Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Vit C Crystals (Powder form) at Trader Joe's 16 oz = $10
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:25 pm      Reply with quote
I just bought a 16 oz bottle of Vit C crystals from Trader Joes for $10. The ingredient is Ascorbic Acid 100%. No fillers.

I know this is not L-Ascorbic Acid, but maybe it can still be used to make the Vit C serum. I'm going to try anyway. If this works, then it will be awesome.
milbader
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:43 pm      Reply with quote
No, sorry but this Vit C won't work.
I emailed Trader Joe's weeks ago and posted this reply on the DYI board:

"I've had a email back from Trader Joes regarding their Vit C crystals:

Our Trader Joe's Vitamin C Crystals are molecularly distilled. There is
no L-absorbic acid.

Thank you,

Nicki K.
Custom ..."
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:01 pm      Reply with quote
Mix it into a beverage...

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:08 pm      Reply with quote
I do actually use the Trader Joe's Vit C crystals as a supplement in the drinking water for my guinea pigs. Guinea pigs, along with humans, do not make their own Vit C.

I don't see why it could not be added into beverages.
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:45 pm      Reply with quote
oh man, that sucks! I don't want to drink this vit c. It's too sour. I'll have to return it then. I guess I'll have to order from TPF.
bombshellbella
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:56 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for letting me know though... I was going to trader joes tomorrow, now I will not be tempted to buy something I can DIY with, lol...

Thanks, hope you can return it.

33 yrs old - female - light brown hair with high lights - green eyes - medium/light skin tone yellow undertones : ROUTINE : (AM) Cold Water (PM) Facial Massage , OCM (1-2x Weekly) Home Facial (Monthly) Pro Facial ---- Things I am thinking about: Dermaroller, Facial Exercises, DIY Creams...JUST BOUGHT BABY Q POWER PACK -- Can't wait!
ammoniasmith
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:42 am      Reply with quote
The customer service person does not know what they are talking about. I have serious doubts that they were trained in chemistry and biology.

Vitamin C is always L-ascorbic acid. Humans cannot use the other form which is D-ascorbic acid. Why would they sell you something which is not used in the human body?! I think you are fine with that product.
bombshellbella
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:53 am      Reply with quote
^^Hmmmmm... I think you may be right...

http://www.rxlist.com/ascorbic-acid-drug.htm

"The chemical name of ascorbic acid is L-ascorbic acid."

Oh, and another source:
http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6587&start=0

"There are 4 stereoisomers of vitamin C - L-ascorbate, D-ascorbate, LD-ascorbate and DL-ascorbate, but only L-ascorbate has vitamin C activity, that means only L-ascorbate cures scurvy and therefore, only L-ascorbate is vitamin C and can be labeled as such. So they tend to drop the L."

Trader Joe's HERE I COMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

33 yrs old - female - light brown hair with high lights - green eyes - medium/light skin tone yellow undertones : ROUTINE : (AM) Cold Water (PM) Facial Massage , OCM (1-2x Weekly) Home Facial (Monthly) Pro Facial ---- Things I am thinking about: Dermaroller, Facial Exercises, DIY Creams...JUST BOUGHT BABY Q POWER PACK -- Can't wait!
milbader
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
Please let us know the results from using the Trader Joe's Vit C crystals. They dissolve beautifully but I still have my doubts.
bombshellbella
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:28 pm      Reply with quote
Well, I went to trader joes and bought it, along with the 99% pure aloe vera and 100% natural vitamin e softgels. So Im gonna mix some up and put it on!

Coconut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:24 pm      Reply with quote
milbader wrote:
No, sorry but this Vit C won't work.
I emailed Trader Joe's weeks ago and posted this reply on the DYI board:

"I've had a email back from Trader Joes regarding their Vit C crystals:

Our Trader Joe's Vitamin C Crystals are molecularly distilled. There is
no L-absorbic acid.

Thank you,

Nicki K.
Custom ..."

LOL, yeah, totally wrong! The other enantiomer is not biologically active. All standard vitamin c (that is, excluding the other derivative forms) is L-ascorbic acid.
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:19 pm      Reply with quote
Oh good to know. I haven't returned the C crystals from TJs yet.

Has anyone ever tried to use the C powder with just distilled water??
bombshellbella
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:26 pm      Reply with quote
Just wanted to check back on this thread. I have been using the crystals and they are fabulous so I guess its working...

I lvoe Vit C Serum.

And my mother in law used the crystals with water straight and then used baby quasar red, not sure if it made a difference but it sure did leave this weird gross residue on the bulbs.

DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:32 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah! This seems to have spread through the DIY Internet world, but it's fact to be considered and sold as Vitamin C it's L ascorbic acid whether that's listed on the label or not. As long as it's sold for consumption as Vitamin C it's L ascorbic acid, just always make sure there are no fillers. Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:38 pm      Reply with quote
Totally agree! I found C powder in a health store - no additives - and it is perfect. Dissolves in a second!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:41 pm      Reply with quote
erg wrote:
Totally agree! I found C powder in a health store - no additives - and it is perfect. Dissolves in a second!

Me too, and I have also had my local pharmacist order it for me and they both work just great! Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:01 pm      Reply with quote
I do a lot of shopping on EBay and last year bought some vitamin C serum from a seller who had the Rejuvenique electric facial masks and other products from Rejuvenique really bargain basement. Anyway, they sold like 5 or so bottles of the vitamin C as lots which are jars in powdered form, and all I do is add water. I use it sometimes alone but usually add it to creams when I'm creating facial treatments. So when I run out, I'll just head to the health food store Very Happy
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:12 pm      Reply with quote
Two brands I know right off the top of my head are Solaray and Solgar both additive free and easily found at most health food stores. I know there are others just what comes right to mind at the moment. Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:26 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah the trader joes one is straight up LAA.

TooInvolved
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:01 pm      Reply with quote
I just bought some LAA gel caps. I open the caps and use the powder inside for my Vit C serum. I hope this is OK and works...
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:52 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |