Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Facial Exercise: Share the Process and Results
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:03 pm      Reply with quote
Well, I know from experience that crunches are way better than the electric stimulation of the abs so I would think that doing facial exercises would be way better than the electric current.
Dotty
5% products discount

Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:17 am      Reply with quote
Following on from my earlier posts, I have been on the FlexEffect forum where they are very helpful - Sean gave me some advice on making sure my sleep, health and nutrient levels are right before attempting any more facial exercising, because although I'm theoretically healthy it's true I've had a lot of problems with lack of sleep and general aching and so I've booked in with my doc in the hope she can screen me for vitamin/mineral deficiencies - at least I'll know if that's a factor.
It seems these factors can play a big part in the success or otherwise of any facial exercise programme - which makes sense to me.
Tonia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:15 am      Reply with quote
Dotty, please keep us posted on that. I have problems with sleep and generalized aching too. I went to the doctor about it. They ran a few tests and said, "it must be stress." Maybe they're right but it seems like more to me. Since those problems started, I've started to have sagging in my cheeks that I didn't have before. I have wondered if it is all connected. Please post any findings.

5% products discount

Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:59 am      Reply with quote
I will do Tonia, something tells me it has a big part to play. Also, this reminds me of something I read in the original Eva Fraser book, which was my first taste of facial exercises. She said with every exercise, to not do it if you are tired. She didn't explain the reasoning for this though.
My facial sagging fluctuates a lot, but does seem to mirror my sleep situation!
IMCathy
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:03 pm      Reply with quote
feeling tired and being tired is the body's signal for sleep and rest. There are chemicals released for healing and regeneration that work better during sleep because they are not competing with other processes. Like standing upright, keeping balance, using our eyes and brains for processing things from the external.
There was a study done about a generation ago showing growth hormones were released more during sleep than other times. But if you are not feeling like you are getting enough rest and not feeling recovered, that alone is a good reason not to do facial exercises during these times. If the body is telling you it needs rest and time to heal- facial exercises are taking energy away from other processes in the body, and short changing both. The face- since it is most likely low man on the totem pole as far as the body is concerned- it is more concerned with liver, pancreas, heart, lung, brain function. But it is also most likely to show you that you do need a break- a rest. Like when you see that a child needs to go to bed. You send them to bed. No arguments. No "but I want to stay up for one more show" or I ...
Take a week off from as much as possible physically when you are feeling tired enough it is reflected in your face. Just go for walk and light weight training every few days till yoiu are feeling more rested and only do massage for the face. Up your water intake and also stress vitamins.

5% products discount

Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:08 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for that Cathy, it reinforces the message about needing rest.
I had wondered why my face seems to show it most, but it being "lower profile" for the body does make sense.
IMCathy
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:13 pm      Reply with quote
Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:36 pm      Reply with quote
Dotty wrote:
I will do Tonia, something tells me it has a big part to play. Also, this reminds me of something I read in the original Eva Fraser book, which was my first taste of facial exercises. She said with every exercise, to not do it if you are tired. She didn't explain the reasoning for this though.

How about that Eva Frasier...she impresses me for so many reasons.
I took a Continuing Education course on Sleep, sleep disorders etc. It was well over a year ago but without my notes I remember that sleep cycles were critical. Some parts of the cycle were necessary for repair of the body (which would tie in with facial exercise, muscle repair, etc). Others more critical for neurological function, memory, psychological balance. Sleep is a crucial anti-aging mechanicsm (often overlooked). If you miss certain types of sleep in the cycle you are at risk. ONe of the things I remember is that people who take Ambien and similar miss out on some of the cycles in terms of time. Real sleep is always best is what this researcher said. In fact this woman was so impressive she had three several doctorates - chiropractic, podiatry. Also a few Ph.d's - it was insane. She kept rattling of the degrees.
You could tell she was in a league of her own. And single Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:36 pm      Reply with quote
Dotty wrote:

How about that Eva Frasier...she impresses me for so many reasons.
I took a Continuing Education course on Sleep, sleep disorders etc. It was well over a year ago but without my notes I remember that sleep cycles were critical. Some parts of the cycle were necessary for repair of the body (which would tie in with facial exercise, muscle repair, etc). Others more critical for neurological function, memory, psychological balance. Sleep is a crucial anti-aging mechanicsm (often overlooked). If you miss certain types of sleep in the cycle you are at risk. ONe of the things I remember is that people who take Ambien and similar miss out on some of the cycles in terms of time. Real sleep is always best is what this researcher said. In fact this woman was so impressive she had three several doctorates - chiropractic, podiatry. Also a few Ph.d's - it was insane. She kept rattling of the degrees.
You could tell she was in a league of her own. And single Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:48 am      Reply with quote
IM Cathy, Sister Sweets, its so nice to read all that you have said about lack of sleep and tiredness. It makes so much sense but somehow you need to hear it from others whose opinions you respect, rather that just think it yourself!!(or rather I do)I have had a series of things flu and colds since Xmas ( all got from my daughter who has just started school, thought id had everything NOT ) I had been doing FE since last august three x a week to great effect (DH said Id knocked off 10 yrs!!!!!) Then stopped over the flu, and colds Boy have I been tired since then (Also have a 2yr old who doesnt sleep well) My face just wasnt looking good so Ive started up again and it seems to be a bit better!! thank you for pointing things out.I suppose everyone is different regarding breaks and when we start to notice our faces sliding south again!
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:04 am      Reply with quote
10Sylvia5 wrote:
IM Cathy, Sister Sweets, its so nice to read all that you have said about lack of sleep and tiredness. It makes so much sense but somehow you need to hear it from others whose opinions you respect, rather that just think it yourself!!(or rather I do)I have had a series of things flu and colds since Xmas ( all got from my daughter who has just started school, thought id had everything NOT ) I had been doing FE since last august three x a week to great effect (DH said Id knocked off 10 yrs!!!!!) Then stopped over the flu, and colds Boy have I been tired since then (Also have a 2yr old who doesnt sleep well) My face just wasnt looking good so Ive started up again and it seems to be a bit better!! thank you for pointing things out.I suppose everyone is different regarding breaks and when we start to notice our faces sliding south again!

The ongoing battle! I'm so glad your face responded well to the exercise. Muscle has memory so it will be back! Try to get 7.5 -8 hours of sleep if possible. Have you tried Melatonin?

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:06 am      Reply with quote
I'm hoping someone might be able to offer me some advice: I've been doing FE & Ageless for about a year & a half, every other day or so. I *thought* things were working out great, but for the past couple of months people have been commenting that I look tired. (Yikes! Despite everything that I'm doing!)

I think that what's happened is that I've developed these "mouth pouches" on the sides & below my lips, giving my face sort of a drooping look. I probably wasn't concentrating as I should have been on engaging the cheek muscles during the cheek exercises & used my mouth muscles instead. Can anyone give me a good idea of how long it will take for the overbuild to go away, if I stop doing these exercises immediately? Also, is there anything I can do to speed up the process?

(I'm also in the process of getting logged on into the FE forum.)

But my eyes are looking great. I love the FE eye exercises. Those are hard to mess up.

It's so discouraging to try to improve yourself & end up with results that don't reflect the effort you put into things. *Sigh*

40 yrs old; Tanaka massage 1x/ day; HF device; retin-a .05%; FE & Carolyn's Facial Fitness every other day; green smoothies; MSM 4000mg/day; NAC 1000mg/day; ALA; Ageless Secret/ Gold combo; FIM lamp; History of Whoo skincare; homemade niacinamide toner
IMCathy
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:31 am      Reply with quote
sylvia - thank you!

JLM
If you have not taken a break from flexing at all for two years, then I would recommend taking one.
One of the hardest things to gauge is what is happening with our own muscles. I know I went through a period of time where I was positive I had not done enough for an area on my face, and upped the resistance. I wound up looking .... lumpy. That is really the only way I can describe it.
I took a break ( except for eyes scalp and neck) for almost 3 months. Then when i started back, my schedule was very light resistance simply for maintenance, and kept up massage, then about a week out of the month I do all out FE building.
But that is what works for the most part for me.
I do eyes daily.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:37 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Sis , no I havent tried melatonin what is it?
JLM
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:02 am      Reply with quote
Hi IMCathy,

Thanks for the advice. I suppose I will just be patient & wait for my pouches to go away-- although I'm tempted to get a Safetox & see whether I could somehow put it on my pouches to speed things up! I guess 3 months would be a sufficient amount of time then for the muscles to get smaller?

I had cut back to doing Tanaka massage every other day or so, but I think I'll step it up a bit to every day, maybe even twice a day as I had been doing when I was actively working on my NL's.

Thanks for responding-- it's really nice to get advice when you're feeling a bit desperate, as I am! Any other ideas on how to get the mouth muscles smaller, faster?

40 yrs old; Tanaka massage 1x/ day; HF device; retin-a .05%; FE & Carolyn's Facial Fitness every other day; green smoothies; MSM 4000mg/day; NAC 1000mg/day; ALA; Ageless Secret/ Gold combo; FIM lamp; History of Whoo skincare; homemade niacinamide toner
IMCathy
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:05 am      Reply with quote
private message for you

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:17 pm      Reply with quote
JLM - You have certainly overbuilt your lower face. THere are a few of us who have done that in our exuberance Shock I am sure IM Cathy is giving you good advice.

FWIW: As for me here is what I did:
I changed programs and it worked great. Yep - I started Carole Maggio's for several months and it was the best thing I did. Please understand I love FE and I think Deb Crowley is remarkable but I had to do things differently.

After a few months I got my nicer contours back - I was looking like Cathy says so nicely "lumpy". I did not like what was going on so I changed it up for a long while.

I still do Carole Maggio's 8 minute superset which is actually 7 minutes Laughing

I'm also back doing some of my favorite FE (love the eye exercises and I like the cheeks - fingers in mouth ones - they are great. I avoid a lot of the lower face ones and things that work with TMJ.

I think FE is the powerhouse facial exercise program; as such it can more easily overbuild and you have to be aware. I thought at first I was just going through some changes and needed to stick with it and work through but it wasnt so. It may be different for you but I'm just trying to share if I can help.

Also - I so agree JLM about increasing the Tanaka massage - I just did mine tonight and I think that is a supreme part of facial management and a skin care regimine. It just feels like you're doing something good.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:22 pm      Reply with quote
10Sylvia5 wrote:
Thanks Sis , no I havent tried melatonin what is it?

First a little background. I got this From the Mayo Clinic:

Melatonin is a hormone produced in the brain by the pineal gland from the amino acid tryptophan. The synthesis and release of melatonin are stimulated by darkness and suppressed by light, suggesting the involvement of melatonin in circadian rhythm and regulation of diverse body functions. Levels of melatonin in the blood are highest prior to bedtime.

Synthetic melatonin supplements have been used for a variety of medical conditions, most notably for disorders related to sleep.

Melatonin possesses antioxidant activity, and many of its proposed therapeutic or preventive uses are based on this property

Me Again:
Melatonin is a natural sleep aid supplement - easily and cheaply bought at any health food store or place that sells supplements. I get mine online at Vitacost.com or Iherb.com

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:35 am      Reply with quote
thanks Sis, so it naturally re sets your sleeping pattern ?
I think I am going to try it,
The only thing that is keeping me going is strong coffee, by 2 0r 3 in the pm I am really struggling to stay awake, just the time for the school run!
Its hols at the moment a good time to try this.
Thank you!
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:20 pm      Reply with quote
YOur welcome Sylvia - I hope the melatonin works. It helps me get to sleep and I tend to sleep well when I remember to take it. I forget sometimes. Confused

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:16 am      Reply with quote
Hi Sis,

Thanks for the advice. Very, very appreciated! I have a copy of CM's first book so I'll take a look at that. I was wondering though, do you feel that doing CM's exercises helped make the "lumpiness" go away faster, or do you think, in retrospect, that taking a complete rest would be more effective?

Sheesh, I always seem to be doing these things to myself in a fit of overzealousness! I can only hope that things turn out better in the long run.

sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:21 am      Reply with quote
JLM - I don't remember taking any real breaks from facial exercising though I did stop with FE completely for approximately a month. The CM routine is different in that it feels gentler, less rigorous. CM is not as itense - much less emphasis on the lower face which was detracting some for me.
I still got a lift but lost the lumpies!

Some faces just work differently. I think it's probably to your benefit that you have a face that responds - you just have to figure out the right mix. You'll do it! Smile (I am so guilty of being overzealous sometimes). I have to pull my own self back!

JLM wrote:
Hi Sis,

Thanks for the advice. Very, very appreciated! I have a copy of CM's first book so I'll take a look at that. I was wondering though, do you feel that doing CM's exercises helped make the "lumpiness" go away faster, or do you think, in retrospect, that taking a complete rest would be more effective?

Sheesh, I always seem to be doing these things to myself in a fit of overzealousness! I can only hope that things turn out better in the long run.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:43 am      Reply with quote
Tonia wrote:
Dotty, please keep us posted on that. I have problems with sleep and generalized aching too. I went to the doctor about it. They ran a few tests and said, "it must be stress." Maybe they're right but it seems like more to me. Since those problems started, I've started to have sagging in my cheeks that I didn't have before. I have wondered if it is all connected. Please post any findings.

Hi Tonia ~ Absolutely connected!! I find that when I am overly stressed, all of my muscles become fatigued. I don't have any findings to post, just anecdotal evidence....it shows right away in my face!! LOL! Whenever that happens, I just do additional cheek pumps (Carole Maggio's) to counteract the stress and deep breathing. A little whiff of lavender essential oil doesn't hurt either...known to be a stress reducer in the herbal community. Best, Aprile Smile
Vor
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:26 am      Reply with quote
daler wrote:
Well, I know from experience that crunches are way better than the electric stimulation of the abs so I would think that doing facial exercises would be way better than the electric current.
Crunches make your face wrinkle and that's not what I want at all.
That's why I started thinking of a self-trainer: I don't have to wrinkle and move my face so much. The less we move our faces, the fewer wrinkles we get.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:53 am      Reply with quote
You can't blame an exercise like crunches for causing your face to get wrinkles, after all its down to the fact that at some level your wrinkling your face and not the actual exercise itself that causes you to make wrinkles. Its like saying facial expression is the same as facial exercise - its not. Facial expression uses only a portion of the muscle, and doesn't do it with resistance, whereas with facial exercise and I know enough about them having done almost them all to know that its very different doing an exercise against resistance and forcing the whole muscle to work.

Moving the face doesn't cause wrinkles, its the tissue degrading as such, so the argument often suggested (which I do believe) is that if a person started working their face before the wrinkles showed up, their tissue and skin is much more stronger so the wrinkles and lines don't get a chance to form. I so wish I knew about facial exercises when I was younger but ca la vie - I'm definitely making up for it now.[quote="Vor]Crunches make your face wrinkle and that's not what I want at all.
That's why I started thinking of a self-trainer: I don't have to wrinkle and move my face so much. The less we move our faces, the fewer wrinkles we get.[/quote]
System
Automatic Message
Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:21 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |