the past couple of years I have had so many doctors' appointments & tried countless presciptions & over the counter stuff for this problem. I'm pretty discouraged. I am going to give the Kronos a try because 1) it seems like a good product & 2) I'm a sucker for the Shopping Channel Embarassed .
Maybe it will work. I think that they said that it didn't contain sulfates (the bad ones) & they did say that it actually extended time between salon hair colour visits.
I hope that it isn't snake oil Neutral .
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:13 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you RuthMarion! Keep me updated on your results.

Very frustrating isn't it?... To go to numerous DR appointments, try many products only to still have a condition. I can relate (in regard to other conditions aside from psoriasis but nonetheless...).

My mom is the one with the scalp psoriasis issues. It started about a couple of years ago and got progressively worse. Natural products help but don't completely solve the problem.

What shampoos and prescriptions haven't worked for your psoriasis? Did you have problems with them fading your color? (If you have color treated hair.)

RuthMarion
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:58 am      Reply with quote
I have tried the dandruff-type formulations of:
Head & Shoulders
John Masters
Neutrogena
KMS
Matrix
Giovanni Tea Tree Oil
Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Oil - plus the salon tea tree oil treatment

Scalpicin (over the counter)

Ectosone Scalp 0.1% (Prescription)
Derma-Smoothe/FS (prescription)

I think that the drug store types have done the worst damage to my colour. At least more so than the salon ones.
My hair is pretty much my natural shade (I think- it's been a while Rolling Eyes ) but I have low lights & high lights so losing the colour bugs me as much as the flakes. Also, I DID stop with the colouring to see if that helped anything and it really didn't. I have also tried different brands of colours - namely, Goldwell, ? & Matrix.

You might mention an Indian Head Massage to your mom. I find them effective & super duper relaxing. The drawbacks are that they can be expensive & it's hard to justify spending your time on a "beauty" treatment - even if it's more!

I have also purchased (on EDS) Suki hair oil, Sundari hair oil and a Phyto hair oil treatment with a number of vials. And not on eds, a Nioxin something, Kiehls' hair oil, Darphin exfoliating oil (a series of vials)(now only available in Europe), Carita hair scrub granules (similar to the Paul Mitchell TeaTree Oil Scalp Treatment). And many other things that I can't & really don't want to remember off hand. Yikes!

I'm hoping that the Kronos might work Neutral
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:59 pm      Reply with quote
RuthMarion wrote:

I'm hoping that the Kronos might work Neutral

Got my fingers crossed for you! Wink

Sounds like you've run the gamut with treatments. Thanks for taking the time to list them for me.

RuthMarion
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 10, 2009 6:32 am      Reply with quote
The Kronos was not the answer Neutral . It's a nice product line and a bonus is that it doesn't have the bad sulfates in it. I will review it under Product Reviews.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 10, 2009 5:33 pm      Reply with quote
RuthMarion wrote:
The Kronos was not the answer Neutral . It's a nice product line and a bonus is that it doesn't have the bad sulfates in it. I will review it under Product Reviews.

That's too bad, RuthMarion! What's your next plan- or do you have one?

manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 10, 2009 7:58 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Amnis! It's great to see you on here! I've got some good news and some bad news. The bad news is that my derm prescribes a shampoo for me that works great, but it has a high percentage of salicylic acid and I think it would strip the color right off the hair unfortunately. The good news is that I have another prescription that works fabulously and I don't think it would have any effect on your color at all. It's a foam called "Luxiq"--- you massage it into your scalp 30 min or so before you take your shower (you can even sleep with it on and wash it off in the morning) and it works like a charm. Once things are under control you don't even have to use it every often--- once, maybe twice a week, maybe even less than that. Good luck!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 10, 2009 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
I've had scalp psoriasis the better part of my life so I can totally relate. I too had tried medicated shampoos and prescription stuff but they never seemed to do work and I could never stand the God awful smell of those tar shampoos. Ugh! I've also tried natural shampoos and conditioners but some of them have made my psoriasis worse too. A few years ago I changed my diet and skin care regime to organic and that has helped a lot. There are certain foods which should be avoided so that is something to consider as well. I'd suggest speaking with a naturopath or doing some research online about that. Personally what has helped me is a combination of things. I occasionally make myself nice hair oil masks with a synergy of essential oils (such as tea tree, rosemary verbenone, lavender, cedarwood, etc.) in a base oil mix of coconut, jojoba, or whatever other oils I have lying around like sesame, or almond, and add a dash of neem oil if I have any. I let the hair oil seep into my hair and scalp all day and will even go to sleep with it (put a towel on the pillow) and then thoroughly wash my hair the next day. I also find regular rinses with apple cider vinegar help a lot. Just mix some into your shampoo when lathering or mix with water and pour over your hair after shampoo. This also makes your hair really shiny. Another great hair rinse is a hair tea made of fresh calendula and chamomile. Both are very soothing and gentle for hair and scalp and excellent for light hair which would work well with any highlights you have. All these natural remedies would be safe for colour-treated hair. Unfortunately there is no cure, but there are things that make psoriasis conditions better and more manageable. Hope this helps.

Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:50 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |