Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch SPF 100+???
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 08, 2009 12:53 pm      Reply with quote
Hey I saw a commercial last night on TV that Neutrogena was advertising its sunblock with SPF100+. WOW!! Shock

Is it good? Does it mean you're fully protected?

Here's an article I found online about it:

http://www.allure.com/beauty/blogs/reporter/2009/03/do-you-need-spf-100.html
Annonymous
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 08, 2009 1:17 pm      Reply with quote
That's crazy, I'll stick with my SPF 35.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 08, 2009 1:34 pm      Reply with quote
Wow! I know my skin could it but I wonder how thick it must be. I just might look for this next time I'm out.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 08, 2009 3:10 pm      Reply with quote
It doesn't contain Mexoryl or Tinosorb, the only proven stabilizing ingredients for a chemical sunscreen. Helioplex? What is that? Any studies behind it?

I take articles in Allure with a big huge grain of salt. They are written by journalists, not scientists, and the information presented is sometimes just plain wrong.

I did try one of the other Neutrogena Helioplex sunscreens - Healthy Defense SPF 45 - and ended up with a nice tan......which isn't what I had in mind.....not much protection!!

Thumbs down, Neutrogena.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 08, 2009 4:26 pm      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
It doesn't contain Mexoryl or Tinosorb, the only proven stabilizing ingredients for a chemical sunscreen. Helioplex? What is that? Any studies behind it?

I take articles in Allure with a big huge grain of salt. They are written by journalists, not scientists, and the information presented is sometimes just plain wrong.

I did try one of the other Neutrogena Helioplex sunscreens - Healthy Defense SPF 45 - and ended up with a nice tan......which isn't what I had in mind.....not much protection!!Thumbs down, Neutrogena.

HI Fawnie,
you seem to know about sunscreen so I have to ask what do you use and if you were me what would you use...I live in South Florida, use retin-a and have some hyperpigmentation. I have small children and I can't avoid being outside in the hot sun. I do wear hats and glasses but I want a really really good sunscreen. I am now using Vichy spf 30 or 60 witch I get from Canada when I can.
It contains Mexoryl. (I do hate the white cast) I would like a sunscreen for days when I wont be spending hours in the sun and one for when I will be at the park or beach...Price is no issue when it comes to sunscreen...
Any help or advice would be GREATLY appreciated.
Lou
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 08, 2009 5:42 pm      Reply with quote
Good question about what the heck is Helioplex!

Since I didn't know, I googled Helioplex, and what did I find? Someone already started a search on Helioplex vs Mexoryl. I didn't even have to finish typing Helioplex to get that choice to click on.

I think this is a pretty good article that compares the two ingredients. The author said she'd pick Anthelios SPF50 over neutrogena because she got issues with avobenzone and oxybenzone, but she said it looks like Helioplex gives a bit better UVA protection. Hmm, interesting. Also, she said she'd pick physical sunscreen with zinc oxide any time.

http://www.vivawoman.net/2008/06/04/sunscreen-helioplex-vs-mexoryl/
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 09, 2009 6:54 am      Reply with quote
Helioplex is the name/formula neutrogena patent that is a stable combo of Avobenzone and Oxybenzone.
yoyo-mami
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 11, 2009 6:11 am      Reply with quote
spf100 pa+++,maybe +++ is more reasonable
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 11, 2009 1:56 pm      Reply with quote
I don't think we use PA rating in the US. I don't see anything about that in the article. It's just SPF100+. I am not sure + what? I thought 100 is the maximum already.
Mary11
5% products discount

Tue May 12, 2009 5:03 pm      Reply with quote
Loumomofthree,

Try La Roche Posay Anthelios 60. It is an amazing sunscreen. My dermatologist recommends it to his patients. I used to get freckles even with sunscreen and now I have milky complexion Very Happy

You can get it from Canada. It is reasonably priced.
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 12, 2009 10:46 pm      Reply with quote
Mary11 wrote:
Loumomofthree,

Try La Roche Posay Anthelios 60. It is an amazing sunscreen. My dermatologist recommends it to his patients. I used to get freckles even with sunscreen and now I have milky complexion Very Happy

You can get it from Canada. It is reasonably priced.

I recently bought LRP Anthelios 40 but haven't yet started to use it. I saw they now carry the 60. I think I'm going to return the 40 and exchange it for 60. I prefer a higher spf.
Mary11
5% products discount

Wed May 13, 2009 10:39 am      Reply with quote
Bira,

40 might be enough for you, or you might want to save it for winter.

My skin is very sun sensitive. A few minutes in the sun and I am freckled all over.

La Roche Posay products seem to work. I no longer have freckles.
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 13, 2009 1:45 pm      Reply with quote
Mary11 wrote:
Bira,

40 might be enough for you, or you might want to save it for winter.

My skin is very sun sensitive. A few minutes in the sun and I am freckled all over.

La Roche Posay products seem to work. I no longer have freckles.

Hi Mary,
I tried the tester of LRP 40 at CVS and it made my face white, but I thought white was better than sun damaged skin. The 40 has titanium dioxide in it, which was why my face was white. If you said the 60 protected you, I'd like to try it since it doesn't have titanium dioxide.

Do you have to put it on 20 minutes before sun exposure?
luyan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 13, 2009 11:29 pm      Reply with quote
I would also like to buy La Roche Posay Anthelios 60.But I worry about white

5% products discount

Thu May 14, 2009 12:27 am      Reply with quote
SPF30~50 is enough.
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 14, 2009 12:56 am      Reply with quote
Popcorn wrote:
SPF30~50 is enough.

Please explain why you said that. It is not helping me for you to just make a claim like this without any backup.
Barksdale
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 20, 2009 9:04 am      Reply with quote
I tried Neutrogena Age Shield Face Sunblock SPF 90+ today, but it made my skin hurt. I've also tried La Roche Posay Extreme Fluid and Vichy Sunscreen but both of those gave me whitening.

I'm thinking about trying Avene Emolusion instead? Btw, this is what I'm looking after in a sunscreen:

-Non whitening
-Contains ZincOxide and either Mexoryl or Helioplex

Any other suggestions to suncreens?
Divadoll
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 20, 2009 9:37 am      Reply with quote
That sounds a little like over kill. I've been using Neutrogena Pure and Free Baby sunblock lotion and it has SPF 60+. It is natural and I thought that was a large SPF!
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 20, 2009 11:06 am      Reply with quote
Divadoll wrote:
That sounds a little like over kill. I've been using Neutrogena Pure and Free Baby sunblock lotion and it has SPF 60+. It is natural and I thought that was a large SPF!

Is the baby one thick?

Some sunscreen is so thick and makes me very uncomfortable feeling greasy, etc.

I just picked up a LRP SPF 60 and it's not too thick. I like it. But if it's on top of a moisturizer, it balls up.
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 20, 2009 11:08 am      Reply with quote
Barksdale wrote:
I tried Neutrogena Age Shield Face Sunblock SPF 90+ today, but it made my skin hurt. I've also tried La Roche Posay Extreme Fluid and Vichy Sunscreen but both of those gave me whitening.

I'm thinking about trying Avene Emolusion instead? Btw, this is what I'm looking after in a sunscreen:

-Non whitening

The only SS I know with Mexoryl is LRP. (Does Vichy have Mexoryl?) The only SS with Helioplex is Neutrogena.

Not all LRP leaves a white cast. Does your LRP have Titanium Oxide in it? That's usually what causes the white cast.
Shelley01
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 20, 2009 11:42 am      Reply with quote
Barksdale - I have that problem too. Even when I use 35 it makes my skin hurt a little (I still use it...but would prefer to use something that does not hurt).

What is strange is that I use 20% vit C, 12 to 15% AHA w/out any problems at all....but sunscreen hurts a little.

I also do not like the "white" look I get when I use 70spf...which is what I use when I go to the beach.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 20, 2009 1:38 pm      Reply with quote
Bira wrote:
Barksdale wrote:

-Non whitening

The only SS I know with Mexoryl is LRP. (Does Vichy have Mexoryl?) The only SS with Helioplex is Neutrogena.

Not all LRP leaves a white cast. Does your LRP have Titanium Oxide in it? That's usually what causes the white cast.

Yes it does..

http://store.skincarelab.com/laroanflexsp.html
Mary11
5% products discount

Wed May 20, 2009 3:19 pm      Reply with quote
Bira,

"Do you have to put it on 20 minutes before sun exposure?"

I usually put it on just before going out. It does not leave a white film. I use a thin layer. It seems to work. I don't get freckles.
kdd2411
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:10 am      Reply with quote
Can anyone recommend a high SPF sunscreen that is natural and absorbs well?
hkr888
5% products discount

Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:06 pm      Reply with quote
During the summer, I tend to skip moisturizer and just use LRP spf 60 on my face. does anyone know if that's ok, or should i still use moisturizer and then sunscreen over it?

Thanks guys!
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:45 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |