Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cleansing Oils
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Toe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:04 am      Reply with quote
While on my hunt for a cleanser that suits my skin I started wondering about cleansing oils.
I would never have thought about using oils on my face before (combo, acne prone skin) but since I've been having success with Decleor Aromessence oils and balms I was wondering if cleansing oils might work to take off my make-up.

My skin won't tolerate gel cleansers and it can also become dry with foaming facial washes. I've tried a couple of milk cleansers and they seem ok but I felt they didn't really get my make-up off. I am currently using a cream cleanser (Liz Earle) in the morning and I'm pretty happy with this but I like to use it on my bare face in the morning. I need something for before bed to take off all my warpaint.
I have read good reviews of the Shu Uemura cleansing oils and also the DHC cleansing oil. Not sure about the Decleor one, sounds like that may be more suitable for normal/dry skins.
Anybody using a cleansing oil? Also, do you need to wash your face with another cleanser after using the oils or are they a complete cleanser that removes all make-up, dirt, sebum etc?

Thanks! Very Happy
moshimoshi
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:45 am      Reply with quote
Hi Toe,

The only cleansing oil that I've used is the Shu Uemura Cleansing Beauty Oil Fresher (about 3-4 years ago)... It's about $40 for 250ml Shock ... The Cleansing oil comes in 2 forms - Balancer for normal-to-dry skin and Fresher for normal-to-oily skin... Both are mineral-oil based with Jojoba oil, squalane, wine-yeast extract, and matricaria(rosemary??) extract; however, Balancer in addition has safflower and corn oil for more moisturizing effect. Now, I've just checked the shuuemura.com website... They lauched 3 different versions High Performance Balancing Cleansing Oil Original/Light/Enriched with different prices... I suspect the Light version is the same as the Fresher that I've used (both clear color...) Confused

I have combo/sensitive with acne prone skin and I found my skin (both the face & eyes) reacted harmoniously with the Fresher Smile ... It's a 2-in-1 Cleanser and Make-up Remover... You spread the oil onto the skin and then add little water which will then foam a little and rinse it off... It gave my skin a clean, soft yet not drying feeling Smile ... You should definitely give it a try...

My sister who has dry skin was using the Balancer version... She liked it very much and went on the cleansing oil venture after finishing the bottle... She also tried Kiehl's Oil-based Cleanser and Make-up Remover; however, you would need a seperate eye-make-up remover (she uses Lancome's)... Afterward, she went onto cleansing creams... some of her favorites are Mary Quant Prescribed Skin Care Revitalize Cleansing Cream and Caudalie Gentle Cleanser for Face and Eyes...

Since you have success with Decleor's products, why not give their cleansing gel a try, which is one of my fav... It cleanses and takes off make-up for me quite well... I'm also interested in trying out their Cleansing oils and Yonka Gel Cleanser which many of the forum members rave about... Smile
Toe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:17 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the info, moshimoshi.
I'll look into the cleansing oils you mentioned.

I've tried the Decleor gel and the Yon-Ka gel. Both dried the skin on my chin and nose. A problem I seem to get with all gel cleansers. Sad
Aurora
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:12 pm      Reply with quote
I use Babors 2-step cleansing oil, the hy-öl base and the pythoactive combination. I have dehydrated combo skin and I LOVE this cleanser. You use the base on dry skin and massage it in, then use the pythoactive over. Then wet your finger and massage over face until it foams a bit. Rinse of and you are done. There is no residue or oily film left on the skin. It removes all makeup, except very stubborn mascara.. Smile And you don't need to use a toner after. I only use it at night, I don't really need to cleanse in the morning.

You can get the 2-step clansing oil in a variety of different combinations of hy-öl and phytoactives. Maybe Caspers Mum can suggest a combination that will work for you? Very Happy
Mabsy

Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:20 am      Reply with quote
I have tried (and liked) the Decleor Cleansing Oil and also the Babor two-step cleansing oil as well. Both are good for makeup removal (though I don't wear heavy makeup), but I think in the end I preferred the Babor one. I have heard really positive reviews about the Shu Uemura one, athough I'm not quite sure which formulation of it I read about.

Btw, have you tried the Eve Lom one yet?
Toe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:03 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy wrote:
Btw, have you tried the Eve Lom one yet?

Haven't tried Eve Lom. I did try a cleansing balm from The Sanctuary but I didn't like the way my skin felt afterwards. It felt slightly greasy. I'm looking for an evening cleanser that I can use with my hands and water. I don't want to use a cloth in the evening as it will get dirty straight away from my make-up and I will forever be washing it. I prefer just to rub something onto my face and rinse off with water.
I almost bought the Babor two-step cleansing oil with my EDS voucher. Wish I had now! Instead I went for the Sothys gel cleanser which I can't use anymore as it dries my skin. Sad
leeleedeedee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:32 am      Reply with quote
Hello Toe,

I have used the Decleor Cleansing Oil with great results. I do have dry skin but this cleansing oil is great for all skin types and it certainly took off all of my make-up.

You just put the oil on all over your face, around the eye area and then rinse off with water. There is absolutely no oily residu left on the face. The face remains fresh and clean - all make-up off. I too canot use foaming cleansers or many other cleansers. The Decleaor Oil did not irritate my sensitive skin in any way.

I do see that the Babor Oils are getting great reviews. I have not used them yet, so I cannot compare. Hope this helps you a little.
Sassyred
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:23 am      Reply with quote
Jojoba oil works great and cheap! If you can't find near you, vitaminshoppe.com

I use it if my face is made up heavily or for eyemakeup! I use to use it before Camellia oil as night for a moisturizer.

Now it breaks out a few, but for me it clears my pores or if I have a lump/cyst it brings it to a head faster! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:36 pm      Reply with quote
Toe, I think that DHC will include samples in their catalog if you request one from them. I somehow got on their mailing list, and every few months I receive their catalog with samples (cleansing oil, mild soap, mild lotion, virgin olive oil). I have tried the cleansing oil and liked it, but I only tried samples so I didn't use it for a long period of time. You apply it to a dry face and massage it. As you add water and continue to massage, it emulsifies and rinses off completely. No residue at all that I could feel. It's been on my list of things to buy, but I just haven't gotten around to getting it yet.

hth,
Tina
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:48 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry, I give DHC the thumbs down. This is a Japanese brand, but I think one of the lesser impressive ones. Think of it in terms of a upscale drugstore brand.

For their cleansing oil, I think you would do just as good with a $6 bottle of extra virgin olive oil from the supermarket.

Body shop cleansing oil also unimpressive for me.

Eve Lom is divine. The cleansing cloths are not so expensive and I have a week's supply and so if I have make up on I just use 2 cloths, hang the up and then toss in the wash. I never have trouble getting make-up out of them. I keep a bowl of warm water for dipping my cloth into and find it no fuss at all. Honestly NOTHING cleans my skin better or leaves it as soft.

I am thinking of giving the Babor cleansing oils a try, but I am wondering if they "wash off" easily. What I love about Eve Lom is that it is so easily washed away with warm water without an oily residue.
Aurora
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:12 am      Reply with quote
tiger_tim, the Babor cleansing oil washes off really easy. Just splash on some water and pat dry. Perfect Very Happy

I think it is the second step, the pythoactive oil, that really seperates the Babor cleansing oil from the other cleansing oils. Since you choose pythoactive according to your skintype, the cleanser is able to target special problem areas you might have.
tinamarie8
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:30 am      Reply with quote
tiger_tim wrote:
Sorry, I give DHC the thumbs down. This is a Japanese brand, but I think one of the lesser impressive ones. Think of it in terms of a upscale drugstore brand.

For their cleansing oil, I think you would do just as good with a $6 bottle of extra virgin olive oil from the supermarket.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I actually have tried straight olive oil as a cleanser. Embarassed Unfortunately, the only thing that would remove it from my face was another cleanser Surprised Seriously, the only ingredient in DHC's moisturizing step (olive virgin oil; they just reversed a couple of words) *is* extra virgin olive oil; they just attach a $30 some dollar price tag to it Confused

I have tried the Babor duo; it does rinse clean for me, but I didn't like the two step process. It seemed to make my skin dry with the double cleansing.

Tina
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:12 am      Reply with quote
As I have often lamented in other posts, I have the oiliest skin you can possibly imagine so I was completely skeptical when I read on a "homemade skincare" page that you can actually use oil to cleanse your face. I thought, "why would I want to introduce MORE oil on my face?!!" But since I already had the extra virgin olive oil and cold-pressed castor oil (my mom uses it as a poultice for the arthritis in her lower back -- believe it or not, it completely takes the pain away!!) in my pantry, I figured WTH and tried it and was completely floored by the results! Not only did it completely remove my makeup, but my skin felt soft and dewy not tight, as my cleanser sometimes left it feeling. The moral here: I give using cleansing oils (be they store-bought or homemade) a BIG RAVE, so definitely give it a try!

just my two cents,
Carrie
tinamarie8
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:23 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
As I have often lamented in other posts, I have the oiliest skin you can possibly imagine so I was completely skeptical when I read on a "homemade skincare" page that you can actually use oil to cleanse your face. I thought, "why would I want to introduce MORE oil on my face?!!" But since I already had the extra virgin olive oil and cold-pressed castor oil (my mom uses it as a poultice for the arthritis in her lower back -- believe it or not, it completely takes the pain away!!) in my pantry, I figured WTH and tried it and was completely floored by the results! Not only did it completely remove my makeup, but my skin felt soft and dewy not tight, as my cleanser sometimes left it feeling. The moral here: I give using cleansing oils (be they store-bought or homemade) a BIG RAVE, so definitely give it a try!

just my two cents,
Carrie

Hi, Carrie. I agree that oil can be good as a cleanser; I think that the key with "homemade" ones is finding the appropriate oil for your skin. For me, olive oil was a no go unless I used a foaming cleanser right after. I have heard good things about hazelnut oil and jojoba oil (technically, this is a wax, I think) for skin cleansing with little residue, but I haven't tried either one. I used the olive oil/castor oil combo a few years ago when it was popular, and I still had problems with residue. My skin looked great though Razz I actually use honey as a cleanser sometimes; it is hydrating and antibacterial, so it works well for my skin. Sometimes, I also add jojoba meal and/or lavender oil to make a nice scrub Smile

Tina
RuthMarion
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:57 pm      Reply with quote
Once I used mayonnaise as a hair conditioner & it was literally YEARS before I could eat it again - I kept seeing hair in it & was totally grossed out Neutral That was the last that I used a kitchen staple (other that salt, corn starch or baking soda) for a home made substitute. I know that I would miss olive oil & honey too much to even try them as a cosmetic Laughing Laughing
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:14 pm      Reply with quote
RuthMarion wrote:
Once I used mayonnaise as a hair conditioner & it was literally YEARS before I could eat it again - I kept seeing hair in it & was totally grossed out Neutral
You know the "food fight" scene in the movie "Animal House" were John Belushi stuffed his mouth full of mashed potatoes and pretended he was a zit? My big brother reenacted that scene, but he used mayonnaise instead. To this day, I will not eat any food with mayo in it...sorry, I know that's off the subject, but I just had to share!!
JLynneCosmetics

Sat Nov 06, 2004 2:59 pm      Reply with quote
Hi gals! I'm a big fan of "Make It Yourself" skincare, so here are my recommendations ...

Try mixing a light-weight oil (Hazelnut, Grapeseed, and Extra Virgin Olive Oil are great for this) with some honey. I use Orange Blossom honey, but plain ol' Clover honey from the grocery store works great as well. I mix about 30% oil to 70% honey and just massage it all over my face. It takes off makeup, gets rid of the oilies, and makes my skin feel really soft. Give it a try!

Take care!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:30 pm      Reply with quote
I am surprised that no one mentioned fancl cleansing oil. A lot of rave on MUA and prefer it over DHC. I almost ordered babor 2 step cleansers with my voucher. However since I don't wear makeup, do I really need a oil cleanser Question
Aurora
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:36 am      Reply with quote
Oil cleansers are great for other thing than removing makup:) At least the one from Babor leaves the skin soft and clean without drying it out. Very important to me since I have very dehydrated combo skin, and most combo skin cleansers are too drying.

But not everyone likes oil cleansers, so you just have to try it. But I do think that many with dry or dehydrated skin could benefit from a oilbased cleansers Smile
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:54 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |